The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

+41
Atila
owen10ozzy
Duty281
Ent
dummy_half
JPX
CFCNick
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
lorus59
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
NickisBHAFC
Noble-Surfer
Mat
mobilemaster8
Nakatomi Plaza
azania
Hulking_up
Fernando
TRUSSMAN66
JamesLincs
Il Gialloblu
as1079
MetalMotty
Kay Fabe
GSC
Liam
lfc91
Soldier_Of_Fortune
LivinginItaly
MIG
Stella
liverbnz
Geordie
Lumbering_Jack
Kenny
Good Golly I'm Olly
Small Time
hampo17
nasisillmatic
Crimey
45 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 5 Empty Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by Crimey Wed 31 Oct 2012, 11:01 am

First topic message reminder :

For all Liverpool's based discussion.

If you're here just to wind Liverpool fans up, don't bother posting.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 5 Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 24 Dec 2012, 4:52 pm

I think Butland is gonna be a top keeper in 5 years time. But he'll need playing time to develop like Hart had
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux - Page 5 Empty Re: Liverpool FC Thread: Numero Deux

Post by GSC Mon 24 Dec 2012, 5:42 pm

I'd be very surprised if Butland is ever a top keeper. More hype than substance
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 26 Dec 2012, 7:58 pm

What a start to the game! 2-1!

Looking like you're physically outmatched so far...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 26 Dec 2012, 9:28 pm

Physically outmatched all game. Not one Liverpool player had a first touch today.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 1:20 pm

Just trying to gauge the mood from various forums, but how many fans now think BR should be sacked? Me personally i think he might aswell be given to the end of the season. But at the same time i dont think hes right for the job. Seems more worried about possession then goals. And am i right in saying we were better of this time last year with KK at the healm points wise?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Dec 2012, 1:23 pm

You had more points but this year you're closer to 4th place in some weird twist of fate!

Rodgers's teams always possess the ball a lot, but a lot of the time they really lack a proper cutting edge. It's why I found Swansea so boring to watch last year, seemed as if they were passing the ball for the sake of it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 1:44 pm

I wouldn't want Rodgers to be sacked. For me, Martin Tyler got it spot on last night when he said Liverpool were going two steps forward and one step back. There have been signs of progress, just not quite at a consistent-enough rate. The owners will need to back BR in the coming month and, if they do, I genuinely can see things improving

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

Sacking Rodgers would be crazy, he is slowly getting the team to play the way he wants and sacking him would be a big step backwards. Look at the goals we conceded last night and they were because of awful defending from the usually solid Agger and Skrtel.

Too many players weren't up for the physical battle that always happens against Stoke.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 27 Dec 2012, 4:56 pm

Sacking Rogers I agree would be madness. He has Liverpool in a position which represents where they should be in terms of talent within the squad. If you manage to keep a hold of Suarez and make a couple of additions no reason you can't push for top 7 next year.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:06 pm

I agree sacking him isnt the way to go. But ive already resigned myself to the fact that a top 8 finish would actually be a good result for us!(which is quite depressing). You guys ever read some of the comments on the lfctv site? Between some 'fans' saying rodgers should be sacked and some saying "all we need to do is sign falcao and neymar and we will be a force", it isnt hard to see way some of my friends are under the impression that liverpool fans are deluded!!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 27 Dec 2012, 8:11 pm

I follow this thing on twitter called RAWK Meltdown or something, which is an account which posts things posted on the Red and White Kop forum, so I checked it out and some of the stuff posted on there truly boggles the mind. These people must be deluded
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu 27 Dec 2012, 9:50 pm

These are the positions I think Liverpool need some players in january that I think will help them achieve a top 8 finish:

ST - BENT - With Huntelaar signing a new contract Liverpool really need a out and out goal scorer, which are hard to come by in January. I think Suarez is much more effective playing off an out and out striker, so he can link up the play and drop deep. He does this now, but once it goes out to the wings there's no one in the middle to aim for as Suarez has dropped off deep. Clearly not all is right with him at Villa and he has proven he can score in the PL. Won't cost as much as his previous fees either.

LW and RW - Need some pace down the wings. Not sure who's available. Personally I would have done everything in the summer to get Hoillet as I thought last season he was superb. Pace, skillful and knows where the back of the net is. Amazed you didn't go for him. Any names out there?

