The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

+18
CFCNick
Daniel Reilly
SirJohnnyEnglish
hodge
two_tone
James_182
Fernando
jeromedubois
Mat
cherriesfna
TopoftheChops
TRUSSMAN66
mystiroakey
Gregers
GSC
Marky
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
22 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 10 Empty The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 03 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

A place to discuss all things Brighton and Hove Albion
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 10 Empty Re: The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:30 pm

Nick this will never stop untill players come out whilst playing. They are the ones that can change the attitudes

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread - Page 10 Empty Re: The official "Brighton and Hove Albion to mid table mediocrity" thread

Post by Duty281 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:32 pm

Olly wrote:Now having a read up on some of these homophobic chants on the Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2303125/Brighton-report-homophobic-abuse-rival-fans-FA--list-alleged-chants-including-Colin-Kazim-Richards.html

Must admit had a little giggle at some

laughing

Best laugh I've had all day! One chant they missed out was:

"Stand up, 'cos you can't sit down, stand up, 'cos you can't sit down!" laughing

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Nick this will never stop untill players come out whilst playing. They are the ones that can change the attitudes

But they wont. If this abuse continues to go on and on and on. Then there hardly going to come out are they? They won't be able to play football week in week out, as there is too many idiots at grounds. Some more than others at clubs e.g. Palace and Millwall. Places like that.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:45 pm

You compare plaace fans to millwall fans.. OMG Doh

Clearly a wind up mind

Secondly no the players wont come out due to the stigma attached to football. and the collegues- not the fans..

All its going to take is one then others will follow- Then the homophobic fans and players will be even more vocal with there 'hate' . But then the hate will be targetted by the authorities and police the way racism is.. And it will eventually be resolved..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:47 pm

I personally feel Homophobic abuse and Racist abuse should be dealt with in the same matter.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:49 pm

Nick it will be and is.. But only when the person being abused is clearly outwardly gay..

Its clear when someone is a different colour. Untill the players come out its just banter. Not real hate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Spanish Dave wrote:I personally feel Homophobic abuse and Racist abuse should be dealt with in the same matter.

Completely agree, its just as disgusting

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:57 pm

The point is untill its seen as an issue! it cant be resolved.. Gay footballers come out and then the hate and abuse will be dealt with!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

It's banter, not abuse. The people singing stuff like "we can see you holding hands" are doing it because Brighton is known as the gay capital of the UK, it's not specific abuse aimed at an individual or group. Same with anyone chanting anything about Norfolk people being inbred, or northerners being dirty northern B***ards. Banter, not abuse.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm

We get chanted everygame about being inbred Duty, 6 fingers held up etc etc, all fun and games at the end of the day
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm

Duty very true. but imagine one brighton player was openly gay.. Then sit back and watch the contrevsey

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

Okay Duty, let's take a city such as Blackburn or Burnley which has a high Asian population. If the fans of opposing teams started chanting racist things about Asian people, would that be "banter"?

As Brighton has a high population of homosexuals, is not worse? Does that not mean, statistically speaking there will be more homosexual fans of Brighton than other teams, fans who will get offended by the chanting?

It's not "banter", it's homophobic abuse, it's offensive, it's disgusting and it's actually illegal. I don't think you should be so quick to brush it under the table. It's not the same as claiming Norwich fans are inbred, not even close.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:25 pm

I am not brushing it under the table at all. i am trying to explain how it is dealt with and the only way to change the persception. Is that clear enolugh for you?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:28 pm

Its aimed at the fact that Brighton is the 'gay capital of England'. Much like Norwich is famed for inbreeding, Nottingham for breaking the lines during the miner strikes. Either its all ok or none of it is ok.

I miss when people could take a joke without phoning the lawyers
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:30 pm

Crimey wrote:It's not "banter", it's homophobic abuse, it's offensive, it's disgusting and it's actually illegal. I don't think you should be so quick to brush it under the table. It's not the same as claiming Norwich fans are inbred, not even close.

I'm more offended if somebody calls me inbred than if somebody calls be gay? Heck I'd class that as racist abuse
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm

Olly wrote:
Crimey wrote:It's not "banter", it's homophobic abuse, it's offensive, it's disgusting and it's actually illegal. I don't think you should be so quick to brush it under the table. It's not the same as claiming Norwich fans are inbred, not even close.

