The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flintoffs debut.

+24
mobilemaster8
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
tunes666
Lumbering_Jack
milkyboy
coxy0001
no-mas
Steffan
two_tone
djlovesyou
superflyweight
J.Benson II
ShahenshahG
captain carrantuohil
TopHat24/7
Union Cane
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Rowley
Rodney
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
seanmichaels
hampo17
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Flintoffs debut. Empty Flintoffs debut.

Post by hampo17 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:33 am

Happens tonight and live on Boxnation, despite Frank saying what a disgrace it is.

Credit where credit is due, Flintoff has dedicated himself to this, worked hard in the gym and changed his body completley. The guy he's fighting is like one of those sports movies, shot four times in a drug run that went wrong and in which he saw his best friend killed.

Personally hope he does well but most of all doesn't get serioulsy hurt, and watching the show on Sky1 he isn't as bad as people first believed he would be, throw in the big right hand he has and he has the attributes to do well tonight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Flintoffs debut. Empty Re: Flintoffs debut.

Post by seanmichaels Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:40 am

Apparently the show has been good

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:53 am

Warren slags off any British fighter who he doesn't control and any event he isn't involved him - yet he's not so opposed to it that he won't let it go out on his Mickey Mouse channel. The man is a joke.

I saw the first episode of this (not seen the second, sky plussed it tho), and flintoff looks to be taking it very seriously. He's lost 20kg, lived like a monk for 8 months and dedicated himself to learning & training. He also already has a pro sports background so will be used to crowds and pressure. If its something he wants to do and he's prepared to dedicate himself then good luck to him. I hear he has a powerful right hand which isn't surprising for a 6'4" 16st former pro fast bowler - he ko'd a guy in sparring in the first episode and the programme hasn't been bad at all.

If someone wants to dedicate themselves to a new challenge then good luck to them I say, flintoff seems a nice guy and I hope he does well (wont be putting a brass farthing into that hypocritical snake oil selling charlatan Warrens pocket to find out though).
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:03 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
If someone wants to dedicate themselves to a new challenge then good luck to them I say, flintoff seems a nice guy and I hope he does well (wont be putting a brass farthing into that hypocritical snake oil selling charlatan Warrens pocket to find out though).

It seems Frank Maloney is the most vocal in opposition. Find it very hypocritical of those who state that a heavyweight who has got himself in supreme physical condition should not be allowed a licence. The amount of fighters who can't make the weight these days should look at the dedication Flintoff has shown. Flintoff deserves a licence just as much as the woefully under conditioned Lewis did for the Rahman fight in Cape Town. Gollum should remember that.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:06 am

Ah it was the other Frank was it? The poisen dwarf? He's not someone I would trust too much either, I put no more stock in his opinion than I do Warrens, so the point remains the same.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:13 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Ah it was the other Frank was it? The poisen dwarf? He's not someone I would trust too much either, I put no more stock in his opinion than I do Warrens, so the point remains the same.

Ha ha, the fairies have been! Fair enough - my previous description may have been a bit near the knuckle I guess.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:29 am

Fast twitch muscle fibres, they're the key. Fred bowled at speeds up to 95mph on occasion during his pomp on the cricket field, and those are bound to translate to a good right hand.

Best of luck to him, it'll be tough.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:31 am

Think they've both been at it. I've recorded last nights but Freddie admitted himself he needs to get used to hitting people, when he stunned the MMA fighter in the first episode he stopped and was concerned for his safety, if he does that tonight he could get starched.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:48 am

Might sound bitter but I hope Flintoff gets beat pretty conclusively without being hurt, I find it a bit embarrassing him getting a pro license without any amateur pedigree, hopefully Dawson has at least a little bit of spite in him and puts him in the place, as I'm fed up of these reality dream shows.

Flintoff said its not a publicity stunt, so what is it? Does he think he can make a charge at a title.

It's laughable considering Freddie once said about Pietersen "KP would turn up an the opening of a stamp" yet he is on every bit show and limelight he can get.

Will be interesting if he wears his Jacamo clothes on the way to the ring though.

