The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh

+39
Rory_Gallagher
Irishhoneymonster
21st Century Schizoid Man
Janecory
Unclear
UlstermaninGlasgow
Inside_shoulder
The Great Aukster
LeinsterFan4life
Morgannwg
trustedwomble
SirJohnnyEnglish
The Boss
GLove39
WillyGilly
VinceWLB
clivemcl
Scot Abroad
Hookisms and Hyperbole
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Manky-Flanker
Kingshu
cp10
bsando
funnyExiledScot
BelfastDickVet
MrsP
EWT Spoons
TJ1
Standulstermen
Rava
RDW
Artful_Dodger
tigertattie
George Carlin
Golden
red_stag
rodders
Notch
43 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh - Page 5 Empty Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh

Post by Notch Tue 30 Oct 2012, 2:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, the Pro12 picks up at Ravenhill on Friday night under the shadow of the impending test matches and it's because of those this match is pretty hard to call right now. Ulster are heavy favourites on form, but there's a joker in the deck; a lot will depend on what players are released from their respective national squads for the weekend

Ulster are missing 14 players from their regular squad- either to Ireland duty or injury- and a number of niggling injury worries has meant players we might normally expect to get back haven't been released.

Ulster XV & replacements to face Edinburgh, RaboDirect PRO12, Friday 2nd November, Ravenhill (7.05pm):
(15-9): R Andrew; C Cochrane, J Payne, P Wallace, C Gilroy; R Pienaar, P Marshall;
(1-8): C Black, N Brady (capt), J Afoa, L Stevenson, N McComb, S Ferris, M McComish, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, R Lutton, A Macklin, R Diack, N Williams, N O'Connor, S Olding, P Nelson.

Unavailable for selection (14):
Rory Best, Tommy Bowe, Tom Court, Darren Cave, Chris Farrell, Declan Fitzpatrick, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paddy McAllister, Johann Muller, Andrew Trimble, Dan Tuohy.

There's an element of rotation with Jared Payne moving to outside centre to allow Ricky Andrew to make his full Ulster debut at fullback and Roger Wilson making his first Ulster start in four years- the impressive Nick Williams will surely enjoy wreaking havoc form the bench in the second half. Whilst Ulsters depth has improved tenfold in recent times, this is a much weakened side- even if it does have a spine of experience (Brady, Afoa, Ferris, Wilson, Pienaar, Wallace, Payne).

However, Edinburgh themselves are missing 10 to the Scottish squad- Geoff Cross, David Denton, Ross Ford, Allan Jacobsen, Ross Rennie, Nick De Luca, Lee Jones, Greig Laidlaw, Matt Scott and Tim Visser are all taking part in preparations for Scotlands clash with New Zealand on the 11th November. Stuart McInally and Grant Gilchrist have been released to face Ulster this weekend.

Edinburgh team:

1 Yapp
2 Titterell
3 Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 McAlipne
6 Cox (Capt)
7 Grant
8 McInally
9 Leck
10 Hunter
11 Brown
12 King
13 Houston
14 Jones
15 Tonks

Subs Walker, Jacobson, Niven, VDV, Watson, Rees, Fife, Visser jnr

The absence of 21 players to either Scotland or Ireland plus injuries gives both teams a fairly unfamiliar look, with the honours likely to go to the side who adapts best.

Last edited by Notch on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh - Page 5 Empty Re: Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh

Post by Morgannwg Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Will Ulster ever stop this try-scoring?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh - Page 5 Empty Re: Pro12 Round 8; Ulster vs Edinburgh

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Lineout has been poor tonight.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:44 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Will Ulster ever stop this try-scoring?

That bollix Payne hogging them all, give it to Gilroy man! Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:45 pm

Shame they've also done some horrendous stuff!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

holy cow, Tonks dropped a high ball!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

Great game from Diack in the second row.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:46 pm

In other news, Munster are playing terrible. You guys and Leinster are vying for Ireland's top Province. I think both are as good as each other, although Leinster are still the HEC champs. Nice to see a different team tearing up the Rabo and Europe though. And the rugby being played is great.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:49 pm

Yes well deserved Gilroy!!! he has been superb!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

Harsh final try that - again just so easy for Ulster

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

Actually should have been a penalty..maybe.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:50 pm

Another soft try conceded by Edinburgh picard

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:51 pm

cheeky bump on cox to get the ball.. losing streak continues Sad

Well done Ulster, deserved victory!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

Look delighted with that result. Superb second half performance. Over the moon.