CM - Allen hasn't quite been able to hit the form he was in last season although I think with Lucas back he would prosper as he could be more adventurous now knowing he has genuine cover behind him if he did go forward. Gerrard isn't the player he was and Shelvey isn't at the level to start there imo, neither is Henderson or will ever be.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:01 pm

So Sturridge is signed. Still think its incredible that you haven't gone for Ba. Think having a proven PL goal scorer for just 7m would have been ideal, and would have allowed Suarez to play in behind, where I think he thrives.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:51 pm

I'm personally excited by the Sturridge signing. He's young with bags of pace and ability, gets criticised a lot for his time at Chelsea but he has had Drogba, Anelka and now Torres in the pecking order before him.

Rumours that we've tried for a loan deal for Villa but Barca only want a permanent deal and that he would likely cost £16m.

Was reading on the LFC website today that Jordan Henderson was quarantined before the QPR game with sickness and diarrhoea yet still played 60 minutes, fair play to the lad because I wouldn't go out and play football live on sky tv when I had the trotts.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:24 pm

I'm really disappointed in the signing of Sturridge which suggests nobody has learnt from previous mistakes. He's probably the most overrated forward in the Premier League and there is a reason he has failed at City and Chelsea and that's because he isn't good enough.

Spending £12 million for a player who offers very little but pace is very disappointing. How a player who is notorious for not passing will fit into a possession based system is anybody's guess.

It frustrates me that we've just spent £12 million on Sturridge, but couldn't stump up £1 million more for Dempsey who scored more goals than Sturridge last year and wanted to join Liverpool rather than with Sturridge who just doesn't want to stay at Chelsea.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

Some stats from last season (taken from the Liverpool Echo so not sure how accurate they are)

Games 30
Goals 11
Conversion rate 15%
702 passes
27.86 passes averaged every 90 minutes
32 chances created
3 assists.

I personally think Sturridge gets a lot of undue stick from fans, you mentioned that he didn't make it at City he was 19 when he left and hasn't been able to force his way infront of Drogba, Anelka or Torres at Chelsea. Much more opportunity for him to show what he can do at Anfield.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Thing is who will play up front Suarez or Sturridge?

I'm in the same boat with Crimey in that I think it will turn out to be a bad signing by Liverpool but you have to give him a chance because he does have talent. I just think he's quite up himself personally and Brendan Rodgers would be perfect for toning that down. Oh wait...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:44 pm

That's what i've been saying. I don't think, imo, Suarez is an out and out striker. He's like the Rooney type mold where he likes to drop off the striker and link up with the midfield in the final third, and drive forward against the defence. That's why I think Liverpool needed an out and out goal hanger if you like, someone to stay in the 6 yard box to allow Suarez to drop off.

So many times Suarez has come deep, got Liverpool into good positions but then has to sprint into the box to make himself available. Allot of the time its not possible. If Liverpool could have signed Ba, you have a guy who will be that missing link, offers a good areal threat for the wingers to aim for, and has a proven goal scoring record in the PL, all for a poultry sum of 7m!

Gerrard Lucas
Downing Suarez Sterling
Ba

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

Thing is Rodgers's system isn't really that Liam. His is more of a 4-3-3 with a guy holding (Lucas/Allen) and two ahead of him with two wingers and a forward.

That's why I don't understand the signing of Sturridge unless you move Suarez out wide which would be a mistake imo.

Rodgers won't change his system. Man is too stubborn
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

I think the 4-2-3-1 system would suit Liverpool far better. TBH, I think it is the best modern system.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

No way Rodgers will change his style and system. Not a chance
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:56 pm

Pretty much the perfect assist from Gerrard there.

Suarez is probably the in-form player at the moment.

Halfway through the season and I'd say Suarez and Van Persie are the two major contenders for player of the season. Michu could challenge if he keeps his form up as well.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 9:05 pm

Interesting that Gerrard is just 1 assist of his best assists total ever in the Premier League with 8 this year, he got 9 in 2008-09.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:10 am

Crimey wrote:Interesting that Gerrard is just 1 assist of his best assists total ever in the Premier League with 8 this year, he got 9 in 2008-09.

How is that possible? He's been poor all season, his legs have gone, he isn't THAT player anymore. Very Happy

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:33 am

I could have played that pass into that much space Smile

He doesn't maraud around the pitch any more but maybe uses his brain and experience.

I still prefer the Gerrard of old though.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:06 am

We would all prefer the Gerrard of old without a doubt. Like you said he is using his brain and experience a lot more now because his physical attributes have dwindled with age.

