The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014

+14
Aruglia
Diggers
pedro
TRUSSMAN66
newballs
Seve76
Doon the Water
George1507
gaelgowfer
super_realist
JAS
SmithersJones
kwinigolfer
John Cregan
18 posters

Go down

Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014 Empty Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014

Post by John Cregan Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

A bold move by the USGA which turns on its head the conventional thinking of certain players (eg Toms and Couples) being lined up as the next 2 Captains.

Maybe Europe should go with Bernard Gallagher just for the fun of it!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014 Empty Re: Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

John Jacobs for me . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014 Empty Re: Tom Watson named US Ryder Cup Captain for 2014

Post by SmithersJones Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:17 pm

Iain Carter seems to think it's to do with Watson's character and stature in the game, as well as his popularity in Scotland.

Monty back for Europe? (and that's in no way meant to imply that Monty is Watson's equal in any of those measures!)
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

Hmmm, interesting choice and yes a bit of a step change in thinking...wonder what Sandy Lyle's thinking?? Europe basically have their short list of 2 tho and I don't see that changing.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

Europe could put Shane Lowry in charge and they'd still win. USA are a shambles.

I hope the USA having Tom Watson in charge doesn't give the hapless half wit Sandy Lyle any ideas of captaincy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:03 pm

With Tom Watson at the helm, Woods could find himself at the bottom of the singles again ... always assuming of course he doesn't need 'a pick' in which case ... such concerns will become entirely academic! devil

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:26 pm

I don't think it's fair to say the USA is a 'shambles'. They may have lost the last couple of Ryder Cups, but they've been very close run affairs. They won the 2008 contest by the biggest margin for some time.

I suspect it just needs someone like Tom Watson to instil some belief.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:34 pm

Eh, the two previous Ryder Cups to their one victory in the last five they were twice hammered in successive events by record margins of 18.5-9.5 HOME and AWAY, so this margin of which you talk being "the biggest for some time" was only the biggest since the two they previously played and totally gubbed.

2 wins in 9 is a pretty shambolic effort for a country with as many talented golfers as America has had over the last 20 years while they absolutely capitulated this year from a seemingly unassailable position (as hilarious as it was to behold)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:44 pm

Is this all about trying to win the Ryder Cup at last, or is it a final desperate effort to unearth/disinter/exhume someone who can motivate Tiger, "instill some belief" as George suspects?

If so, it's an extraordinary way to go about it. Tiger seems disinterested at the Ryder Cup, disengaged to the detriment of his Team and any esprit de corps the US might otherwise aspire to.

Perhaps the PGA's unacceptable alternative was to ban Tiger from Ryder Cup participation?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:46 pm

I do hope that Europe show a bit of spirit and choose Monty as captain.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:48 pm

[quote="George1507"]They won the 2008 contest by the biggest margin for some time.

George - the USA got hammered by NINE points in both '04 and '06. A shambles indeed, and their failure to close the deal at Medinah was an appalling indictment on the bottle & organisation of that team.
Tom Watson is a great choice, and won't allow his team to let things go at Gleneagles. Being the last US skipper to win on our soil back in '93 is also a huge psychological plus for the US.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Is this all about trying to win the Ryder Cup at last, or is it a final desperate effort to unearth/disinter/exhume someone who can motivate Tiger, "instill some belief" as George suspects?

If so, it's an extraordinary way to go about it. Tiger seems disinterested at the Ryder Cup, disengaged to the detriment of his Team and any esprit de corps the US might otherwise aspire to.

Perhaps the PGA's unacceptable alternative was to ban Tiger from Ryder Cup participation?

Kwini, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nine Chins retire from Ryder Cup, he's got the worst record in a generation of American's with utterly atrocious records, a Ryder Cup without him would be an improvement for the USA and might well put a bit more camaraderie in their team without one obnoxious ego-centric individual in it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 13 Dec 2012, 8:10 pm

The European team have given the captaincy to the likes of Mark James in the past so what is it exactly that Lyle has or hasn't done to deserve being perpetually snubbed by those who make the decision?

Nothing wrong with the yanks going for someone with more than average intelligence for once (doesn't he have a degree in psychology or something?)

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

Why should Lyle get it?
Having a very distant but succesful career doesn't mean you'll be a good captain does it? Didn't do Faldo, Pavin, Lehman or Sutton much good did it?
Europe has and continue to have plenty of options in the captaincy departments, unlike America which have such a dreadful record in the last two decades that they're going back to the last man who steered them to victory on foreign soil in the vain hope of galvanising a team together.
Lyle's time has passed him by, he's too flaky, not very bright, not that well liked and has a tendency to throw his toys out of his pram, hardly captaincy material.
Majors mean bugger all in Ryder Cups, so the fact that Lyle has two really means nothing. You think 14 majors will help Woods be a good captain? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:03 pm

super realist nothing wrong with America going "back to the future" as it were with Watson. Seems a better option than most of the alternatives.

