The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11

+4
yappysnap
Portnoy's Complaint
doctor_grey
ChequeredJersey
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11 Empty Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:00 pm

"
The Saints' power, physicality and attacking intent saw them to a memorable win in Belfast last Saturday night, but with Aviva Premiership Rugby league leaders Harlequins next on the agenda Mallinder says that there can be no let-up in how the players approach the contest.

"We enjoyed last Saturday's result, but all the chat in the dressing room was about taking the momentum into tomorrow's game against Harlequins," he said. "This has been reflected in the attitude in training this week, which has been both intense and positive.

"We all know that Harlequins will pose us plenty of challenges. They are on a good run of form at the moment in all competitions and have shown regularly that they have the temperament and ability to win on the biggest stage.

"But we know we can win the big games, too, and are determined to give our fans something to sing about on Saturday."

Tomorrow's game may be sold out, but supporters can still follow the action as it happens, whether by following the Saints' Facebook match blog, score updates on the club's Twitter feed, by listening to BBC Radio Northampton or watching Sky Sports 3.

Supporters should also note that the game will be preceded by a minute's silence for David Tait, the former Sale and England Under-20 forward who died tragically last week.

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY HARLEQUINS
Aviva Premiership Rugby Round 11
Franklin's Gardens
Saturday, December 22nd, 2012
Kick off 3:15pm
15 Ben FODEN
14 Ken PISI
13 George PISI
12 Tom MAY
11 Jamie ELLIOTT
10 Stephen MYLER
9 Lee DICKSON
1 Soane TONGA'UIHA
2 Mike HAYWOOD
3 Paul DORAN JONES
4 Samu MANOA
5 Courtney LAWES
6 Tom WOOD
7 Phil DOWSON (capt)
8 GJ VAN VELZE

Replacements
16 Ross MCMILLAN
17 Alex WALLER
18 Brian MUJATI
19 Mark SORENSON
20 Calum CLARK
21 Martin ROBERTS
22 Ryan LAMB
23 Dom WALDOUCK"

From the Premiershiprugby website

"Harlequins have named their team to face Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens tomorrow afternoon in round 11 of the Aviva Premiership (kick-off 3.15pm).

There are six changes to the starting line-up of the team which beat Zebre in the Heineken Cup. Among the backs, Ugo Monye moves to the left wing, with Tom Williams starting on the right.
In the forwards, Joe Marler and James Johnston return to start in the front row alongside Joe Gray at hooker.

Olly Kohn partners George Robson in the second row, while Maurie Fa'asavalu is named in the back-row.

Among the replacements, Dave Ward comes in for Rob Buchanan who picked up a knock during the Aviva 'A' League final victory over Saracens Storm on Monday night. Mark Lambert will look to make his 100th appearance for the club from the bench.

Harlequins Team to face Northampton Saints

15. Mike Brown
14. Tom Williams
13. Matt Hopper
12. Tom Casson
11. Ugo Monye
10. Nick Evans
9. Danny Care

1. Joe Marler
2. Joe Gray
3. James Johnston
4. Olly Kohn
5. George Robson
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Chris Robshaw
8. Nick Easter

16. Dave Ward
17. Mark Lambert
18. Will Collier
19. Charlie Matthews
20. Tom Guest
21. Karl Dickson
22. Ben Botica
23. Sam Smith"

Huge game, looking forward to it. Could cement our place at the top or kick start Saints' domestic season. Key battles here will be Brown vs Foden at FB (Foden got the better in the League last season but was outplayed in the SF), Wood and Robshaw at the breakdown, and JJ vs Tonga in the scrum. Lancaster will be keeping an eye on a lot of players, especially Courtney Lawes and Foden
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11 Empty Re: Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:52 pm

To me, the most interesting Saints match of the year - only because Saints appeared to rejuvenate their season last week. To be fair, if they make the number of handling errors they made last week, the rebirth might be a very short one. Interesting there is only one change from last week's line-up: Lawes for Clark in the second row. Tom May at 12 shows Saints will mostly be going forwards and not wildly flinging the ball sideways (for Quins to intercept). I would like to see Burrell on the bench instead of Waldouck.

An interesting sidelight will be Marler v. Doran-Jones. He was told by both Lancaster and Mallinder he needed to improve his scrimmaging, but was fine around the pitch. A small battle for an England jersey?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11 Empty Re: Northampton Saints vs Harlequins FC - Aviva Premiership Round 11

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:08 pm

Yeah should be good. I want to see Marler around the park a bit more as he seemed to stop that aspect of his game whilst at England
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:24 pm

I love watching Saints Quins games over the past few seasons.

My heart always says Saints but I've got the bonus that Quins just have the technical edge this time.

But it's at Franlklin Alley so it is unpredictable.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:14 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Yeah should be good. I want to see Marler around the park a bit more as he seemed to stop that aspect of his game whilst at England
I want to see Marler around the park too. In the stands. In the bar. In the clubhouse. Not on the pitch, however. Should be interesting at scum time.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:55 pm

Laugh

Have Quins played their way out of their start of season poor form yet? Prior to the Zebre games i'd have said Quins were only playing at about 60% and just doing enough, they were also playing in all the wrong parts of the field and forcing the ball too much. Will two easy run outs against amateurs prepped them for Franklins Gardens??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

I hope not.
Saints have not been operating at or near 100% either. Hopefully both can up their form.
Hopefully Saints a bit more.......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:08 pm

We've played well When it mattered against Tigers and Biarritz
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:03 am

Well, take it from me, the Quins match against Saints won't matter (to your point). So no reason to turn up and play well. In fact, I would suggest playing poorly. Consider it a Christmas present for your local orthopod. As incentive, just think of it this way: You have an accident and you wake up on the operating table and I am looking down at you asking who won. What would you say????