I'm more offended if somebody calls me inbred than if somebody calls be gay? Heck I'd class that as racist abuse

Being from Norfolk is not a race.

Homophobia is an actual real problem in football and I think the attitude that says it is okay is a huge part of that problem. Again, I draw comparisons with the Burnley or Blackburn chanting about Asians, would that be acceptable? Homophobia is more of a problem in football than racism. There are hundreds of black players in the Premier League, accepted, adored by fans, heros to many.

There are no openly homosexual players in the Premier League and I am not surprised.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I am not brushing it under the table at all. i am trying to explain how it is dealt with and the only way to change the persception. Is that clear enolugh for you?

My comment wasn't even directed at you. picard

I thought I made that clear by actually saying "Okay Duty" at the start of the post, but obviously not...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

Couldn't agree any more with what Crimey has said.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Bloody woofters, causing trouble...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

Palace> Brighton

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:15 am

Crimey

Sorry I thought you called me Oakey..and directed it at both me and duty

many posters call me that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

Crimey wrote:Okay Duty, let's take a city such as Blackburn or Burnley which has a high Asian population. If the fans of opposing teams started chanting racist things about Asian people, would that be "banter"?

As Brighton has a high population of homosexuals, is not worse? Does that not mean, statistically speaking there will be more homosexual fans of Brighton than other teams, fans who will get offended by the chanting?

It's not "banter", it's homophobic abuse, it's offensive, it's disgusting and it's actually illegal. I don't think you should be so quick to brush it under the table. It's not the same as claiming Norwich fans are inbred, not even close.

Well, I suppose it's all down to perception. Personally, I'm bisexual, and I managed to laugh at pretty much every chant that was listed, I wasn't offended at all. I hear Brighton fans are also heard to chant on occasion "One nil, to the nancy boys." Is that homophobic?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:Okay Duty, let's take a city such as Blackburn or Burnley which has a high Asian population. If the fans of opposing teams started chanting racist things about Asian people, would that be "banter"?

Well, I suppose it's all down to perception. Personally, I'm bisexual, and I managed to laugh at pretty much every chant that was listed, I wasn't offended at all. I hear Brighton fans are also heard to chant on occasion "One nil, to the nancy boys." Is that homophobic?

Yes it is. Of course it is, and they shouldn't be chanting it.

I admire the fact that you can let homophobic abuse bounce off of you, but I don't think it means that others aren't offended by it. I've known black friends who have been racially abused and not bothered by it, it doesn't make racial abuse okay.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

Brighton fans shouldn't be allowed to chant that, same as Tottenham fans shouldn't be allowed to refer to themselves as YA, chant it all game etc. It's offensive, full stop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:10 pm

Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

I admire the fact that you can let homophobic abuse bounce off of you, but I don't think it means that others aren't offended by it. I've known black friends who have been racially abused and not bothered by it, it doesn't make racial abuse okay.

Where do you want to draw the line Crimey?

"We can see you sneaking out!" - Offensive to blind people?
"Can you hear the <insert team name> sing, I can't hear a fu**ing thing!" - Offensive to deaf people?
"I saw my mate, the other day, he said to me he saw 'The White Pele!'" - Racist?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

Aye Duty. Can't just draw the line for 1 group. Either its all ok or none is ok and the crowd can't chant anything
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

Let's just all stay indoors, and not interact with anyone. That way, there is no risk of offending anyone.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

When I go to Albion games, I sing the songs that are about my team, but do NOT join in when they are about the other team, or Wolves. Albion fans have this fascination with Wolves, more than half the songs we sing seem to be about them. It's really boring, I can't stand it, and it's all offensive rubbish too.

Duty, with those songs:

- "Cheerio cheerio cheerio" used to be the song sung at people leaving early
- Never heard that second song sung at a game before
- Never heard that either, and it is racist

Football fans should be capable of signing songs that aren't offensive or racist. It shocks me how much they get away with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:Let's just all stay indoors, and not interact with anyone. That way, there is no risk of offending anyone.
What do you think of Joey Barton's tweets about Thiago Silva then? Acceptable? Offensive chanting shouldn't be tolerated just because a select few people don't have a problem with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:37 pm

Duty281 wrote:Let's just all stay indoors, and not interact with anyone. That way, there is no risk of offending anyone.

