The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

+13
golfermartin
princedracula
goldwolf
incontinentia
super_realist
Diggers
gaelgowfer
Hemmingway
Doon the Water
Tinmar
kwinigolfer
GPB
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? Empty Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 4:59 pm

Clarke looks likely to be next..Westwood will probably be out of the top 100 in four years time...Harrington also......Bjorn is European and will most likely get a continental nod in the Usa !!!....By that time Poulter, will be in his 40s......Lawrie, mcginley, Jiminez worthy enough to be considered???

In six years time the European team will look so much different than it is now with the influx of talent etc...

Who is nailed on as a future Captain and who is destined to miss out!! so many candidates and just a bi-annual tournament!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? Empty Re: Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by GPB Fri 02 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

IMO, Jimenez and Lawrie will never be Captains.

McGinley? I really do not know what he can bring to the table. I realize that he has paid his dues, but jeez, the guy just doesn't have the resume that his competition has.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? Empty Re: Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 02 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

Agree that Jimenez and Lawrie will miss out, as will Karlsson.

McGinley / Clarke / Bjorn / Harrington / Westwood: That'll be the next five!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 6:26 pm

Interesting you think Mcginley will be next..

Thought Clarke was nailed on.............

Think you're pretty spot on with your list apart from mcginley Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Fri 02 Nov 2012, 7:05 pm

GPB wrote:IMO, Jimenez and Lawrie will never be Captains.

McGinley? I really do not know what he can bring to the table. I realize that he has paid his dues, but jeez, the guy just doesn't have the resume that his competition has.

It all depends on your view of what the role of Ryder Cup Captain really is. There is certainly an argument that all of the players competing are at the very top of the game and they don't need any great input from a Captain. All that is required is somebody who does the basic formalities and doesn't mess up. That being the case, the captaincy is really about rewarding players who have had great careers. Paul McGinley's career doesn't match up to most of the people he will be up against and so he could well miss out.

However, if you believe that a Captain really can make a difference, Paul would have a very good chance. I think he could well be the best Captain of all the players mentioned. But it is surely 2014 or never for Paul.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 03 Nov 2012, 5:37 am

McGinley for me.
For goodness sake, they are picking a captain not a player.
Clarke is popular but McGinley is the stronger candidate.

Bjorn will also be a good choice.
Lawrie may be a bit too dour even though I think he would do a good job.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemmingway Sat 03 Nov 2012, 5:56 am

Hello everyone, long time reader making his debut here (so be gentle). In my opinion Mc Ginley would bring much 'team event' leadership experience and commands the respect of the top european players despite not having a 'glittering' winning cv. There are those who have had 'glittering' cvs but have been failures in team golf events.

Hemmingway

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 03 Nov 2012, 6:16 am

Great thread Trussman. OK

GPB wrote:IMO, Jimenez and Lawrie will never be Captains.

You haven't stated why you think Jimenez or Lawrie won't be Captains?

Nevertheless, you may well be correct about Lawrie. I'm sure he commands the respect of his fellow players and scottish golf has benefited greatly thanks to his support both hands on and financially. Still, it doesn't alter the fact that he comes across as being a bit dour and I think a captain's role commands someone with a bit of charisma who knows how to push the right buttons in each of his players in order to get the best out of them when it matters most.

I disagree with you about Jimenez. For the reasons stated above but with one caveat; does he want it?

As for McGinley, I'm truly puzzled by your observation. Perhaps you'd care to expand?

I, for one, think he should be the next captain. He has bags of personality and a shrewd head on his shoulders. In my view, he would make an inspirational captain and certainly not one who would leave it so late to tell a player he wasn't playing in the next series of matches a la Ollie! He also won the winning point at one Ryder Cup and he very classily conceded a half point when a streaker ran onto the 18th green at another. Definitely the man for the job at Gleneagles.

