The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India v England 4th Test, Nagpur

+32
trebellbobaggins
Dorothy_Mantooth
gboycottnut
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Biltong
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Mike Selig
Corporalhumblebucket
Carrotdude
teassoc
liverbnz
Afro
Good Golly I'm Olly
dummy_half
guildfordbat
Shelsey93
alfie
GSC
Fists of Fury
mystiroakey
Luke
eirebilly
Mad for Chelsea
invisiblecoolers
skyeman
Gerry SA
ShankyCricket
Duty281
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
VTR
msp83
36 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

India v England 4th Test, Nagpur Empty India v England 4th Test, Nagpur

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:10 pm

So we are reaching the last lap of the series with lots of things at stake.
England are 2-1 up, and this is a historic chance for Alastair Cook's side to make history by winning a series in India after 28 years. After a dreadful year where they lost 7 test matches and the well earned number one ranking, England seem to be getting firmly back on track.
Captain Cook is leading from the front, Kevin Pietersen and Matt Prior are backing him well with the bat and Nick Compton has been solid if not spectacular. Of late Jonathan Trott also found some form. James Anderson has been good, Monty Panesar and Graeme Swann comfortably outbowled their Indian spin counterparts.
There are injury concerns though Steven Finn, who bowled very well in the last match is almost ruled out. Stuart Broad won't be able to step in for him, as he's already ruled out. That leaves a straight choice between Tim Bresnan and Graeme Onions. Bresnan has struggled to match his ashes form since his elbow troubles, and was pretty poor at Ahmedabad in the first test. Onions didn't have a great time in the tour matches. I would personally go for Onions, who has more pace than Bresnan has and bowls a wicket to wicket line. But England might prefer Bresnan's experience and his previous record in the sub-continent. There are questions over Samit Patel's place as well. Patel hasn't really gone on to play a big innings so far, but he has got a few important starts. If Finn's ruled out, his 5th bowling option would be more handy for England.
As far as India go, its a test match at the crossroads for them. The team has lost 2 back to back home tests after 12 years. They are facing the prospect of a home series loss after 8 years. All these come on top of the disasters in England and Australia. The batting isn't firing, the spinners are being outbowled. The leader of the pace pack is send packing by the selectors. There are shrill calls for the captain's head.
Captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni expects his side to show some character in these circumstances. He expects Gautam Gambhir to convert one of those starts into a big one and he believes Sachin Tendulkar, as he has often done will deliver for his team and prove the speculators wrong. He things he can handle the criticism coming his way.
They are sure to go in with 2 changes as Zaheer Khan and Yuvraj Singh who played the previous matches are dropped. It could be Ajinkya Rahane's much anticipated test debut. He might bat 6 in place or else they can bat him at 5 and push Virat Kohli to 6. The other option is to pick Ravindra Jadeja who has been in the form of his life in the Ranji Trophy this season. Jadeja has already scored over 800 runs with 2 triple hundreds for Saurashtra and has picked 26 wickets with his left-arm spin. Playing Jadeja would mean they can play 3 spinners without losing the balance of the attack. The absence of Zaheer and the unavailability of the injured Umesh Yadav might mean that Ishant Sharma's experience might see him playing. Remains to bee seen as to who would partner him in the seam bowling department. Ashok Dinda has been in the squad for some time, Parvinder Awana has good pace and recent good form.
As far as the pitch goes, cricinfo reports that it hasn't been watered for the last couple of days. So the dry pitch should turn. From when onwards and how much remains to bee seen.
Weather is expected to stay good.

msp83

Back to top Go down

India v England 4th Test, Nagpur Empty Re: India v England 4th Test, Nagpur

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

The match preview on cricinfo hints that Piyush Chawla might get a recall as the 3rd spinner.
They might as well not turn up!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:32 pm

I don't really get the idea of 3 spinners. A decent spinner likes to get into a rhythm on a helpful pitch and bowl long spells.

All the third spinner would mean is more chopping and changing. They're clearly worried about Ashwin so just drop and replace him if that's the case.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

Playing Jadeja will provide them with the 3rd propper spinner and won't affect the batting or pace bowling balance.
If the pitch takes turn, then the 3rd spinner can be handy, can keep them all fresh and also bowl long enough spell. So long as Cook's playing, they can't expect England to just roll over!.
The choice between Rahana and Jadeja, a real tough one for me. Inclined to go in for the latter at this stage, considering his role as an all-rounder, and also his terrific domestic form.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

Chawla was a like for like replacement for Harbhajan Singh, plain useless with the ball these days, can expect to score some runs.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 12 Dec 2012, 4:16 pm

