The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 19

+24
Portnoy's Complaint
Geordie
Heaf
nathan
EnglishReign
Scrumpy
Sgt_Pooly
B91212
lostinwales
Bathite
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Welly
Bathman_in_London
HongKongCherry
yappysnap
kingelderfield
Poorfour
Jimpy
ChequeredJersey
broadlandboy
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
SirBurger
LondonTiger
28 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 19 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 19

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Table:

Pos Team __Pld__ __Won__ _Drawn_ _Lost_ __For__ _Against_ __TF__ __TA__ __TBP__ __LBP__ __Pts__
Saracens
Northampton Saints
Leicester Tigers
Bath Rugby
Sale Sharks
Harlequins
London Wasps
Gloucester Rugby
Exeter Chiefs
London Irish
Newcastle Falcons
Worcester Warriors

Fixtures:

Fri 11th Apr 14
19:45 Sale Sharks  v   Harlequins BT Sport

Sat 12th Apr 14
15:00 Leicester Tigers  v   London Wasps
15:00        Worcester Warriors  v   Exeter Chiefs
15:15 Gloucester Rugby  v   Bath Rugby BT Sport

Sun 13th Apr 14
14:00 Saracens  v   Northampton Saints BT Sport
15:00 London Irish  v   Newcastle Falcons

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 19 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 19

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Sale Sharks v Harlequins

Round 19 starts with a massive Friday night clash in Salford. 2012 Champions, Harlequins, simply have to win if they are to maintain any realistic hope of making the playoffs – yet Sale being 2pts and 1 place higher in the table are already talking about the opportunity to win the title.

Since losing narrowly to Saracens in February, Sale have won 4 in a row in the AP – including wins over Bath and Northampton. Confidence may have been dented slightly by the comprehensive defeat suffered to Saints in the Amlin – though Diamond took the chance to rotate his squad. Sale will be keen to have the experience of club captain Dan Braid and the premiership’s all time leading try scorer Mark Cueto available. Meanwhile, if selected, Danny Cipriani will be keen to show the sort of form that has pundits suggesting he may travel to NZ in the summer. Sale will perhaps be relieved that after their travails in the Scrum over the last fortnight they are not facing the strongest of scrimmaging packs. Even so they need to sort out these issues as Refs can be affected by “reputation”.
Quins fans have been bemoaning their form recently, while results have been up and down. The second half against Stade was a marked improvement on the first but they will need to step up again if they are to challenge Sale. We can expect to see COS pick direct runners in midfield as Quins look to set up the sort of positions that will allow Easter, Care, Evans and Brown to flourish.

Can Quins maintain a high tempo and use their offloading game to beat Sale and their lineout drives? I suspect not and we will see a narrow home win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Leicester v Wasps

With four matches to go Leicester are building up a head of steam. They will be looking to use the narrow defeat to Clermont to spur them on to an umpteenth consecutive play-off final. Wasps will have enjoyed winning their Amlin Quarter final and did beat Leicester at home early in the season. Leicester should be far too strong in the pack allowing Owen Williams an armchair ride, and should be disappointed if they fail to secure 5 points.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Worcester v Exeter

Since the start of November Exeter have won just 2 of 11 AP matches (vs Falcons and LI) so appear to be the ideal team for bottom-placed Worcester to face. Having finally won their first match of the season in Round 18 Worcester have to win this fixture. We can expect a nervy game from them – which could allow Exeter to settle and play as we know they can, but have so rarely seen since the first half vs Cardiff Blues. They have to improve their goal-kicking as Henry Slade has made Ford look like a hawkeye. Recall for Steenson?
I expect this game could go one of two ways – Worcester to win a really tight one, Exeter to really break free and run in some points.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Gloucester v Bath

Having narrowly lost to Sale last time out, Bath fans (and management?) will suddenly be worrying about securing play-off spot. Normally a match against a team as misfiring as Gloucester have been would be the ideal tonic. However when it comes to these derby matches form and reason go out of the window. With nothing to play for, Gloucester could suddenly click, but Bath have the strength in their tight five to demolish what has at times been a powder-puff Glaws five. Exciting runners on both teams 0- we will probably end up with a turgid kick fest.
Bath should win. But…….