A decent bowler very average batsman, hope he gets clocked, can do without this reality nonsense in boxing.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:51 am

Did you feel the same when Curtis Woodhouse turned pro?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:53 am

A little grumpy this morning rodders?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:54 am

I saw one of the episodes and he was getting beaten up in sparring so much that they had to stop the seasion and if they been normal gloves and no head hear he would have been in trouble

He has lost a to of weight and is taking it very seriously but from the footage I've seen he looks like a guy who has only been boxing for a couple of months and doesn't look like he's good enough to beat anyone if sort

He's pretty tall and pretty lean for a heavy so he'll need to box behind the jab to do well in his short career

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:58 am

Not sure I agree with you Rodders. If flintoff just rocked up drinking and being jack the lad about it I would, but you could see at the weigh in how much weight he's lost, he's clearly trained very hard and has taken it very seriously. Yeah it is a bit mad that he's been able to get a licence with no amateur background, but he at least has a professional sports background. The show itself has highlighted how tough a sport boxing is and the discipline/dedication required to fight at even the lowest level, and with the sport continuously lurching from farce to scandal a bit of good (ish) publicity won't go amiss. Also, I'd like to think Barry Mcguigan has some integrity and wouldn't get webbed up in a cheap publicity stunt. I detest reality tv of all kinds, but I think Flintoff deserves his dues for working hard to make a go of it, he could easily earn money by not killing himself in the gym everyday and getting punched in the face.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:01 am

Rodney wrote:"KP would turn up an the opening of a stamp"

What does that mean?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:06 am

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:A little grumpy this morning rodders?

8 o clock finish tonight mate !

Flintoff is 35 Hampo I see absolutely no point in this bar a reality tv stunt, a mark on boxing IMO, him getting a license.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:10 am

Union Cane wrote:

What does that mean?

Supposedto say opening of a letter, fancy phone mate not so fancy gadget.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:12 am

Union Cane wrote:

What does that mean?

The stamp I assume is on an envelope.

Rodders obviously has a problem with Flintoff. Very disparaging about his cricket career

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:14 am

Curtis Woodhouse? Sonny-bill Williams?

He's showing more dedication to the sport and the art than 90% of heavies out there. The sight of a fat bloated John MaccyD sat in a room full of empty beer cans before/after the Price fight was a greater mark on boxing than a professional athlete from a different code dedicating himself whole-heartedly into a sport that could cause permanent damage to his health.

He didn't get his licence lightly, as anyone who's watched the second episode will see, he was rejected first time out as his sparring partner wasn't considered good enough so they carried on training him and sent him back with someone 6'8" and 18st for Freddie to prove himself against.

Fair play to the guy, can think of better ways to publicise and monetise post-career fame than getting punched in the face by a pro-HW boxer.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

Nothing wrong with him doing it, as long as he recognises his own limitations here. In the States, folk like Marc Gastineau (ex NY Jets American football player) and Mickey Rourke had a go at pro boxing, not in the expectation that they would rise to any great height, but to test themselves at an appropriate level in a different sphere. I don't imagine that the McGuigans will allow Flintoff to develop any ideas above his station.

Curtis Woodhouse is a different matter, in that he was 26 when he turned to boxing, which gave him more time to absorb his new profession and flourish at it. Flintoff's career in the ring will necessarily be shorter and will not touch the heights to which Woodhouse has risen, but that doesn't mean that he should not be granted the opportunity to test the water.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:15 am

He was a brilliant talent but spent half the time drunk, injured or fat. A couple years of excellence don't negate that. Pietersen is a prima donna but his substance is at least on a par with his style. With Flintoff its more promise than he delivered.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:18 am

I thought it was a fair reflection Sean, never was convinced with him as a batsman.

Fair enough he wants to box, why not do some white collar boxing? Get it out of your system, instead he gets a PRO license and we endure another reality drama.

Peter Andre will be applying for a license next.

Cheers Rodders

Last edited by Rodney on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:19 am

That was in response to whoever claimed rodders was too disparaging of his cricket career.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:22 am

Wonder if a novelty fight with SBW will be lined up in the future.

Also looking foward to Gordy's input on how the HW division is so bad that he can't blame Freddie for giving it a go and had Lewis still been around, Freddie would have never even considered it.

Last edited by J.Benson II on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:25 am

Rodney wrote:...we endure another reality drama.

Cheers Rodders

Turn the telly off and go for a walk or something, nobody is forcing you to watch it!
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:26 am

If he does then so will I so I can fight him. I promise to retire with a record of one fight, one headbutt, one disqualification.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:29 am

Now I know what Azania feels like.

Can you all, please leave me alone.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:30 am

Rodney wrote:Now I know what Azania feels like.

