The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canelo - what now?

+12
ShahenshahG
manos de piedra
mobilemaster8
Bartley Gorman
AlexHuckerby
JabMachineMK2
Atila
eddyfightfan
jimdig
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
16 posters

Go down

Canelo - what now? Empty Canelo - what now?

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 02 Dec 2012, 6:15 pm

I like Canelo, and unlike some, see him as a genuine talent. I accept he was given his title shot prematurely, but hey, who isn't these days?

He’s a strong, young champion who should start to try and build his legacy in 2013, but with Cotto losing, what now?

He can't fight another blown up WW because he will get slaughtered if he does, and rightly so.

Kirkland is nowhere to be seen
No one wants Molina and I think they fought when much younger, too
Lara needs to do a better job of entertaining before anyone will give him a shot

There is still Cotto, but he will be questioned if he takes a fight with him after his 2 losses.

I don't think Canelo wants Martinez, either.

As for Trout. That is the obvious fight at this point and the one that should happen next, but for some reason I don't see it

Who next for Canelo?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Canelo - what now? Empty Re: Canelo - what now?

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 02 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

It'll be Cotto, I reckon.

Naturally, there will be plenty of disgruntled people should that be the case, but I have misgivings regarding Alvarez's career direction right now. I'm not sure that Mayweather, having struggled a wee bit more than expected against Cotto himself, will be venturing back up to Light-Middle ever again, especially in the knowledge that Alvarez is likely to be tipping the scales at something daft like twelve stone come fight night. On top of that, what with Alvarez attracting such a massive fan base, I think the idea will be to keep the win column ticking over against the upper level opponents without ever going near the real cream of the crop for the forseeable future.

Cotto's free of his ties with Arum, so nothing for Oscar to moan about there, and is still perhaps the biggest PPV attraction (or at least he has been) over in the States outside of Manny and Floyd. It's such an easy match-up to make, guranteed big money and what's more, it's a fight that Alvarez would be heavily favoured to win, with Cotto's defeat last night in mind.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 02 Dec 2012, 7:18 pm

I too think that Canelo will aim for Cotto and mayweather

They are adamant on the 4th of May date which rules out Martinez as he is scheduled to fight Murray in April. While Cotto lost last night he is still a big draw and Mexico-Puerto Rican clash is guarenteed gold on Mexican Independence Day

It's still a mystery to what Floy is going to do as he hasn't made any noises so far. I wouldn't rule out May 5th for him as he's used to fighting after long layoffs and Alvarez is one of the biggest draws in the sport so can make him a lot of money. Will floyd take the risk when there are easier fights like Bradley and Guerrero

If cotto can get out in February and win then its a lot easier to sell and will make more sense

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 02 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

Yeah cotto generates way too much money for the fight not to happen. It'll be an all action fight, with the possibility of a canelo win by stoppage.

I don't see what's in the fight for cotto anymore though.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 02 Dec 2012, 10:52 pm

money for one, i think the loss doesnt mean the end for alvarez vs cotto. hes still a credible opponent. however it would probably be another loss for cotto so if he wants another title before he retires then easier options out there, brook/alexander winner for one.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 02 Dec 2012, 11:30 pm

Can cotto still make 154? I thought that was one of the reasons for the move up in weight

Canelo still has a large pool of talent to choose from so finding an opponent isn't the problem. The problem is that they want it to be a huge event and a big money fight which may be harder to find as Cotto was the biggest name behind mayweather at LMW ad those 2 are a fair bit infront of the others in terms of drawing numbers

Lara, Matiroysan, Trout, Molina and Rabchenko are all good fighters and will be wanting the fight with Saul but they won't make the numbers that GB and Canelo will be hoping for on Cinco De Mayo

Kirkland is a good draw but he hasn't made any noise on his return since injuring his arm against Molina and had already priced himself out already

Angulo is on the comeback so that could be an option and being a Mexican brawler it would make good numbers but Angulo needs to prove that he's back

Bundrage isn't a big draw but being an unification fight it may help and being America and not yet showing signs of slipping it would help his American fanbase as he is already huge in mexico

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 02 Dec 2012, 11:55 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:I like Canelo, and unlike some, see him as a genuine talent.
That's the thing I cannot agree on with Canelo. He's not a bad fighter but as far as I can make out he hasn't yet defended his title against anyone ranked in the WBC light middleweight top 10. Even as a champ he's being protected. How do you rate a guy like that?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 03 Dec 2012, 12:44 am

Atila wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:I like Canelo, and unlike some, see him as a genuine talent.
That's the thing I cannot agree on with Canelo. He's not a bad fighter but as far as I can make out he hasn't yet defended his title against anyone ranked in the WBC light middleweight top 10. Even as a champ he's being protected. How do you rate a guy like that?

