The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland

+30
Feagh McHugh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
TycroesOsprey
The Rakish Brigand
Bazzer79
mankiaow
Ozzy3213
Rava
Ferris+O'Brien+Heaslip
TheGreyGhost
majesticimperialman
PJHolybloke
Sin é
Gibson
Gatts
Knowsit17
Irish Curry
Thomond
Feckless Rogue
doctornickolas
Boyne
HERSH
Submachine
marty2086
Cymroglan
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
andy powells minder
ME-109
BlueMuff
34 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland Empty Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

Everybody getting nervous now and all aspects of the match are getting scrutinised. However one thing that hasnt really been mentioned is the 30,000+ strong Irish support that will be in the stadium tomorrow.

Home advantage in Rugby is huge ( just look at HC home win stats) and while both teams are far from home many of the Irish players have commented on the massive support they have been receiving. Most commenting that its like playing in Lansdowne only better.

Wales will have big support but will probably be outnumber by 2 to 1.

So question is will the huge Irish support play any part in the match similar to that in Munster and Leinsters HC victories (particlarly the 06 final in Cardiff when the crowd carried the team over the line)?

Last edited by BlueMuff on Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland Empty Re: Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland

Post by ME-109 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Yes...

a. because they are not your normal rugby supporters and they will be well behind the team.
b. Thankfully they are not your normal rugby supporters, anyone who has been at the Munster/Leinster HC games (think Ulster as well) will know that the "outsiders" bring a whole better atmosphere...
lots of olé olés (I even heard someone complaining about it today)...getting behind the team when they are down...

think italia 90.

OLe Ole Ole...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland Empty Re: Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland

Post by andy powells minder Fri 07 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

Just like old dave parade back home, just watch the dragon boys come out firing Wales

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm

Agree with DOD, I would actually say that many are expats and I'm a big believer that Irish people who live abroad seem to have an inflated sense of nationalism.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

red_stag wrote:Agree with DOD, I would actually say that many are expats and I'm a big believer that Irish people who live abroad seem to have an inflated sense of nationalism.
You know what they say. Abscess makes the fart go Honda! Or....somesuch.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:22 pm

Im pretty sure I heard

"Stand up for the boys in green" the last day Leprechaun

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:28 pm

Eric Bristow used to try and get the crowd against him he played better then.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:30 pm

A lot of Kiwis seem to have them as their second team so hopefully thatll help too

The support maybe has been whats missing from the team as without it going into the WC they were lacking now not so much

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:31 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Eric Bristow used to try and get the crowd against him he played better then.

You need to go to the Doctor immediately.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:37 pm

Those of you who know me from the old 606 will understand that I’m not the biggest fan of Welsh rugby, but after reading post after post of rubbish written by some of the Irish fans on here please go out there tomorrow and wipe the smile of those Irish faces, I want to see those arrogant Irish players + fans realise what they have just missed out on.

C'mon WALES. Wales

An Eng v Wal semi would be fantastic for NH rugby.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:38 pm

Clutching at straws old chum..

It'll be a Wales v France semi and you know it!!!!

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

Thank you Hersh

thumbsup

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:39 pm

I mean..... wait a minute..... how do you edit?

EDIT!!!!!

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

Boyne wrote:I mean..... wait a minute..... how do you edit?

EDIT!!!!!
Doh Doh Doh Doh Doh

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

HERSH wrote:Those of you who know me from the old 606 will understand that I’m not the biggest fan of Welsh rugby, but after reading post after post of rubbish written by some of the Irish fans on here please go out there tomorrow and wipe the smile of those Irish faces, I want to see those arrogant Irish players + fans realise what they have just missed out on.

C'mon WALES. Wales

Hersh its a little like this. Us Irish lads do nothing but kill with each other when it comes to provincial rugby (and thats putting it mildly). However when it gets to WORLD CUP QUARTER finals we unite like never before with national pride.

This is what has happened to you. You can no longer fight your national sense of pride.

This is show time

COME ON IRELAND

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

Hersh see you at the doctors Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

HERSH wrote:An Eng v Wal semi would be fantastic for NH rugby.

As an Irishman I wouldnt begrudge Wales a victory inspite of their fortune earlier in the year but England? The lying cheating sexist arrogant womanisers? Vive La France!!!!!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 07 Oct 2011, 4:57 pm

To see the support in New Zealand for all the teams has been fantastic. Kiwi's have thus far put on a fantastic event, even with with the ridiculous KO times not taking from the enjoyment. If either Wales or Ireland get to the final and have a shot at being crowned World Champions it will be richly deserved... I mean they will probably have to beat a "rest of the world" 15 in the semi just to get there.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:03 pm

I think Kiwi's will be split on this. They liked us after we beat Australia. And the Irish are great craic. But the Welsh are great craic too. And the Welsh team is playing an attractive brand of rugby that I think the Kiwi's appreciate.

Anyway, a few people have compared the atmosphere created by the large Irish support with Italia 90. But at that tournament we got knocked out at the quarter final stage. Shocked

And some people are also saying it's like playing in Dublin for the players. But Wales have a better record against us in Dublin than they do in Cardiff! Shocked Shocked
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 07 Oct 2011, 5:08 pm

I don't really see how we're being arrogant, a lot of people who say Ireland will win is based on hypothetical scenarios, that if they go Wales' way will prbably lead to a Welsh victory.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 7:45 pm

I will be supporting whoever wins this match if they play England, otherwise if Wales win, yer on yer own laughing
alle le vert!!
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:00 pm

I think Ireland are more likely to come shooting off the starting blocks as a result of the passion and confidence the ranks of fans will give them.