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Saracens v Northampton

Last time these teams met in the AP, Northampton comprehensively outplayed the men from Barnet. Following the impressive win in last years AP semi and followed in turn by the win in the LV semi last month – Saints have developed a nice little run against their fellow title challengers. However their recent form is not great and the injuries seem to be starting to mount up. At full strength I believe Northampton to be the superior side, but that Saracens have the stronger squad. A win for Sarries would probably guarantee them a home semi-final, and pretty much ensure they will finish the season in top spot.
While Sarries form has not been especially great, they have been good enough to overpower teams – and score plenty of tries while doing so. The failure to secure an easy win against Ulster will surely be used to spur them on in training this week.

Sarries have shown that they can be rattled when teams match their physicality. Can Saints do this again? It will take a supreme effort and the head says Sarries will continue their march to the Semis.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:02 pm

London Irish v Newcastle

Sorry to Ozzy, Heaf, SirBurger, GF, Pooly and any I have forgotten – but this fixture is just making me go – MEH!
By all accounts (well Ozzy’s really) Irish are out of form, while Falcons have been atrocious in 2014. The match with Worcester the other week made me want to pull my fingernails out.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm

LondonTiger wrote:London Irish v Newcastle

Sorry to Ozzy, Heaf, SirBurger, GF, Pooly and any I have forgotten – but this fixture is just making me go – MEH!
By all accounts (well Ozzy’s really) Irish are out of form, while Falcons have been atrocious in 2014. The match with Worcester the other week made me want to pull my fingernails out.

To be honest - it's making me go 'meh' a bit as well! Very Happy 

I'm kind of hoping that Fowlie gets another game at centre or Ellis in the back row - at the moment watching some of the young guns get a run out is the most compelling thing about this fixture (potentially).

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:57 pm

SirBurger wrote:

I'm kind of hoping that Fowlie gets another game at centre or Ellis in the back row - at the moment watching some of the young guns get a run out is the most compelling thing about this fixture (potentially).

+1

I've only missed 1 home game in all competitions this season, but will be missing one.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
SirBurger wrote:

+1

I've only missed 1 home game in all competitions this season, but will be missing one.

Will wait and see personally - Fowlie in the centres and O'Leary back at scrum half might make us a bit more interesting in attack. Think I will see if I fancy it when I wake up Sunday, otherwise will listen on BBC Berkshire and hope that I don't miss a cracker!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 pm

It's the wife's birthday on Sunday, and she's booked a table in a restaurant for half 4, so won't be there. Had I not been feeling 'meh' about the game I would have put in a request for a later dinner time!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:16 pm

I've a got a rare Saturday afternoon off. Could tale the wife to the rugby but at 31 quid for the cheapest seating ticket I dunno that's pretty pricey for a game vs Wasps. Might wait and see what team we put out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:35 pm

Sam, apparently only a few single tickets left last week

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 pm

So I have the table looking like this after this round of games. Sarries to essentially book a home semi final, Quins to pretty much be out of the play off hunt, and Worcester clinging on by their finger nails...

Saracens 76
Saints 66
Tigers 63
Bath 60
Sale 55
Quins 50
Wasps 39
Chiefs 36
Gloucester 36
Irish 30
Falcons 20
Worcester 14
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm

No apologies needed LT - I'm hoping for a decent game but expectations are not high ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Guess I'm skipping it then Broadband. Wasn't that fussed what with bigger games coming up. Would like to see us play a team of;

Stanko, Hawkins, Balmain
Slater, Kitchener
Mafia, Crane, Matera
Youngs, Williams
Allen, Manu
Scully, Tait, Geneva

Bench; Ayerza, Youngs, Mulipola, Deacon, Salvi, Mele, Flood, Hamilton.

Maybe Bowden in for Allen if fit. Make sure Slater doesn't play a full game though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:24 pm

As everyone has said above....don't apologise...

In fact let me write the match report...falcons have the most possession but with the abjectly ghastly Godman at 10 the falcons create zero chances and Irish run out convincing winners...allowing Worcester another chance to close the gap for premiership survival...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

As everyone has said above....don't apologise...

