The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing the Old Course - St Andrews

4 posters

Go down

Playing the Old Course - St Andrews Empty Playing the Old Course - St Andrews

Post by tarka Wed 19 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

Right,
coming up to Scotland to see my family w/c 25th February 2012.

I understand that there are better courses (in St Andrews) than TOC but I would love to play it from a history perspective. My questions are:

1. Is just turning up in the morning (as I have been advised by the reservation lady) the best way to go about it?

2. Forward reservations can't be made for single players so this seems the only way to play it. Is it worth playing the course from Fairway mats or will this spoil the experience? it seems very reasonable for £75 but I hate playing off those bl00dy mats.

3. Is it worth having a caddy?

4. Does anyone fancy a game over this time? I can drive from Edinburgh area.

Regards
Tarka.

Any of you Fife lot with any pointers / recommendations?

tarka

Back to top Go down

Playing the Old Course - St Andrews Empty Re: Playing the Old Course - St Andrews

Post by golfermartin Wed 19 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

Tarka

There are many more experienced TOC players than me, but

3. IMO it is definitely worth having a caddy because there are so many blind drives.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Playing the Old Course - St Andrews Empty Re: Playing the Old Course - St Andrews

Post by super_realist Wed 19 Dec 2012, 3:48 pm

Tarka, all you need to know is stay left. You can always take it to the side into the semi if you don't want to play mats. As a local I would consider paying full price a waste of your hard earned cash.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Dec 2012, 2:02 am

Having a caddy is a personal preference but I just find them a little interfering for my liking. Half the fun is discovering a course for yourself, without someone else telling you how they see a shot.

If you are going to turn up at the starters hut it is best to get their very early. In the summer people will turn up at 6am but in February I guess all you can do is turn up at first light. Or, and I hope super will have more info, maybe it is not all that busy in February so turning up a little later might work.

The drive from Edinburgh to st andrews always seems to take a little longer than expected so leave at least 2 hours before your tee time. A little longer if you want to go to the range.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Dec 2012, 7:44 am

Correct Mac, in February or the summer for that matter you should have little trouble getting a game as a single. In winter as you can imagine it is mostly locals playing so you'll easily get out, plus their knowledge takes out the need for a caddy. I agree with Mac about the caddies, lots of big heads with too many opinions. Played with a nice American who had his experience ruined by an interfering caddie.

Also, give me a shout nearer the time, as we are usually just a three ball, I can make sure I enter the ballot the week you come up and you could come out with us provided we aren't balloted out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by tarka Thu 20 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

Thanks lads. I will let you know nearer the time S-R; that would be good.

I had a caddy at Royal Lytham one time and he was a bit of a nob so I can see your point on the caddy front. It is a long trek from Edinburgh, it does seem to take ages! will get a round at musselburgh with brothers father in law and I like to play Broomieknowe and Newbattle which are on my parents doorstep.

Last edited by tarka on Thu 20 Dec 2012, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lots of typos)

tarka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down