The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predictions for 2013

+21
theslosty
thebluesmancometh
ChequeredJersey
mystiroakey
GunsGerms
Liam
lostinwales
Breadvan
George Carlin
emack2
rainbow-warrior
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Hound_of_Harrow
Pot Hale
king_carlos
ThePantomimeVillain
Biltong
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
NeilyBroon
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Predictions for 2013 Empty Predictions for 2013

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 01 Jan 2013, 2:50 pm

6Ns

France will win but it'll be tight between them and England, if England do win it'll be on a Grandslam. Ireland will come a steady third, Wales fourth and Italy fifth after winning at Murrayfield.

Scotland, as much as it pains me to say it, will likely win the wooden spoon, unless Johnson pulls out something incredible (please do surprise me!) they should beat Italy, but they also 'should've' beaten Tonga.

Aviva Premiership

Can't see much past a Quins win again, although Leicester and Sarries will be second favourites, with Glaws the dark horses. Although if Wasps carry on the way we're going we may well have a place in the semi finals (which would be wonderful considering the appalling last couple of seasons).

Sale, I think, will be relegated. Although with the trouble at London Irish, I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Rabo

Difficult to see past an Ulster win, although Munster could be in for a shout. Glasgow and Scarlets are solid but not good enough to get the title, and nor are Ospreys.

Heineken cup

Bit more interesting, Toulon and Clermont are on blistering form, whilst Harlequins haven't really stepped wrong this season so far, and of course Ulster are consistent performers in this competition. Difficult to say but I think I'd go with Toulon on this one although England confidence may lead to a Harlequins victory.

Challenge cup

I think Wasps, although haven't been following this as closely.

LIONS (nearly forgot that one)

Lions will narrowly win the series and only Richie Gray will tour from Scotland. Mostly English and Welsh players.

4Ns

New Zealand will be annoyed about that England game, so they have my money, although it'll be tight with SA. I have a feeling Arg will get a good scalp this year.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Predictions for 2013 Empty Re: Predictions for 2013

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 01 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

Neily
I see you need a bit of a hand.

Super XV

Although performing dismally in 2012, the Auckland Blues should win the 2013 Super xv....Sir JK says so.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:04 pm

Laurie, did Ted say so as well?

I'd love to know what those two are preparing for 2013...the mental approach and defence are the greatest areas of improvement. Not worried about attack. JK will ensure they have it in spades.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:10 pm

I won't be as bold as to predict winners.

Teams that will go well in the Super Xv this year.
Sharks, Stormers, Chiefs, Hurricanes, Reds and maybe the Brumbies, but somehow I think the love affair with Jake White is going to recieve a dent this year.

Six Nations, England and France

Four Nations Close between SA and NZ

Currie Cup Sharks and Western Province
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:23 pm

Taylorman
with Ted, JK and Ali this going to be all about attack, sadly nothing else.

Biltong

Do you not think theres a chance that the Cheetahs could build on their "style" from last year?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

They lose too many players Laurie, at least this year they will have Goosen and Pretorius as a halfback combo, Johan Sadie who left the Stormers for the Bulls in 2011 has moved to the Cheetahs, he showed a lot of prmoise but got littl chance at the Bulls.

The Chhetahs pack though have lost a lot of power.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

I predict trouble for South Africa. They are clearly in reluctant transition again to "new rugby" but as history has shown us twice already, if they don't win early and well then there will be reversion and this could lead to stagnation and disharmony, again. Can they cross the threshold this time? They will be an altogether more formidable force if they can.

NZ too are in flux, a strong year in 2012 almost disguised some issues that became glaring at twickenham. "Controlled mongrel" is missing in the pack. Kaino and thorn have left holes hard to fill, and with reports that kaino has shed 8kg to keep up with faster paced less physical Japanese club rugby a solution is not apparent in the short term.

I predict a big year for the NH. The lions should out muscle the struggling wallabies who without sharpe really lack a front five of genuine international
quality.

I also predict a close fought home series between France and NZ.

Both the lions nd France tour will add spice and relegate the 6N and 4N from their preeminent peaks.

I pick NZ for the 4N and I suspect Wales and France to play off for grandslam rights.

England for me are flattering themselves after their circumstantial win at twickenham and I can see a shock in store in the 6N for them and a rough landing. Wales to recover from last years low with returning players and a move away from their reliance in the power and size game with both Williams becoming world class talking points.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 01 Jan 2013, 8:50 pm

I'll go with France for the 6N. Thought they were the overall best NH side of the AI's and St Andre has brought some consistency to this side that Levr... lacked and like any tournament consistency is the key.