In fact let me write the match report...falcons have the most possession but with the abjectly ghastly Godman at 10 the falcons create zero chances and Irish run out unconvincing winners, after missing 4 simple ones off the tee...allowing Worcester another chance to close the gap for premiership survival...

Fixed that for you.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am

I'm not that confident but I think if we keep improving we can see away Sale. Our scrum has looked far better with Sinckler and Marler in, Robshaw has played off against players like Braid and we are starting to play rugby again...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:53 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:So I have the table looking like this after this round of games.  Sarries to essentially book a home semi final, Quins to pretty much be out of the play off hunt, and Worcester clinging on by their finger nails...

Saracens 76
Saints 66
Tigers 63
Bath 60
Sale 55
Quins 50
Wasps 39
Chiefs 36
Gloucester 36
Irish 30
Falcons 20
Worcester 14

Saints wont get a losing bonus point, i'm fairly confident of that.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:10 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I'm not that confident but I think if we keep improving we can see away Sale. Our scrum has looked far better with Sinckler and Marler in, Robshaw has played off against players like Braid and we are starting to play rugby again...

Well, this is the defining game of the season for Quins and they are likely to be able to put out an unchanged team for the first time in what seems like forever. The first half against Stade was marred by errors - a lot of them looked to be the result of Quins having picked the wrong studs for what looked like slippery turf. But the second half was pretty good - especially considering that even Stade's second team contained 9 internationals.

Sale away (anyone else get echoes of Enya whenever they type that? Sale away, sale away, sale away) is never an easy game, but Nick Evans is finding some form, JTH and Molenaar went surprisingly well for a first time centre pairing comprising two big units, and Sinckler has thus far proven able to adapt to whatever he's faced in the scrum... and still put in a massive shift in the loose.

The main problem Quins seem to have at the moment is in getting from the 22 to the 5m line. They are playing territory well, and both Smith and Brown know where the try line is from close range (would Ollie Lindsay-Hague score more often if he changed his name to Jones to fit in?). Where it has been going wrong is in losing control of the ball once we're in the 22 rather than consolidating and working the phases to create a little space.

Anyway, win this one and things start to get interesting. There shouldn't be an issue with motivation for either side. Tasty stuff.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Poorfour wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:I'm not that confident but I think if we keep improving we can see away Sale. Our scrum has looked far better with Sinckler and Marler in, Robshaw has played off against players like Braid and we are starting to play rugby again...

Well, this is the defining game of the season for Quins and they are likely to be able to put out an unchanged team for the first time in what seems like forever. The first half against Stade was marred by errors - a lot of them looked to be the result of Quins having picked the wrong studs for what looked like slippery turf. But the second half was pretty good - especially considering that even Stade's second team contained 9 internationals.

Sale away (anyone else get echoes of Enya whenever they type that? Sale away, sale away, sale away) is never an easy game, but Nick Evans is finding some form, JTH and Molenaar went surprisingly well for a first time centre pairing comprising two big units, and Sinckler has thus far proven able to adapt to whatever he's faced in the scrum... and still put in a massive shift in the loose.

The main problem Quins seem to have at the moment is in getting from the 22 to the 5m line. They are playing territory well, and both Smith and Brown know where the try line is from close range (would Ollie Lindsay-Hague score more often if he changed his name to Jones to fit in?). Where it has been going wrong is in losing control of the ball once we're in the 22 rather than consolidating and working the phases to create a little space.

Anyway, win this one and things start to get interesting. There shouldn't be an issue with motivation for either side. Tasty stuff.

Really looking forward to this game. Sale's pack looked very physical against both Saints and Bath in their last two wins.

Perhaps Sarries apart, these two are arguably the best coached sides in the league?

Players under the spot light; Cipriani, Thomas, Sinckler and Smith (worcester...why?)

And the weather appears to be playing ball as well;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643123

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Could be an interesting team selection this week from us. Brian Smith has said in the local paper that he will be using the remaining games this season to prepare for next season, and that means giving game time to players who will be here then. Players who are fit, but are leaving are Yapp, Evans, Hala'ufia, Humphreys, Yarde and O'Connor.