I see him as a talent and like what I've seen of him so far. Can't argue with anyone who says he hasn't faced top opposition, but I think he'll do well when he does.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 1:12 am

He's decent from what I've seen, certainly not "unworthy" of being a title holder in terms of his ability, certainly in respect of the opposition he's faced though. I read somewhere he's been avoided? That was AGES ago though.

Think he needs to fight some live opponents soon, Hatton wasn't exactly top quality for the WBC title, and then to move onto Ryan Rhodes...not exactly a who's who of light middleweight.

Biggest fight out there for him is Mayweather, who would paste Alvarez everywhere, the biggest winnable fight isn't Cotto, because Cotto would paste him everywhere. I'd say Bundrage or Lara would be the biggest fights out there that he could win.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 03 Dec 2012, 1:33 am

cleverly is protected, canelo is just yet to face true elite fighters, the opposition has been semi decent but the jump in class is about due i'd say

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 03 Dec 2012, 7:26 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:He's decent from what I've seen, certainly not "unworthy" of being a title holder in terms of his ability, certainly in respect of the opposition he's faced though. I read somewhere he's been avoided? That was AGES ago though.

Think he needs to fight some live opponents soon, Hatton wasn't exactly top quality for the WBC title, and then to move onto Ryan Rhodes...not exactly a who's who of light middleweight.

Biggest fight out there for him is Mayweather, who would paste Alvarez everywhere, the biggest winnable fight isn't Cotto, because Cotto would paste him everywhere. I'd say Bundrage or Lara would be the biggest fights out there that he could win.

I find it very hard to believe Cotto would paste Alvarez. Cotto's resume at 154 is possibly worse than Alvarez's and Alvarez would enjoy a heck of a lot of physical advantages.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Dec 2012, 8:50 am

The thing I have about alvarez is how well he's developed given he didn't have an amateur career and while his opposition hasn't been brilliant between Mosley, Cintron, Lopez, Gomez, Rhodes and Hatton you can count the amount of rounds dropped on 1 hand which I feel is very impressive

Had Canelo fought one of Williams, Krkland or Ortiz I would find it hard to critisise him for his choice of opponent. As someone mentioned Cotto's ledger wasn't as good as Canelo's yet he didn't recieve any criticism leaving up to trout.

He can step it up but his opponents have gradually got better and those that people have mentioned like Lara, Molina etc haven't exactly prove star they deserve a shot either

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 9:53 am

Before the weekend id have made Cotto a big favourite over Alvarez. But from what i hear (i havent seen the fight) Trout was just too big and strong for him.

Just get the feeling that Cotto is too small for the genuine Light Middles.

I mentioned on another thread about the fact that i rated Cotto a better welter than Marquez and was pelted for it by people saying Cotto was a Light Middle....after this weekends result, i wonder if those people will be questioning whether he really is, or, as i believe, he's a welter campaigning a weight above where he should be.

In any case, Alvarez should take on Trout and try to unify the division...but he wont and will fight and defeat Cotto, possibly retiring him.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 10:21 am

Is Alvarez a Bob Arum fighter?

If so, then he will be pitched against blown up WW Cotto coming off the back of 2 defeats and clearly on the slide. He fits the bill for a Top Rank opponent.

However, if Alvarez wants a challenge and a stern test, then take on the likes of Martinez, Trout, Molina, Kirkland or Lara.

So far his last 6 fights have been garbage.

Matthew Hatton (who is a welterweight)
Ryan Rhodes?!
Josesito Lopez (Im sure he was a LWW before Ortiz fight)
Shane Mosley (Post Pacquiao/Mayweather demolition)
Alfonso Gomez?! ha!
Oh....and the Kermit that is Cintron.

Seriously?!

He actually won the WBC Title against Matthew Hatton.

Boxing is nuts

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 03 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:Before the weekend id have made Cotto a big favourite over Alvarez. But from what i hear (i havent seen the fight) Trout was just too big and strong for him.

