The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

+28
Sugar Floyd Louis
owen10ozzy
All Time Great
John Bloody Wayne
JabMachineMK2
ONETWOFOREVER
bellchees
88Chris05
tunes666
captain carrantuohil
Fernando
TheMackemMawler
Happytravelling
BallchinianMuffwig
tomfinneywalksonwater
djlovesyou
sweet_pea
GW40
coxy0001
TechInept
6oldenbhoy
Seanusarrilius
trenchtownbaboon
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
32 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December Empty Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

Oh yes, Alex is back, with more terrible predictions and more rambling about Boxing!! Strap yourselves in for a bumpy ride!

I mean I can't help but look forward to this weekends action, but the amount of fights I'm gonna have to put reviews up for is insane... However, the amount of fantastic fighters that we are able to watch this weekend is immense. We looked up to the Boxing Gods, and they answered.

Ok so let's get cracking:

Manny Pacquiao Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez - Welterweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Let's start off with the big one.

The fourth time these two meet up in a ring, and it feels like even more of a pick 'em than the other 3. Lest we not forget Marquez was a massive underdog in all of the other 3 fights, now more and more people are siding with JMM to finally get his victory over Manny, or get jobbed on the cards as many felt in the most recent meeting between these two.

Naturally I think it will be cagey, at no point in the last meeting did it look as though either man was thinking KO, seemingly more focused on nicking rounds with small flurries quick singles to take the round on the cards. This time I feel Manny may be feeling a different approach, to try and seriously excercise his speed on JMM and burst through with combinations, but with the fight lulling into them both posturing and posing at each other again.

I get this feeling that Manny and his team feel as though they have to either win incredibly decisively to get the win, or to knoc Marquez out as they prhaps feel that they won't get lucky on the cards for the 3rd time in a row if the fight is razor close.

My Fight Prediction: Pacquiao to take a decision, NOT controversially either. A fair decision on a very diffficult fight, but one that Manny finally, really puts his mark on proceedings. I just think Team Manny will be completely on the ball for this one and really get Manny to fire on alll cylinders for this fight.

Alex's Special Fight Review: Needless to say, a 5 Star Fight.

Yuriorkis Gamboa Vs. Michael Farenas - Super Featherweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Y'all must have forgot! Jeez, to be honest Yuriorkis, we almost did! Yes you're a great talent, but bloody get in the ring and show us! Well I guess tonight he'll be doing that at least, against Michael Farenas, a tough fully fledged Super Featherweight that has never been stopped, though not in the same skill league as Gamboa. (How many are?)

Let's be honest, Gamboa is a pretty special fighter and given the fact that he hasn't fought for a year they won't be putting him against a real world beater, and they haven't. Farenas hasn't been in with anywhere near the kind of quality that Gamboa except for his last fight, which was called a Technical Draw after 3 against the unbeaten Japanese Champion Uchiyama. So I can't really class that as an "Experience".

Compared to Gamboa almost playing with the likes of Salido and Solis. Oh, but Farenas may win because his nickname is Hammer Fistl which is just too good... But no I actually expect the little Flllipino to get his arris handed to him.

My Fight Prediction: Gamboa KO, too fast and just simply too good for Farenas, but he may want to get a few rounds under his belt before that.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 and a 1/2 Star Fight.

James Degale Vs. Fulgencio Zuniga - Super Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA WealthTV

For the AMAZINGLY prestigious WBC Silver Belt!!

James Degale's career finally looks to be heading in the right career, boxing regularly again, there being talk of up to six fights next year, also. He already has a date lined up on January 26th, against Mouhamed Ndiaye for the European Title, but first he has to get past the experienced Zuniga. However, I do get a feeling that Zuniga is perhaps a fair bit past his best now. Beaten by a shootout by Oosthuizen in his last fight, he looked as though he had lost a fair bit. Nevertheless he is a very tough Colombian who has only lost to the best, like Pavlik, Bute and Cloud (Bear in mind he's not really a Light Heavyweight).