The article read that young Fowlie and Ellis will feature this week, which is good news, as both look like exceptional prospects.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 pm

If you aren't going to play JOC we'll happily take him on loan as injury cover for Monye
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:46 pm

I'd be surprised if we leave him out CJ. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing 10 or 12 though. We are light in the centres due to injury, and either Homer or Ojo could play full back.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Poorfour wrote:

I agree with most of that. BUT. If we're to win away in Sale two things have to change.

- We can not just fling the ball wide after only one players carried it up like we did in the first half against Stade (and most of this season). It just causes us more problems then it creates for the opposition.

- And we have to stop gifting the opposition points after we score. Getting out of our 22 needs to be smarter and Care & Brown should run less and kick more as they would for England.

We know what Sale will do; and that's compete for the ball at every ruck, spoil every passage of play and rush up for the big hits. If we keep it tight, offload close in and kick well then we will win, we are better then them no matter what the table say's. If we pass wide without any go forward, give panicked offloads and don't respect the ball then we'll lose, it'll be exactly what Sale want.

Smart rugby will win this one, not flair rugby. I'll take a 3 - 6 bore fest if it keeps us in play off contention.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Why Smith to Worcester? Because of Monye, Williams, Chisholm, Walker and Yarde. He was offered a deal, but preferred to have more game time. I hope it works out for him, but if we can keep our wings fit (insert Spartan "if" here) we'll be ok
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56 am

LondonTiger wrote:Gloucester v Bath

Having narrowly lost to Sale last time out, Bath fans (and management?) will suddenly be worrying about securing play-off spot. Normally a match against a team as misfiring as Gloucester have been would be the ideal tonic. However when it comes to these derby matches form and reason go out of the window. With nothing to play for, Gloucester could suddenly click, but Bath have the strength in their tight five to demolish what has at times been a powder-puff Glaws five. Exciting runners on both teams 0- we will probably end up with a turgid kick fest.
Bath should win. But…….

Given there is this apparent 7th place play off for the final Euro spot and we're only 3 points behind Wasps in 7th there still is plenty to play for. Added to that we can have a dire year but as long as we beat Bath at home it will give it a respectable tinge! However, should we lose to Bath then it becomes a truly woeful year...

It was sold out a couple of weeks ago and Bath rarely bring more than a few hundred supporters, so hopefully the atmosphere at Castle Grim will raise the players' performance, because Lord knows something has to! I would expect and hope for some notable changes from the team that started against Wasps and surely Freddie Burns has played his last game for us; we can't afford to have someone in such an important role be so poor. Morgan should be on the bench given his drop in form and Evans' improved form.

HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 am

Please give Burns another chance to shine HKC, you know you want to! I saw him in Bath a few weekends ago actually, maybe wondering what could have been if he hadn't chased the cherry pound...

Forecast is good so no excuses for a turgid game, plenty to play for apart from the usual rivalry too, potential playoff spot for Bath, potential Euro spot for Glaws.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 am

HongKongCherry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Gloucester v Bath

Bath should win. But…….

Given there is this apparent 7th place play off for the final Euro spot and we're only 3 points behind Wasps in 7th there still is plenty to play for.  Added to that we can have a dire year but as long as we beat Bath at home it will give it a respectable tinge! However, should we lose to Bath then it becomes a truly woeful year...

It was sold out a couple of weeks ago and Bath rarely bring more than a few hundred supporters, so hopefully the atmosphere at Castle Grim will raise the players' performance, because Lord knows something has to!  I would expect and hope for some notable changes from the team that started against Wasps and surely Freddie Burns has played his last game for us; we can't afford to have someone in such an important role be so poor.  Morgan should be on the bench given his drop in form and Evans' improved form.

From a Leicester perspective, the thought of Burns in the squad next season worries me a bit... Assuming Williams continues to show good form, he will surely be first choice 10, so Burns will have to be playing exceptionally well to make the 10 jersey his. He's not going to get much match time if Williams stays fit, so how will he regain form? If he doesn't regain form, how is he an asset to the squad?

Are Glaws glad to see the back of him, or would you have liked him to stay and perhaps found his form again?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:43 am

I'm of the belief it will make or break Burns this move.

Burns has been playing like Ford was last year for us just with a overall weaker team esp up front.