I mentioned on another thread about the fact that i rated Cotto a better welter than Marquez and was pelted for it by people saying Cotto was a Light Middle....after this weekends result, i wonder if those people will be questioning whether he really is, or, as i believe, he's a welter campaigning a weight above where he should be.

In any case, Alvarez should take on Trout and try to unify the division...but he wont and will fight and defeat Cotto, possibly retiring him.

Not really, it was just pointed out he hasnt campaigned at welter in about 3 years and therefore was not considered as part of that division.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Bartley Gorman wrote:Before the weekend id have made Cotto a big favourite over Alvarez. But from what i hear (i havent seen the fight) Trout was just too big and strong for him.

Not really, it was just pointed out he hasnt campaigned at welter in about 3 years and therefore was not considered as part of that division.

If Cotto was a genuine Light Middle, he wouldnt be losing to someone of Trouts standing. This I know!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 03 Dec 2012, 1:07 pm

I actually thought Trout boxed fantastically and would be the toughest test of Canelo's career by far if they fought.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I actually thought Trout boxed fantastically and would be the toughest test of Canelo's career by far if they fought.

Bearing in mind that Matthew Hatton was his toughest test to date, id have to agree with you Alex.

Will he fight him though??

Nope.

You bet its Cotto.

Fits the bill for Top Rank...............2 defeats back to back, small at the weight, on the decline.

Easy pickins ro Alvarez

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 03 Dec 2012, 2:19 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

If Cotto was a genuine Light Middle, he wouldnt be losing to someone of Trouts standing. This I know!

I wouldnt dipute that Cotto was a better welter than a light middle. But your insinuating that people were saying Marquez was a better welter than Cotto when really it was a case of people not including Cotto amongst the welters anymore because he has not been in the division for years and has made no noises about ever returning to it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Bartley Gorman wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

I wouldnt dipute that Cotto was a better welter than a light middle. But your insinuating that people were saying Marquez was a better welter than Cotto when really it was a case of people not including Cotto amongst the welters anymore because he has not been in the division for years and has made no noises about ever returning to it.

Martinez campaigns at Middle, but can still make L/Middle. Cotto campaigns at L/Middle but can still make Welter ala Mayweather.

As a result, i include him when i discuss Welters. Anybody that considers Cotto a true L/Middle, needs to have a word with themselves. Just like anybody that considers Marquez a true Welter needs educating. Do you consider Mayweather a L/Middle just coz he fought his last fight there?! Do you consider Toney a genuine heavy just coz he campaigns there? C'mon son!

Further, im not insinuating anything, i'm stating a clear fact (Rafa style). Revisit the thread and you'll see that someone said they'd take Marquez over Cotto at Welter. Was this person of sound mind? Probably not, but they still said it!

Cheers

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 03 Dec 2012, 2:52 pm

Im ranking fighters in accordance to what division they are fighting in. For all I know David Haye could probably make cruiser. I dont rate him as the number 1 cruiser anymore because he doesnt fight there. I think its a far simpler policy. Nobody said Marquez is a true welter. Of course his more natural weight class would be below that. As would Pacquiao. It doesnt mean they cant be one of the top fighters in another weight class though.

If you are discussing historically, I would take Cotto to rank as a higher welter than Marquez obviously. But when he hasnt fought in the division in over 3 years and may never fight there again I dont rank him in my current list of welterweights as things stand now.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 2:55 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Im ranking fighters in accordance to what division they are fighting in. For all I know David Haye could probably make cruiser. I dont rate him as the number 1 cruiser anymore because he doesnt fight there. I think its a far simpler policy. Nobody said Marquez is a true welter. Of course his more natural weight class would be below that. As would Pacquiao. It doesnt mean they cant be one of the top fighters in another weight class though.

If you are discussing historically, I would take Cotto to rank as a higher welter than Marquez obviously. But when he hasnt fought in the division in over 3 years and may never fight there again I dont rank him in my current list of welterweights as things stand now.

Ok, so you agree that Cotto is a better Welter than Marquez. You shoulda just come out and said that, would have saved a lot of time.

Further, i guess you consider Mayweather to be a Light Middle then? Thats cool. You're wrong, but thats cool.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 03 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

Mayweather has had one fight at light middle while Cotto has been campaigning there pretty steadily. Theres a difference.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

I think your deliberately missing my point, which is hardly that difficult to comprehend so il leave it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Mayweather has had one fight at light middle while Cotto has been campaigning there pretty steadily. Theres a difference.

