The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

+6
George Carlin
formerly known as Sam
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
10 posters

Go down

Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship Empty Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

Post by R!skysports Fri 02 Apr 2021, 6:51 pm

Scotland flanker Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship by fans after winning the biggest ever vote for the award.

The 29-year-old put in a series of superb performances as Gregor Townsend’s Scotland beat France, England and Italy over the course of a campaign that captured the imagination of fans. The final round win over France was Scotland’s first in Paris since 1999, while the victory over England was the first at Twickenham since 1983.

Losses against title winners Wales and Ireland came by narrow margins of just one and three points respectively.

Watson was an all-action performer in the Scottish back-row, missing just 14 minutes over the course of five matches. He scored one try and provided one try assist, carried 67 times for 321 metres, and successfully made every single tackle of his 55 in defence.

The fan vote was as keenly contested as ever with the Edinburgh star capturing 35% of over 125,000 votes cast by fans to finish ahead of 2020 winner Antoine Dupont of France, Louis Rees-Zammit and Taulupe Faletau of Wales, and Ireland duo Robbie Henshaw and Tadhg Beirne.

The six nominees were chosen by a panel of media comprising two media representatives from each participating nation.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2021/04/02/hamish-watson-wins-guinness-six-nations-player-of-the-championship-2021/

What a player....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship Empty Re: Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 02 Apr 2021, 6:55 pm

He would have had my vote just above Beirne both should tour.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship Empty Re: Hamish Watson has been named Guinness Six Nations Player of the Championship

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 02 Apr 2021, 7:32 pm

Absolutely over the moon for Hamish, who’s probably been the most consistently excellent player across Scottish rugby for the last few years at least. Delighted to see him pick up a big award like this it’s thoroughly deserved clap

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 02 Apr 2021, 7:34 pm

Can't think of any other player who had a consistently good tournament. Dupont really faded and he was the spark for the French.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 02 Apr 2021, 7:51 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Can't think of any other player who had a consistently good tournament. Dupont really faded and he was the spark for the French.

I think France started playing off 10 when Ntamack returned that seemed to cause more confusion and take Dupont out the game Vs Scotland. Seemed to be a loss of identity with them unsure how to chase the points total.

Watson has been exceptional for some time. I said before the tournament I'd have in the Lions 7 jersey and my opinion hasn't changed. Would be one of the first names on the team sheet in an area of strength. The only question is whether Beirne plays opposite him at 6 or in the row ahead.

formerly known as Sam

flyhalffactory and alive555 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 02 Apr 2021, 7:52 pm

Well you know who my 3rd name on the team sheet is. I won't distract from the excellence of Watson here.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 03 Apr 2021, 2:13 pm

Disappointingly few comments here.

Great guy and an absolutely outstanding loose forward.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 03 Apr 2021, 3:18 pm

I've said before I thought he played great and would be one of first Lions I would select if I had a vote. Not surprised he won the award. Really can't think of anyone who played better.

doctor_grey

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 03 Apr 2021, 3:55 pm

George Carlin wrote:Disappointingly few comments here.

Not a lot to comment about. Its not really controversial :-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Apr 2021, 9:30 pm

George Carlin wrote:Disappointingly few comments here.

I noticed similarly that there were disappointingly few comments congratulating Wales on their 6N win. Must be a sign of the times.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 04 Apr 2021, 11:20 pm

I’m putting it down to a case of everyone looking to forget this year entirely and move onto next season?

It’s a real shame for mish who could have been the next Jedi master for Scottish rugby but the world just looks like it’s wanting to move on to 2022
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Apr 2021, 10:19 am

Is there ever a big fanfare for player of the tournament though? I can’t remember much fanfare and fawning when AWJ won it in the year before last. Very little praise and accolade as far as I remember. Can’t see a thread started on it (bet there was plenty of complaining though so at least you don’t have to put up with that this year with Hamish!).

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 05 Apr 2021, 11:21 am

As said above, not controversial and well earned. Plus, it is probably likely with a little of Covid lethargy thrown in.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Apr 2021, 8:29 am

The Oracle wrote:Is there ever a big fanfare for player of the tournament though? I can’t remember much fanfare and fawning when AWJ won it in the year before last. Very little praise and accolade as far as I remember. Can’t see a thread started on it (bet there was plenty of complaining though so at least you don’t have to put up with that this year with Hamish!).
Yes, there have been various levels of fanfare over the years depending on who won.

I'm sure it depends on one's news sources and immediate peer circle.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 06 Apr 2021, 10:39 am

The Oracle wrote:Is there ever a big fanfare for player of the tournament though? I can’t remember much fanfare and fawning when AWJ won it in the year before last. Very little praise and accolade as far as I remember. Can’t see a thread started on it (bet there was plenty of complaining though so at least you don’t have to put up with that this year with Hamish!).

absolutely no different from any other year. Result reported on BBC, twitter and on forums. Nothing unusual whatsoever.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Apr 2021, 10:47 am

alive555 wrote:

absolutely no different from any other year. Result reported on BBC, twitter and on forums. Nothing unusual whatsoever.

Yeah, that's what I thought.  So I'm not sure what GC was meaning by the lack of comments and 'fanfare' for Hamish Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 06 Apr 2021, 12:32 pm

The Oracle wrote:
alive555 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I thought.  So I'm not sure what GC was meaning by the lack of comments and 'fanfare' for Hamish Headscratch

You were the one claiming "Is there ever a big fanfare for player of the tournament though? "

Repeat, this year was no different from any other year. its all imaginary if you thought otherwise.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Apr 2021, 12:41 pm

alive555 wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
alive555 wrote:

You were the one claiming "Is there ever a big fanfare for player of the tournament though? "

Repeat, this year was no different from any other year. its all imaginary if you thought otherwise.

No, GC was the one questioning it. I was asking ‘is there ever’ as I agree that there never is and so we shouldn’t expect it for Hamish either.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 06 Apr 2021, 6:10 pm

I frankly don't remember any of the winners of these kinds of awards. Not from last year or any year prior. To be fair, my missus says I can't remember squat so maybe that is a me issue....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down