The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season!

+14
Forward Pass
twelve283
crazy_dave23
Take it to the house
GSC
Derbyblue
BamBam
Bull
Barney92
Pr4wn
TM Moot
sodhat
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season! - Page 2 Empty New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season!

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 0:23

First topic message reminder :

Hello fellow American Football friends! Me and Sodhat (well mainly Sodhat) have come up with an idea of running a Fantasy American Football type game during the off season as a little bit of fun. Here are the basic rules at the moment:

Rules

Teams will be selected in a draft. All teams are available, and the draft order will be randomised by Random.org. For the 'allocation draft' trading up or down will not be allowed (sorry!) because it may leave others feeling hard done by if they are pipped to their favoured choice via trade.

You start with the current roster of your franchise as listed on Wikipedia. There will then be a 2 round draft allowing you to pick any player that is not currently selected in the fantasy league but is still active in the NFL (i.e. not Jerry Rice) and hopefully fill a couple of needs before we begin properly. Draft position will be based on team record as of week 17 of the 2012 season.

The maximum roster size will be 53 but there is no minimum roster size, it's down to you to ensure you have backups in all positions.

Transfers

Transfers are by trade of players only and are unlimited between GMs/coaches.

You can make trade offers to teams not in the league by use of the Foreign Transfers page. These offers will be assessed by a panel and a decision of acceptance or rejection will be issued at the end of each day. A maximum of 1 foreign offer may be made each day.

Foreign offers made must address a need of the team you're offering to, as well as being of reasonable value compared to the player you are trading for. Unrealistic trade offers such as JaMarcus Russell for Ben Roethlisberger will not be accepted.

All confirmed transfers must be stated on the confirmation page.

Cutting Players

Your roster is yours to manage and there is no minimum in terms of number of players (the max is 53). Where there are players you want to get rid of that you don't think you can trade, you can cut them on the "Free Agency" page.

Players that have been cut by other teams may be picked up by any other team for no cost.

When cutting or picking up free agents, it must be confirmed on the transfer confirmation page.

Games

You will need to submit a starting offensive formation (with or without players being named) on your team page by Thursday at 29:59pm. It can be any set up you wish, but it will be frozen at this point to allow your opponent to game plan for you.

Offenses must consist of QB, RB, 2x WR, TE, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, and one player in the "flex" position, being a TE, WR, RB, FB etc.

You will need to submit a starting defense once you have seen how your opponent intends to line up. This should be posted on the tactics page before 23:59 on Friday.

For special teams, you will need to specify a kicker, punter, and return man.

A short blurb should be provided on your game plan, explaining your offensive strategy, defensive strategy and any other key points. This does not have to be posted on your team page prior to submission of your final tactics (only your starting formation does).

Votes

Matches will then be voted on by other managers and a predicted score and reasoning provided.

Votes should be sent via PM to Olly for games in the SFC, and sodhat for games in the OFC. Results will be posted on Tuesday mornings, along with the voters' reasoning. Voters names will not be divulged. You are only required to vote on games in the conference that you are not a member of, never your own.

Voting is open from 00:00am on Saturdays to 23:59pm on Mondays. Where votes are not submitted and no valid excuse is given a 7 point penalty will be applied to the final score of the team of non-voters.

Results

Results are calculated by adding the total predicted points scored by a single team and dividing it by the votes received. It will likely result in the odd anomaly and some strange totals (that don't necessarily equate to touchdowns and field goals) but the results will stand as they are.

Injuries

Each week you will receive 1 injury to an offensive player who started the week prior, and the same for the defense. All injuries are random, but they will be to a starting player so depth is key. Players may only be injured once in a season, but that injury may come at any time in the regular or post-season (so have a good back up!).

Regular Season and Play-Offs

Each team will play every team within their conference over the course of the regular season, including divisional rivals. Conferences and divisions will be randomly drawn in the interest of fairness.

The winners of each division will be entered into the Play-Offs where they will be seeded in order of the best record. Where records are the same, the head to head matchup will be taken into account.

