The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

+28
Sugar Floyd Louis
owen10ozzy
All Time Great
John Bloody Wayne
JabMachineMK2
ONETWOFOREVER
bellchees
88Chris05
tunes666
captain carrantuohil
Fernando
TheMackemMawler
Happytravelling
BallchinianMuffwig
tomfinneywalksonwater
djlovesyou
sweet_pea
GW40
coxy0001
TechInept
6oldenbhoy
Seanusarrilius
trenchtownbaboon
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
32 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 2 Empty Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Oh yes, Alex is back, with more terrible predictions and more rambling about Boxing!! Strap yourselves in for a bumpy ride!

I mean I can't help but look forward to this weekends action, but the amount of fights I'm gonna have to put reviews up for is insane... However, the amount of fantastic fighters that we are able to watch this weekend is immense. We looked up to the Boxing Gods, and they answered.

Ok so let's get cracking:

Manny Pacquiao Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez - Welterweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Let's start off with the big one.

The fourth time these two meet up in a ring, and it feels like even more of a pick 'em than the other 3. Lest we not forget Marquez was a massive underdog in all of the other 3 fights, now more and more people are siding with JMM to finally get his victory over Manny, or get jobbed on the cards as many felt in the most recent meeting between these two.

Naturally I think it will be cagey, at no point in the last meeting did it look as though either man was thinking KO, seemingly more focused on nicking rounds with small flurries quick singles to take the round on the cards. This time I feel Manny may be feeling a different approach, to try and seriously excercise his speed on JMM and burst through with combinations, but with the fight lulling into them both posturing and posing at each other again.

I get this feeling that Manny and his team feel as though they have to either win incredibly decisively to get the win, or to knoc Marquez out as they prhaps feel that they won't get lucky on the cards for the 3rd time in a row if the fight is razor close.

My Fight Prediction: Pacquiao to take a decision, NOT controversially either. A fair decision on a very diffficult fight, but one that Manny finally, really puts his mark on proceedings. I just think Team Manny will be completely on the ball for this one and really get Manny to fire on alll cylinders for this fight.

Alex's Special Fight Review: Needless to say, a 5 Star Fight.

Yuriorkis Gamboa Vs. Michael Farenas - Super Featherweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Y'all must have forgot! Jeez, to be honest Yuriorkis, we almost did! Yes you're a great talent, but bloody get in the ring and show us! Well I guess tonight he'll be doing that at least, against Michael Farenas, a tough fully fledged Super Featherweight that has never been stopped, though not in the same skill league as Gamboa. (How many are?)

Let's be honest, Gamboa is a pretty special fighter and given the fact that he hasn't fought for a year they won't be putting him against a real world beater, and they haven't. Farenas hasn't been in with anywhere near the kind of quality that Gamboa except for his last fight, which was called a Technical Draw after 3 against the unbeaten Japanese Champion Uchiyama. So I can't really class that as an "Experience".

Compared to Gamboa almost playing with the likes of Salido and Solis. Oh, but Farenas may win because his nickname is Hammer Fistl which is just too good... But no I actually expect the little Flllipino to get his arris handed to him.

My Fight Prediction: Gamboa KO, too fast and just simply too good for Farenas, but he may want to get a few rounds under his belt before that.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 and a 1/2 Star Fight.

James Degale Vs. Fulgencio Zuniga - Super Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA WealthTV

For the AMAZINGLY prestigious WBC Silver Belt!!

James Degale's career finally looks to be heading in the right career, boxing regularly again, there being talk of up to six fights next year, also. He already has a date lined up on January 26th, against Mouhamed Ndiaye for the European Title, but first he has to get past the experienced Zuniga. However, I do get a feeling that Zuniga is perhaps a fair bit past his best now. Beaten by a shootout by Oosthuizen in his last fight, he looked as though he had lost a fair bit. Nevertheless he is a very tough Colombian who has only lost to the best, like Pavlik, Bute and Cloud (Bear in mind he's not really a Light Heavyweight).