I also think Garcia won't get the call. Even with his great Ryder Cup record, he comes across as being a bit too whiny and self-centred. Not sure he's up to the task of being statesman for the team.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 03 Nov 2012, 6:35 am

I can tell you one reason McGinley won't be captain. He won't be selected, simple as that, he isn't a big enough name for the RC circus.
He may well have made a good one but I can't see it ever happening.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 03 Nov 2012, 6:43 am

Trussman finally gets over the pain of the crushing defeat and returns. Question is who'll be next yank captain. No outstanding candidates at all.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:47 am

David Toms vs Paul McGinley . . . . . . .
Banker!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 03 Nov 2012, 9:07 am

McGinley will be captain next time, with Harrington likely to receive a wildcard.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 03 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

Hello Hemmingway and welcome.

Interesting point re star players not making good captains.
True for Faldo, Seve and probably Woosnam but not for Jacklin.

All winners though.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Sat 03 Nov 2012, 10:16 am

Not sure I understand why you would say McGinley should not be considered. He has a good history with the RC, well respected amongst the pro's, thrives in a team environment (probably relates to his gaelic football days) and has successfully captained 2 Seve Trophy teams.

He's a shoe in for 2014 for me.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 04 Nov 2012, 6:31 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Agree that Jimenez and Lawrie will miss out, as will Karlsson.

McGinley / Clarke / Bjorn / Harrington / Westwood: That'll be the next five!
...and followed by .../ Poulter / Garcia /...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 04 Nov 2012, 7:02 am

No outstanding candidates for the US captaincy????

It's a shame Fred couples captained in the President's cup because as a hugely charismatic, Major winner he'd be ideal.....

We have lot's of guys who measure up to Clarke and mcginley in stature....as you know..

For me Freddie all day long.....but he won't get the nod..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 04 Nov 2012, 8:14 am

TRUSS,
I told you, David Toms has it all locked up.
Not necessarily an outstanding candidate, though, it could be said.
No chance for Freddie - the outstanding candidate is Azinger.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sun 04 Nov 2012, 12:59 pm

Might as well give it to Woods now - he's no good as a player Run

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No outstanding candidates for the US captaincy????

It's a shame Fred couples captained in the President's cup because as a hugely charismatic, Major winner he'd be ideal.....

We have lot's of guys who measure up to Clarke and mcginley in stature....as you know..

For me Freddie all day long.....but he won't get the nod..

Why wouldn't Couples get it? It's not as if America has a queue of people who know how to win Ryder Cups or who have good Ryder Cup records. You don't exactly have a good record in predictions Truss, so I would think Couples is nailed on this time or next.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:31 am

I think we can safely say that Clarke & McGinley will be the next 2. The question for me would be who gets the home gig and who gets the away one.

Of the 2, I think McGinley is the shrewder and would do a better job so....as the away gig is much harder to win it might be the smarter move to keep him for 2016.

On the subject if "he's not a big enough name/hasn't got a glittering resume as a player". Do people really honestly think that's key? Seriously?? Our most decorated European golfer of the past 30 years hardly did a sterling job as captain did he? 6 majors and numerous tour victories didn't cut much at Valhalla did it?? I also look forward to being enlightened on Jose Mourinhos glittering playing career, he must have been a fabulous player!! Yes I know football & golf are totally different but organising and picking teams and motivating players are common principles in any sport or line of business. McGinley (from what you hear and the way the players speak about him) has been an excellent vice Capt and has demonstrated the ability to lead in the Seve Trophy. He therefore has a MUCH more complete resume than Clarke.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:46 am

...also intrigued by the thinking that Freddie won't get the American Captaincy...if I were a Yank I'd be screaming for him to be captain, to me he's the one outstanding candidate they have.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:16 am

JAS wrote:
On the subject if "he's not a big enough name/hasn't got a glittering resume as a player". Do people really honestly think that's key? Seriously?? Our most decorated European golfer of the past 30 years hardly did a sterling job as captain did he?

Of course its key, they have to sell the gig and no Americans will have a clue who he is. There isnt a shred of evidence in recent RC history to suggest they pick anyone but a big name, cant see them changing their policy for McGinley.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:18 am

I'm sure the Americans will remember McGinley as the guy who sank the winning putt against them.

Torrance wasn't a big name either so no reason why they wouldn't pick McGinley especially now as there isn't a glut of top pro's recently or about the retire with a big name/reputation/high number of titles who would be a natural captain.