Lions I agree will smash the Aussies up front but with Howill, JOC, possibly a more refined Quade returning they'll get opportunities to press out wide as they did a couple of years ago. But they will need to beef up the pack somehow.

Argie will definitely win at least one test this year in the RC. Their rate of mprovement has been too good to ignore. Its just a matter of which of the other 3 will give them the first one.

The Blues I have high hopes for purely based on the new coaches Ted and JK, moreso Ted. JK needs to get used to coaching winners, something he has little experience of as a coach with Italy and Japan. But in his defence he hasnt had the players and has stuck to his attack mode philosophy. With better players to work with he just may see some of that finally realised.

Ted however, will know exactly why the Blues are failing and the loss of players to league is the one factor he cant control, but I think he'll take a leaf from Wayne Smith and Dave Rennie at the Chiefs where they turned a side thats NEVER been known for its defence around in ne year to have perhaps the top or second best defensive side in the sxv- a huge turnaround in one year.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Tue 01 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

Wasn their first decision to make Ali Williams the captain? Not sure that augers well...

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 01 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

Yeah I dont get it. Whats Mealamu done wrong? It cant be that they want someone younger. Dont get that one. Ali seems to have influence over some people as his rugby has been dour for years- including sxv last year. Was shocking.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Tue 01 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

Still don't get what he was doing on the EOYT. Did he play a minute of it?

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:08 am

Freddie Burns and Twelvetrees to have established themselves by the end of the summer tour. England will realise in Argentina just how much we need some cover for Dan Cole at TH.

Wish List - JSD to get a shot in the England side (or Lions)

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:25 am

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:Still don't get what he was doing on the EOYT. Did he play a minute of it?

Hes been carrying an injury and played the Italy and England games I think- poorly as well.
Hore has established the position but Mealamus been captain of the Blues for some time. Perhaps hes going overseas or its just a changing of the Lam/ Mealamu guard.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:35 am

Super 15 - Reds
4N - SA
6N - Ireland
T14 - Toulon
AP - Saracens
Pro 12 - Leinster
H Cup - Clermont
Lions - Australia
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 02 Jan 2013, 1:11 am

6N - France (probably no slam)
4N - NZ
HC - ASM Clermont Auvergne
ACC - ?? One of the teams dropping in from the HC (as in the last 3 seasons)
AP - Quins
S15 - Sharks
Pro 12 - Munster
T14 - ASM Clermont Auvergne

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:35 am

LI to be relegated
Saracens Jeff champs
Leinster pro12 champs (ooh controversial)
Tolon buy the heineken cup on a 3 year deal worth £20 and a bag of smarties (yeah they normaly come in tubes but Toulon can do anything) to save them the bother of winning it
The Pope confirms Wilkos Sainthood after he performs the miracle of captaining the Lions without even being picked.
Wales finish 4th in the 6 nations
Jerry Guscott sacks his column writer after reading the nonsense published in hs name

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:25 am

6N - Wales
4N - S Africa
Pro 12 - Ospreys
S15 - Bulls

Who's the pope?
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:I predict trouble for South Africa. They are clearly in reluctant transition again to "new rugby" but as history has shown us twice already, if they don't win early and well then there will be reversion and this could lead to stagnation and disharmony, again. Can they cross the threshold this time? They will be an altogether more formidable force if they can.

NZ too are in flux, a strong year in 2012 almost disguised some issues that became glaring at twickenham. "Controlled mongrel" is missing in the pack. Kaino and thorn have left holes hard to fill, and with reports that kaino has shed 8kg to keep up with faster paced less physical Japanese club rugby a solution is not apparent in the short term.

I predict a big year for the NH. The lions should out muscle the struggling wallabies who without sharpe really lack a front five of genuine international
quality.

Both the lions nd France tour will add spice and relegate the 6N and 4N from their preeminent peaks.

I pick NZ for the 4N and I suspect Wales and France to play off for grandslam rights.

England for me are flattering themselves after their circumstantial win at twickenham and I can see a shock in store in the 6N for them and a rough landing. Wales to recover from last years low with returning players and a move away from their reliance in the power and size game with both Williams becoming world class talking points.

Another report about Kaino was that when he rocked up to play for Toyota, he expected to get a car,but no he had to buy his own, so he bought a Toyota.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 9:12 am

Happy New Year All,Super 15 the Australian has all the advantages and a guaranteed play off place.Note no one rates the Crusaders the MOST consistent team in the competion.They have played without Carter and McCaw for most of the last 2 seasons and have able substitutes in Todd and Taylor.Blues this year will if stay clear of injuries be better than last year.Highlanders with reinforcements plus a fit Slade could be a problem what happened to Thomson has he gone to Japan?
Chiefs without SBW who knows? Hurricanes are usually there abouts the NZ sides look better all around than for years.
NZ to win the 4Ns,beat France,clean sweep AI`s lose the regulation 2 Games probably one to France.Expect to see T.J Perenara to wear Black,Kahui if he stays fit back in the mix.
4Ns will be much closer probably a 5-1,or 4-2 job maybe even bonus points SA and Aus will be much tougher.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Who's the pope?