Have we won yet?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 4:53 pm

England's last test of the year. After the humiliation of the UAE, the disappointment of Sri Lanka, and the humbling by the Saffers, England can end this year on a massive high. A series win in India will be the perfect launchpad to get back to no.1 and give us huge confidence for the double Ashes next year. I'm praying Onions, not Bresnan, is playing. I'm praying Bairstow, not Patel, is playing. Above all, I'm praying for England's greatest ever batsman to win the toss and for England to make a 450+ score to bat India out of contention. Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 5:24 pm

Siddharth Monga of Cricinfo seems to believe Ajinkya Rahane is the front runner for that number 6 position and he seems to think Piyush Chawla will play. The 2nd part is enough for me to give up hopes even before the toss. It is unfair to Rahane to continue to keep him on the bench, but I think the more sensible move will be to play Jadeja at 6, play one of the debutant seamers along side Sharma and balance the side. Rahane's chance will surely come in the near future.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-england-2012/content/current/story/596891.html

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:21 pm

Sigh Sad

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 12 Dec 2012, 8:25 pm

Well if MS Dhoni had any self respect and shame, he would've quit as captain and stepped down from the team. Seeing as he's cash greedy he was never gonna do that.

With regards to their side for T4.

I think Rahane, Jadeja, Awana and Dinda should all debut.

Ishant is rubbish so should be axed. Gambhir needs to learn how to run between the wickets, so he's canned as well.

If I was India selector this would be my side:

1. Rahane
2. Sehwag (c)
3. Pujara
4. Tendulkar
5. Kohli
6. Jadeja
7. Ashwin
8. Dhoni (w/k)
9. Awana
10. Ojha
11. Dinda

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 12 Dec 2012, 9:12 pm

Would pick Onions but if not, I'd go with Tredwell over Bres. He'll probably bowl faster than Bres anyway

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Wed 12 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

Can Cook become only the 4th Englishman to score four centuries in a series to join an esteemed list and if he does he will rise to No1 in the Test rankings list, something to hope for. And to be No1 and to end the year on top would be one hell of an achievement, especially with the form from Clarke and Amla.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 12 Dec 2012, 9:57 pm

I don't think so Chawla would play the game, Jadeja is the man in form and got a good binding with Dhoni, both play for Chennai Super Kings.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:58 pm

It would be a bizarre move by India to go with Chawla here. I mean, Chawla's quite a bit less good than Ashwin with the ball IMO, and Ashwin's hardly running through England as it is, so I'm not sure what more Chawla would do.

Harsh as it is on Rahane, I think Jadeja may be the better option, but given how reluctantly Dhoni has been to use Yuvraj so far in this series, would Jadeja really bowl all that much? If he's not going to bowl, Rahane is the better batsman (though Jadeja is a very fine fielder too of course).

The other option of course would be to pick both, which would mean dropping one of the openers. It might add a bit of energy to the field, with two younger, fit guys, and this could have a positive influence on the side as a whole (I know from experience that an excellent piece of fielding can really lift the side)

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 13 Dec 2012, 2:20 am

Hey MFC, good to have you on cricket board as well thumbsup .

It would be awesome and more controversial if Dhoni drops Gambhir [who is actually waiting in wings for Test Captaincy] citing form and brings in A Rahane.
I would love to see how media react after this move if performed, win or lose media will have 2 full months to debate on the topic.

If India lose after the drop, then again question will be raised who can captain India, Kohli? his performance on test is nothing other than average and too young to captain a test side, sehwag is old horse, may be Ashwin would suit the role:D

If India win, Gambhir will be a scape goat and Rahane might use the chance to position himself up the order, but Dhoni will eventually quit after the next series and again captaincy debate will arise and I guess selectors might give Sachin the captaincy before he retire to retire with pride. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:30 am

Root being said to replace Patel, instead of JB.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:34 am

Hallelujah, he's won the toss, now bat long and make it count.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:36 am

Root in to bolster the batting, not many expected that.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:39 am

Three spinners and one seamer for India..

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:40 am

England team
AN Cook*, NRD Compton, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, JE Root, MJ Prior†, TT Bresnan, GP Swann, JM Anderson, MS Panesar

India team
G Gambhir, V Sehwag, CA Pujara, SR Tendulkar, V Kohli, RA Jadeja, MS Dhoni*†, R Ashwin, PP Chawla, I Sharma, PP Ojha

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:19 am

Just listening to the commentary on Sky and SIB mentioned that Chavla is averaging 50 odd with the ball and 75 with the bat...so is he in for his batting? As he's not even half decent as a bowler?