Ford has been playing well this season (outside some of the big games).

Williams WILL be in the wales squad next season so Burns will get his chances then.

Hopefully Tigers get Bai as having him will add some depth if Burns doesn't make it.

But Williams is numbero uno for us atm and i'm glad Ford left as I think Williams is a better fit for Tigers how many other 10 in the league would have gotten the 2 kicks beyond half way in a game of that magnitude. And have to say I glad Bath or Glous didn't look at him at the time esp Glous with the Scarlets connection already there.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Guess I'm skipping it then Broadband. Wasn't that fussed what with bigger games coming up. Would like to see us play a team of;

Stanko, Hawkins, Balmain
Slater, Kitchener
Mafia, Crane, Matera
Youngs, Williams
Allen, Manu
Scully, Tait, Geneva

Bench; Ayerza, Youngs, Mulipola, Deacon, Salvi, Mele, Flood, Hamilton.

Maybe Bowden in for Allen if fit. Make sure Slater doesn't play a full game though.

Would play as near a strong team as poss we need to win big here the lads have a weeks rest in 3 weeks time whereas Bath, Saints and sarries don't.

Would go with

Ayerza, Youngs, Mulipola
 Slater, Deacon
 Gibson, Crane, Salvi
 Youngs, Williams
 Allen, Manu
 Scully, Tait, Goneva

Bench Hawkins, Stanko, Balmain, Parling, Mafi/Matera, Mele, Flood, Hamilton.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am

Welly wrote:I'm of the belief it will make or break Burns this move.

Burns has been playing like Ford was last year for us just with a overall weaker team esp up front.

Ford has been playing well this season (outside some of the big games).

Williams WILL be in the wales squad next season so Burns will get his chances then.

Hopefully Tigers get Bai as having him will add some depth if Burns doesn't make it.

But Williams is numbero uno for us atm and i'm glad Ford left as I think Williams is a better fit for Tigers how many other 10 in the league would have gotten the 2 kicks beyond half way in a game of that magnitude. And have to say I glad Bath or Glous didn't look at him at the time esp Glous with the Scarlets connection already there.

That's true, but it doesn't add up to a whole lot of chances - can't believe Burns signed up to a contract that effectively has him as second choice now. Was Freddie signed before Williams began to shine?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:05 am

Jimpy wrote:
That's true, but it doesn't add up to a whole lot of chances - can't believe Burns signed up to a contract that effectively has him as second choice now. Was Freddie signed before Williams began to shine?

Believed so.

Burns still hasn't "officially" signed yet.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:08 am

there have been rumours he was coming to us ever since the announcements that Flood was leaving and Burns was not staying at Glaws co-incided in December.

As to ford's form fo rus last season - other than goalkicking I thought he was very good. his defense was strong, game management excellent and he put in a very, very good performance in the AP final.

BTW what is it with young English 10s and lousy goalkicking? Ford, Burns(x2), Slade, Hurrell all seem to be struggling.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:30 am

Confess that I'm feeling a wee bit nervous about this coming weekend - which Chiefs will show up to Sixways? The ones that we've been promised now that the ground is firmer, or the pale imitation of their potential that lost to Glaws?

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm

Jimpy wrote:

Are Glaws glad to see the back of him, or would you have liked him to stay and perhaps found his form again?

The Burns of last season are am very disappointed to see go. He was outstanding last year. He really got the balance between his maverick side and when to play for territory. He was the top points scorer in the Jeff and a big reason why we finished 5th. Unfortunately there has been no site of that player this season. His last good game for us was at the Rec in October and since then he has been, quite frankly, abysmal! I am sad to see him go and I do think had he decided to stay he would have regained some form by now, but his head clearly isn't with us anymore and I wish him well with his move. If you can get him back to the form of last year then you will have signed an outstanding player who will be a huge asset to you. If you get the Burns of this year, you'll get an overpaid bench warmer who stands deep, runs into contact, can't tackle, gives possession away and can't kick goals! Personally I feel he will re-gain his form and live up to the whole class is permanent ethos, which will be a huge benefit to England. But he's not going to find that form again with us.

Welly wrote:I'm of the belief it will make or break Burns this move.