Zuniga brings plenty of experience to the table and has boxed at far higher levels than Degale and so brings plenty of World Title experience to the table, however I think the fresher Degale should have enough to keep him off. Degale looked a little unsure of himself at times, unsure of which way to box, and being backed up to the ropes too easily and allowing his work rate to drop losing him rounds. I would say he needs to put in a better performance than he did last time out, otherwise this could have a suprising end to it.

My Fight Prediction: Degale UD, too slick and fresh for Zuniga who is a bit past it now and won't quite have the engine or drive to take Degale at this stage of his career.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 5 Star Fight.

Kid Galahad Vs. Ivan Morote - Super Featherweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

Kid Galahad against another journeyman, still learning his trade has looked good so far, so expect him to look good in this one.

My Fight Prediction: Galahad UD, just too good for the journeyman.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 2 Star Fight

Chris Eubank Jr. Vs. Oleg Fedotovs - Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

You can forgive Eubank Jr. for taking on complete dross this week, due to the fact that the man actually fought last weel also and went 8 rounds, in a competetive fight (Never mind what the judges scorecards said) against Bradley Pryce. The same questions will arise is he as good as his father, his lack of power, the fact that he's not inside the weight limit for any fight, although he hasn't fought for a title so it doesn't matter as much.

My Fight Prediction: Chris Eubank to take a stoppage win in this one, due to his opponent being useless.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 1 star fight.

Brian Magee Vs. Mikkel Kessler - Super Middleweight Division - Somewhere In Denmark - Sky Sports, Danish PPV

Magee is a really tough man, but Kessler is just tougher. I think Kessler has lost a slght bit of speed and his defences aren't quite as tight as they once were, but should just have too much in the tank for Magee. Magee, as always will give his absolute all, but Kessler's subtleties and extra weaponry will see him off.

My Fight Prediction: Kessler KO, Mikkel to take him out late, possibly with body punches.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 4 Star Fight.

Darren Barker Vs Kerry Hope - Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

Kerry was billed as "No Hope" against Proska not too long ago, but oh my, did he upset the apple cart. Do I expect him to do it again? Nah...

Barker has had a fair amount of time out though, putting up he kind of spirited performance he did against Sergio Martinez I can't really see him losing this one.

My Fight Prediction: Barker UD, just too good a boxing brain for Kerry Hope.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Erick Ochieng Vs Max Maxwell - Light Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

For the English Title, I really like Max Maxwell, having an incredibly cool name and a really good guy personality. A little bit under rated in my view I reckon he can pull of the upset. Max will look to put as much pressure on Ochieng as possible and will make it as physical as he can. Should be a real fun one.

My Fight Prediction: Maxwell to take the decision in an upset. Come on Maxy!

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight.

Carson Jones Vs Dean Byrne - Welterweight - London - Sky Sports

Well to be honest I'm still a bit upset about Lee Purdy not fighting Jones, because that would have been a real great clash. Dean Byrne, the "Irish Lightning" steps in. In truth I haven't seen Byrne much, only a couple of times, but I didn't rate him all too highly, so I expect Jones' workrate and physical strength to be too much for Byrne and for him to be stopped mid rounds. Should still be a very watchable fight while it lasts.

My Fight Prediction: Jones KO Round 7, just too much power and strength for Byrne to deal with.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Khalid Yafai Vs. Jorge Serez - Bantamweight - London - Sky Sports

Another fight for Kal, fighting so often which is great to see. Expect him to look sharp and devastating as always.

My Fight Prediction: Don't know a thing about his opponent, but Kal by KO.

Alex's Special fight Review: A 2 Star Fight.

Jeez, so there you have it, may have missed a few out htis week due to there being sooooo many.

Anywho use this thread as a live fight discussion thread.