Zuniga brings plenty of experience to the table and has boxed at far higher levels than Degale and so brings plenty of World Title experience to the table, however I think the fresher Degale should have enough to keep him off. Degale looked a little unsure of himself at times, unsure of which way to box, and being backed up to the ropes too easily and allowing his work rate to drop losing him rounds. I would say he needs to put in a better performance than he did last time out, otherwise this could have a suprising end to it.

My Fight Prediction: Degale UD, too slick and fresh for Zuniga who is a bit past it now and won't quite have the engine or drive to take Degale at this stage of his career.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 5 Star Fight.

Kid Galahad Vs. Ivan Morote - Super Featherweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

Kid Galahad against another journeyman, still learning his trade has looked good so far, so expect him to look good in this one.

My Fight Prediction: Galahad UD, just too good for the journeyman.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 2 Star Fight

Chris Eubank Jr. Vs. Oleg Fedotovs - Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

You can forgive Eubank Jr. for taking on complete dross this week, due to the fact that the man actually fought last weel also and went 8 rounds, in a competetive fight (Never mind what the judges scorecards said) against Bradley Pryce. The same questions will arise is he as good as his father, his lack of power, the fact that he's not inside the weight limit for any fight, although he hasn't fought for a title so it doesn't matter as much.

My Fight Prediction: Chris Eubank to take a stoppage win in this one, due to his opponent being useless.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 1 star fight.

Brian Magee Vs. Mikkel Kessler - Super Middleweight Division - Somewhere In Denmark - Sky Sports, Danish PPV

Magee is a really tough man, but Kessler is just tougher. I think Kessler has lost a slght bit of speed and his defences aren't quite as tight as they once were, but should just have too much in the tank for Magee. Magee, as always will give his absolute all, but Kessler's subtleties and extra weaponry will see him off.

My Fight Prediction: Kessler KO, Mikkel to take him out late, possibly with body punches.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 4 Star Fight.

Darren Barker Vs Kerry Hope - Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

Kerry was billed as "No Hope" against Proska not too long ago, but oh my, did he upset the apple cart. Do I expect him to do it again? Nah...

Barker has had a fair amount of time out though, putting up he kind of spirited performance he did against Sergio Martinez I can't really see him losing this one.

My Fight Prediction: Barker UD, just too good a boxing brain for Kerry Hope.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Erick Ochieng Vs Max Maxwell - Light Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

For the English Title, I really like Max Maxwell, having an incredibly cool name and a really good guy personality. A little bit under rated in my view I reckon he can pull of the upset. Max will look to put as much pressure on Ochieng as possible and will make it as physical as he can. Should be a real fun one.

My Fight Prediction: Maxwell to take the decision in an upset. Come on Maxy!

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight.

Carson Jones Vs Dean Byrne - Welterweight - London - Sky Sports

Well to be honest I'm still a bit upset about Lee Purdy not fighting Jones, because that would have been a real great clash. Dean Byrne, the "Irish Lightning" steps in. In truth I haven't seen Byrne much, only a couple of times, but I didn't rate him all too highly, so I expect Jones' workrate and physical strength to be too much for Byrne and for him to be stopped mid rounds. Should still be a very watchable fight while it lasts.

My Fight Prediction: Jones KO Round 7, just too much power and strength for Byrne to deal with.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Khalid Yafai Vs. Jorge Serez - Bantamweight - London - Sky Sports

Another fight for Kal, fighting so often which is great to see. Expect him to look sharp and devastating as always.

My Fight Prediction: Don't know a thing about his opponent, but Kal by KO.

Alex's Special fight Review: A 2 Star Fight.

Jeez, so there you have it, may have missed a few out htis week due to there being sooooo many.

Anywho use this thread as a live fight discussion thread.

Also, thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:05 pm

Got writer's cramp Alex ????

Manny by deserved decision..............

Kessler ko 10 Magee

Degale decision...

Jones decision

Barker mid round stoppage

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

I will be using this site for live this evening. Will be recording the majority of boxing and watching it side by side with primetime as of 2300.

Good night ahead gents!

As always, great review and will have to probably mostly agree with your predictions.

I'm a bit 50/50 on pacman vs jmm though

I think we could possibly see their best fight yet.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm

You've grown rather well from the inexpereinced kid who used to frequent the blue oyster. Good article.

