The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOTY to happen again.

+5
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
oxring
J.Benson II
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
9 posters

Go down

FOTY to happen again. Empty FOTY to happen again.

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm

It was a great fight last week between Andre Berto v Victor Ortiz, so this is great news, the rematch looks likely to happen.

How do you see it going?

Will Ortiz just want it too much again or will Berto be able to let his boxing skills show.

For me Ortiz takes it again, impressed by Ortiz his attitude as well as his boxing.

http://www.boxingscene.com/ortiz-vs-berto-rematch-dibella-expects-it-happen--38441

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

FOTY to happen again. Empty Re: FOTY to happen again.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

Hope it does but like Di Bella said. I'm not sure it will right away. GBP will probably look to get Ortiz an easier defence against a name fighter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:43 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:Hope it does but like Di Bella said. I'm not sure it will right away. GBP will probably look to get Ortiz an easier defence against a name fighter.

I would pretty much agree with that. Ortiz one comfortably for me, Berto need to prove himself again, but it was a great fight and from a fans point of view it would be great if it did happen again.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:53 pm

Ortiz would win again.
This time by stoppage, possibly in the early rounds.
He looks a beast at WW.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm

I think Berto needs someone else anyway to get his confidence back; and Ortiz could be better served chasing down and defeating some of the "lesser" champions around at WW.

Nice article d4.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm

I would pick Ortiz to win a rematch he looked huge at 147lbs.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:58 pm

They will both have softish fights which would pave way for a rematch. I guess berto deserves one, he put up a valiant effort and is probably the front runner for fight of the year. He really had victor going in the 6th and I thought he was going to finish him off.

As a brit I would like to see brook vs berto and the winner has a shot at ortiz, but I doubt that very much.

Although I think berto will want to try and use his speed and power more and might work I can't see past ortiz winning rounds purely on aggression and workload.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 24 Apr 2011, 10:58 pm

I've heard rumours that Ortiz is going to be facing Selcuk Aydin and rumours that he could be fight Floyd so no ones really any clearer on who he could fight.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:03 pm

prettyboy1304 wrote:I would pick Ortiz to win a rematch he looked huge at 147lbs.

Although he was the bigger man than Berto, it was he tenacity and ferociousness that made the difference. Victor wanted it more, and when you can punch like that and keep up that pace and pressure you have always got a great chance.

His post fight interview gave a good insight into his character, he mentioned his faults and that he still has to listen to his trainers, it shows his willingness to learn, improve and not rest on his laurels.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm

I think Ortiz might fight Malignaggi. It's a pretty straight forward defence Malignaggi doesn't have the power to deter Ortiz from coming forward and Ortiz is just to big, strong and agressive for Malignaggi.
Malignaggi is also very good at selling fights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:20 pm

Malignaggis such a character too the fight would see well.No doubt alot of showboating from the magic man during the fight.Mid to late stoppage victory for Ortiz.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm

I likeMalignaggi he's a tough guy as well. Couldn't see him beating Ortiz but don't think Ortiz would KO him. Ortiz to stop him late.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 25 Apr 2011, 12:31 am

I still don't get the hype re: Ortiz. How can one go from quitting against Maidana to scoring a draw against Peterson to now being touted as a world beater post Andre Berto??

For me it goes to show how overrated Berto was, and the fact that outside the two "you know who" the WW division is actually quite weak.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 25 Apr 2011, 12:34 am

True the WW division is quite weak and Ortiz will shine in it,Ortiz is the new hope of the division.He showed alot of courage and heart against Berto which he didn't against Maidana and Peterson.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 25 Apr 2011, 12:50 am

Liam_Main4 wrote:True the WW division is quite weak and Ortiz will shine in it,Ortiz is the new hope of the division.He showed alot of courage and heart against Berto which he didn't against Maidana and Peterson.

I'm not so sure. I can see the likes of Khan (who stopped Ortiz in the amateurs), Alexander and Bradley moving up soon enough. They are pretty much the future at WW.

Don't get me wrong though Berto vs. Ortiz was a great fight, just feel Berto had been overrated by many despite never really being in a high quality match up.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 25 Apr 2011, 1:09 am

All Time Great wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:True the WW division is quite weak and Ortiz will shine in it,Ortiz is the new hope of the division.He showed alot of courage and heart against Berto which he didn't against Maidana and Peterson.

I'm not so sure. I can see the likes of Khan (who stopped Ortiz in the amateurs), Alexander and Bradley moving up soon enough. They are pretty much the future at WW.

Don't get me wrong though Berto vs. Ortiz was a great fight, just feel Berto had been overrated by many despite never really being in a high quality match up.

I can't see him beating Bradley or Khan although Khan isn't good at fighting on the inside and if Ortiz could make it that sort of fight he would win. Alexander would be an interesting fight he was very lucky against Kotelnik and looked poor against Bradley. I would pick Ortiz to beat him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Apr 2011, 1:15 am

This reminds me of Angus Deayton trying to avoid mentioning his sex scandal on HIGNFY.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011, 1:21 am

andygf wrote:This reminds me of Angus Deayton trying to avoid mentioning his sex scandal on HIGNFY.

censored

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:26 am

All Time Great wrote:I still don't get the hype re: Ortiz. How can one go from quitting against Maidana to scoring a draw against Peterson to now being touted as a world beater post Andre Berto??

For me it goes to show how overrated Berto was, and the fact that outside the two "you know who" the WW division is actually quite weak.

This is the crux of it for me also. I was impressed by Ortiz at 147, his size, strength and his sheer desire not to lose. He's a southpaw and packs a punch. But prior to him beating berto the general consensus was that he was a bit of an also-ran at 140, having quit against maidana and drawn with Peterson, he'd gone well behind Alexander, Bradley and Khan in the pecking order. Meanwhile up at 147 the consensus was that berto was an unproven champ who won the vacant title in a soft touch match, struggled with collazo and urango and who's career best win was Quintana. So Ortiz moves up and the two guys fight, Ortiz puts in a gutsy but no accomplished display (he was down twice and looked easy to hit) and suddenly he's the best thing in boxing and - like anyone between 135 and 160 who has a decent win - they're suddenly mentioning him as a possible opponent for pacquiao or mayweather!

I think people just get carried away too easy, and one decent performance doesn't make Ortiz the man. Let's not forget his patchy career at 140, the fact that berto himself was widely accepted as unproven and the fact that although Ortiz won he still looked vulnerable. The one thing Ortiz has never shown is consistency at the top level. Let's see him get some defences under his belt, maybe see if he can face off against a 147 gatekeeper like Clottey, rematch berto, maybe face the winner of khan v Bradley if they move up a weight, and if he still looks good then let's all start sticking our tongues down the back of his trousers, but for me all this hysterical hyperbole is way too premature.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down