Take your point about Lyle but then again as you point out the passing round of the job around the old boy network has produced some pretty poor captains on the European side (Faldo at least one more name you've added in addition to that worst ever Captain Calamity Mark James himself).

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:12 pm

Not saying there is anything wrong with it, smacks a little of desperation though but America have nothing to lose by going back to Watson, and if he were to beat Europe, then he's one American who would be gracious in victory and who is liked on both sides.

I simply can't see a case for Lyle's inclusion. He seems to think he's entitled to it, yet hasn't got involved in Seve Trophy. He's too far out of the loop these days, and like Faldo (as much as I've warmed to him) is a temperamental individual (in both senses)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

Lyle offended Monty over a so-called cheating incident a few years ago....no way for him.

Watson's a good choice....The essence of American pride...someone to look up to...a genius on links courses.......

Not that Davis cocked up..........although he shouldn't have had Woods out last..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm

Watson is a good choice. They need somebody who's a bit detached from the players.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 13 Dec 2012, 11:19 pm

TRUSSMAN:
What does being "a genius on links courses" have to do with the Ryder Cup?????

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Dec 2012, 8:48 am

Especially as the Ryder Cup isn't played on links anymore and Watson won't even be playing (although I doubt he could be any worse than a number if Americans currently likely to play)

I don't think Love cocked up by having Nine Chins out last either, he's the worst American player in Ryder Cup History and clearly couldn't care less about the event. Given the scoreline America should have had it sewn up long before it got got down to him, it made sense to put the weak link in a place where he could do no harm.. America capitulated, bottled it and got downright outplayed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:50 am

Watson being RC capatin will make the build up a complete schmultz fest, it will be literally puke inducing. Its bad enough we cant have an Open without the world fawning over him, now this.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:33 am

Don't get all the cynicism towards Tom Watson. Maybe he isn't the perfect gentleman 100% of the time but nobody is. The fact that he is the perfect gentleman on the golf course and has been for decades is what matters to me as a lover of the sport. I'd much rather see a smile and good manners from professional sportsmen than scowls and poor conduct that we see in other sports but also in golf and sadly among some of the best paid in the sport. Part of being a professional is to conduct yourself as one, both with your opponents and with the galleries. Too many of these guys take themselves far too seriously and completely forget or have no regard for the people responsible for the fortunes they earn.

Watson is one of a dying breed and I have a huge respect for him. I think he is a good choice for captain and can be no coincidence that it's being played in Scotland. What he nearly did in 2009 at Turnberry was nearly the stuff of legend and made for enthrawling viewing.

Last edited by Aruglia on Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Good grief, he's back.
Aruglia, Max, Keizo, Simba, whatever your name is. I don't know if you know Gleneagles, but the fact it is in Scotland is completely irrelevant to any influence Watson can have. As far as I know, Watson has never won on anything other than Links in Scotland, and Gleneagles certainly isn't links, in fact it's more like the target golf American's are familiar with, I know Watson is a member at Dornoch, but it counts for nothing in a Ryder Cup.

On another note, although the fawning around Watson can be as puke inducing as the adulation and sycophancy that surrounds Nine Chins Woods there is far greater respect for the man over here given the dearth of plausible candidates and dreadful results over the years there is no harm in Watson taking it on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:08 am

Yeah I know Gleneagles but I wasn't talking about Gleneagles or any golf course. I was talking about Scotland. The success Watson has had in Scotland and his fondness for Scotland and the respect shown to him by spectators - a lot of whom come from Scotland. Getting it yet soup?

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

Makes absolutely no difference as to whether he'll be a good captain though. He's got respect the world over, but if the opposition plays better he'll still lose no matter how much people over here like him.

He's got as good a chance as anyone, but I don't expect the home crowd to be any less partisan simply because wrinkly old Watson is in charge of the opposition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm

super_realist wrote:... Gleneagles certainly isn't links, in fact it's more like the target golf American's are familiar with, I know Watson is a member at Dornoch, but it counts for nothing in a Ryder Cup..

Having played it recently, Gleaneagles (PGA Centenary) is a swimming pool cleverly disguised as a golf course. If it rains a lot preceeding the Ryder Cup in 2014, it's going to be very messy indeed.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:
super_realist wrote:... Gleneagles certainly isn't links, in fact it's more like the target golf American's are familiar with, I know Watson is a member at Dornoch, but it counts for nothing in a Ryder Cup..

Having played it recently, Gleaneagles (PGA Centenary) is a swimming pool cleverly disguised as a golf course. If it rains a lot preceeding the Ryder Cup in 2014, it's going to be very messy indeed.

When I played it about 18 months ago it was flooded as well, couple of holes had to be shortened and a lot of closed off areas. Cant say I was blown away by it, not much of a closing hole either.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Aruglia Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:56 pm

super_realist wrote:Makes absolutely no difference as to whether he'll be a good captain though. He's got respect the world over, but if the opposition plays better he'll still lose no matter how much people over here like him.