What weight did he fight Oscar at?! Dont worry, i'll wait.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:04 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Mayweather has had one fight at light middle while Cotto has been campaigning there pretty steadily. Theres a difference.

Glad to see you were man enough to concede defeat. you'll have better days. Hang in there.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:05 pm

Cotto is a LMW as he is fighting at LMW, fact

If Cotto can make 147 than fair do's to him but he said the weight was a problem and he wasn't comfortable at making 147. He isn't a natural LMW, but he is a LMW. We can't assume he is a welterweight untill he shows he can make the limit and untill he does then he can't be ranked among them

Martinez can probably make LMW but doesn't mean he's #1 at 154. Marquez is a welterweight now and untill he moves down then he's a welterweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:07 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Cotto is a LMW as he is fighting at LMW, fact

If Cotto can make 147 than fair do's to him but he said the weight was a problem and he wasn't comfortable at making 147. He isn't a natural LMW, but he is a LMW. We can't assume he is a welterweight untill he shows he can make the limit and untill he does then he can't be ranked among them

Martinez can probably make LMW but doesn't mean he's #1 at 154. Marquez is a welterweight now and untill he moves down then he's a welterweight

You're a bit late mate, we've already done this dance.

Thanks anyway.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:07 pm

Oh my bad 2 out of his last 5 with 3 at Welter and hes weighed in a 4 and 3 pounds under the limit whereas cotto has had the last 5 or 6 at lmw.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:08 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Oh my bad 2 out of his last 5 with 3 at Welter and hes weighed in a 4 and 3 pounds under the limit whereas cotto has had the last 5 or 6 at lmw.

Apology accepted.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

What apology?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:What apology?

You have problems with your short term memory?

Look as your last message.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:19 pm

What? Headscratch

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Not really you basically just ignored what the other posters had to say because you feel that Cotto is a welterweight and rate him despite not fighting there since pacquiao 3 years ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:29 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Bartley Gorman wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Not really you basically just ignored what the other posters had to say because you feel that Cotto is a welterweight and rate him despite not fighting there since pacquiao 3 years ago

Five out of Marquez's last six fights were at weights below Welter....yet you consider him a Welter....therefore, using your logic, im well within my rights to label Cotto a Welter.

Tired of schooling you lot.

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:31 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:Tired of schooling you lot.

On your way then, thanks for that.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:
Bartley Gorman wrote:

Thanks anyway.

Five out of Marquez's last six fights were at weights below Welter....yet you consider him a Welter....therefore, using your logic, im well within my rights to label Cotto a Welter.

I think you need to get back to school

2 of Guerrero's last 6 fights were at welterweight (the most recent 2), 1 of Cotto's last 6 was at 147 (5 on the trot at 154) were he got knocked out and after pacquiao and 3 of Marquez's last 7 will be at welter (2 of his most recent) so that kind of fell back on itself. Cotto hasn't fought at WW for 3 years, how can you rate him after 3 years. If Marquez goes down in weight then he will be a LWW or LW but untill he fights at that weight we can't rate him there.

By your logic then Marquez and Guerrero will be #1 & #2 at lightweight

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

By your logic

Be careful when putting that out there

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:
Bartley Gorman wrote:

Thanks anyway.

I think you need to get back to school

2 of Guerrero's last 6 fights were at welterweight (the most recent 2), 1 of Cotto's last 6 was at 147 (5 on the trot at 154) were he got knocked out and after pacquiao and 3 of Marquez's last 7 will be at welter (2 of his most recent) so that kind of fell back on itself. Cotto hasn't fought at WW for 3 years, how can you rate him after 3 years. If Marquez goes down in weight then he will be a LWW or LW but untill he fights at that weight we can't rate him there.

By your logic then Marquez and Guerrero will be #1 & #2 at lightweight

You've lost me fella.

Get your points tidied up and re-submit.

Cheers

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

Oh dear.

Marquez has fought and Welterweight, boxed welterweights and is campaigning there now, ipso facto - a Welterweight. Unless of course you still think he's a lightweight Bartley? I don't rank him with the lightweights, as he doesn't box there any more - if I did, like you, I'd be hideously outdated in my knowledge, like you.

Fact is, Cotto is a true LMW. Not a NATURAL (as in didn't start there) but given that thats where he boxes now, and has held a title there this in my eyes and most other sane people a LMW and not a Welterweight. Unless of course he comes down and fights at WW again in which case yes, feel free to rank him. But he campaigns at LMW now, and always will in all likelihood so, ipso facto - is a ranked LMW.

