The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

+13
golfermartin
princedracula
goldwolf
incontinentia
super_realist
Diggers
gaelgowfer
Hemmingway
Doon the Water
Tinmar
kwinigolfer
GPB
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? - Page 2 Empty Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Clarke looks likely to be next..Westwood will probably be out of the top 100 in four years time...Harrington also......Bjorn is European and will most likely get a continental nod in the Usa !!!....By that time Poulter, will be in his 40s......Lawrie, mcginley, Jiminez worthy enough to be considered???

In six years time the European team will look so much different than it is now with the influx of talent etc...

Who is nailed on as a future Captain and who is destined to miss out!! so many candidates and just a bi-annual tournament!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:09 am

To be honest what does having a good RC playing record have to do with making a good captain. Two completly different jobs. No comparison between hitting golf balls and managing a team of guys.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who will miss out as European Ryder cup Captain??

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:14 am

Diggers, It has more relevance as to how many majors you have which is what people are basing their insistence on Harrington being given the job.
At least players have the confidence that a good ryder cup player knows what it takes to win it and be involved on a winning team.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:38 am

Another name nobody seems to have mentioned yet and who I think should get it at some point... If he wants it of course is McDowell...as long as he's allowed no input whatsoever to clothing the team.

I think I'd put him in line after Westwood & Poulter (don't think the first post Poulter captaincy would be an easy gig!!).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:50 am

JAS wrote:don't think the first post Poulter captaincy would be an easy gig!!.
Then give it to Poulter again...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 07 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

Poulter might be a rubbish Captain, Faldo was and he was a Ryder Cup great. I don't think he will be, but it's a possibility.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:01 am

Faldo's main problem was that he was/is too much of an individual, admirable in its own way but not conducive to a successful RC captaincy.
Remember him criticising the current crop for being too chummy off course (eh that leads to more easily binding together as a team Nick!!).
I could be wrong but I don't think Poulter will have that problem and yes Pedro, I think when Poulter gets the Captaincy they'll struggle to get it off him (unless of course he's a disaster)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

Hear, hear. I guess you do need to have a certain degree of humilty and keep your feet on the ground to be a good captain. Not Poulters trade mark. But I don't know - he might also be great. Inspiring for sure.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed 07 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

i think Harrington might have that same sort f individualism as Faldo

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed 07 Nov 2012, 2:55 pm

I personally think a Harrington Captaincy will be more akin to Langer's captaincy, perhaps not the result but the Attention to detail. Faldo’s trouble is that he tried to be one of the lads and we all saw how that turned out. I read somewhere a wonderfully analogy where Faldo was being compared to somebody’s Dad that was trying too hard to be cool, and it just came across as cringe worthy.

I think if you look at the players that are likely to be captains in the future I see Harrington, Westwood Donald as being solid captains not hugely inspiring but they will not drop the ball. The Poulter's and Garcia’s of this world could be a different story. They could easily inspire the team to super human feats or embarrass the hell out of them and the whole thing could implode.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2