We've had this conversation before.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:26 am

In modern sporting terms Torrance was ages ago, not remotely relevant to the recent history of the event. Everything is bigger and more media led now.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:32 am

Europe had a golden era of players, most of whom have been given the Ryder Cup captaincy, deadbeat Lyle aside, however, simply because this has been the case in the past, doesn't mean that in the future lesser known players in the absence of former world class players with well known stature in the game won't be offered the captaincy. Hal Sutton was hardly a world beater despite on major.

McGinley is low key for sure, but I can't see any reason not to give him it, providing he has the respect of his peers, it doesn't really matter what the burger munchers think. All they do is turn up and get beaten.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:46 am

People seem to keep focussing on the fact that he woudl be a good choice in terms of the job. Like that has any bearing on it in the slightest.
To compare Suttons career with McGinleys is quite laughable Super. 14 PGA tour win and a major, McGinley had a year where he was pretty decent and that about it, other than that he was a journeyman European pro.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:47 am

ive seen it all now.. Super campaigning for an Irishman

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:50 am

What's it got to do with anything other than the ability to do the job. Europe won't care whether the Yanks have heard of him, they've won 5 of the last 6 so don't necessarily need a big name to win.

The Ryder Cup as a popular entity isn't determined by the notoriety or careers of the Captains.

We already know you don't like the competition, It's clear you think it's an overhyped, pointless event. The players, (Nine Chins Woods aside) don't seem to think that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 6:56 am

What me not liking it (and i catually enjoyed the last day of the last one in pure sporting terms, I just dont care who wins) got to do with having an opinion on who will be the next captain.
Im not even saying that McGinley wouldnt be a good captain, Im just saying history suggests he wont get the chance. You are the one grasping at straws and comparing the respective careers of McGinley and Sutton I suspect without actually knowing how good a PGA player Sutton was.
If you are able to put together a good debate based on fact then fine, but all you keep saying is things might change, well yes they might, but thats just conjecture with no factual evidence.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:00 am

Diggers, History suggests America won't win the next Ryder Cup, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Europe are running out of the high profile players who have previously captained the team. You can't give a high profile player the job if there isn't one there to take it. Eventually it's going to have to be taken by someone like McGinley because no one with a big enough game is currently available.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:02 am

America doesnt get to choose whether they win or not....Europe does get to choose who their captain will be. Another dumb comparison.
How are they running out, next skipper Clarke, one after Harrington, after that probably Westwood. No place for McGinley.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:05 am

Harrington? Why on earth would you pick someone like that? It would be like picking Woods for America.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:10 am

OMG......have you been taking thick pills this morning Super. Because Harrinton is a name and can sell the cup. Same way Woods can and is an absolute nailed on certainty to be a future RC skipper.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:15 am

It's not about selling the Cup, it's a massive event. I think that Europe have learnt that a successful playing career doesn't mean you'll be a decent captain.
re.Faldo.

Listen, you've got an opinion based on the Ryder Cup being a media led event. I don't think in future that will be the case in regard to Captaincy selection.

Who do they need to sell the Ryder Cup to? It's one of the worlds biggest events. Is anyone not going to watch because a name like McGinley is captaining the side? Now, that would be really thick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:21 am

Yes...again you have an opinion that isnt backed up the all the recent selections of a name player. You think it will change because in your mind it will make sense to change. It may well but there is no recent history to suggest that will be the case.
My opinion is based on what happens, there is a difference.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:25 am

Exactly Diggers, your opinion is no more valid than mine. Europe would be just as stupid as America if they chose Harrington as captain. At least Monty, Olazabal, Faldo etc had good Ryder Cup careers. Harrington has a very average - poor record, just like Woods.
Why would they chose McGinley, well he appears to have been groomed by virtue of captaining in Seve Trophy and vice captain Ryder Cup positions.

I don't know for sure whether he'll get it, but then again you don't know he won't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:28 am

Of course its more valid as all the recent example point to me being right. You have zilch to back up your opinion.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:34 am

Diggers, I've pointed out exactly why I think McGinley could get it, if you lived in the past all the time nothing would move forward. Yours is based on history, which isn't always born out. Re. Torrance.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:34 am

Think it's fair to say the Cup has taken on a life of its own and isn't dependent on any one individual to promote it. For that to be relevant, you'd probably have to go back to the Jack Nicklaus days.