BODS PR chap

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:38 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
ThePantomimeVillain wrote:I predict trouble for South Africa. They are clearly in reluctant transition again to "new rugby" but as history has shown us twice already, if they don't win early and well then there will be reversion and this could lead to stagnation and disharmony, again. Can they cross the threshold this time? They will be an altogether more formidable force if they can.

quality.

Another report about Kaino was that when he rocked up to play for Toyota, he expected to get a car,but no he had to buy his own, so he bought a Toyota.

You could be right. But I got it from his twitter feed, so I assumed he was telling the truth.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:40 pm

I don't think there'll be a grand-slam, I think that the winner of Scotland vs England will win the six-nations.
Quins will win the Aviva.
Glasgow will win the Rabo
Clermont will win the Heineken
NZ will win the 4N

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:49 pm

- Inverdale will realise he is aging and agree to 4 unbuttoned shirt buttons only whilst appearing on television.

- Guscott's new autobiography "I Can't Understand How I Became Such A Cockchomper" will be realised to critical acclaim.

- Scott Johnson will get the part of the hunter in the remake of 'True Grit' without even having to audition.

- Owen Farrell will start to shave.

- Leigh Halfpenny will undergo a new Polish cryo-surgery process to make him seven inches taller. Gatland will pronouce himself "quite pleased".

- Ulster will win the Rabo by beating Munster 139-3 in the Grand Final.

- Chris Robshaw will be offered a three picture deal alongside Jason Statham in the new franchise "Two Hard But Surprisingly Pretty English Barstewards".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:50 pm

123456789 wrote:I don't think there'll be a grand-slam, I think that the winner of Scotland vs England will win the six-nations.

So thats England then?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:54 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
123456789 wrote:I don't think there'll be a grand-slam, I think that the winner of Scotland vs England will win the six-nations.

So thats England then?

Most probably but if Scotland beat England at Twickenham then it will mean something special has happened and the Scottish players will have grown a backbone and confidence and to say England will win is something I struggle to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 12:56 pm

Who knows? Maybe England will be struck down with norovirus that week?

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

Catastrophe will strike as JD becomes overly excited about the welsh line speed. His voice will hit the resonant frequency of the commentary booth glass. As it shatters it will be revealed that the punditry does not really take place overlooking the millennium stadium at all, but inside a hollowed out volcano.

Wirh the glass gone, it will be possible to Faintly make out the voice of Andy Gray calling "I'm not actually dead, just very badly burned"

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

Pantomimes/ awop/ grey ghost meltdown on here when the internationals start again.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:52 pm

I predict increasing use of the 'ignore' function (set to foe) leading to more general peace but lots of odd threads with seemingly random comments

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

6N - France (No GS, typical twickers loss)
4N - NZ
Pro 12 - Ulster
Aviva - Tigers

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:03 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
Who's the pope?

BODS PR chap

Tee hee!
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 02 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

6N - Les Bleus grand slam
4N - NZ
HC - Clermont
Amlin - Leinster
Rabo - Ulster
S15 - Crusaiders
AP - Leicester
Lions Tour - Lions whitewash 3-0
T14 - Toulon

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:22 pm

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:Who knows? Maybe England will be struck down with norovirus that week?

allright awop- how ya been pal?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

6N- France, unfortunately
4N- New Zealand
Lions- Lions 2-1
AP- Tigers win playoffs, Quins top League
LV= - who cares?
T14- Toulon
HEC- ASM
Rabo- Ulster
Super15- Stormers
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

6n = england..

cant believe so many going for france...

france are in good form but lets be honest - this is a team that rarely strings more than two good games together

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:6n = england..

france are in good form but lets be honest - this is a team that rarely strings more than two good games together

Whereas the other 6n have been super consistent. I see your point.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:50 pm

ThePantomimeVillain wrote:

Whereas the other 6n have been super consistent. I see your point.

Certainly wales have been since the last 6 nations

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ThePantomimeVillain Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

Steady on PSW.

ThePantomimeVillain

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

well anyway i cant see past england.. Its the safe bet.. They are the only team i can see slamming, and if they dont -having italy away gives them the massive advantage over france for points scoring(france are away to italy). Add to that england play france at home..