Fans still want to see the 25 yard screamers and him covering every blade of grass, but fail to see that Gerrard has had to adjust his game and is still our most creative midfielder.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

His form has definitely improved lately and he seems totally fit for the first time in a couple of years.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:57 am

I've always thought that is Rafa was not our manager during Gerrards prime years, he wouldn't still be playing today.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

I hope we can maintain our current form over the next few weeks and really start to put pressure on making a top 4 place even if we dont eventually make it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:55 am

What sort of side do you see your lot putting out on sunday?

Are we Stags looking at losing 0-3 or 0-5?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

not really sure what side we will put out , i hope we play a good side as this is our best chance of winning something

i would play

Jones
Wisdom Coatez Carragher Enrique
Henderson Shelvey Coady
Suso Sturridge Downing
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:35 am

You seen the pitch at Mansfield? Someone tweeted a pic of a section of it. Lets say it may hamper your passing game a little!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:51 am

that might suit Sturridge , we would have to look to get the ball to him quicker . I hope Rodgers does play him as an early goal would do him good , stop the boo boys from getting on his back straight away
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:03 am

Olly wrote:You seen the pitch at Mansfield? Someone tweeted a pic of a section of it. Lets say it may hamper your passing game a little!

Hope so mate. Should hamper their passing game far more than it does our hoof!!! game, which may keep the score down a bit for us.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:05 am

Kenny wrote:not really sure what side we will put out , i hope we play a good side as this is our best chance of winning something

i would play

Jones
Wisdom Coatez Carragher Enrique
Henderson Shelvey Coady
Suso Sturridge Downing

A few names I don't recognise there Kenny. I stopped really following the PL a few years ago though.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 3:46 pm

Not too different to the side Kenny posted:

Jones

Wisdom
Coates
Carragher
Robinson

Lucas
Allen
Shelvey

Suso
Sturridge
Downing

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:09 pm

I didn't realise Enrique was out for 6 weeks , im glad we have a decent side out although i would of given the lad Coady a game
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

I want to know why Rodgers refuses to play Assaidi, he really impressed me in the Europa League and he's just the type of player we should be playing, even just as an impact sub. Quick and attacking players are what we don't have enough of.

Good first finish from Sturridge, but he's had two really clear cut chances since then, the third chance should definitely have been a goal. Will put it down to debut nerves.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:45 pm

Not got ESPN , but listening to the radio . Sturridge sounds like he's putting himself about abit ? making some decent runs
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:46 pm

Yeah he's playing well, Shelvey and Sturridge linking up the best. Suso has been very disappointing though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Yes not really heard his name mentioned much , do you think Rodgers will stick with him ? i meen not much point bringing Sterling on if not needed
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:53 pm

Suso is a player with bags of ability but unlike Sterling I think he lacks confidence to try certain things. I actually believe when Rodgers subbed him after 30 minutes it damaged his self belief.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:54 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't bring on Sterling or Suarez, as much as there will be temptation to put them on to let them run riot not worth the risk with such a tough run of games coming up.

Suso could stay on, very comfortable at the moment anyway and as they tire he'll be able to come into the game and boost his confidence. I reckon he'll be taken off eventually though. I'd bring on Coady, Flanagan and Henderson as long as still ahead; Suso, Wisdom and Lucas to go off.

Really should be 3 or 4 up, Sturridge should have a hat-trick, he has had 4 very, very good chances and only converted one.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Jan 2013, 4:56 pm

Hopefully the nerves will start to go , and he will get a couple more Very Happy
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

Doesn't help himself does he?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:21 pm

the hand of God Whistle
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

Don't think anything more needs to be said of Suarez. He is an out and out cheat a d frankly is a disgrace to the game. Refs need to wise up to his actions. If he played for Newcastle I don't think I would support him, as good as he is.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

in real time it looked very innocent, then its completely reversed when slowed down :S harsh on mazza and mansfield

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:25 pm

I can't express how I feel about Suarez right now. Site rules don't allow it.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jan 2013, 5:26 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Don't think anything more needs to be said of Suarez. He is an out and out cheat a d frankly is a disgrace to the game. Refs need to wise up to his actions. If he played for Newcastle I don't think I would support him, as good as he is.

As a Liverpool fan I can't warm to him. Great player no doubt but a horrible little runt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next