Really sorry for Edinburgh though, gives me no pleasure to add to their losing run. Hope they turn it around soon and take some positives from the game guinness .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:53 pm

Credit to Cox though - he grafted all game and was at full pelt chasing that ball from half way - Fife was just jogging behind him.

Edinburgh's defence is a laughing stock - our defence coach (who the hell is he) has to go

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:53 pm

Roger Wilson mugs Jared Payne and Craig Gilroy for the MOTM!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:56 pm

I agree Rodders.

There have got to be positives for Edinburgh though.

Gotta love the interviewer asking the MOTM from the team after 9 wins from 9.

Asks him if he thinks Ulster are close to clicking?

Doh

I know what he means like, but...

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:57 pm

The frustrating thing for me is that Ulster didn't really have to get out of 2nd gear tonight - and they clearly didn't have to. We worked so hard for our points and things came to Ulster so easily. Very disappointing - again.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Credit to Cox though - he grafted all game and was at full pelt chasing that ball from half way - Fife was just jogging behind him.

Edinburgh's defence is a laughing stock - our defence coach (who the hell is he) has to go

A quick google informs me that 'Billy McGinty' is the Edinburgh defence coach

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:58 pm

Was he taken off the streets or something?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:59 pm

Fantastic result...was worried enough about this one with so many players out.

You didn't go Mrs P?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:04 pm

Couldn't get a ticket rodders.

Can you believe that!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:11 pm

I think Rodders the man of the match award was chosen by Roger Wilson's mum. He did play well though. The person who designed the Kidney clock should also do one for when Jared O'Payne becomes Irish qualified. At least then we wouldn't have to WUM on the Munster boards (not that I haven't been having a whale of a time doing it. Although lets be honest, you are the Robin to my Batman).
Marshall gave a special demonstration for me why he isn't an international scrum half. Gilroy showed why he is the best young winger in Ireland. Ulster currently have the best three in Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy. Gilroy does everything Zebo does only better. That said with Zebo, Kearney and Gilroy we are going to be ok for wings in the future for Ireland.
Callum Black gave a very encouraging performance.
Ferris, before going off injured, look a long way short of his best. I don't think we can blame injury layoffs. He's been constantly injured for the past three seasons and managed to be excellent when he stepped on the pitch. He wouldn't be in my Ireland team at present on form.
Pienaar is quite good. Niall O'Connor isn't.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

Roger Wilson's mum sits just by us in the stand!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:17 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:I think Rodders the man of the match award was chosen by Roger Wilson's mum. He did play well though. The person who designed the Kidney clock should also do one for when Jared O'Payne becomes Irish qualified. At least then we wouldn't have to WUM on the Munster boards (not that I haven't been having a whale of a time doing it. Although lets be honest, you are the Robin to my Batman).
Marshall gave a special demonstration for me why he isn't an international scrum half. Gilroy showed why he is the best young winger in Ireland. Ulster currently have the best three in Trimble, Bowe and Gilroy. Gilroy does everything Zebo does only better. That said with Zebo, Kearney and Gilroy we are going to be ok for wings in the future for Ireland.
Callum Black gave a very encouraging performance.
Ferris, before going off injured, look a long way short of his best. I don't think we can blame injury layoffs. He's been constantly injured for the past three seasons and managed to be excellent when he stepped on the pitch. He wouldn't be in my Ireland team at present on form.
Pienaar is quite good. Niall O'Connor isn't.

I agree with all of this, particularly with regard to Paul Marshall, we (Ireland fans) often criticize Reddan's box kicking, but Marshall's box kicking really means that he shouldn't be playing internationally if we're honest.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

Well I think the MOTM award was chosen by Roger Wilson's agent actually.... Whistle

Ah now Artful I don't accept that. I thought Marshall was excellent and his box kicking is the best around.

