The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29

4 posters

Go down

CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29 Empty CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29

Post by Mr H Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

For a few weeks now there has been speculation as to who will be champion come WrestleMania, and more importantly, who will close the show?

Now it appears we may have an answer, according to F4WOnline.com (via WrestlingInc.com). "As recently as last week, WWE creative was forwarding storylines with the idea that CM Punk will be featured in the closing match of WrestleMania 29."

It appears CM Punk will finally be getting the respect he has been longing for.

Overall, if this does indeed happen, it will be a defining moment in Punk's career. It will mark the first time that he headlines a WrestleMania. Ultimately, Punk has been a workhorse for the company, and this move will show that the WWE appreciates his hard work and dedication.

The fact is, if The Rock beats Punk at the Royal Rumble and becomes WWE champ, he probably won't hold it past WrestleMania. Especially considering that he will have to do press for the upcoming G.I. Joe sequel. According to IMDB.com, his foreseeable film schedule looks jam-packed.

So, if a Punk-Rock rematch is in the works, we could witness Punk become a part of an elite few who have beaten "The Great One" at WrestleMania. Let's face it, with the exception of tag matches and a four-way match, Stone Cold Steve Austin is the only man to defeat The Rock in a one-on-one bout.

Ultimately, if Punk can pull this off, he could be ranked among the WrestleMaina immortals.

In the end, WrestleMania is still five months away, and anything can happen. Luckily, for both Punk and the WWE, he is not injury prone and has worked through any and everything the company has thrown at him. Which should bode well for his staying power heading into "The Granddaddy of Them All".

As usual, only time will tell if this proves to be true. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, and if the WWE has enough faith in Punk to let him close the show.

Another option that would catapult Punk to the top of the WrestleMania card would be if either Undertaker or Steve Austin decides to go toe-to-toe with the Chicago native.

Arguably, the mythology of Undertaker's undefeated streak would take precedence over a WWE championship contest between even Rock and Cena. With Paul Heyman in his corner, Punk would more than fulfill his share as a formidable antagonist to the "Phenom."

Moreover, a long shot would be Steve Austin returning to the squared circle to face his videogame nemesis, Punk, in a bout pitting the beer-swilling "Rattlesnake" against the "Straight Edge" superstar.

What do people think? Maybe now we could see Cena v Rock at the Rumble with Punk potentially winning the Rumble? I bet the Punk marks are happy, i certainly am.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29 Empty Re: CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 15 Nov 2012, 10:14 am

If the spotlight is on Punk, I'm always happy.

While it would be tempting to bring Austin back for WM29, I would wait until the following year. His comeback should have all the attention it deserves, and be the number 1 priority.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29 Empty Re: CM Punk Scheduled to Headline Wrestlemania 29

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:07 am

1. I think the problem with any speculation like this, is whatever WWE's plans are now, they're likely to change many times before next week, never mind Wrestlemania season. There have been times where the script for a Raw on Monday morning is literally completely different to the one finally performed that night. WWE does not have the foresight nor the planning skills to have a confirmed plan in mind, so whether or not Punk is set to headline 'Mania 29 right now, that is likely not to be the case next week.

2. I think if he is going to headline Wrestlemania, it will have to involve the world championship. I still think that the most likely to thing to happen is that The Rock wins the title off of Punk at the Rumble, Cena wins the Royal Rumble. I think this means the most likely match up is Rock vs. Punk vs. Cena, I can't see WWE not letting Cena get his revenge on The Rock.

3. While I do think the Austin match will happen eventually, if Punk is scheduled to headline this year, it won't be against Austin, because I am convinced that The Rock will be world champion heading into Wrestlemania, and there is no way Rock as world champion will not headline the show.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

Punk/Austin will 100% not happen at 29. When it happens i fully expect it to be a battle of the tweeners. Punk wouldnt go over being a full blown heel (If he was to go over).

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:17 am

Mr H wrote:Punk/Austin will 100% not happen at 29. When it happens i fully expect it to be a battle of the tweeners. Punk wouldnt go over being a full blown heel (If he was to go over).

Ah, I disagree, I think Punk will have to be a big heel when Austin returns. No matter how popular Punk has been, unless they're in Chicago, Austin's popularity will completely overcome Punk's, so the best thing to do is make Punk into a despicable heel.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:29 am

Yeah you could be right to be fair, i kind of agree with GayFabe anyway that Austin would be the victor.

Would love to see a Mania in Chicago! Imagine the crowd!

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 15 Nov 2012, 11:54 am

For me, Punk is much better as a heel anyway, so against Austin thats how he should be.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Nov 2012, 2:27 pm

I don't think we'd see Punk/Rock one on one at WrestleMania if they had a match at The Royal Rumble.

I'm not saying its impossible but if they where going to go with that match as the WrestleMania headliner then I can't see them giving it away only two PPV's before

I'm also struggling to see why Punk would win the Royal Rumble, for me the way he was being screwed last year the perfect scenario was for him to be denied the title before winning the Rumble and winning it at WrestleMania, particularly when he was a face, to win the Rumble usually requires the character to be booked smartly and with balls of steel, now that Punk is getting some major heat I feel it would be a mistake to have him win the Rumble, I've always felt winning the Rumble was a very face feat and suited a face far more than a heel as its a massive WWF/E achievment and gains you respect, something I feel a heel doesn't need from fans

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down