The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Banks vs Mitchell (Spoilers)

+4
TheMackemMawler
mlop542
Knowsit17
bellchees
8 posters

Go down

Banks vs Mitchell (Spoilers) Empty Banks vs Mitchell (Spoilers)

Post by bellchees Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:26 am

Anyone awake and see this?

Big upset as Banks blasts Mitchell out in 2 rounds to set himself up to fight Wlad, the man he now trains, probably a first in boxing.

A really nice win for Banks given his situation with Manny Steward.

This could be a blessing in disguise for Mitchell as Wlad would have absolutely pole axed him and hopefully he's learned something from this.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Banks vs Mitchell (Spoilers) Empty Re: Banks vs Mitchell (Spoilers)

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:38 am

Gotta give Banks credit, I didn't rate him highly before now but he's just helped steady Wlad to a routine win through the Steward shock and destroyed one of the division's top prospects in the space of a week. Maybe an enthralling and dramatic fight with one of the K's on the horizon? Or will they treat him as they do each other and refuse to fight him given his connections to the camp?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:39 am

Couldn't have written that one any better, madness!

Can we now consider Mitchell exposed? Honestly I haven't followed him too closely but I do think he was ranked as one the next generation of heavyweights.

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by mlop542 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:41 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Gotta give Banks credit, I didn't rate him highly before now but he's just helped steady Wlad to a routine win through the Steward shock and destroyed one of the division's top prospects in the space of a week. Maybe an enthralling and dramatic fight with one of the K's on the horizon? Or will they treat him as they do each other and refuse to fight him given his connections to the camp?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say no, neither K bro will matchup with him. In any event, despite this upset surely the outcome is even more obvious than Mitchell vs a k bro

mlop542

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 9:06 am

Personally, I don't think it was an upset. Wilder has always been the genuine prospect from the two. I never really rated Mitchell but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He's very powerful and game but he's started the sport too late to perfect the subtleties. He will always provide a test for contenders.

Now he's been beaten, he may stop believing his own hype and lose a little confidence. Depending on the opposition, I can see him him losing at least a couple of his next 8 fights.

A box-puncher should beat him most times. Would love to see him try and redeem himself against Wilder, bad move.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 11:46 am

Alma, I've only seen the second round but Mitchell won the first according to the cards.

Banks used good mobility, refused to trade for any sort of sustained period, and countered brilliantly. As usual, Mitchell let his hands go without caution (especially when caught himself) but this time he paid the price. Timing, a brain, and experience were the difference. I haven't seen Mitchell fight much, but he seems to fight along the amateurish lines of "if your opponent catches you once, then make sure you catch him twice". The only problem is, is that when Mitchell's caught he throws double the punches but he doesn't think how to make make them land. Chazz Witherspoon showed that Michell is there to be hit. It seems Mitchell has a decent chin, when he braces himself during a trade off, but Banks fought with a guile and timing, therefore, Mitchell was wasn't able to prepare himself to take the shots. What's more is that Banks' timing allowed him to double up on his power by pre-empting Mitchells lunges and swings and catch him coming onto his shots.

Great performance by Banks (at least in the second if not the first)

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 18 Nov 2012, 12:06 pm

Mitchell got caught hard after hitting banks a couple times and never recovered properly

He can come back, needs to add a little finesse as he gets caught too often and his chin doesn't look great

Wilder hasn't fought anywhere near in the same league so untill he steps up I'll reserve judgement

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:29 pm

Totally agree how the stoppage came about.

He can certainly come back...but he'll fail again at the higher levels. Power combined with limited skill can only get you so far.

It's commendable that Mitchell fought Ibragimov, Witherspoon and Banks in his last three fights. And, while he came through two of those tests, maybe, it was too much too soon. I think experience may help survive, he certainly has better survival instinct than say Bruno.

However at his age, and after only boxing for like 5 years, I doubt he can improve much more.

With respect to Wilder, I agree he hasn't fought anyone in that sought of league, but he has fought domestic level Americans and knocked out everyone. If Brits can sing Price's praises for Knocking out domestic Brits then it's only fair that Americans do the same for Wilder.

It's sensible that you reserve judgement until he has fought someone decent. I think Kelvin Price is the beginning of some decent match making for Wilder. So you may not have to wait too long to pass judgement.

Personally, I think he will do good.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:42 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Totally agree how the stoppage came about.

He can certainly come back...but he'll fail again at the higher levels. Power combined with limited skill can only get you so far.

It's commendable that Mitchell fought Ibragimov, Witherspoon and Banks in his last three fights. And, while he came through two of those tests, maybe, it was too much too soon. I think experience may help survive, he certainly has better survival instinct than say Bruno.

However at his age, and after only boxing for like 5 years, I doubt he can improve much more.

With respect to Wilder, I agree he hasn't fought anyone in that sought of league, but he has fought domestic level Americans and knocked out everyone. If Brits can sing Price's praises for Knocking out domestic Brits then it's only fair that Americans do the same for Wilder.