Also, thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 2 Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by djlovesyou Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:10 pm

Think Eubank JR has been matched pretty tough - until today.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 2 Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

Soft stoppage in the eubank fight, eubank caught him and started attacking but the guy was throwing a couple back

Eubank in 2

The Jones fight was a draw although I didn't see it

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:16 pm

If I'm not mistaken Eubanks not actually scored a knockdown yet? He's talented but he's living proof that being big and ripped in the upper body doesn't automatically make you a hard puncher- university rugby boys who think they fancy their chances in the ring take note.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:16 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Think Eubank JR has been matched pretty tough - until today.

True but he fought last week so if he fights on a weekly basis you can forgive him the lesser quality. Someone in his camp has realised that he needs experience badly so has got him fighting quite regularly.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:17 pm

Dreadful performance from the Eubank ref.

I can't help but like Al Bernstein, even if he is a bit 'on message' sometimes.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm

Thoughts on Degale's sis? Thumbs up from me.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:22 pm

GW40 wrote:Thoughts on Degale's sis? Thumbs up from me.
thumbsup

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm

Thumbs up amongst other things

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm

Degale started very sharply,

He is standing against the ropes more in round 2 though which is worrying

He doesn't throw the jab with anything on it so its easier to walk trough his punches

Last edited by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs on Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:42 pm

Hello? Ref?!!

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm

Degale still getting caught on the ropes a bit too much for me although he's been a lot better than his last fight and is catching Zuniga when he bores in

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm

Yeah i dont know why he does that - its not like he cant move off if wants to.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

Anyone think Degales inside work could trouble a guy like Froch?

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

Commentator thinks Zuniga is more hurt by Degale's punches than he is. Hes a bit ungainly at the best of times which looks like hes wobbling when he isnt.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:55 pm

Ref stops Zuniga attacking late for no reason, he had Degale on the ropes

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:56 pm

TechInept wrote:Anyone think Degales inside work could trouble a guy like Froch?

Yes. but if he moves around too - if he stays at the ropes he gets mullered.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Degale still getting caught on the ropes a bit too much for me although he's been a lot better than his last fight and is catching Zuniga when he bores in

I think he just wants to be there, he's one of the best in the division at fighting on the ropes, he beats you up as you think your unloading the power punches.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 10:59 pm

Wise words from Fury. Most out of character.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:01 pm

Degale is making hard work of this again despite pitching a shut out

Sits on the ropes, fights on the inside despite being better when moving. He has good handspeed but no real power so is made for the outside

He does do it on the inside as he is good at throwing shots when there, but he gets hit more in the pocket and doenst have the power or stamina to do that at world level

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:04 pm

Tyson Fury is an absolute creature isn't he. "he's getting more tireder"

Just wow, nice hat though!

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Degale is making hard work of this again despite pitching a shut out

Sits on the ropes, fights on the inside despite being better when moving. He has good handspeed but no real power so is made for the outside

He does do it on the inside as he is good at throwing shots when there, but he gets hit more in the pocket and doenst have the power or stamina to do that at world level

Agreed. This may work now but he needs to make some changes if he's going to compete at the top table. He covers up well when on the ropes but against the best he'd be punished.

Again with the 'he's hurt' when he isnt.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm

His family were fantastic embarrassing him with childhood stories...

But he should have got this lad out of here earlier. He's caught Zuniga a number of times but seems to have stood off and admired his work. I don't know whether he is just scared of getting caught or if he seems to just enjoy admiring his own superior talent but, if he had committed himself earlier, he would have got Zuniga out 4 rounds ago.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:09 pm

Talks of a Abraham fight, if he rests on the ropes with a puncher like Abraham who is as tough as nails he'll be in trouble

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm

Degale just seems happy to coast and look good. There were a few rounds earlier in the fight when he had Zuniga going and I felt if he had just kept the pressure up the ref would have had to step in. Zuniga is just slow and it would be a lucky punch that would win it for him

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:22 pm

BTW, props to eubank jr for taking two fights in the space of a week.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:24 pm

Kessler within 7. Anyone give Magee a chance other than Nelson?

