The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers)

+4
Kenny
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Crimey
8 posters

Go down

Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers) Empty Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers)

Post by Crimey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

At Wrestlemania CM Punk was in arguably the match of the night against Undertaker, the match didn't quite live up to the level of Undertaker's matches with Shawn Michaels and Triple H, but it was certainly a very good match. A lot of people noted that CM Punk probably carried Undertaker through the match, a lot more than Michaels and Triple H had to do anyway. This cemented his claims as being the 'best wrestler in the world' and is probably a big reason why the crowd couldn't help but cheer him, despite the despicable character he's been playing.

Despite the quality of the match, there was a lot of other things, I and others noticed. CM Punk looked a bit overweight, he certainly didn't seem to be in the best shape of his career. He's only 34, so isn't at the age where this becomes an inevitably but it was actually quite obvious at times that he wasn't at peak physical fitness. He also looked to be injured, not just after the failed elbow drop on the announce table, but before that as well. In fact, I've noticed him seeming to be injured since at least his first match with The Rock. Almost all the "dirt-sheets" are suggesting that Punk is working injured. He rushed back from his surgery to face Ryback in a match, and since then hasn't quite been in the same shape or fitness level.

Character wise many will say he's as strong as ever, but I think the Undertaker feud which wasn't widely praised is perhaps evidence that Punk's character isn't at the same level as it had been during his world title reign. Whether the fault of the writers or Punk it seemed the character was clutching at straws to get heat, hence using the Paul Bearer death as the basis of the entire feud. CM Punk has been ever present on our screens for a few years now, taking only tiny breaks, even when injured he's appeared on commentary or performed a promo. Could it be that we're suffering from overkill? Most top stars have taken breaks when at the top, whether forced or voluntary, yet Punk is non-stop. I think character wise a break would be perfect. It'd allow a change at the top of WWE, even if this does mean Cena is back at the top, it will be a nice change of scenery and it will allow WWE time to think of a good story for Punk to return to, whether this be with a feud with Cena or Brock Lesnar or anybody else. They could bring him back face or hell, and imagine the reaction he'd get on his return. Punk got a huge pop on his return after a 2 week break in the summer of 2011, imagine how the crowd would pine for Punk if he was off for a couple of months.

On this evidence I think it would be beneficial for both Punk and the fans if he would take a couple months break. It would allow Punk to rest and recover from any niggling injuries and perhaps sort out any long-term, more serious ones. It'd mean he could get back into shape before his return, allowing him to come back at his peak. It'd also give the character a break, make the fans want more, rather than giving it all the time, it'd mean that the world title scene could have a break which has had Punk involved for nearly 2 years with only small intervals. It'd mean he could have a huge return and come back to new feuds, new storylines.

What do you guys think? Would WWE go too downhill without the 'best in the world' carrying Raw like he has done so for so many months, or would WWE be able to create good enough storylines that Punk isn't missed and becomes a great addition on his return?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers) Empty Re: Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers)

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:11 am

Totally agree, Punk could do with some time off to heal up any injuries he has and also to give his face a rest.

I'm a bit worried that he's going to be on RAW next week to 'address his defeat to the Undertaker', but hopefully it will just be a promo where he states he's going to take a break for a while. He could definitely use it.

To be honest I'd leave him off TV until the summer, because there's nothing for him just now that would hold any major appeal. If he feuds with John Cena just now he's not going to beat him (and like you say Crimey Punk could probably also do with a break from the title picture) and a feud with Lesnar would need more build up.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers) Empty Re: Is it time CM Punk took a break? (Will contain Wrestlemania and Raw spoilers)

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:15 am

I hate to break it to you but he is billed for the Nottingham house show next week in the main event against Cena and Ryback

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

AntLord wrote:I hate to break it to you but he is billed for the Nottingham house show next week in the main event against Cena and Ryback

Does that card also *subject to change*? Thought so.

1. I was asking if he should take a break, not that he was taking a break.
2. Even if he does take part in the UK tour, he could take a break afterwards.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Also a break from TV doesn't necessarily prevent him from doing the odd house show in places that don't get much of an opportunity to see their favourite stars i.e. the UK.

Personally, I wouldn't like to see him take a break, because he is by stupidly far the best thing on the show, and it really suffers without him (this Monday excluded - but Raw won't be like that every week). But if continuing is a risk to wither his health, or his interest, then he definitely should.

Also, the mark out moment when that static sound hits when he comes back would be completely worth it

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

Crimey wrote:
AntLord wrote:I hate to break it to you but he is billed for the Nottingham house show next week in the main event against Cena and Ryback

Does that card also *subject to change*? Thought so.

1. I was asking if he should take a break, not that he was taking a break.
2. Even if he does take part in the UK tour, he could take a break afterwards.
#

hostile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:39 am

If Punk does take a break ( which i think he needs ) i just hope WWE doesn't have someone ' injure ' him to get a rub
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

I think that is exactly what should happen Kenny. But not just anyone:

On Raw this Monday have him come out as usual, but then have Brock Lesnar demolish him. Im not sure why, maybe they can say Paul Heyman got tired of him, or maybe they can have Punk tired of Heyman. But anyway for some reason Lesnar destroys him and then enters some other feud. CM Punk can be off for a few months and then could come back as a fully fledged face to take on Brock Lesnar. Imagine, Lesnar has just won agains someone at a PPV, the next night Heyman is doing the usual rubbish of saying Lesnar is now leaving the WWE yada yada yada, then Punks music hits. The pop would be insane and it would be a good feud. Perhaps in the first match they have, Lesnar can actually win with the help of Heyman, setting up a rematch for WM30 (unless Stone Cold comes back) where Punk gets his big win and WM moment.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

I think a break for Punk would be good for the long run, but I could imagine Punk himself maybe being a little paranoid about his spot if he did take a break for a few months.

Maybe he feels his spot is still not secure and he needs to cement it further.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

id be too excited to see the return promos. the crowd would go insane

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

CM Punk v Faaaaandaaaaaangoooooo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 12 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

That will happen soon enough!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 12 Apr 2013, 4:24 pm

Brock Lesnar to attack CM Punk on Raw this week

Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk Summer Slam (with rock vs cena main event) Brock then attacks Rock after

Stone Cold vs CM Punk at Wrestle Mania 30. With Brock Lesnar vs The Rock as well.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down