Play the race card, Rodders.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:33 am

I'm not sure a 3 part documentary can really be described as a 'reality drama' that we have to endure.

I'm finding it quite interesting to be honest.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:33 am

I wish him well in this, as people have already alluded to he has worked hard for 8 months to get in shape, earned his licence fair and square and has done fairly well from what the programs have shown. He isn't about to go into the ring with a world beater is he and whats wrong with bringing a bit of attention to the sport? Would'nt agree its quite a gimmick either as there are certainly a lot more easy ways for him to make money and keep his face on the telly.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

superflyweight wrote:

Quite possibly the funniest post I have ever read on here superfly, if there was a category in the awards for such a thing I would be changing my vote. Good work superfly

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:35 am

are certainly a lot more easy ways for him to make money and keep his face on the telly.

Perhaps not. I'd rather get punched in the face than spend anytime in a room with James Corden.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

superflyweight wrote:

Ha Ha nice one Super, very good.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:36 am

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Quite possibly the funniest post I have ever read on here superfly, if there was a category in the awards for such a thing I would be changing my vote. Good work superfly

... and there was me worried that I might get some kind of rebuke.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:37 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Nothing wrong with him doing it, as long as he recognises his own limitations here. In the States, folk like Marc Gastineau (ex NY Jets American football player) and Mickey Rourke had a go at pro boxing, not in the expectation that they would rise to any great height, but to test themselves at an appropriate level in a different sphere. I don't imagine that the McGuigans will allow Flintoff to develop any ideas above his station.

Isn't Seth Mitchell, rated as one of the better HW prospects out there, also a former pro-footballer??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:39 am

superflyweight wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Can never tell whether Rowley's joking, angry or sarccy these days......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:40 am

superflyweight wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Jeff forgot to tell you're banned mate, but good work.

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

And look what happened to him, was only boxing for 4 or so years befor whe turned pro and ended up getting hurt and knocked out and he was a lot younger and fitter than Flintoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

superflyweight wrote:

If he does then so will I so I can fight him. I promise to retire with a record of one fight, one headbutt, one disqualification.

Not before me superfly - and I can promise to retire with one fight, one bludgeoning to death with an anvil then rolling up in a carpet and throwing off a bridge, and one incarceration.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Can never tell whether Rowley's joking, angry or sarccy these days......

He told me the same thing the other week regarding a comment about spunk, I'm a Celeb, and Rycoys's telly. I was flattered, but now I see he's said it to superfly too I feel cheapened. Jeff is a hussy.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:48 am

Forgot about that one sbs, superfly I take my comment back, sugar boys was far funnier, oh and you're banned as well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:05 am

Lets hope Flintoff gets KTFO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:06 am

Steffan wrote:Lets hope Flintoff gets KTFO

Always one I can count on.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:10 am

Rodney wrote:

Aye. If it was Gavin Henson doing it then a tilt at a K-Bro would be being mooted.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

Rodney wrote:

Think you were better on your own mate

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:14 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
Rodney wrote:

Aye. If it was Gavin Henson doing it then a tilt at a K-Bro would be being mooted.
Why? Henson is an even bigger egoistic arrogant person than Flintoff. Id love Henson to get KTFO as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:16 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
Rodney wrote:

I'd happily subscribe to PPV if Gavin Henson was fighting either Klitschko.

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:18 am

Why not Flintoff and Henson have a fight. Could be called 'Battle of the arrogant drunken retards'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:20 am

Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:Forgot about that one sbs, superfly I take my comment back, sugar boys was far funnier, oh and you're banned as well.

Even the description of it is funnier than my comment. Ban me and I'll come back as ONETWO's female alter ego.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

superflyweight wrote:
Rotherham Joe Gans wrote:Forgot about that one sbs, superfly I take my comment back, sugar boys was far funnier, oh and you're banned as well.

Even the description of it is funnier than my comment. Ban me and I'll come back as ONETWO's female alter ego.

You could never stoop so low

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 30 Nov 2012, 11:35 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:And look what happened to him, was only boxing for 4 or so years befor whe turned pro and ended up getting hurt and knocked out and he was a lot younger and fitter than Flintoff

Pacquiao got knoced out and hurt 10 or so years ago.

Basically the argument seems to be that Flintoff can't take up boxing because he might get hurt. Luckily the Mary Whitehouse brigade weren't about when Cassius Clay first laced them up.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next