The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gloves: How much do they matter?

+12
HumanWindmill
Liam_Main
Sugar Boy Sweetie
wow_junky
coxy0001
azania
Imperial Ghosty
The Galveston Giant
Rowley
Union Cane
Scottrf
D4thincarnation
16 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Gloves:  How much do they matter? Empty Gloves: How much do they matter?

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:06 pm

They are many type of boxing gloves worn today by pro boxers but what advantages do each glove hold over each other.

Back in the day the gloves used to be an important part of negotiations, because the rules were that each boxer had to where the same type of gloves and even the same colour. Who could forget Hamed's arguments with the Barrera camp over the colour of glove, it seemed to matter him more than training.

Pacquiao's then manager signed a deal that stopped Pacquiao wearing "the punchers glove", Cleto Reyes gloves for the first Morales fight and was a factor is Pacquiao losing that fight. Pacquiao immediately sacked his manager for such an error.

Amir Khan wears Reebok gloves, I think one of the only pro boxer that does. I suppose for the endorsement money but could he more effect with say the Cleto reyes gloves to increase his power?

Grant gloves are used by boxers that need to protect their hands, they are also larger and can be used more for defensive work, blocking parrying punches but because of the extra padding around the fist and how they are weighted they take power of your punches making them less effective if you want a KO.

The degree in which theses gloves play apart in defense or power punching is a matter of debate though. What are everybody views on the difference they make and what other types of gloves are out there and what type of fighters do they benifit?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Gloves:  How much do they matter? Empty Re: Gloves: How much do they matter?

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

In importance:

Socks>Gloves>Skills.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:12 pm

Blame the gloves.

Ok.

Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

When it's cold I always wear them. I think they make a massive difference, saves you putting your hands in your pockets, which can then be used for important stuff like cigarettes, lighters and your wallet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:13 pm

Morales always wore Winning (i think) gloves, think they may be Japanese, not sure why but he's the only fighter outside of Asia i have seen wearing these gloves. Cleto Reyes is by far my favourite gloves for obvious reasons and will never forget the look on everyone's face when i first turned up for sparring with a nice new pair, even though they are 14oz, there is very little padding around the knuckle area, with most being around the wrists. I was the king till my mate bought a green pair and i can assure you they hurt, he took great pleasure in giving me some of my own medicine, i own a gold pair of 10oz which i bought of ebay many moons ago, of which i will never use.

Last edited by The Galveston Giant on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:14 pm

You can often tell the type of boxer you have by the gloves he wears. You rarely see a powder puncher wearing Cleto Reyes and you don't see a power puncher wearing Grants.

From that you can see how you must assume that the gloves do play a part.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Morales always wore Winning (i think) gloves, think they may be Japanese, not sure why but he's the only fighter outside of Asia i have seen wearing these gloves. Cleto Reyes is by far my favourite gloves for obvious reasons and will never forget the look on everyone's face when i first turned up for sparring with a nice new pair, even though they are 14oz, there is very little padding around the knuckle area, with most being around the wrists. I was the king till my mate bought a green pair and i can assure you they hurt, he took great pleasure in giving me some of my own medicine, i own a gold pair of 10oz which i bought of ebay many moons ago, of which i will never use.

What do you reckon of Khan's gloves, the Reeboks, they look quite big. I assume it to give a better defence but it will take a bit of his power.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Morales always wore Winning (i think) gloves, think they may be Japanese, not sure why but he's the only fighter outside of Asia i have seen wearing these gloves. Cleto Reyes is by far my favourite gloves for obvious reasons and will never forget the look on everyone's face when i first turned up for sparring with a nice new pair, even though they are 14oz, there is very little padding around the knuckle area, with most being around the wrists. I was the king till my mate bought a green pair and i can assure you they hurt, he took great pleasure in giving me some of my own medicine, i own a gold pair of 10oz which i bought of ebay many moons ago, of which i will never use.

Mayweather wore them during the Gatti fight, described by Manny Steward as 'pillows on your hands'

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:20 pm

There should be only one type of glove used in all pro boxing. I reckon some would like resto gloves or Marg gloves and padding.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:20 pm

A good workman never blames his tools. They don't get you out of the way of incoming punches, neither do they possess the ability to guide your hands to the target.

Another attempt to instigate how D4s lover was so effected because of the wrong gloves.

Seriously sunshine, do yourself a favour and get a life.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

azania wrote:There should be only one type of glove used in all pro boxing. I reckon some would like resto gloves or Marg gloves and padding.

According to D4 they're described as "safety devices" those sorts of gloves.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:21 pm

Never knew that Mighty Atom, certainly a strange decision by Floyd as they always look like pillows, all the weight/padding seems to be around the knuckle area, not sure why Morales has been so loyal to them, unless he had problems with his hands.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

Do gloves used in the pros have to have a certain thickness of padding in certain areas as a minimum? Or is it just the overall weight must be X ounces?