Laugh The PC era makes me think this
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:37 pm

Duty dont worry mate. there is more abuse hurled about indoors and online than anywhere else!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:When I go to Albion games, I sing the songs that are about my team, but do NOT join in when they are about the other team, or Wolves. Albion fans have this fascination with Wolves, more than half the songs we sing seem to be about them. It's really boring, I can't stand it, and it's all offensive rubbish too.

Duty, with those songs:

- "Cheerio cheerio cheerio" used to be the song sung at people leaving early
- Never heard that second song sung at a game before
- Never heard that either, and it is racist

Football fans should be capable of signing songs that aren't offensive or racist. It shocks me how much they get away with.

They used to be, now everyone is politically correct, and offended about anything. The day that a chant of "we can see you holding hands" is homophobic abuse, is the day that I cry at how PC we are in this country.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

"Can you hear the <insert team name> sing, I can't hear a fu**ing thing!" - Offensive to deaf people?
"I saw my mate, the other day, he said to me he saw 'The White Pele!'" - Racist?

1. That's not offensive to blind people, it's not even intended to be offensive.
2. Not offensive to deaf people, it's about the fans not singing enough.
3. No, that isn't racist at all.

I want to draw the line at homophobic and racist abuse. Would fans chanting at Blackburn/Burnley fans with racist songs and chants about their high Asian population be acceptable? Of course not. So neither should homophobic abuse.

It's illegal and the fans shouldn't be protected because they're doing it in numbers.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

Azzy Mahmood wrote:
What do you think of Joey Barton's tweets about Thiago Silva then? Acceptable? Offensive chanting shouldn't be tolerated just because a select few people don't have a problem with it.

That's different, that is personal abuse aimed directly at a specific person. But in all honestly, calling someone an 'overweight ladyboy' is something that Thiago Silva should be able to deal with himself.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

I find it odd that you seem to think it's actually difficult not to chant homophobic or racist things at football matches, that the only other option is to stay indoors. That suggests a lot more about you than it does about any "PC era".

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:40 pm

What about inbred/chav/scum chants crimey. Due to teams hailing from areas associated with that sort of poorer lifestyle..

That must be on the same par as racism!! Its basically the same thing really

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm

Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

1. That's not offensive to blind people, it's not even intended to be offensive.

I want to draw the line at homophobic and racist abuse. Would fans chanting at Blackburn/Burnley fans with racist songs and chants about their high Asian population be acceptable? Of course not. So neither should homophobic abuse.

It's illegal and the fans shouldn't be protected because they're doing it in numbers.

Quite right, I don't think they're offensive either. How is chanting "does your boyfriend know you're here?" any different from singing to Cardiff fans that they shag sheep, or chants about inbreds to Norwich fans. There is no difference, they are not rooted in fact.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

mystiroakey wrote:What about inbred/chav/scum chants crimey. Due to teams hailing from areas associated with that sort of poorer lifestyle..

Not in the eyes of the law.

Really they shouldn't chant those things, but it's not the same thing as homophobic or racist abuse. These chants haven't stopped "chavs" or scumbags becoming footballers. I am 100% certain that chants like those heard against Brighton are a major reason in why no footballers have publicly come out, despite it being reported that there are homosexual footballers out to their teammates in the Premier League.

The same fans that are happy to chant these things at opposing fans just because they come from Brighton will certainly chant things at openly homosexual players. They did it suspected ones like Le Saux who were actually married!

For some reason, homophobia is not treated as seriously as racism, despite it being a bigger problem in football these days.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:44 pm

Crimey wrote:I find it odd that you seem to think it's actually difficult not to chant homophobic or racist things at football matches, that the only other option is to stay indoors. That suggests a lot more about you than it does about any "PC era".

Of course you don't have to chant it, but it's banter and it's always been present in the game and it always will be.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Quite right, I don't think they're offensive either. How is chanting "does your boyfriend know you're here?" any different from singing to Cardiff fans that they shag sheep, or chants about inbreds to Norwich fans. There is no difference, they are not rooted in fact.

Because those chants aren't as seriously damaging as homophobia. It doesn't matter whether it's not supposed to be rooted in fact, it has bred a culture in which football has been a hostile environment for homosexuals. Those other chants shouldn't really be done either, but they don't have the same effect as homophobic chants.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:What about inbred/chav/scum chants crimey. Due to teams hailing from areas associated with that sort of poorer lifestyle..