I do believe the captains role in the RC is a little over blown and of course it's the players that get it done. However I believe in some circumstances the captain can play a big role on how things pan out over the week.

In this year's competition I believe the "doing it for Seve" factor(I'm assuming that was JMO's idea) played a role especially in the big turnaround on the final day. The idea was mentioned a huge amount throughout the event and no doubt served to spur on the Euros and at the same time get in the Americans' head, especially as their lead was being chipped away at. That's just my opinion though.

Watson is more than capable of the charm offensive and while it won't get the galleries shouting USA!USA!, it might make them a little less hostile which might be a help to his team. Just might, just my opinion.

Aruglia

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 14 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

Diggers wrote:Watson being RC capatin will make the build up a complete schmultz fest, it will be literally puke inducing. Its bad enough we cant have an Open without the world fawning over him, now this.

and I thought I was the only one!

Disappointed to hear the Centenary course was a bit of a let down for a few folk. I'm playing it at the end of March next year.

One thing going against the Euros in the next RC will be lack of the Seve factor. He was a big motivation to the team in 2010 and massively this year but what about 2014? The Seve factor (and certainly the Braveheart cliche) will be too old by then. Perhaps some sort of camaraderie over the failing Euro or indeed a fading Euro Tour can provide the motivation?

Has anyone seen or heard any reaction from Tiger to the US Captain announcement? No small coincidence that last time Tiger sat out the RC the US won...

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

I think Watson is actually a good choice for the Yanks, you could call it desperate straw clutching but they are where they are, their recent record is abysmal so no harm whatsoever in thinking outside the box.

What would be interesting is if Woods slips out of an automatic place. I think Watson would be one of the very few with the balls and the integrity to say..."Nope I'm not going to give him a Captains pick"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 14 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

Says Woods: "I'd like to congratulate Tom Watson on his selection as Ryder Cup Captain. I think he's a really good choice."

Says Watson: "My relationship with Tiger is fine. If he's not on the Team, you can bet he's going to be No. 1 on our pick list."

Good news for Europe then.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 14 Dec 2012, 6:38 pm

How woods gets such recognition despite such an hysterically bad record is hilarious. Pound for pound one of the worst ever players on Ryder cup but treated as if he's poulter. Perhaps a reason as to why America stink the place out so often.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 14 Dec 2012, 6:58 pm

I see Iain Carter, who never saw a bandwagon he didn't want to jump on to, has ben suckered in to the Woods discussion, article entitled, "Can Tom Watson inspire Tiger Woods?".

Wonder if Tiger will ever get a Captaincy gig? Multiple times most likely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 14 Dec 2012, 7:51 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Says Woods: "I'd like to congratulate Tom Watson on his selection as Ryder Cup Captain. I think he's a really good choice."

Says Watson: "My relationship with Tiger is fine. If he's not on the Team, you can bet he's going to be No. 1 on our pick list."

Interesting - "TW on TW" and vice versa.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm

Super - I can't imagine why Tiger would get recognition as a Ryder Cup standout. Makes no sense.

America certainly did not "stink" the place at the last Ryder Cup. Hardly a layup for team Euro. Unless, of course, not winning is defined as stinking the place; in which case absolutely nothing could be worse than Poulter's abysmal record in things major.Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Dec 2012, 8:40 am

What I mean shotrock as you well know is that nine chins is still treated like some talismanic figure in the Ryder Cups despite being a truly appalling lame duck dud and disinterested player in the event. Nine chins should do the decent thing for the competition and withdraw himself (if his ridiculous ego will allow) from selection.

Why would you publicly give such a chump an automatic pick and undermine every other player hoping for a wild card who might be more deserving? Why give the worst Ryder Cup player of his generation a free meal ticket? Lunacy, straight away its three points minimum on the European board.

It would be for the good of the competition and for the good of the Americans if he retired from Ryder Cup although we'd have less to laugh about and I'd miss seeing that long miserable face get even longer.

Why bring up majors in an event where the number of majors you have is completely irrelevant? You only have to look at the hysterical records of Mickelson, village idiot harrington and nine chins woods to see it doesn't matter in Ryder cup.

2 wins in the last 9 events and two record defeats would suggest America do have a pretty reeking record in this event and whether its one point or nine, given the pool of talent they have is simply laughable. It's like Man United getting beaten 7/9 times by Aston Villa.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Says Woods: "I'd like to congratulate Tom Watson on his selection as Ryder Cup Captain. I think he's a really good choice."

Can't imagine why someone as smart as Tom Watson would second guess Tiger Woods' form two years down the road. He must have been misquoted ... surely?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:15 am

Exactly Gael, I would have thought someone as media savvy as Watson would have said he'll assess form nearer the time. Woods straw knee might have packed in by then fingers crossed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 22 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

Well, now it's on the beeb website: Monty linked with RC captaincy for 2014...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 22 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

Stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Dec 2012, 9:20 am

I saw the interview with Monty on parochial regional TV and it was very much a loaded question and Monty answered it tongue in cheek. I don't think there is too much intent in his statement.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down