The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

+28
Sugar Floyd Louis
owen10ozzy
All Time Great
John Bloody Wayne
JabMachineMK2
ONETWOFOREVER
bellchees
88Chris05
tunes666
captain carrantuohil
Fernando
TheMackemMawler
Happytravelling
BallchinianMuffwig
tomfinneywalksonwater
djlovesyou
sweet_pea
GW40
coxy0001
TechInept
6oldenbhoy
Seanusarrilius
trenchtownbaboon
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
AlexHuckerby
32 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 3 Empty Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Oh yes, Alex is back, with more terrible predictions and more rambling about Boxing!! Strap yourselves in for a bumpy ride!

I mean I can't help but look forward to this weekends action, but the amount of fights I'm gonna have to put reviews up for is insane... However, the amount of fantastic fighters that we are able to watch this weekend is immense. We looked up to the Boxing Gods, and they answered.

Ok so let's get cracking:

Manny Pacquiao Vs. Juan Manuel Marquez - Welterweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Let's start off with the big one.

The fourth time these two meet up in a ring, and it feels like even more of a pick 'em than the other 3. Lest we not forget Marquez was a massive underdog in all of the other 3 fights, now more and more people are siding with JMM to finally get his victory over Manny, or get jobbed on the cards as many felt in the most recent meeting between these two.

Naturally I think it will be cagey, at no point in the last meeting did it look as though either man was thinking KO, seemingly more focused on nicking rounds with small flurries quick singles to take the round on the cards. This time I feel Manny may be feeling a different approach, to try and seriously excercise his speed on JMM and burst through with combinations, but with the fight lulling into them both posturing and posing at each other again.

I get this feeling that Manny and his team feel as though they have to either win incredibly decisively to get the win, or to knoc Marquez out as they prhaps feel that they won't get lucky on the cards for the 3rd time in a row if the fight is razor close.

My Fight Prediction: Pacquiao to take a decision, NOT controversially either. A fair decision on a very diffficult fight, but one that Manny finally, really puts his mark on proceedings. I just think Team Manny will be completely on the ball for this one and really get Manny to fire on alll cylinders for this fight.

Alex's Special Fight Review: Needless to say, a 5 Star Fight.

Yuriorkis Gamboa Vs. Michael Farenas - Super Featherweight - Las Vegas - HBO PPV, Primetime

Y'all must have forgot! Jeez, to be honest Yuriorkis, we almost did! Yes you're a great talent, but bloody get in the ring and show us! Well I guess tonight he'll be doing that at least, against Michael Farenas, a tough fully fledged Super Featherweight that has never been stopped, though not in the same skill league as Gamboa. (How many are?)

Let's be honest, Gamboa is a pretty special fighter and given the fact that he hasn't fought for a year they won't be putting him against a real world beater, and they haven't. Farenas hasn't been in with anywhere near the kind of quality that Gamboa except for his last fight, which was called a Technical Draw after 3 against the unbeaten Japanese Champion Uchiyama. So I can't really class that as an "Experience".

Compared to Gamboa almost playing with the likes of Salido and Solis. Oh, but Farenas may win because his nickname is Hammer Fistl which is just too good... But no I actually expect the little Flllipino to get his arris handed to him.

My Fight Prediction: Gamboa KO, too fast and just simply too good for Farenas, but he may want to get a few rounds under his belt before that.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 and a 1/2 Star Fight.

James Degale Vs. Fulgencio Zuniga - Super Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA WealthTV

For the AMAZINGLY prestigious WBC Silver Belt!!

James Degale's career finally looks to be heading in the right career, boxing regularly again, there being talk of up to six fights next year, also. He already has a date lined up on January 26th, against Mouhamed Ndiaye for the European Title, but first he has to get past the experienced Zuniga. However, I do get a feeling that Zuniga is perhaps a fair bit past his best now. Beaten by a shootout by Oosthuizen in his last fight, he looked as though he had lost a fair bit. Nevertheless he is a very tough Colombian who has only lost to the best, like Pavlik, Bute and Cloud (Bear in mind he's not really a Light Heavyweight).

Zuniga brings plenty of experience to the table and has boxed at far higher levels than Degale and so brings plenty of World Title experience to the table, however I think the fresher Degale should have enough to keep him off. Degale looked a little unsure of himself at times, unsure of which way to box, and being backed up to the ropes too easily and allowing his work rate to drop losing him rounds. I would say he needs to put in a better performance than he did last time out, otherwise this could have a suprising end to it.

