The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis?

4 posters

Go down

Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis? Empty Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis?

Post by lydian Thu 29 Nov 2012, 6:00 am

http://sport.uk.msn.com/golf/long-putter-rule-change-proposed-2

As technology develops so it makes the game easier to play. Golf officials have recognised not all tech developments are good for the game and take it away from its original raison d'etre.
Tennis IMO is also at a crossroads...we have 105inch racquets, strings so strong you can lift cars with them so they dont deform adding massive spin, silicon spray, lighter weight increasing spin, etc, etc.

I hope tennis rule makers look at golf (who have made other restrictions before too) and wonder if tech is driving the game into too much power, and making it too easy to make great shots.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis? Empty Re: Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis?

Post by dummy_half Thu 29 Nov 2012, 6:14 am

lydian

Actually, the change in this golf rule relates to the use of the club, not the club itself - players will no longer be allowed to 'anchor' the top of the putter to part of their body and thereby reduce at least one of the directions of motion of the club during the putting stroke. A tennis equivalent would be disallowing a double-handed shot.

Golf has however in the recent past made changes that are purely technical - maximum club head size for drivers, restriction on the shape of grooves on the club face, disallowing 'sprung face' drivers and certain types of ball.

While I agree with you to some extent that the modern raquet technology is taking the game in a rather one-dimensional direction, there is a strong counter argument when comparing with golf -
Tennis is a direct competition between the two players / teams on the court, all of whom have access to similar equipment.
Golf is primarily a game played against an existing piece of geography, so tech changes have a very significant impact on the challenge posed by the course. Many tournament courses (especially in the UK) simply cannot be lengthened by any significant amount sufficient to counter the bigger hitting of the players at the top of the game.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis? Empty Re: Golf changing tech rules...why not tennis?

Post by newballs Thu 29 Nov 2012, 7:44 am

Reminds me of a golfing anecdote regarding Arnie Palmer an America friend told me about. Apparently Arnie said that his wife used to clean his balls between rounds to which the interviewer replied that he bet that made hi putter stand up!

A tennis equivalent of not allowing a belly putter to be anchored? Having to serve underarm perhaps?

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 29 Nov 2012, 7:55 am

I can't serve underarm - my crimpolene dress won't allow it.

The tech rules in tennis have changed in the past and no doubt will change again - let's hope they get it right when it happens.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 29 Nov 2012, 8:28 am

Good points dummy...I'd just say that its the evolution of tech that allows them to use it in that way.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down