The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

County predictions 2013

4 posters

Go down

County predictions 2013 Empty County predictions 2013

Post by Shelsey93 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

I've written my predictions for Deep Extra Cover (Surrey supporters are advised to skip straight to the YB40 section!):

http://deepextracover.com/home/deep-extra-cover-2013-predictions-jack-sheldon/

What do other people think?

------

Also, I'm attending Middlesex's press day for DEC on the 8th, where I'm hoping to be able to grab quick interviews with Paul Stirling and Toby Roland-Jones. I have a few questions in my head, but does anyone here have any ideas?

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

County predictions 2013 Empty Re: County predictions 2013

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm

Shelsey - interesting prediction of Yorks to win the Div 1 title from Middlesex. Have Middlesex done anything to strengthen their spin department? If not, I can see them coming up a bit short, but certainly in the top half.

Maybe Warks will lack that last 5% of hunger to follow up last year's success, but I can still see them finishing top.

Sadly, I can see Surrey struggling - experience is all very well but too many players are some way past their best (the Brain, Solanki, Lewis, Keedy(?)). Not many are really in their prime (Meaker getting there, and hopefully Davies will have fully recovered from traumas of last season). I think we will avoid relegation again - but can't see us doing much more than that in the cc.

I don't think Somerset will mount a realistic challenge this year.

Can see Durham and Derby getting relegated.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:56 pm

The spin is a concern - and perhaps why I see Yorkshire pipping Middx at the post. Ollie Rayner does a good holding job early season (when Murtagh, TRJ, Brooks, Finn for a couple of games, Collymore will bowl lots of overs anyway). Ravi Patel is promising apparently - I haven't actually seen him bowl.

That second relegation slot was tough to call. A few saying Durham, but I think Colly's too good a leader to send them down. (before someone says surely Smith's an even better leader, I have concerns about whether his heart will be in it. SA have played a lot of cricket recently, and I'm not sure he'll be able to display the same passion for Surrey that does for SA).

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:44 pm

I find it hard to look beyond Warks for the CC title.

Spoke to Fists on the 'County Ins and Outs' thread yesterday about their likely lineup. Great strength by county standards and unlikely to be much interrupted by international calls.

I believe Smith is serious about Surrey and will probably outlast Adams at the Oval. That said, I do fear that their batting could be wobbly. There's quite a bit of expectation that Burns and Harinath will repeat their unanticipated success of last year - I worry how reasonable that is.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:27 pm

A lot will depend on Graeme Smith's form....if he struggles then it could be a long season for surrey.

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Nice preview Shelsey. I have my doubts about Yorkshire and primarily the batting line-up. Only really Jaques can be relied upon for runs with McGrath retired. Lyth is up and down, Gale has been off form for 2 years and Lees is talented but inexperienced. A lot will depend the England call-ups, including the Lions as Ballance, Bairstow and Root could miss a lot. The bowling looks good though and I agree Bresnan will be available a fair bit although England seem to send our bowlers back in a worse position than when they selected them.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Less than total harmony at Yorks, with some unguarded comments by Rashid from back in January now being produced by the media.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Rashid had to apologise. I can understand his predicament: whilst Yorks is a tremendous county to be at in my opinion his career hasn't really developed. There are quite a few counties with very few spin options at all (Notts, Middx and quite a few Div 2) but he has to compete with the fast developing and perhaps more reliable Rafiq.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Looking very good at the moment your prediction Shelsey! You were spot on about Brooks to. I can see him becoming a bit of a cult hero at Yorkshire very quickly.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri May 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Still early days, but Division One teams performing just about as I expected. Whistle

Looks like I might be a bit off with Div Two this year though...

Middlesex will climb back to the top with the draw tomorrow, but unless they can pull off a win somehow Yorkshire will be right with them. Warwickshire will be starting to slip back - they'll be behind and will have played 1 more than the top 2.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down