The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby!

+2
Portnoy's Complaint
mystiroakey
6 posters

Go down

Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby! Empty Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby!

Post by mystiroakey Sat 10 Nov 2012, 11:42 pm

What is about this game that makes it so hard to beat a home team??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby! Empty Re: Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby!

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:00 am

Home crowds and their supporting lift for their side (plus influencing refs).

Local familiarity - ground/weather conditions, wind variations and local topoogy for kickers?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby! Empty Re: Home advantage and sports- specifically rugby!

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:06 am

I think the two mentioned by greytiger are the key ones. Local familarity will also help with the mental preparation, pre-match rituals, etc.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:12 am

Well ifyou take the Irish Vs SA game yesterday a classic example of how the referee is influenced inmaking a decision was the "late tackle" called against Taute.

The referee didn't blow it, then the crowd erupted and he caved in.

That explains the "home call" made by referees.

And then what has been said before
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

Wasn't that on the call of the AR? that's why the ref didn't call it originally and then suddenly blew. Not saying it wasn't crowd influenced but it definitely wasn't late. Even the ridiculously biased Irish commentator on the BBC um-ed and ah-ed over it.

Another example was Care's "tip" tackle. It seemed to be lifting a leg when the guy was almost on the floor already and the guy's hips didn't seem to lift. But the AR gave it (quite probably for reckless tackling that 'could' have lead to a tip tackle rather than an actual offence, hence the yellow card not red). Care's had his issues but I don't think the home crowd wanted him off.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:49 am

Biltong wrote:Well ifyou take the Irish Vs SA game yesterday a classic example of how the referee is influenced inmaking a decision was the "late tackle" called against Taute.

Sorry Biltong but thats pish and i suspect you are aware of that. It was a poorly timed hit (he did try to wrap his arms but he was traveling at some speed). The linesman made the call, not the ref and JP himself knew it was a yellow card and had already left the field and had to come back to recieve it.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:51 am

eirebilly wrote:
Biltong wrote:Well ifyou take the Irish Vs SA game yesterday a classic example of how the referee is influenced inmaking a decision was the "late tackle" called against Taute.

Sorry Biltong but thats pish and i suspect you are aware of that. It was a poorly timed hit (he did try to wrap his arms but he was traveling at some speed). The linesman made the call, not the ref and JP himself knew it was a yellow card and had already left the field and had to come back to recieve it.

Not JP Pietersen's tackle Billy, the one late in the second half when Ireland wanted to run out of their 22 and your winger kicked the ball on his 22.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

Oh, my bad Biltong sorry.

That was a shocking call, i said in the match thread that i could'nt believe that was given.

From memory though, it was give straight away without a delay or influence from the crowd.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sun 11 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

The player’s mindset sometimes. Being a dragons fan I can tell you all about great home performances followed by complete capitulation.....sadly Sad
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down