Really they shouldn't chant those things, but it's not the same thing as homophobic or racist abuse. These chants haven't stopped "chavs" or scumbags becoming footballers. I am 100% certain that chants like those heard against Brighton are a major reason in why no footballers have publicly come out, despite it being reported that there are homosexual footballers out to their teammates in the Premier League.

The same fans that are happy to chant these things at opposing fans just because they come from Brighton will certainly chant things at openly homosexual players. They did it suspected ones like Le Saux who were actually married!

For some reason, homophobia is not treated as seriously as racism, despite it being a bigger problem in football these days.

So you have drawn a line.. just like others have.. Just at a different point!!

As I have said untill the gay footballers come out the chanting wont be seen as a crime.. The only way to go forward is for one playing player to come out and then homophobic abuse will not be tolerated.

Le Sauxs issues was allways with the players he played with not the fans.. They used to call him gay because he didnt mix as well, he used to read the times and the telegrapth etc!!

He used to hate going to work(training).. Sounds crazy but that is how bad it was back then..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:51 pm

In defence of those fans, I have actually held hands with Graeme Le Saux #onlyforasecond #helovedit # sodidi

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:53 pm

Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Because those chants aren't as seriously damaging as homophobia. It doesn't matter whether it's not supposed to be rooted in fact, it has bred a culture in which football has been a hostile environment for homosexuals. Those other chants shouldn't really be done either, but they don't have the same effect as homophobic chants.

Someone has to be the first and come out, otherwise it will always be prevalent. It's like black players in Britain in the 70s, someone has to be the first, and then society will be more accepting. You will course still get a minority of narrow-minded tw@s but that's all. This is the 21st century, I'm sure the abuse said player would get wouldn't be too bad and would only be from a minority.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:55 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Crimey wrote:

So you have drawn a line.. just like others have.. Just at a different point!!

As I have said untill the gay footballers come out the chanting wont be seen as a crime.. The only way to go forward is for one playing player to come out and then homophobic abuse will not be tolerated.

Le Sauxs issues was allways with the players he played with not the fans.. They used to call him gay because he didnt mix as well, he used to read the times and the telegrapth etc!!

He used to hate going to work(training).. Sounds crazy but that is how bad it was back then..

I'm sorry but I think it's totally ridiculous that you think a player should have to come out to stop homophobic chanting. It's the same as saying that you have to wait until somebody is run over on a dangerous road to put up traffic lights. No player should have to suffer homophobic abuse for action to be taken. It's not about it waiting for it to be considered a crime...it is a crime, it's against the law. If you shouted that at somebody in the street, you'd face hefty fines.

Le Saux suffered abuse from fans as well, the players were the route cause but the fans quickly caught on.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/13/football-study-finds-93-of-fans-disapprove-of-anti-gay-abuse/

There we go, University of Staffordshire reckons 93% of fans would disapprove of anti-gay abuse.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

Crimey its not ridiculas its fact.. It may not be something you can see as being the moral choice( You are clearly looking at this about why should the gay footballers have to come out!)

Well to be honest they do in the society we live in!

As soon as someone comes out. It will cause a massive riplle and homophobic abuse will not be tolerated any more.

And as i said Its not even about the fans.. The gay footballers are IMO more scared about coming out to there team mates and managers etc than the fans. I garantee this!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 1:59 pm

Duty281 wrote:http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2010/07/13/football-study-finds-93-of-fans-disapprove-of-anti-gay-abuse/

There we go, University of Staffordshire reckons 93% of fans would disapprove of anti-gay abuse.

And yet thousands sing homophobic songs every week directed at Brighton fans.

Again, I stress, if you changed it to racist songs, it would not be acceptable at all, and yet homophobia is more of a problem in English football than racism today.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:00 pm

I think for me, if they were abusing just a large group of homosexuals, then yeah, thats unacceptable. In this case they're just bantering a section for representing the 'gay capital of England', much like other clubs fans get bantered for stigmas belonging to their area.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 2:01 pm

GSC wrote:I think for me, if they were abusing just a large group of homosexuals, then yeah, thats unacceptable. In this case they're just bantering a section for representing the 'gay capital of England', much like other clubs fans get bantered for stigmas belonging to their area.

Exactly this. OK

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next