The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Stalker

5 posters

Go down

Tom Stalker Empty Tom Stalker

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 09 Jan 2013, 2:30 pm

Tom Stalker has decided to turn professional with Match Room http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8386940/Tom-Stalker-brings-an-end-to-his-days-as-an-amateur

I say good luck to him and he made the right move!

I thought he got jobbed in the Olympics and even if he trainied for Rio in 4 years there is no telling whether he would get jobbed again. Mayweather and Jones are but a few high profile names who have suffered.

What do you guys think of the move?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Tom Stalker Empty Re: Tom Stalker

Post by manos de piedra Wed 09 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm

I think he would have been better off staying amateur myself. The funding and support is good and without a medal and being relatively old Im not sure what kind of career Stalker can realistically have in financial terms.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:51 pm

I'm glad he's joined matchroom as he should get plenty of regular fights

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 10 Jan 2013, 9:56 pm

He's 28. I doubt he'll get beyond British level. But good luck to him. Hope he proves me wrong.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

His age is a problem in terms of career progression, but i do think he can achieve british, commonwealth and european titles by 34, gives him 6 years, but dont think he will push for world titles.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 16 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

Is the money at domestic level really good enough to tempt an Olympian to go pro though unless they had real ambitions for world titles, or were being given a juicy sign on bonus from a promoter?

Given that the amateur boxing in the U.K is on a real high and getting great funding for its athletes, and given Stalker missed out on a medal previously, I really dont see the great temptation to go pro?

Possibly he is extremelly confident he can go far in the pro game. But if one felt that domestic was maybe the furthest they could go then I wouldnt really advise it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down