Jarod O'Payne is some player, if he keeps this up he could earn a spot as Keith Earls understudy when he qualifies....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

Beat me to it Hooky! Like it or not, we have done it with strauss. We have shown we are open to it. So, plain and simple. Can BOD hang on for another year and a half till Jared becomes IQ??

You can complain all you want, but if you want the best possible Irish team in a year and a halfs time, it will undoubtedly involve Jared Payne somewhere.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:24 pm

Dodger I should add this. Tomas O'Leary is a better box kicker than Marshall. Marshall has a habit of doing someone superb and following it up with someone painfully dreadful. He's not an international scrum half at all. He just doesn't have it to play at that level.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:29 pm

clivemcl wrote:Beat me to it Hooky! Like it or not, we have done it with strauss. We have shown we are open to it. So, plain and simple. Can BOD hang on for another year and a half till Jared becomes IQ??

You can complain all you want, but if you want the best possible Irish team in a year and a halfs time, it will undoubtedly involve Jared Payne somewhere.

I agree. I hate it, I hate the principle. I think it is totally immoral and unsporting, but at the end of the day there is no point is Ireland being the only nation that refuse to simply follow the rules the IRB lay down. Bent is different, he actually is Irish qualified. I know people are giving off about him not playing a minute here and stepping off the plane and whatever. I couldn't care less about it to be honest. Strauss has been here three years, he's young. Is he not married to an Irish girl? He's probably more Irish that me, you know, cause I'm a big Union Jack waving Presbyterian and all. Payne would push BOD to 12 if he was available now. Simple as that.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:29 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:Dodger I should add this. Tomas O'Leary is a better box kicker than Marshall.

Jeebus Hookie have you been on the sauce! Next you'll be saying Earls is an international 13!

Clive if Payne goes back to NZ I'm going with him! Kiwi
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:34 pm

Sorry to say I'm not a big fan of Marshall. Good squad player and occasional starter, but not an international for me. My main reason is I find it morally repugnant that an international player could walk on the pitch in a child's size rugby shirt and it fit. It's simply not acceptable.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:37 pm

I think Marshall is the best scrumhalf in the country and you can tell him I said so if you see him.

#justice4ulstermidgets.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

I agree Marshall isn't international standard Hookism's, but to say that it has anything to do with his height I absolutely disagree with. ( not sure if you were being sarcastic) But Will Genia is only half an inch taller than Marshall and is probably the best Scrum Half in the world. (except for Pienaar obviously OK )

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:42 pm

Just home. Thought Wilson was well deserved as motm. Pay e the only other candidate for me though Gilroy did well. Can't wait to see the 2nd try again.

Andrew doesn't look ready IMO and Nelson seems a better bet. Bit harsh given his first star but I think so. Line out was poor because of the changes. Losing Stevenson set us back massively and losing fez moreso. I am seriously worried about his future in the game Crying or Very sad

Seriously worried when Pienaar went off but things improved greatly on his return. Edinburgh were decent but their scrum is seriously poor given Macklin got the better of it.

For 40 odd minute I thought Marshall was playing to impress kidney but he came good. Still far from perfect for ulster but when we hit form we put the points on!

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:45 pm

Most of what I say is sarcastic. I left these boards for a good while since a couple of posters ruined all the international threads. Now I'm just being a nasty little WUM everywhere but on Ulster boards. I do think size is an issue in a small way- he seems afraid of the contact to me. Thats not a massive problem in itself-just look at Stringer. The difference is Stringer had a bullet pass. I watched the 'miracle' match there on Youtube and his passing was nothing short of phenomenal. It's just the rest of his game was pretty poor. Marshall's all round game is better, but is passing is just ok.

I have to be honest that Murray has been good I think this season apart from the match against Racing where he was the biggest abomination this side of Sodom and Gomorrah. Otherwise he's been pretty good. I think this use it or lost it rule has got his game back to basics where it was when he first got in the Munster side. He actually has a fast and pretty accurate pass. I have no earthly idea what Deccie did to him.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:46 pm

Christ - even sale can manage a win!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:51 pm

Hookisms and Hyperbole wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Beat me to it Hooky! Like it or not, we have done it with strauss. We have shown we are open to it. So, plain and simple. Can BOD hang on for another year and a half till Jared becomes IQ??