Additionally 2 wildcards will be issued to the two teams in the conference with the best records aside from the divisional winners. They will again be seeded in order of record, with head to head splitting them.

The Play-Offs will then see the 1 seed play the 4 seed, and the 2 seed play the 3 seed. The winner of each game will progress to their conference championship game, where they will play for the right to face the winner of the other conference in the v2 Super Bowl.

That is the basic premise we have come up with, it would obviously need more to it and fine tuning, but we would like to see if there is any interest in getting this thing going during the offseason! It wouldn't take up much time, and would keep the board going along with the draft as well!

If you're interested please state below and we can get a rough idea of how many people want to participate.

Participants:
Olly
Sodhat
CherriesFan
TM Moot
Pr4wn
Barney92
TheBrahamBull
BamBamWillis
GSC
Take it to the House
Crazy_Dave23
Forward Pass
Mikeygnfl
Derbyblue
Niner
GB1919
Leedscowboys

Last edited by Olly on Wed 19 Dec - 1:11; edited 11 times in total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season!

Post by sodhat Wed 12 Dec - 20:22

twelve283 wrote:
GSC wrote:Real teams that aren't taken unless theres going to be 32 members I assume

Grant Holt V2 wrote:Yep from the teams that are left over. Not certain on how many draft picks you will get, but you get to pick from the teams that aren't picked
Ah right cheers, seems quite obvious now but i'm a total noob.

Think that's my fault actually, even as I wrote it it didn't seem crystal clear what I meant! But Olly and GSC are correct.

Do you want to put your name down for a team twelve?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season! - Page 2 Empty Re: New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season!

Post by TM Moot Wed 12 Dec - 21:02

Whats the proposal for who gets which team?

First come first served?
Pick your team, random order?
Teams allocated randomly?

I also reckon its best to wait a little while. How about doing the draft during pro-bowl week and then running it between SB and NFL Draft? If its a success, we could always have a 2nd season between NFL Draft and pre-season games...

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 12 Dec - 22:18

I think allocated randomly and eliminate the best and worst poss.

Maybe stop people having their favourite teams to make it interesting
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 22:23

We were going to let people choose there teams, but if two people wanted the same team, the person who signed up first would have priority

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 22:26

TM Moot wrote:
I also reckon its best to wait a little while. How about doing the draft during pro-bowl week and then running it between SB and NFL Draft? If its a success, we could always have a 2nd season between NFL Draft and pre-season games...

I like this idea very much.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 12 Dec - 22:28

I dunno, people being unfamiliar with teams would lead to more player movement I think. If Cherries is the Seahawks the roster would never change haha
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 12 Dec - 22:30

Derbyblue wrote:I'm interested. Small thing if you're allowing us to chose whatever defensive scheme we want we should also be capable of choosing whatever offensive scheme we want.

In hindsight I think we may have to have a set offensive set up to ensure opponents know how they need to line up on defense.

If someone lines up with 3 WRs for example, it would be impossible for the opponent to guess that before game day. Which set up do you guys prefer as an offensive structure?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 12 Dec - 22:33

It's a good concept though I was considering doing something like this but I was going I over complicate it with things like contracts though lol
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 12 Dec - 22:47

TM Moot wrote:Whats the proposal for who gets which team?

First come first served?
Pick your team, random order?
Teams allocated randomly?

I think it should be a draft where you pick your team. The only sticking point is how we order it. Originally I said first come first served, but we could also randomise it and then have a draft.

I like the timescale you've put too, it gives plenty of time to sort rules and stuff out.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 23:01

We're gonna keep it as simple as possible to start out, then we can start introducing new things as we go along if we want to
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 23:05

QB, 2X RB, 2x WR, TE, LT, RT, RG, LG, C.