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:24 pm

It is obvious that gloves play there part. If you have ever seen a pair of Reyes gloves compared to a pair of Lonsdale sparing glove you will know the difference and if you have been hit by them you will definitely know.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:26 pm

wow_junky wrote:Do gloves used in the pros have to have a certain thickness of padding in certain areas as a minimum? Or is it just the overall weight must be X ounces?

Are thinking of having just a strip of leather around the knuckles and the wrist padded to the max.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:27 pm

Fact that sparring gloves are heavier has nothing to do with it then

They don't improve defence or attack.

Good workmen don't blame their tools.

End of.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Never knew that Mighty Atom, certainly a strange decision by Floyd as they always look like pillows, all the weight/padding seems to be around the knuckle area, not sure why Morales has been so loyal to them, unless he had problems with his hands.

Floyd was having problems with his hands then so explains that decision Grants what he uses now offer similar protection.

Morales must have had hand problems too, because you would think with his style Reyes gloves would suit him.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Fact that sparring gloves are heavier has nothing to do with it then

End of.

So a fighter wearing gloves with little padding around the knuckle won't have more damaging punches compared to if he had lots of padding around his knuckle?

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

I'll take the Lonsdale ones all day D4, when hit with any glove other than Cleto Reyes the padding can be felt and the punch absorbed slightly, Cleto Reyes offers no such luxury, if your opponent has simple hand wraps on, and it's your lucky day, you might even feel the odd knuckle or two through them.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Fact that sparring gloves are heavier has nothing to do with it then

End of.

You can have Reyes sparing gloves and Lonsdale sparing gloves, same weight and getting a punch of them will feel a lot different.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

Yeah must be Atom, couldn't think of any other reason, Morales would have been a machine with Reyes on and always wanted to see him in a pair. There's no question for me his KO ratio would have improved.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

D4thincarnation: Pacquiao's then manager signed a deal that stopped Pacquiao wearing "the punchers glove", Cleto Reyes gloves for the first Morales fight and was a factor is Pacquiao losing that fight
------
Yes. That and the blood testing. Oh and the socks, don't forget the socks.

I always thought it was because Morales outboxed him? Maybe I'm 70 years old and my eyesight is failing me too....
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

wow_junky wrote:

End of.

So a fighter wearing gloves with little padding around the knuckle won't have more damaging punches compared to if he had lots of padding around his knuckle?

We're talking modern gloves.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:33 pm

Gloves only really matter if you've got bad hands then you need to wear the write pair.You can't really blame a loss on the gloves though at end of the day you still using your fists just with padding around them.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:34 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:I'll take the Lonsdale ones all day D4, when hit with any glove other than Cleto Reyes the padding can be felt and the punch absorbed slightly, Cleto Reyes offers no such luxury, if your opponent has simple hand wraps on, and it's your lucky day, you might even feel the odd knuckle or two through them.

Yeah why did you take Reyes for sparing?

I done a bit of sparring recently and the Lonsdale 16oz are good you can have a good fight and not worry too much about whats coming back. Not sure if the guy I was sparring with was just going too easy on me though.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:37 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

End of.

Maybe that was too extreme an example - but say the padding around the knuckle on 1 pair is 10mm and on another pair it is 7mm, there would be a difference surely?

Just for the record, not saying that using the wrong gloves is an excuse for a loss, just that different brands must have different attributes, just like cricket bats?

Last edited by wow_junky on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

wow_junky wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

End of.

Maybe that was too extreme an example - but say the padding around the knuckle on 1 pair is 10mm and on another pair it is 7mm, there would be a difference surely?

It does, the Reyes gloves prove it.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:39 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Not sure if the guy I was sparring with was just going too easy on me though.

Wait till he knows you better.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

Because i'm a bad ass D4, only joking. I was sparring Gary Macmillian a lot who was supposed to fight Micheal Jennings in a British title elimanator on the Ricky Burns undercard. He is a hard puncher although his record doesn't reflect that yet, he was all kitted out in Cleto Reyes so i thought if you can't beat them join them, still got my ass kicked.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:40 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Not sure if the guy I was sparring with was just going too easy on me though.

We get on fine, he doesn't like Mayweather either.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:43 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:

End of.

You can have Reyes sparing gloves and Lonsdale sparing gloves, same weight and getting a punch of them will feel a lot different.

'Course they would sunshine. Coming from a guy who hasn't sparred you do talk some ***

Can guarantee you get nailed with one you don't see coming you would not be able to tell wtf has happened let alone which gloves they were wearing

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:43 pm

Think it's more about personal preference than anything, not sure we can read too much into certain glove types being better for this or that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:47 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:Because i'm a bad ass D4, only joking. I was sparring Gary Macmillian a lot who was supposed to fight Micheal Jennings in a British title elimanator on the Ricky Burns undercard. He is a hard puncher although his record doesn't reflect that yet, he was all kitted out in Cleto Reyes so i thought if you can't beat them join them, still got my ass kicked.