I agree. I hate it, I hate the principle. I think it is totally immoral and unsporting, but at the end of the day there is no point is Ireland being the only nation that refuse to simply follow the rules the IRB lay down. Bent is different, he actually is Irish qualified. I know people are giving off about him not playing a minute here and stepping off the plane and whatever. I couldn't care less about it to be honest. Strauss has been here three years, he's young. Is he not married to an Irish girl? He's probably more Irish that me, you know, cause I'm a big Union Jack waving Presbyterian and all. Payne would push BOD to 12 if he was available now. Simple as that.

I agree to some extent Hooky, but short of doing some sort of irishness test, we can't really differentiate. I'd love Payne to play for Ireland, but only if he settled here, and stayed here long after the first three years. If He married a local, and she popped out a little one and they called him Ruairí, that would all make me feel a lot better about it. We can't make the players do a powerpoint presentation to the IRFU on why they love Ireland with all their heart though...

Also, in fairness, NOC had a decent game of the bench I though.

Last edited by clivemcl on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

Hook I think Marshall is much more physical than Stringer, and pretty tenacious in the tackle... but that's an interesting point now you mention it, maybe he is less confident in taking the contact since that elbow problem because he does seem less keen to take defenses on?

I'm really happy with Marshall's form actually. Was debating with a Welsh fan on another thread who's convinced that Marshall should be starting scrum half for the Lions......

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:53 pm

Has Payne stated that he wanted to play for Ireland? I'm sure one of the NZ super rugby teams will be after him if he keeps up this form.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

He has no choice LF4L..... I've nicked his passport Wink Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:56 pm

Sure an Irish test is easy. Just ask them a question about foreigners and if they start it with 'I don't want to be racist but...' then you know they are grand.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:59 pm

I don't think NZ give a fiddlers f*ck about whoever plays overseas. He is an exceptional talent but I think this shows how far we are behind.he would have to displace Conrad smith or Israel dagg Shocked

They are just bloody scary in terms of talent

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

Any word on Ferris stand? Looked like his ankle. Doesn't look good at all. Seemed a bit out of sorts even before it happened.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:15 pm

Evening all. Hope you are all well satisfied with that. Another six tries in the bag and with almost a full strength Ravens team as well thumbsup

P.S. Gilroy is better than Zebo. You heard it here first.

Rodders just before Ferris got injured he was playing his best rugby of the season. Seems to like boshing No.12's.
I'd say he's out of the AI's though Crying or Very sad
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm

Gilroy is better than everyone! king

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:22 pm

Did you not get my text Rava?

Rodders there was wanting you to come on in the second row when Stevenson went off.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:24 pm

Aye what happened Rava?.. poor Diack had to hold the fort instead...fair play though the lad did good! OK Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:32 pm

Stevenson was calling the lineout and that is why it went to shoite when he went off. Hope he isn't badly injured. Diack did well in the second row. McCombe had a storming game. Have you seen another rugby player who has legs as long as that fella?
Thought McComish was outstanding as well.

Mrs P. I didn't take the phone in with me. Hannah told me off the last time for sending messages and tweeting during the game Very Happy
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm

McCombe was excellent all right.

Hope you got down to Paddy Power after I gave you that tip last time Rava Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:37 pm

I think Gilroy needs to be more solid.I would actually think(I hasten to add only think) about 15 for him. He is comfortably worse than Trimble and Bowe in the tackle (IMO) but he is so bloody dangerous.

I genuinely thought ferris was ok(which is dreadful in his terms) and I'm worried, sorry rava.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 02 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

Stand, he was playing himself into the game I think. For about five minutes before he got the first twist I though he was awesome.
I'd be worried if we didn't have these other fellas banging on Anscombes door. Certainly if hes out for a period of time he'll be a big loss but we have the depth to cope well with his absence.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next