The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand?

+4
KiaRose
red_stag
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
HERSH
8 posters

Go down

Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand? Empty Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand?

Post by HERSH Thu 25 Oct - 12:03

Why do Football managers stand at the side of the pitch yet the Rugby equivalent sits in the stands?

As that’s a so called punishment for football managers! Headscratch
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand? Empty Re: Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 25 Oct - 12:14

Simple Hersh

Soccer players miss their Mums a lot, and the manager becomes a surrogate. If they can't see him easily they might get upset, trip over and have to be hospitalised with a broken fingernail.

Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand? Empty Re: Manager/Coach/DOR - Pitchside or in the Stand?

Post by red_stag Thu 25 Oct - 12:57

Some coaches (e.g. Guy Noves) always appear to be pitchside.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Thu 25 Oct - 12:59

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Simple Hersh

Soccer players miss their Mums a lot, and the manager becomes a surrogate. If they can't see him easily they might get upset, trip over and have to be hospitalised with a broken fingernail.

Wink

Yahoo

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 25 Oct - 21:49

I would be in favour of sitting in the stand. If I was a player I think it would be off putting to have a coach roaring at you from the sidelines.

Soccer managers do it all the time but to me it looks egotistical. Having a word from the sideline once in a while is perfectly alright.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 26 Oct - 0:16

Soccer players are dumb and need to be told what to do?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 26 Oct - 5:16

I remember when i was at school and our coach would yell all game from the sideline.

Very annoying.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 26 Oct - 9:11

Our school teacher/coach was very calm during a game, he'd save until the next training session, the Bar Steward
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 26 Oct - 9:50

gowales wrote:I remember when i was at school and our coach would yell all game from the sideline.

Very annoying.

Very true. Last season when refereeing an U14 schools match I dismissed a coach from the side line for essentially bullying one of his kids who was playing badly. Poor kid was nearly in tears by half time. Theres shouting and there is just being a chunt.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Oct - 10:37

I would find it easier sitting at an elevated positon (in the stand) to see some of the patterns of play in rugby, such as back line moves, positioning, etc. At pitch side, and with the size of these guys, I'd be mainly staring at their hips!

At the Cardiff Blues I remember the Scrum V programme always used to try to find Rob Howley when he was assistant as he liked to be in the stand looking down the length of the pitch, while the head coach (Dai Young) would always be in the satand but at the side of the pitch. I have watched a game from hospitality at Rodney Parade looking down the length of the pitch (so elevated view) and it does give you a good view of the lines that players run and their ability to find gaps or put players into space. Maybe as a backs coach this is what Howley liked about it too?

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 28 Oct - 14:54

The all important laptops are too difficult to stay pitchside.

Coaches like to pretend to get a better view.

Coaches are generally lazy, and have a radio pack on to give instructions to the 'water boys' / 'Physio' etc...

IMHO it is always easier to see more when elevated, why coaches need to pithside is beyond me, all of their instructions can be relayed to who ever is pitchside.

Football is different as players constantly come up against differing situations and opponents, and therefore constant direction can aid a footballers positional play, tectical play and technical issues. Rugby is far more structured by team tactics and issues rarely arise that can't be adressed at half time.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down