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:24 pm

Anothe hard earned 12 round decision and while he looked better than his last fight he tested on the ropes too much and really could have pushed more for the knockout as he had him rocking in the first few rounds

Back out again in January, hopefully he isn't fatigued as it ended up being a pretty tough fight tonight although I doubt it wil affect him too much, but I feel that Abraham would knock him out easily enough if they were to fight

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm

GW40 wrote:Kessler within 7. Anyone give Magee a chance other than Nelson?

Give him a punchers chance as he can bang. Wouldn't be the biggest shock if he pulls this off though.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:31 pm

Degale has disappointed me tonight. He could have put out a clear statement KOing this lad tonight. He was dancing rings round him and beating him to the punch all night so why he let it go the 12 rounds I don't know. He is talented but I am starting to doubt if he really has the right attitude.

Magee has a punchers chance. Its always good to see a good pro get his just desserts with a decent pay day.

If Kessler has aged it could be a great fight.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:32 pm

He only wins if Kessler has aged all of a sudden. I can't give him a punchers chance against Kessler of all people.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

R1: 10-9 Kessler

Close round though, Magee looks pretty sharp

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm

Bang

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:38 pm

Magee down with a body shot, Kessler was looking for that early

Magee is fighting on but at 37 Magee can't take these body shots

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

R1: 10-9 Kessler
R2: 10-7 Kessler

Not going to last long if Magee keeps walking on to these punches.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

Surely this is over? You could blow on his belly and he'd go down.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:40 pm

I don't see this lasting much longer

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

Magee's guard is too high and too wide. He won't last.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

I was right was only another 15 seconds Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

All over red rover, Magee continually nailed to the body.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

Good advice from Froch then. Hit the body and it's all over.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

I don't want to curse it but despite the horrid start to 2012 - the boxing seems to be picking up now. Am enjoying it more and there are rivalries right from the domestic to the pros.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:42 pm

It's over, Kessler wins easily

Galahad got a good stoppage win on the Ch5 card

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:43 pm

So what now for Kessler?

Ward/Froch?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:43 pm

Couldn't miss with the right to the body.

Bring on a Froch rematch in the UK

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm

Magee was niave. Hurt to the body and still coming forward with his hands held very high. He was covering his whole face and not just his chin. He may as well have stood there hands down and asked Kessler to punch him in the stomach as hard as he could for all the good his defence and tactics did him.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by GW40 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:46 pm

Selling the fight minutes = good decision.

Definitely Froch/Kessler rematch. Reckon Kessler will push hard for Denmark.

GW40

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:49 pm

One more round and my kids could have eaten next week, damn it.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

Story of Brian's life, unfortunately. Too good for the tier 2 fighters; just lacking in the variety and power of shot to trouble the very best. It was asking a lot, at 37, to beat an operator of Kessler's class. He could doubtless continue to figure on the fringes of the top ten in the division, but that must be it for him at genuine world title level. A really good career, though, and he's been an ornament to the game.

I do think that Magee could still trouble DeGale more than a little, however. As was pointed out earlier, and I seem to have said the same thing after most of his last five fights, DeGale will insist on posing for the cameras for long stretches of his fights. He's racking up the rounds, no question, gaining the experience, but is he really learning the right lessons?

DeGale has talent to burn, but I question whether he has the all-important stuff between the ears. If he fights this way against the division's head men, he will be savaged - even someone of Magee's slightly lesser calibre would give him all that he can handle, I would guess.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:53 pm

djlovesyou wrote:One more round and my kids could have eaten next week, damn it.

hahaha

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sun 09 Dec 2012, 12:04 am

Captain, I agree on both accounts. Ironically, a combination of Magee and Degale's talents would make a very good fighter.

Degale has talent to burn and seems intent on squandering it. I'm not sure he will ever be savaged. His reflexes and hand speed are too good but he will loose if he carries on believing his undeniable talent will always carry him through. He will get savaged if he believes he can fight off the ropes for significant periods of fights against better opposition as he isn't as good as he thinks. However, I think against better opposition he will realise that quickly and stop playing off the ropes.

Further, he will lose his marketability if he doesn't start converting his obvious superiority into KOs.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next