My Fight Prediction: Degale UD, too slick and fresh for Zuniga who is a bit past it now and won't quite have the engine or drive to take Degale at this stage of his career.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 5 Star Fight.

Kid Galahad Vs. Ivan Morote - Super Featherweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

Kid Galahad against another journeyman, still learning his trade has looked good so far, so expect him to look good in this one.

My Fight Prediction: Galahad UD, just too good for the journeyman.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 2 Star Fight

Chris Eubank Jr. Vs. Oleg Fedotovs - Middleweight - Hull - Channel 5, USA Wealth TV

You can forgive Eubank Jr. for taking on complete dross this week, due to the fact that the man actually fought last weel also and went 8 rounds, in a competetive fight (Never mind what the judges scorecards said) against Bradley Pryce. The same questions will arise is he as good as his father, his lack of power, the fact that he's not inside the weight limit for any fight, although he hasn't fought for a title so it doesn't matter as much.

My Fight Prediction: Chris Eubank to take a stoppage win in this one, due to his opponent being useless.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 1 star fight.

Brian Magee Vs. Mikkel Kessler - Super Middleweight Division - Somewhere In Denmark - Sky Sports, Danish PPV

Magee is a really tough man, but Kessler is just tougher. I think Kessler has lost a slght bit of speed and his defences aren't quite as tight as they once were, but should just have too much in the tank for Magee. Magee, as always will give his absolute all, but Kessler's subtleties and extra weaponry will see him off.

My Fight Prediction: Kessler KO, Mikkel to take him out late, possibly with body punches.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 4 Star Fight.

Darren Barker Vs Kerry Hope - Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

Kerry was billed as "No Hope" against Proska not too long ago, but oh my, did he upset the apple cart. Do I expect him to do it again? Nah...

Barker has had a fair amount of time out though, putting up he kind of spirited performance he did against Sergio Martinez I can't really see him losing this one.

My Fight Prediction: Barker UD, just too good a boxing brain for Kerry Hope.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Erick Ochieng Vs Max Maxwell - Light Middleweight - London - Sky Sports

For the English Title, I really like Max Maxwell, having an incredibly cool name and a really good guy personality. A little bit under rated in my view I reckon he can pull of the upset. Max will look to put as much pressure on Ochieng as possible and will make it as physical as he can. Should be a real fun one.

My Fight Prediction: Maxwell to take the decision in an upset. Come on Maxy!

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight.

Carson Jones Vs Dean Byrne - Welterweight - London - Sky Sports

Well to be honest I'm still a bit upset about Lee Purdy not fighting Jones, because that would have been a real great clash. Dean Byrne, the "Irish Lightning" steps in. In truth I haven't seen Byrne much, only a couple of times, but I didn't rate him all too highly, so I expect Jones' workrate and physical strength to be too much for Byrne and for him to be stopped mid rounds. Should still be a very watchable fight while it lasts.

My Fight Prediction: Jones KO Round 7, just too much power and strength for Byrne to deal with.

Alex's Special Fight Review: A 3 Star Fight

Khalid Yafai Vs. Jorge Serez - Bantamweight - London - Sky Sports

Another fight for Kal, fighting so often which is great to see. Expect him to look sharp and devastating as always.

My Fight Prediction: Don't know a thing about his opponent, but Kal by KO.

Alex's Special fight Review: A 2 Star Fight.

Jeez, so there you have it, may have missed a few out htis week due to there being sooooo many.

Anywho use this thread as a live fight discussion thread.

Also, thoughts?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 3 Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Story of Brian's life, unfortunately. Too good for the tier 2 fighters; just lacking in the variety and power of shot to trouble the very best. It was asking a lot, at 37, to beat an operator of Kessler's class. He could doubtless continue to figure on the fringes of the top ten in the division, but that must be it for him at genuine world title level. A really good career, though, and he's been an ornament to the game.

I do think that Magee could still trouble DeGale more than a little, however. As was pointed out earlier, and I seem to have said the same thing after most of his last five fights, DeGale will insist on posing for the cameras for long stretches of his fights. He's racking up the rounds, no question, gaining the experience, but is he really learning the right lessons?

DeGale has talent to burn, but I question whether he has the all-important stuff between the ears. If he fights this way against the division's head men, he will be savaged - even someone of Magee's slightly lesser calibre would give him all that he can handle, I would guess.