That's in the OP about offensive schemes but I wonder whether 2X TE's might be better than 2X RB's? (says the Patriots fan Whistle)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 12 Dec - 23:10

One problem I see is the set roster for each game

E.g the 2 rbs and 2 wrs

IMO you should have a 53 man roster but only be able to activate 40 each game day, so you choose your team for the game and the payer you pick will influence the game plan, like you could go 6 wrs but 2 rbs/fbs, meaning you will air it out, or load your team fully of offensive lineman and depth at rb meaning you will ground and pound, same with DEFENSE,, if you opponent is air it out you would include more depth at safety and corner, however if you play a ground and pound offensive you would go for more depth at d line and linebackers,
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 12 Dec - 23:17

The problem there is that it takes away the simplicity of it all, and you will be drawing up more game plans for opponents because you'll never know exactly how they will line up and it will be a lopsided game.

I guess you could cover all scenarios in tactics, but then would that take too much time for people? If it's welcomed then it's the way to go I guess.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 12 Dec - 23:24

I certainly won't have all week to plan for this during the season. Having a job gets in the way!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 23:27

^ That's why were keeping it simple to start off with. Just want it to be a bit of fun to keep us going during the long dark days of the off season Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 12 Dec - 23:29

It's just saying if your the packers u can play like the packers, just team specific, no game planning really, just the format makes run first teams more powerful
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 12 Dec - 23:32

Or have a Wr/Rb flex position
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 12 Dec - 23:35

How about we take away the 2nd RB and have a flex as you suggest then?

On the defense tactics it would simply need to address that if the oppo has another WR, then you have a slot corner, or if the oppo have a TE/RB you go with another LB.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 12 Dec - 23:36

Hmm will have to consider it Cherries. We got plenty of time to sort out all the rules and stuff, probably gonna use the timescale TM Moot suggested!

Still looking to get people involved, I'm sure MockingJay will be up for it also when he is on
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 13 Dec - 0:06

You could have it so we say a few days after we've got our teams what sort of lineup we'll be using, and then we stick to that for the season? So Pats would probably be 2x WR 2xTE 1x RB.

I notice my name is missing from the list...

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 0:11

Sorry Derby!!!

We will have to consider it Derby. Thats not a bad idea tbf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 13 Dec - 0:23

Derbyblue wrote:You could have it so we say a few days after we've got our teams what sort of lineup we'll be using, and then we stick to that for the season? So Pats would probably be 2x WR 2xTE 1x RB.

I notice my name is missing from the list...

Yeah, I like that idea. Then it's down to the opposition to plan a defensive game plan around it, but they'll know what they're facing.

There are injuries each week though, so depth in all positions will be important. It's only one guy on each side of the ball mind, so it's not insurmountable.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 13 Dec - 0:53

Who decides injuries? And do we just miss the person for 1 week or could it be longer? And if it's longer do we still lose more players next week?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 13 Dec - 0:56

I don't like the idea of being stuck to a lineup for the season personally. Would prefer more tactical flexibility to little if I'm being honest
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 13 Dec - 0:57

Injuries are randomly selected (using a list randomiser like random.org) and they will miss only one game.

One injury will be selected from each of the starting offense and defense from the week before, so it can be a max of a week at a time - but the same player can go down twice in a season, based on random luck!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 1:03

Maybe we could state what offence we will be using a couple of days before tactics need to be submitted? So a say a deadline of stating your starting offensive formation on the tuesday if tactics are due on the thursday/friday?

That way you have tactical flexibilty through the season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 13 Dec - 1:42

Olly wrote:Maybe we could state what offence we will be using a couple of days before tactics need to be submitted? So a say a deadline of stating your starting offensive formation on the tuesday if tactics are due on the thursday/friday?

That way you have tactical flexibilty through the season

More complex, but doable.

Perhaps have your line up on your team page as Derby said, and you can change throughout the season, but then on Thursday's before a game it can't be edited. If tactics are in on Fridays then the opponent can check the page and see what they need to defend against.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Thu 13 Dec - 2:04

Just thinking if we get the first season done before the draft when the actual draft starts in April we could coincide that , so we get our own college draft simutainius with the real one
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Thu 13 Dec - 2:08

Surely the issue with doing our own draft would be that the teams that don't have one of us running them would still need to pick up players.