Maybe peops havent checked out the fixtures!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

I think the main reason people have gone for France in the 6N IS because of the fixtures. England have Ireland and Wales away - not two places we have a great track record over recent years.

My only hope is that England have a quite different team and mentality to two years ago. But even if Ireland and Wales are not having a great 6N, they will up their game for England.

Last edited by Hound_of_Harrow on Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

This doesn't look like the France of old to be honest, I think they're finally stringing together some consistency after so nearly missing out in 2011. Its not the Lievremont schizophrenia anymore, its more solid consistency, well not just solid, very good consistency, you only need look at how strong the French club sides are this year too to realise this'll be a tough 6Ns for England to win over les bleus. So my money is still on France. The only other real contenders are Ireland and they're all practically OAPs.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:42 pm

however good france are i really honestly cant see them beating england at twickenham.

I have to suggest that england will win at least one of the away games against ireland or wales..

then england have italy at home- thats a plus 35 pts.. france have them away- thats a plus 10!

england up on pts diff by 30 for my money..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 7:50 pm

I think its fair to say it'll be a tight 6n. Its an interesting fixture list because there could be so many twists. If Wales adopt a good game plan and have bit of luck with injuries, they have a good chance with England and Ireland crucially at home, then the 3 Blues away. The only game I genuinely struggle to imagine us winning is France away. All the others are winnable games that I still think we have a genuine chance of winning. Its probably the same mindset for England and Ireland fans when looking at their fixtures.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:47 pm

I see mystirs thinking there, and for me England are slight favs over France.

But then I see an Irish team on the horizon full of verve and swagger, a lot of those younger players are looking very sharp, some of the older heads will be back and 3 of their 4 provinces are looking particularly strong with Irishmen in key decision making roles.

If I had to put money on the 6N right now I'd give it as a free for all, everyone beating everyone but England to nick it on points.

That said rule the Welsh team out at your peril, they will certainly not be as bad this 6N as they were in the autumn, and will have a much healthier looking injury list and squad. I think they have the capability to beat England with ease in the MS, if at their best!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm

its very tight in the betting..

only a couple of pts seperate france,england,irelnad and wales..

and its 1/2 for a non gs..

Its gonna be about pts.. so England having scotland and italy at home could be the difference.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:01 pm

France are slightly more consistent. Since the WCup final theyve played 10, their biggest lost of 3 by 7 points. England have lost 5 and drawn one from 12 with results that show less consistency.

They also have the pressure of backing up against the ABs as its easy motivation for the rest, playing a side that thrashed the ABs. We'll see how England handle that pressure and France ae the sort of side to knock anyone with a touch of complacency.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:13 pm

Taylorman wrote:France are slightly more consistent. Since the WCup final theyve played 10, their biggest lost of 3 by 7 points. England have lost 5 and drawn one from 12 with results that show less consistency.

They also have the pressure of backing up against the ABs as its easy motivation for the rest, playing a side that thrashed the ABs. We'll see how England handle that pressure and France ae the sort of side to knock anyone with a touch of complacency.

But then England have played much tougher opposition, France only had one win against a top 6 team in 2012...England 3 and a draw.
So yes perhaps France are more consistent, they havent quite had the highs England have had, but I wouldnt say theyve had better results or performances.
However I still fancy them to take the title, the toughest game on their schedule is away to england and even if they lose that England will be hard pressed to win away in Ireland and Wales. They are the obvious two strong teams...but Wales and ireland shouldnt be discounted either.
So its pretty much the same as every year really, fine margins between a grandslam and a 3-2 record. Plenty of teams in it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:16 pm

I think its a case of this year being a year where anyone can beat anyone. I honestly can't see a GS this year because every team is pretty well matches. Can't wait for it to start now.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm

France certainly appear to be the best team in the NH atm but I'm not sure if they can overcome England at Twickers.
As it was last year, Wales vs Ireland on the opening weekend could be a very important game. Wales will have to go to France but Ireland have England and France at home and with a bit of confidence they have a real shot. Although they are not quite the players they once were I think Ireland could still miss BOD and POC with their leadership etc. Sexton to fill their boots?
Wales were definitely overhyped at RWC 2011 but to be fair were head and shoulders above all else in the 6N - this year however I think they will win three matches out of five.
England are making undoubted progress and I give them the best chance this year but it really is up in the air. Despite that, I predict a Grand Slam.
After all, "it's all about momentum." Run
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 02 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

Key match this year will def be Ireland v England in Dublin, if England manage to win this game I fancy them to win the 6N all out, I think they have the beating of France in Twickers, and come the MS last up if England have anything to play for and Wales don't then it'll be one way.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next