It's sensible that you reserve judgement until he has fought someone decent. I think Kelvin Price is the beginning of some decent match making for Wilder. So you may not have to wait too long to pass judgement.

I can't agree with that, the guys he has been fighting are not anywhere close to top domestic level American fighters.

Damon McCreary is a retired Light heavyweight.
Owen Beck had lost his last 7 fights, 6 by KO and the only one he went the distance with was a guy on his debut.
Jesse Oltmanns was pretty much retired, 1 fight in 8 years before fighting Wilder.
Marlon Hayes had lost his last 5.

Kertson Manswell is the best name on his record and he's lost to anyone with a pulse.

Wilder might go on to do good things but the guys he's been fighting have been an embarrassment.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:45 pm

i acutally rated mitchell above wilder, still do- i think banks is probably the american to watch now, the k bros situation is unusual, but he hasnt earned a title shot of the back of that win anyway, hopefully tyson fury can come though kevin johnson and get his name known in the states, would love to see him take on one of their contenders (think we are miles ahead of the usa in terms of quality heavys)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:47 pm

Has Banks got a shot at Wlad after that? Seems to be down as a WBC semi final on boxrec which would steer him towards Vitali or possibly the winner of Arreola/Stiverne.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:49 pm

I had a feeling it was going that way Manos - they seem to be steering him towards Vitalis title and then probably a unification fight. Big money if they percieve a yank with a chance.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:56 pm

i dont give him much of a chance against either, forgot about that fight. i was also under the impression pulev vs ustovy (or whatever) and adamek (who KOd banks in 8) vs cunningham was a WBC eliminator.

banks looked decent and is definetly a contender now, but none of the above bar cunningham would have any problems with him

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:57 pm

Probably they are hopng Vitali retires soon and they can face someone easier for the vacant title. Fury, Arreola, Banks, Stiverne and Boytsov all seem to be in the mix for that now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:58 pm

Pulev is with the IBF I think

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

I don't think he'll fight Vitali - I think hes just being manouvered towards it -Vitali retires soon so if he does fight - its probably against Haye.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

bellchees wrote:

I can't agree with that, the guys he has been fighting are not anywhere close to top domestic level American fighters.

Owen Beck had lost his last 7 fights, 6 by KO and the only one he went the distance with was a guy on his debut.
Jesse Oltmanns was pretty much retired, 1 fight in 8 years before fighting Wilder.

Kertson Manswell is the best name on his record and he's lost to anyone with a pulse.

Wilder might go on to do good things but the guys he's been fighting have been an embarrassment.

I'm sorry but I don't know any domestic level heavyweights in America. I thought domestic level was guys that had mostly fought on a domestic level in their own country. By your description of Kirston Manswell then he is Price's Harrison. By definition Price and Wilder have only fought Domestic opposition. I can't see how anyone can disagree with that?

Apart from Mitchell, off the top of my head can you think of many domestic level american heavyweights, I can't without google. Can you? Domestic level is just that, they are known mainly only in their own country and possibly by only die hard fans. They are not considered prospects and can't compete with anyone good.

Both Price and Wilder have fought Tosh. Price's tosh maybe be better than Wilders tosh (maybe?), but they are all domestic level journeymen, nothing more.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 18 Nov 2012, 3:01 pm

Crossed posts there manos. I don't think hope is required - I think they'd know for certain probably having discussed it with Vitali beforehand

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

bellchees wrote:

I was about to say the same. There's no way you can compare Wilder's standard of opposition to Price's. Even A-Farce would stand out on Wilder's record next to the deadwood he's been picking on so far.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun 18 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
bellchees wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't know any domestic level heavyweights in America. I thought domestic level was guys that had mostly fought on a domestic level in their own country. By your description of Kirston Manswell then he is Price's Harrison. By definition Price and Wilder have only fought Domestic opposition. I can't see how anyone can disagree with that?

Apart from Mitchell, off the top of my head can you think of many domestic level american heavyweights, I can't without google. Can you? Domestic level is just that, they are known mainly only in their own country and possibly by only die hard fans. They are not considered prospects and can't compete with anyone good.

Both Price and Wilder have fought Tosh. Price's tosh maybe be better than Wilders tosh (maybe?), but they are all domestic level journeymen, nothing more.

I was thinking more along the lines of top level domestic fighters and serious fighters rather than labelling every part time bin man as a domestic level fighter.

So for the Americans it would be the likes of Arreola, Stiverne, Jonathon Banks, Mitchell, Kevin Johnson, Tor Hammer, even the older guys who are completely shot like Toney, Barrett and Grant would be better than what he's fought so far. That's more what I was looking as to what I consider domestic level for Americans. I'd actually like to see Price in with some of these guys as well as Wilder. I hope your right about Kelvin Price being the start of some good matchmaking for him, he is a big step in the right direction.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 5:15 pm

There was a thread recently about what constitutes world class. I don't know the answer to that question, but i know world level is far removed from world class.

I'd consider most of the names you mention as world level, even if they aren't world class.

I think those names could cross any continent and compete with the top 4 or 5 from most countries.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down