I've only done some light sparring, not really looking to win or lose just seeing what I could learn and pick up.

Shouldn't sparring just be about working things out for your fight? But if he wearing them you better wear them too.

I know even Pacquiao when sparring switches to Winning

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:

laughing

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Think it's more about personal preference than anything, not sure we can read too much into certain glove types being better for this or that.

They do, I've only done some sparing with Lonsdale's but done some bag work and pads with Reyes's and Londale's and the difference is clear.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:54 pm

Is this just another urine-poor attempt to flood the board with yet more pro-Pacquiao propaganda and speculations? I believe that coxy's point is fairly simple, so why it's being misunderstood I couldn't say.

Gloves do not make a difference to a person's skills. Sure, some may be 'better' for punching, but that doesn't affect the skills a boxer has.

This whole thread seems just another woeful attempt to bring up Pacquiao and try (and fail) to make excuses for his loss to Morales.

Dear Admin: can we please have 'Manny' and 'Pacquiao' added to the swear filter?

Smile

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:56 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
The Mighty Atom wrote:Think it's more about personal preference than anything, not sure we can read too much into certain glove types being better for this or that.

They do, I've only done some sparing with Lonsdale's but done some bag work and pads with Reyes's and Londale's and the difference is clear.

The difference is clear for your comfort, the difference in density is so small that I can't envisage their being to huge a difference

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Is this just another urine-poor attempt to flood the board with yet more pro-Pacquiao propaganda and speculations? I believe that coxy's point is fairly simple, so why it's being misunderstood I couldn't say.

Gloves do not make a difference to a person's skills. Sure, some may be 'better' for punching, but that doesn't affect the skills a boxer has.

This whole thread seems just another woeful attempt to bring up Pacquiao and try (and fail) to make excuses for his loss to Morales.

Dear Admin: can we please have 'Manny' and 'Pacquiao' added to the swear filter?

Smile

It isn't THAT difficult to just IGNORE the Pac-Morales excuse and have a genuine discussion about difference in gloves, unless of course you go into every thread LOOKING for arguments!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:00 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:

The difference is clear for your comfort, the difference in density is so small that I can't envisage their being to huge a difference

The Reyes gloves have much more padding round the wrists and cover much more of the forearm. This strengthens the wrist, and takes padding away from the knuckles.

I think the weight distributing also contributes to the power.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:02 pm

Gloves don't alter power in any way they may slightly alter how much a punch hurts but the power will be the same

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:04 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Gloves don't alter power in any way they may slightly alter how much a punch hurts but the power will be the same

More padding and some of the power is absorbed by the glove, more support at the wrist increases power to also.
The Reyes gloves seem have less give on the padding to more compact.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:08 pm

I think you can't deny the type of gloves matter but to what degree is the answer.

Reyes are also favored by the lighter weights. Can't think of many heavies renowned for wearing Reyes.

Anybody know the details of of the history of gloves? The weights the brands and the rules governing them?

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Anybody know the details of of the history of gloves? The weights the brands and the rules governing them?
Dempsey wore 5 or 6oz gloves, they were even smaller earlier on.

Last edited by Scottrf on Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

I'll get back to basics on this, a punch is calculated by it's force, simply put mass times acceleration. Now Power is force times the displacement (how far your hand is travelling at peak force). Neither of these things are effected by padding of the same weight, obviously a strong wrist will improve slightly the weight distribution but this is achieved mainly though shoulders, legs and back or more simply the core muscle groups.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

Pah gloves are for girls. Cribb and Belcher did fine without them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:14 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:I'll get back to basics on this, a punch is calculated by it's force, simply put mass times acceleration. Now Power is force times the displacement (how far your hand is travelling at peak force). Neither of these things are effected by padding of the same weight, obviously a strong wrist will improve slightly the weight distribution but this is achieved mainly though shoulders, legs and back or more simply the core muscle groups.

Padding does absorb some of the power.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:17 pm

Between two pairs of differing 8 oz gloves it would be minimal

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:18 pm

Scottrf wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Anybody know the details of of the history of gloves? The weights the brands and the rules governing them?
Dempsey wore 5 or 6oz gloves, they were even smaller earlier on.

And heavies today wear 10oz gloves and probably better padding.

So even before we get to the design and weight distribution as well as the materials used it fair to say that if he was using modern gloves he would not be punching as hard.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:19 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Between two pairs of differing 8 oz gloves it would be minimal

It probably is, but it is something very noticeable even by me.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Apr 2011, 4:20 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:And heavies today wear 10oz gloves and probably better padding.

So even before we get to the design and weight distribution as well as the materials used it fair to say that if he was using modern gloves he would not be punching as hard.
Paulie Malignaggi of the Heavyweight division.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next