Second nice to see England pick Root looks a decent young player. Unlike India would've had Rahane as drinks boy for over 2 years now lol.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:20 am

Well that Compton out. Hope Cook can put in another big effort Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:20 am

Compton out, caught Dhoni bowled Sharma for 3. England 3-1. Tame shot that he could have left.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:23 am

Anyone got any idea what a decent score on this pitch is?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:27 am

No,TMS reckon that the pitch is below average, beautiful shot by Trott for 4.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:32 am

So it could be a low scoring game? Was suprised to see India go in with 4 spinners Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:42 am

That should be Trott out. They not sure about 300+ would could be a very good score. Was also surprised Eire, apparently quicks have got wickets here, plus it creates more confusion plus gives the batsmen something different to think about. Also surprised by Roots inclusion especially at 6.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:46 am

I am actually happy at Roots inclusion, i think that its great for him to get a shot. Certainly seems like tough going out there.

Cooks gone Sad
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:46 am

What a rotton decision as well Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:47 am

Cook now out of Lbw to Sharma, for 1. England now 16-2, While Trotts was probably out, this one was never out 2 terrible decision don't make 1 right one.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:48 am

Cook now out of Lbw to Sharma, for 1. England now 16-2, While Trotts was probably out, this one was never out 2 terrible decision don't make 1 right one.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:48 am

Thats a shocking call and all i can say is that its Dharamsena trying to make up for the not out call on Trott...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:53 am

ermmmm not a good start..

time for trott and kp to shine..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:56 am

TBH teams should refuse to play India if they dont use DRS!!

Time to make a stand.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:59 am

Eire I really rate Root & saw him play a few times for Yorkshire and he looks like he's going to be a very good batsman. What I'm not sure about is a) Picking him surprisingly to something not sure about B) be opens for Yorkshire, so is not used to what 6 is about. Would like to have seen Bairstow who didn't do badly in Mumbai. Also not sure about Bresnan, would rather Onions had played. Especially seeing this pitch. Though the way we're going his batting could be required Whistle . Pietersen starting well, hope he dosn't ruin it now.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:00 am

mystiroakey wrote:TBH teams should refuse to play India if they dont use DRS!!

Time to make a stand.

Was you complaining when Cook was lucky to survive plumb LBW calls in Ahmedabad and Mumbai? I highly doubt it.

He got lucky on those occasions. Today his luck ran out.

That's what sport is, a game of luck.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:03 am

Gerry SA wrote:

Time to make a stand.

Was you complaining when Cook was lucky to survive plumb LBW calls in Ahmedabad and Mumbai? I highly doubt it.

I think you have missunderstood the point. I am not complaing about being hard done by- just indias stance on drs- I can think of over 10 bad decisions this series , and its ridiculas, I was making this point on indias bad calls as well. So keep you assumptions to ya self Jerry!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:04 am

and no sport is certainly not a game of luck!

thats a ridiculas premise.. luck is a factor- but as the great Gary player says - The more you practise the luckier you get!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:05 am

Gerry SA wrote:

Time to make a stand.

Sometimes luck is involved in some sports, but not all sports, but the umpiring in this series has been shocking.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:09 am

Jeas Monty and swanny will be licking there lips at this..

Indias spinners making alot of noise

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:09 am

skyeman wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Time to make a stand.

Sometimes luck is involved in some sports, but not all sports, but the umpiring in this series has been shocking.

+1

I do believe that luck evens itself out but the umpiring this series for both teams has been abismal.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:11 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Time to make a stand.

I think you have missunderstood the point. I am not complaing about being hard done by- just indias stance on drs- I can think of over 10 bad decisions this series , and its ridiculas, I was making this point on indias bad calls as well. So keep you assumptions to ya self Jerry!
FYI it's Gerry...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:12 am

Well the umpiring has been poor. The most worrying thing is how poor Aleem Dar was. It's like he's got no confidence at all.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:12 am

Sorry Gezzer Dude Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:15 am

eirebilly wrote:
skyeman wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:

Time to make a stand.

+1

I do believe that luck evens itself out but the umpiring this series for both teams has been abismal.

Exactly why DRS was introduced, some like the human error factor, but not this much.

Shame on the BCCI

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:18 am

Its a shame when bad calls affect a match so much but as i said, both India and England have been on the end of some shocking calls this series.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:19 am

Cant see a draw happening- which is all England need!!

So its gonna be an exiting game!!

This is the perfect time for trott to come in IMO.. He can take that openers role on as good as an opener, but it looks well dicey out there..

I would take 250 from here..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:23 am

thumbsup

I still think it should be the home sides who decide if they uses it, and then just don't tour India until they do comply with everyone else.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

Pietersen now 21 without a run, please Kevin nothing stupid. Very slow scoring, though think this could also be to India's defensive fields.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:24 am

Ha, harsh stance skyeman. I like it Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content