Harrington will get the nod and he'll fit right into an american leg of the event.

However, in so far as the next one is concerned, it really comes down to Clarke or McGinley. McGinley would make a far better captain imo but Clarke will probably get because of his popularity and not because he's 'a name'.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:36 am

I'd say Clrake is more likely to get it in America. Can't see any reason why Harrington will get it as majors have been proven to mean F.A in Ryder Cups.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:36 am

super_realist wrote:Diggers, I've pointed out exactly why I think McGinley could get it, if you lived in the past all the time nothing would move forward. Yours is based on history, which isn't always born out. Re. Torrance.

More than happy to make a wager SR, £50 ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:38 am

Ok, On the basis that McGinley will get one of the next two. Can't see any other candidates.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:41 am

Fair enough. Its very sad but we will both probably be posting on here then to make it valid. We will have to work out an exchange rate as you will have your own currency by then and Im not willing to accept haggis as a payment.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 05 Nov 2012, 7:44 am

DOn't worry, I'll be living down south or in Norway should Fat Salmond get his way.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 05 Nov 2012, 8:34 am

Don't agree re. "big name" anymore. Ryder Cup will survive anyway.

Westwood recently spoke out for Clarke. I also guess Bjorn would back Clarke behind the scenes. With that being said, I thnk McGinley would also make a decent captain.

Where I don't agree is re. Harrington. I think he'd make a disasterous captain and I don't think he's got enough "respect" (in lack of a better word) amongst his peers. Additionally he hasn't been supporting the European Tour the same way as Clarke, McGinley, Bjorn, why I think these 3 will be before Harrington in line.

Last edited by pedro on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 05 Nov 2012, 9:39 am

That's a good point re Harringtons support (or otherwise) of the ET Pedro.

Regarding McGinley Diggers I think there might actually be an unexpected contradiction in your views I.e. he's not perceived as a big name so he wouldn't be what the media wanted from a perspective of "selling" the event.

Ok if the Yanks don't know him that well they're gonna think "Hey....those Europeans have picked an unknown to be Captain, we'll have a good chance of winning this time"....que much more American interest!!

At the end of the day, to the vast TV audiences on both continents, it's not about the media circus, it's about winning, pure and simple.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinmar Tue 06 Nov 2012, 4:27 pm

pedro wrote:

Where I don't agree is re. Harrington. I think he'd make a disasterous captain and I don't think he's got enough "respect" (in lack of a better word) amongst his peers. Additionally he hasn't been supporting the European Tour the same way as Clarke, McGinley, Bjorn, why I think these 3 will be before Harrington in line.

It's impossible to believe Padraig Harrington would be lacking respect from his peers. After all, he's the one who showed them all how to win Majors again. As for supporting the European Tour, will this disqualify Garcia, Donald & Poulter in the years to come? How will the US find any captain for the next decade since all of the likely candidates have similar or worse Ryder Cup records than Harrington has.

Tinmar

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Nov 2012, 3:42 am

That's no reason to give Harrington the European Captaincy simply because he's been a better Ryder Cup player than a bunch of hopeless Yanks.

He's got a pretty poor Ryder Cup record (9W-13L-3H), and there are far too many players of good standing in the game of a similar age who are Ryder Cup legends and a more natural choice. Really can't see an argument for Cyclops Harrington at all at any point in the future. He looks and talks like an idiot and walks like a penguin with a broom handle up its ar$e.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 07 Nov 2012, 4:59 am

Tinmar, when I talk about lack of "respect" for Harrington obvioulsy I don't refer to his golfing accomplishments as much as I refer to his persona and format.

As for Garcia, Donald and Poulter as future captains: Unless Donald wins a couple of majors he can forget about it, even if he might have the format. He's simply to detached from the ET. Garcia and Poulter are obvious candidates simply beacuse of their RC record and performances and impact on the event. And Garcia also hosts a tournament on the ET btw! Harrington can offer neither. Lyle would be more obvious then.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Nov 2012, 5:03 am

I'd rather have Donald in than Harrington. Donald is a Ryder Cup legend, Harrington won a few majors that have no relevance to his rubbish Ryder Cup record.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next