I've got Marquez by KO but I don't know why. Rational thoughts are saying Pacquaio KO but can't shake the feeling.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:25 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:You've grown rather well from the inexpereinced kid who used to frequent the blue oyster. Good article.

I've got Marquez by KO but I don't know why. Rational thoughts are saying Pacquaio KO but can't shake the feeling.

Same here and don't know why either. Would be epic though.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:25 pm

Manny must feel that despite Marquez's physique and his own decline, that he has the better stamina and more power. For that reason I think that manny might just try to get at him early as Marquez can't really hurt him, except to the body, but can wins rounds in clean punches so if he starts quickly (even if it means getting countered) thn. marquez will start fading by the mid rounds for pacquiao to stop him late about round 10 when the scorecards are even

Gamboa is perhaps the best fighter around imo but promotional failings has got in the way. Arum took too long to make Lopez-Gamboa, 50 cent tried to sign him, promotional dispute, TMT promotions folding and now fighting under the name SMS promotions on a TopRank card. Farenas looks pretty tough and can bang a bit so Gamboa might struggle with ring rust but his class will pull him through possibly stopping him

The other fights are good and the listed fighters need the rounds and the activity, Degale, Yafai, Eubank need rounds.

Degale points after a couple rocking moments

Yafai and Eubank to get past their opponents with some to spare with yafai stopping his

Barker should beat Hope easily enough on points

Jones could do enough to force the stoppage

Kessler will stop Magee

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 6:28 pm

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else.

Marquez only weighs in at 143 lbs but looks in incredible shape.
Manny weighs in at 147 bang and also looks in incredible shape.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sat 08 Dec 2012, 6:46 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Manny must feel that despite Marquez's physique and his own decline, that he has the better stamina and more power. For that reason I think that manny might just try to get at him early as Marquez can't really hurt him, except to the body, but can wins rounds in clean punches so if he starts quickly (even if it means getting countered) thn. marquez will start fading by the mid rounds for pacquiao to stop him late about round 10 when the scorecards are even

Gamboa is perhaps the best fighter around imo but promotional failings has got in the way. Arum took too long to make Lopez-Gamboa, 50 cent tried to sign him, promotional dispute, TMT promotions folding and now fighting under the name SMS promotions on a TopRank card. Farenas looks pretty tough and can bang a bit so Gamboa might struggle with ring rust but his class will pull him through possibly stopping him

The other fights are good and the listed fighters need the rounds and the activity, Degale, Yafai, Eubank need rounds.

Degale points after a couple rocking moments

Yafai and Eubank to get past their opponents with some to spare with yafai stopping his

Barker should beat Hope easily enough on points

Jones could do enough to force the stoppage

Kessler will stop Magee

You could be right about Pac\JMM fight mate judging by what roach said they need to try and stop Marquez as if it goes the distance Pac will loose this time, Ive still picked Pac by decision in the Owens comp thinking age may be a factor in this fight but thats just my opinion, I really want Marquez to get the nod this time as it is long over due.
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:14 pm

Yafai scores a first round knockdown with a body shot and he is looking sharp. He looks to be going for the KO in round 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:17 pm

Evening all. Lots of good fights tonight!!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:18 pm

Nice write up, Alex.

Yafai looks good, better prospect than Cardle or Ward for me. Hope he moves up to Super Bantam soon. Great domestic fights to be had.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:20 pm

Good stoppage. Yafai gave him a lesson.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:23 pm

Yafai stops hi I te 3rd round, he was putting a real beating on Perez before the ref rightly stopped it

Yafai got hits a bit more in this fight but looked so strong. He has really heavy hands, quick hands and most importantly a varied arsenal. Body shots, uppercuts, jab, straight right, hooks he throws them all

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:25 pm

Really good performance from Yafai, looked the business, I'm 1-0 in my predictions, woop.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

I felt Cardle looked distinctively average 6oldenboy.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

Yafai looks a prospect, I want to see him vs Booth!

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:47 pm

Decent first round, already shaping up to be a decent scrap this.