Would players who are going to be free agents be in the draft thing with the players from other teams or will they stay on the team that they are currently with?

Do we get to pick our team or is it all going to be random?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Thu 13 Dec - 2:12

I'm up for it. Obviously would want niners but would like Vikes if they are already taken

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 2:13

We will get to pick our own teams Derby in a draft type thing. So we will randomise the names so they are in an order and then we will pick teams 1 by 1

With the other draft you can pick players from the teams that nobody has picked up (unless we get 32 players!!)

Probably will get 2/3 picks and the order will be decided depending on where your team finishes in real life. So if someone picked the Jags they would draft 1st 1st round and last 2nd round etc etc

I think thats gonna be the idea but not certain yet
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 13 Dec - 2:33

Derbyblue wrote:

Would players who are going to be free agents be in the draft thing with the players from other teams or will they stay on the team that they are currently with?

Teams will be chosen based on rosters as of week 17, so anyone on a roster at that stage will be on that team for the purposes of this game, whether they go on to be a free agent or not.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Thu 13 Dec - 2:41

for our draft i would suggest we don't do a Snake draft, which basically eliminates pretty much any advantage for going first...

might as well help out those teams which are a bit pooey New Fantasy League to (potentially) run during the off season! - Page 2 3602195817

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 2:44

Yeah good point TM Moot. Nothing is set in stone yet, just throwing ideas out there and seeing what will work best!

The drafts themselves will work like the one LeedsCowboys (i think) did when we all picked a team and picked like a mock nfl draft. I'll find the link to it when on laptop later
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 6:47

We are going to close entries to this on Monday, and then we will sort out the order for the draft of teams.

We aim to get that all done by Friday, then we will look at sorting divisions, conferences, fixtures, draft etc etc. We will also probably try and fit in a pre season game to iron out any rough edges and to give you all an idea of how it works.

Looking to start the season on Pro Bowl week ideally
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 13 Dec - 8:38

lets get this started! Very Happy

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 8:45

Bull patience!!!

We gotta let the regular season fizzle out, although I do realise this will be the thing that gets you away from the Bears not making the playoffs Whistle
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 13 Dec - 8:48

mad , i jsut want it to start dont want to wait that long lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 9:04

Well you're gonna have to wait. Once Week 17 is over it will probably all start, then the regular season will start Pro Bowl week.

No point in starting now anyways, with Christmas coming up and Soddy is going to the US for a bit so won't be about
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu 13 Dec - 9:06

I'm keen, count me in. I'm happy to pick from whoever's left as I don't imagine I'll get the Packers.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 9:09

GB1919 we are going to put everyone's name into a randomiser to get a draft order and then people will draft/pick what team they want. We decided this was the fairest way!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Thu 13 Dec - 9:11

Oh excellent, I have to admit I skimmed the later posts so thought it was still first come first served.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 9:11

Nah because otherwise me and Soddy would get top 2 picks and that would be a bit dodgy Laugh

Plus drafts are good fun!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 13 Dec - 9:20

would the teams be selected before Xmas so as in the end of next week?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 13 Dec - 9:22

Dunno yet Bull mate!

Gonna close entries for participants on Monday. Teams may be allocated but the rosters for the team have to be the ones that are correct as of Week 17, so I dunno whether we would wait or not
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 13 Dec - 12:52

sodhat wrote:How about we take away the 2nd RB and have a flex as you suggest then?
I agree with this for the offence 1x QB, 1x RB, 2x WR, 1x TE and then a flex (then whoever has the Jets could play Sanchez and Tebow).
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 13 Dec - 20:06

Is the Flex position where you can play ethier a TE , RB or WR?

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 13 Dec - 20:09

Bull you make Abramovitch look patient sometimes
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 13 Dec - 20:21

ive said i have limited knowledge GSC.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 13 Dec - 20:55

TheBrahmaBull wrote:Is the Flex position where you can play ethier a TE , RB or WR?

Yes

I don't think GSC was insinuating you should have known that, more that you've come on every day and told us to get started already!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next