There is no way Ford was this bad! Recent televised games against Saints and Wasps show just how poor he is at present with a kicking ratio of just over 50% too! His tackle percentage the last time I looked was in the 60s%.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Fords kicking percentage was pretty urine poor for us last year ask any tigers fan and defensively he was poor imo but he could move him around player like Allen, Manu etc attacking ford was good though.

But he had better players around him imo, Ford was getting forward ball. I haven't watched all the games but how often where the backs getting decent forward ball from the forwards. Was it trinder who against Falcons or someone had a tackle ratio of 0% made 0 missed 8 I think it was officially.

Although it should contracts do affect players as it is they careers look at Flood he has been a shadow of his former self when he said he was leaving, Ford did it and Burns is doing it.

Look at Williams last year for the scarlet when he was leaving he had some poor games for them.

as said the move will make or break him he will thrive under the atmosphere or become a lamb type player.

I can't see both Williams and Burns staying after 2/3 seasons though, esp if both find form.

Who knows maybe Ryan took lamb with a side agreement that if cockers doesn't want burns after a season he will take him aswell, allowing tigers to target any NZ/SA who didn't make the WC squad and is being looked at by the country. Wink

Who knows.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

I think Ford played well last season he just kicked terribly.

Flood has struggled since his glute injury. I think he needs an op he's putting off until the summer.

Burns will have time to settle in with Williams clearly first choice. Bit of a bonus that he covers 15 from the bench as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:57 pm

Can burns play 12?

Just thinking if Bowden leaves could be good added depth.

Obviously he is a 10 but a bit depth never hurts to have some.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 pm

Welly wrote:Can burns play 12?

Just thinking if Bowden leaves could be good added depth.

Obviously he is a 10 but a bit depth never hurts to have some.

You missed the whole 60% tackle completion stat then Welly?  Smile  Actually yea definitely play him at 12...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:59 pm

What was Dan Bowden's before he came to tigers? wasn't great.

I'm just saying it doesn't hurt if the 10 on the bench can play 12 as well. Anyway i'm less concerned about 10 if Bai comes, as Williams has certainly played very well if he hadn't then I would be concerned.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:27 pm

You'd move Williams to 12 over Burns as he's big enough to cope with it physically and would still take on the kicking. We have Allen, Hempetema and Pohe all as 12 In the squad for next season. Good selection of ages and skill sets. All have played for the first team this season and Pohe has been getting additional game time at Nottingham recently.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:26 am

Looking forward to seeing Pohe play a bit more next season, hopefully Cockers will do the usual thing and not back him, allowing another club who like a big 12 and are willing to promote youngsters to come in and nab him...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am

yappysnap wrote:Looking forward to seeing Pohe play a bit more next season, hopefully Cockers will do the usual thing and not back him, allowing another club who like a big 12 and are willing to promote youngsters to come in and nab him...

anthony Allen is out of contract atthe en of the season (along with Bowden) I believe, Still no news about resigning contracts - so we may be forced into playing Pohe.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:43 am

Surely you wouldn't let Allen go, he pretty much holds the Leicester backline together. I can't imagine he's on a poor wage either so it'd only be a French club that may take him. Bowden seems more likely to leave as he could be a starter at many lower level clubs.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 am

I read that Simon Cohen (the CEO) was hopeful of keeping Allen, but that talks were still in place. His salary is probably similar to JTH, so affordable - but if he moves it will be for playing/lifestyle reasons. There have been rumours that he is Dublin bound - certainly MOC is a big fan.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:50 am

Allen already signed.. Signed in January on a new 3 year deal.

Bowden is leaving basically from what Cohen said on RL last night and Matera is looking like he will leave apparently.

And cockers is on record as saying he is a big fan of pohe and he prob would have been on the bench in the AP if he didnt get injured mid way in the season.

Reckon Thacker and pohe next season will be 3rd/4th choices in there positions.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 am

Welly wrote:Allen already signed.. Signed in January on a new 3 year deal.

Are you sure. I read only last month that negotiations were ongoing over fine print. If signed would there not have been an official announcement as there has for some of the others?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:00 am

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Anthony-Allen-signs-new-deal-stay-Leicester/story-20445832-detail/story.html

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next