Have you just honestly protested that you've "schooled" WHU, Shah and Manos? I suggest you rethink your opponents. I have some quite strong views too, but I'm unlikely to put them up against that kind of debate team in the manner you have.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Oh dear.

Marquez has fought and Welterweight, boxed welterweights and is campaigning there now, ipso facto - a Welterweight. Unless of course you still think he's a lightweight Bartley? I don't rank him with the lightweights, as he doesn't box there any more - if I did, like you, I'd be hideously outdated in my knowledge, like you.

Fact is, Cotto is a true LMW. Not a NATURAL (as in didn't start there) but given that thats where he boxes now, and has held a title there this in my eyes and most other sane people a LMW and not a Welterweight. Unless of course he comes down and fights at WW again in which case yes, feel free to rank him. But he campaigns at LMW now, and always will in all likelihood so, ipso facto - is a ranked LMW.

Have you just honestly protested that you've "schooled" WHU, Shah and Manos? I suggest you rethink your opponents. I have some quite strong views too, but I'm unlikely to put them up against that kind of debate team in the manner you have.

"ipso facto" hahah, you're delighted with that aren't you!

If you consider Marquez having 1 of his last 6 fights at Welterweight as "campaigning there" then ok. Thats fine.

You're wrong, but you have every right to express your opinion...even though its wrong.

Anyway, schools out for another day lads. Start again tomorrow, 8am start.

Cheers

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

Az has been quiet lately but don't worry, Bartley has stepped up to the plate with added condescension for those who are partial.

It's a farily simple point that I think is being made. Marquez last fought Manny as a welterweight and is about to fight him again as a welterweight. So as far as he is a potential or actual opponent for Manny, he's a welterweight and clearly one of the toughest potential opponents for Manny at that weight.

Cotto has been a light middle for 5 fights now and really can't be considered a welterweight until he at least shows some intent to fight there again.

I'd do a diagram but I'm rubbish with microsoft paint.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmy glitter pants Mon 03 Dec 2012, 3:59 pm

Bartley Gorman wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Oh my bad 2 out of his last 5 with 3 at Welter and hes weighed in a 4 and 3 pounds under the limit whereas cotto has had the last 5 or 6 at lmw.

Apology accepted.

picard

jimmy glitter pants

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:11 pm

You're really not on to a winner here Bartley, as others have already ably pointed out.

There's no way that Cotto can be classed as a Welterweight now. It hasn't been a pit stop at 154 lb, ala Mayweather or Pacquiao; it's been a run of three years and five fights, I believe. Your point regarding Mayweather is invalid - he still holds a title at Welter and hasn't yet confirmed that he can no longer make 147 lb, as Cotto has. Cotto, as I'm sure you'll know, refused a second fight with Pacquiao as he felt that the suggested catchweight (I believe it was 150 lb) would have had a negative effect on his performance, so how do you expect him to be making 147 lb? Moving up for a single fight at a higher weight but keeping your title in the lower division while not ruling out fighting there again (Mayweather) is totally different from having a string of successive fights at the higher weight and then publicly saying you can't make the weight for the lower weight class again (Cotto).

By the by, I don't recall anyone saying that Marquez is a "better Welterweight" than Cotto was. Rather, I believe the point I and some others were trying to make is that Marquez's performance against Pacquiao last year could very well have been good enough to beat the Welterweight version of Cotto we saw from 2006 to 2009. Big difference. Similarly, I believe Mayweather to be the superior fighter to Pacquiao, but think that the Pacquiao who tore through Cotto could very well have beaten the Mayweather who fought Judah or Baldomir.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a duck. If it hasn't fought as a Welterweight in three years, isn't ranked as a Welterweight anymore and has announced it can't make the Welterweight limit these days, then it's not a Welterweight anymore, either.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 4:25 pm

Probably still rates Khan as a lightweight.....

Am guessing his top 4 lightweights would be something like:

Juan Diaz
Michael Katsidis
Nate Campbell
Joel Casamayor

As his mind seems to be stuck in a 3 year reverse.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 03 Dec 2012, 5:28 pm

88Chris05 wrote:If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's a duck. If it hasn't fought as a Welterweight in three years, isn't ranked as a Welterweight anymore and has announced it can't make the Welterweight limit these days, then it's not a Welterweight anymore, either.

/argument.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down