Excellently put, Captain. My gripe with DeGale is that he makes fights harder than they should be. I've said it for quite a while but his lack of a boxing brain really holds him back. For all the attributes he possesses, this is the major flaw in his arsenal. He trades when he can move, he drops his hands when there is on reason to do so. Stupid flaws he should have dropped long ago.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Alex s Special - Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December - Page 3 Empty Re: Alex's Special Fight Reviewz - Weekends Action - 8th December

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:09 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Story of Brian's life, unfortunately. Too good for the tier 2 fighters; just lacking in the variety and power of shot to trouble the very best. It was asking a lot, at 37, to beat an operator of Kessler's class. He could doubtless continue to figure on the fringes of the top ten in the division, but that must be it for him at genuine world title level. A really good career, though, and he's been an ornament to the game.

I do think that Magee could still trouble DeGale more than a little, however. As was pointed out earlier, and I seem to have said the same thing after most of his last five fights, DeGale will insist on posing for the cameras for long stretches of his fights. He's racking up the rounds, no question, gaining the experience, but is he really learning the right lessons?

DeGale has talent to burn, but I question whether he has the all-important stuff between the ears. If he fights this way against the division's head men, he will be savaged - even someone of Magee's slightly lesser calibre would give him all that he can handle, I would guess.

I don't know for certain but it seems to me that against a marginally better opponent he performed much better than last time and chose to go to the ropes. He might have looked at Khan and seen how much the lack of any inside fighting experience has cost Khan and is working where he himself is weak (having first established he could fight his natural game comfortably).

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:16 am

It's possible, Shah, but I do find the experience of watching him a bit frustrating. As 6oldenbhoy and HT have both said, there is this tendency to make life needlessly difficult for himself, regardless of the standard of opposition.

Now, it may be that come the crunch against a properly top-shelf fighter, DeGale will be focused throughout and leave all the amateur habits behind. However, the evidence of my own eyes at the moment suggests to me that this is doubtful. It isn't a lack of talent, but a lack of a calculating brain that means that every victory that he scores seems to have a missing link in it. Someone like Kessler or Froch would give DeGale absolutely no respite or quarter if he were to coast or mess about on the ropes and up to now, DeGale has done at least one of those things in virtually every fight.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:21 am

I think it was a very solid performance from Degale, would have been nice to get the stoppage but this guy looked like he could really take a punch and has got power so Degale did have to keep his defense in check.

He did go to the Ropes but he did not get hit there so it was not as if he was their getting battered... its like he goes their for a rest which is fine, but you get the feeling he tries to take a rest too much rather than keep letting his hands go.

I think he gets worried he might gas in a fight so he focuses too much on spacing him self out..

That being said he could have knocked the guy out in 3nd three if the Reff did not stop it 25 seconds too early.. as he had the guy hurt.

I think it does show he does have power there, not a one punch knock out but allot of strength there.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:27 am

I think that he has all the toys, tunes. It's not his basic ability that I question. I'm not even sure that DeGale worries about stamina issues. Plain and simple, I think that his mind goes walkabout. It's an awfully dangerous sport in which to be scatterbrained.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:37 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:I think that he has all the toys, tunes. It's not his basic ability that I question. I'm not even sure that DeGale worries about stamina issues. Plain and simple, I think that his mind goes walkabout. It's an awfully dangerous sport in which to be scatterbrained.

I agree its something, as he looks like he could really blow people away and then stops and just goes all cautious.. then he will throw another two good rounds in and it almost teases you.. It would be interesting to see him against a top fighter just to see if that in its self makes a difference.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am

It's a dangerous game laying on the ropes to catch of breath, especially as he seems to take a rest very often

He doesn't get caught that cleanly on the head but he gets tagged quite a bit to the body which won't help his stamina. He throws quick flurries to win rounds but its a lot of work with little reward as his flurries don't usually put any lasting damage on his opponents. His last 3 fights (excluding the guy he knocked out Saldivia I think he was called) he has put a lot of work by throwing punches but hasn't really slowed them down so that he can take rests in the latter rounds

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 am

To be fair I thought he looked fantastic, even when on ropes.

Kessler had far too much for Brian so hopefully a froch match next year.

Barker was very solid vs hope and good to see him back.

looking forward to Gamboa.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:02 am

Gamboa fight should be very interesting, the guy he's fighting is pretty big at the weight, has fairly heavy hands and a good chin

Marquez-Pacquiao is still hard for me to call but I keep thinking that Marquez can't hurt Manny so if they both go looking for the KO then Manny can outgun Marquez who is 39 after all

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:50 am

Omg... Worst fight ever this Gesta guy is terrible and Vasquez is a stinker.... Put 2 and 2 together....

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:52 am

The HBO Commentary are taking the urine out of the fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:00 am

how many more stinkin' undercard bouts till Gamboa??