Side note - but where's the live chat gone?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:50 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I felt Cardle looked distinctively average 6oldenboy.

He has a win as against Alexis Vastine, which is nothing to be sniffed at, but I feel he looks flat footed and too reliant on single shots.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 08 Dec 2012, 8:55 pm

O'Kane is breathing heavy.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:03 pm

Got Ryder a mile ahead. Reminds me a little bit of Martinez of how he shapes up with the low right hand and left tucked by his chin

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:06 pm

Where can I see the Kessler fight? What channel

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:08 pm

Ryder picking his shots well but O'Kane doing better when he boxes but seems to have lost a lot of energy trying to apply pressure

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:09 pm

Kessler on Sky Sports 1 after the London bill I think.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:10 pm

Just like to say thanks to everyone giving updates. Am tending to sick daughter and i've turned everything off. was gutted about m, missing tonights action..really wanted to see yafai gamboa and marquez

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:13 pm

Shah - Ryder stops O'Kane in the 8th, ref jumps in with him on his feet. Ryder looked good though, although O'Kane was wild with his punches and pretty reckless.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:19 pm

Not sure how Nelson had O'Kane up at the stoppage. Very few clean punches landed, Ryder definitely did the better work for me.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

Nelson announcing that made me verbally say "pr!ck!"

Sometimes got to wonder what planet some of these guys are on. Barely landed anything of note and yet had him up?!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

All very well saying he was the aggressor but when you are nearly falling over because you're swinging so wildly its not really worthy of winning rounds. I've seen more composed fighters at 12am in the pub car park.

Last edited by GW40 on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wine)

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

Nelson was on something through that fight if he had O'Kane up, think he won 2 rounds max.

Ryder looked very good, Saunders would have him though. The risk versus the reward there for Ryder was worth it because his stock goes up massively after that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Barker started pretty well for someone who has been out for so long

Hope trying to rough him up while barker is trying to keep it long but doesnt mind trading as Hope doesn't hold a lot of power

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:42 pm

Reckon Barker will win this within 8.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:44 pm

another 3 rounds max
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:45 pm

Barker walking it, that last round could have been 10-8, completly one-sided. Is everyone expecting James Degale and Kessler to get the wins tonight?

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:46 pm

nevermind
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:46 pm

Quality knockdown. Once the ring rust wore off Hope was outclassed big time.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:48 pm

TechInept wrote:Barker walking it, that last round could have been 10-8, completly one-sided. Is everyone expecting James Degale and Kessler to get the wins tonight?

I'm on Degale 8-9-10 and Kessler 4-5-6 (I like round betting).

I was also on Barker 3-4-5 for what it's worth, but I hate it when people declare their bets after they've won.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

One of the best performances of Barkers career that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

I was surprised the ref let him restart, you could see he wasn't ok to continue, Barker was brutal tonight.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:50 pm

was that a super middleweight fight?
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

Middle.

Barker vs Macklin looking real tasty.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

Middleweight wasn't it

Very impressive from Barker, what a way to announce a comeback. Hope never really got into a rhythm as Barker started pretty fast

Still think Macklin beats him

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Middle.

They need to start getting these fights on really.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

I've sold the fight minutes on the Kessler bout and will probably go Degale on points but not decided yet.

Barker came across well in his interview.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

Degale will probably win on points, but no value there in my opinion.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:53 pm

sweet_pea wrote:was that a super middleweight fight?
i thought that because all the captions when they introduced the fighters said middleweight, think they said a catch weight between super and middle was agreed.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:55 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Middle.

oh right, i'm sure the announcer said barker won the ibf intercontinental super middle title.

i may have heard wrong though
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:56 pm

I've just gone for a conservative triple, Eubank, Degale and Kessler to win by any means.

I'm a big fan of Degale, but I'm never confident he'll get a KO. I do think Kessler will get the stoppage though, not sure Eubank could knock out me, let alone a (professional?) boxer.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

Barker weighed in 162.75lbs and Hope weighed 161.5 lbs so it was obviously a catch weight probably around 163/164 lbs

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

11 stone 9 pound was the agreed weight limit.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

How did Jones get on?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next