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:12 am

Are you my local? I've got an even bigger incentive, as you might be my immediate superior sometime Laugh
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:28 am

My friend,
That was funny. Besides I am never in one place long enough....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 1:31 pm

Not sure about the make up of our backrow, after his stirling performance in the A league i'd have preferred Wallace at 6, he also helps our fast moving game plan with his speed and handling (though the weather may have given that the kiss of death!!)

Just think big Mo may not be the right choice to try to bosh the Saints pack of boshers.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

Is the weather anything like as bad as it is at bath? Tactical kicking could be the winner

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

Saints look limp again

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:36 pm

Having to listen to the game with two Saints players as the commentators I think so can't really give a fair opinion of the game!!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:38 pm

Laugh

Paul Diggin is an amazing commentator!! Totally one eyed and doesn't care who knows it.

He's a breath of fresh air

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:51 pm

As much as I can make out through the Diggin Saints love-fest/Wayne Barnes hate-athon, Quins scrum is munching the Saints scrum and gets us another pen 3-6 to Quins.

Quins winning the maul and lineout as well...just. Weather is apparently poor and Saints are being robbed... Whistle

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:52 pm

Saints go for touch with less then 10 mins of the half to go...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:53 pm

...Lawes knocks on in a promising position.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:55 pm

Saints kick for the corner again with very little time left...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

...George Robson the legend steals it!...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 3:58 pm

Casson puts in an amazing kick to turn Foden, from one 22 to the Saints 22 in one move.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:00 pm

Not sure what Diggin is talking about but I think Barnes has been superb so far, one of the better performances from a ref I've seen this year!!!

Saints look a little predictable, quins are far smarter and containing them comfortably, and when they see ball they are varying their game nicely.

Conditions look ok.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:01 pm

Yappy

You a quins fan? Cassen hooked it from half way to just inside the 22, decent kick but 22 to 22 it was certainly not!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

Intriguing battle so far. Will take the win by 3 as it stands
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

Anyone know why the comentators keep calling it 6 - 6, yet the scoreboard says 6-3, have I missed something?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

I canonly assume they got so bored they started watching another game

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

PSW

Don't think it's been that bad, both teams trying to play a conservative game because of the conditions but still trying to put the ball through hands at times.

Watch the Blues v Scarlets game of last night and then compare... mad furious

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:10 pm

im listening on the radio and Diggin said 22 to 22. Although he's been a little OTT so far today...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Guess its not been helped by a lot of stoppages. I watched the second half of the Bath game and although the conditions were far worse and the score a blowout it was far more entertaining, some real blood and guts stuff interpersed with occasional moments of brilliant and Bath taking risks to chase the game. Occasional bit of thuggery and some funky reffing ...what more do you need formk a game? This has just been a bit tired to my mind, and neither team looks 100% like they are there.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

Oh I see mate....

Diggin is a twonk, Cassen was 2metres inside his own half at most and the ball barely crossed the 22, it was also a turnover, Foden was out of position and he had no pressure at all on him, decent but nothing any backline player couldnt do.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:14 pm

Well in their defence, it's a tough clash, both are cagey and neither want to take risks, if either lose heavily to the other and then meet in the HC...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:15 pm

Laugh

I guess that's why he's only a part time commentator then!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:17 pm

Well he was only a part time player too!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:22 pm

Easter chasing down Foden?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

Quins giving away ANOTHER penalty

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:32 pm

When a commentator says "boom!', you know he's a little less than impartial
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:35 pm

I've never been a fan but Easter has been immense.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:38 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:When a commentator says "boom!', you know he's a little less than impartial

That is the least of it Rolling Eyes

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm

Are Quins kicking too much away this game? Sounds like every time Nev is mentioned he's kicking the ball long to Foden or Myler.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:42 pm

From what I've heard, Foden has been poor
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:43 pm

Yea as much as Diggin tries to dress it up the Saints team sounds quite one dimensional at the moment, although their young wing sounds dangerous.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:44 pm

That'll be £48 Diggen
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:45 pm

Foden hasn't been bad, been taking high balls better than Brown, and ghosted Brown early on but was called a forward pass, wouldve been a great finish from Foden though, beat 3 to go over and none heard the whistle!!

Foden has just been marshalled well and is being caught trying to take the ball up too much!

Everyone is kicking the ball too much, but when someone doesn't kick it they are being punished so can't blame them!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:47 pm

As I post that he drops one Laugh

Quins are just getting the rub now, and the 6 points that could win the game are all through Fodens mistakes!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

yappysnap wrote:Are Quins kicking too much away this game? Sounds like every time Nev is mentioned he's kicking the ball long to Foden or Myler.

Given conditions kicking is for territory is pretty important, problem is they arent chasing it agressively enough and he isnt kicking well enough.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

Bluesman steps in with the kiss of death for Foden...

OK

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:49 pm

In that case Borwon has been superb and been far better than Foden...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Are Quins kicking too much away this game? Sounds like every time Nev is mentioned he's kicking the ball long to Foden or Myler.

Given conditions kicking is for territory is pretty important, problem is they arent chasing it agressively enough and he isnt kicking well enough.

Must be pleased with the LI result PSW. Tasty little bp in the bag there and Benny Youngs managed to grab himself a yellow card.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:50 pm

Good old Borwon, i've always said he had talent.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next