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 am

50 cent... picard

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 am

Thank God Gamoboa is coming on now. This undercard has been woeful

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 am

Here we go . ..some decent action finally.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:25 am

Gambia is so fast, takes a lot of risks but his reflexes mean he doenst pay for them

Gamboa looks a little vulnerable but has plenty of power himself to end it in a second

Farenas is giving a good account of himself and looks to have a good chin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 am

A bit wayward from Gamboa, this. Had a Featherweight showdown been made between him and Donaire in the past twelve months I'd always have said that he'd have just been too big for Nonito (he certainly is now at any rate!), but if he'd boxed like this then Donaire and his left would have had a field day.

Flashes of brilliance but clear signs of vulnerability here, too. Natural, I suppose, given the layoff.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:36 am

Gamboa is going through the motions a bit now. He hasn't really chosen how to fight this going forward or backwards

Gamboa starts quick and knocks faranas down as I said that

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 am

Buzzed again at the end of that round, though.

As you say WHU, his mind has seemed to wander a couple of times tonight. I've heard rumours that Gamboa's weight has been ballooning up during his layoff and that some sources close to him are worried about his motivation these days. Hope it's not true.

Still, Farenas is better than I thought, I have to say.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:43 am

love Gamboa

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 am

Wouldn't be strange to assume that a Cuban loses motivation, happens enough

Fares is as I expected, tough, strong, heavy handed and a warrior

Gamboa always looks like he can step it up and stop farenas but doesnt want to sustain attacks

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:46 am

What a great fight it's turning in to. Gamboa looks like he's about to finish things, walks on to a counter left and down he goes! Having to hold, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:48 am

Wow this is dramatic, Gamboa looks like he wa savour to stop him ten gets caught and caught hard and they continue to land good shots untill the end of the round

Gamboa needs to steady the ship a but as he was word edit wear at the end if the round. Needs to keep his hands up

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:51 am

I tell you what, though. That left would have knocked out plenty of Super-Feathers. He's got some grit and heart to go with that sublime talent.

He's getting tagged in the tenth yet again.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 am

Possible FOTY candidate me thinks!!

Thought fight was about get stopped then BAM! Fab left hand to the face.

Cracking fight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 am

Farenas has power on his record so hats off to Gamboa who has came back well

Don't know too many fighters who could have taken the shots Gamboa has landed

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:02 am

That left hook would have ended many Superfeathers, but Gamboa has rehydrated up to be a LMW...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:03 am

Don't even know how gamboa got up from that left cross. Would have knocked out a horse!

Don't agree with scorecards either, yes Gamboa won, but think the scorecards have flattered him there.

Was closer than that.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 am

is he large enough to mix it with Broner you reckon?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:05 am

Great fight and despite Farenas effort it was a clear Gamboa win and he can look forward to staying active which was a problem tonight imo even more-so for a Cuban as they have a tendency to live less than healthy lives outside the ring

His vulnerability and ability to end a fight make him such a good fighter to watch

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 am

National bloody anthems...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 am

Gamboa too easy to hit and too small for Broner who would have a field day.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:09 am

I don't even care who wins the main event as long as it's clear and honest this time

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 am

Why can't Woodhall be as good a pundit as this when there's a British fighter involved?

Looking forward to switching the 'commentary' from Benny and Wayne for the main event.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 am

Got a feeling that pacquiao might get a knockout a little earlier than I expected about round 8 , and I feel he might get an early knock down like the first 2 fights

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 am

10-10 for me.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:31 am

Ditto for me, MM.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 am

Yea I agree, Marquez countered a couple times whereas pacquiao threw more without landing too much

10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 am

Marquez had a better last 30 secs but that was a Pacquiao round though

20-19 Pacquiao

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:36 am

2 very close rounds, Manny has done slightly more in both for me.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 am

WWWWWOOOOOOOOO

HUGE RIGHT

PACQUIAO DOWN

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 am

Holy crap!!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 am

wowwww absolute epic.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 am

Unbelievable, PAC down hard

10-8 Marquez round

29-28 Marquez

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:39 am

WOW, he dropped like a sack of spuds. Massive right hand

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 am

Got JMM up by 1

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:43 am

Very close round the 4th

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:44 am

These rounds are so hard to score, Marquez landed the bes third in the last 10 seconds whereas Pac started well

10-9 Marquez

39-37 Marquez

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 am

Big round for Manny. Had Marquez going there.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:47 am

wow this fight has been immense so far. Jesus.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next