If Wales show the resolve I hope we'll see and resist the bubbling Irish spirit, maybe take the lead early and don't surrender it back, I can see Irish nerves creaking and collapsing on the occasion but tbh with the game so close and my own nerves jangling there's very little I can't see happening.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Wales must not ship an early try. It is imperative we start the game as switched on as we are after 20 minutes, All too often we play catch up and this forces our gameplan. SA scored early and the last time we played ireland BOD scored after 2 mins. We must take control from the KO.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:13 pm

Spot on Gatts. Its all about momentum. And Focus.

As for the Ole Ole Ole shoite from our new-found fans... It makes me cringe. Even more so than The Fields.

I really liked music Take Me Home (meaning Home for the opposition and Home to the Final for us) Country Road music by the Irish fans. Think it was at the Oz game. More!
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:38 pm

Ireland Ireland, Together going home

Shoulder to shoulder, hearing our flight called!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

Laugh Laugh
You forgot to add "with the world cup" warning
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 07 Oct 2011, 8:56 pm

Wales will have tons of support - Gats is a local boy. His Mrs. has been organising hosting Kiwi families for the Welsh.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm

Irish Curry wrote: Laugh Laugh

i think you will find i didn't! Very Happy

Don't miss your flight will you

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:03 pm

Gatts wrote:
Irish Curry wrote: Laugh Laugh

i think you will find i didn't! Very Happy

Don't miss your flight will you

I'd heard a rumour that Kev was up all night eating potatoes...
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm

Listening to newstalk this evening, the Irish have arrived on mass. Said there is 3 miles of camper vans oustide Wellington all with tricolours.

COME ON IRELAND

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:13 pm

All this talk on Munster and Leinster beating the Welsh Regions and doing so well in Europe is just nauseating,
Isa Nacewa,Doug Howllet, Heinke van der Merwe,BJ Botha and Mafi don't play for Ireland guys.

Wales to win by a lot more than you think. Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:16 pm

viewtothegym wrote:All this talk on Munster and Leinster beating the Welsh Regions and doing so well in Europe is just nauseating,
Isa Nacewa,Doug Howllet, Heinke van der Merwe,BJ Botha and Mafi don't play for Ireland guys.

Wales to win by a lot more than you think. Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1606482304

No no no thats a different thread. This thread is all about how the huge Irish crowd are going to beat Wales Very Happy Cool

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:23 pm

I see the Irish scrum being walked backwards tomorrow and the Irish back row being shut down quicker than an unlicensed pub.

Wales are being massively underestimated.

Also why do the Irish boo the kicker? i found it disgusting in the Italy game.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:29 pm

viewtothegym wrote:I see the Irish scrum being walked backwards tomorrow and the Irish back row being shut down quicker than an unlicensed pub.

Wales are being massively underestimated.

Also why do the Irish boo the kicker? i found it disgusting in the Italy game.

Give it a rest - the Irish show the most respect for kickers in the world. Have you ever been to TP or the RDS

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:32 pm

Didn't you watch the game v Italy?

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:35 pm

Have you ever watched any Welsh match - people in glass houses....

Cant believe im taking the bait. View the gym have Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1145808659 on me Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 732107

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

Blue guinness
What are the Irish doin in Mass? in Wellington? Feck it lads, no time for prayers. Get down the Pub and get razzed for yer Country, ya gobshoites! zen

.................guinness............. guinness............. guinness ..

............................................................................................

......................... guinness ............ guinness .......................

............................................................................................

.................guinness............. guinness............. guinness ...

................................... guinness .......................................

.....................................guinness ........................................

........................................... guinness .............................

.................................................... guinness .........................

......................guinness .......................... guinness ...............

.................................... guinness ............................................

Believe
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 9:54 pm

Laugh clap
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:07 pm

A strong, rich, experienced, matured, tasty, lively, multi award-winning, creamy guinness ... always beats a fizzy young pale ale with no brains.

Just sayin...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:10 pm

Gibson wrote:A strong, rich, experienced, matured, tasty, lively, multi award-winning, creamy Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1145808659 ... always beats a fizzy young pale ale with no brains.

Just sayin...

Thats it Gibson mo chara down to Koileys at 5.30am in the morning. Cant f**cking wait COME ON IRELAND

Dont think they will have <largebottleofguinnessofthetopshelf> in Koilys will have to settle for a dirty bacon fry. Also heading to the Connacht match tomorow

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

Do you work for Guinness or something? laughing
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm

guinness = vomit

Wales = Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

Re: Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland

........................................................................................................................
Not trying to be funny here, but Home Advantage did not do France any favours in 2007 Rugby Wold Cup now did it

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:12 pm

Ah what a day Blue! Nice man. You lucky basterd. Enjoy it mo chara. OK guinness

And Believe.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:15 pm

Irish Curry wrote:Do you work for Guinness or something? laughing

Well Curry, I wouldn't say I'm on the payroll like, but I must have sponsored a phhoke load of their employees pensions over the last few years. I like a guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:16 pm

Fair enough Wink
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

viewtothegym wrote: Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1145808659 = Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1890400415

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1606482304 = Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 479796

Will "home" advantage make any difference to Ireland 1710857839

IrishCurry you should buy shares in Guinness because when Ireland win tomorrow we are going to drink St James gate dry

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:25 pm

Hey lads. I spose ye have seen this already yeah?

Gavin Dempsey! Laugh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rbuLn-Y8KM&feature=player_embedded

Bit of a laff for our Taff & Paddy brethren. guinness
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:29 pm

Sorry Gibson i heard someone else giving out about the Ole crowd. What a load of shoi.te by jumped up d4 or "real" rugby supporters. I am amazed at you. These are the same people who when Ireland are 5 points down with 10 mins to go will get the crowd going. You wont see your d4 head or whatever from limerick or cork cheering the team on like that. Don't be so condescending .

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 07 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

laughing

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next