The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK?

+7
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
BoxingFan88
hampo17
Seanusarrilius
Rowley
CDSPHeron
11 posters

Go down

If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK? Empty If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK?

Post by CDSPHeron Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:25

These two seem destined to clash in 2013 provided both men continue to win but simply, if Burns topples Vazquez and becomes a two belt holder could he then lure Broner over to these shores for a mega unification fight?

I'd love to see it! The quietly spoken, two weight, two belt holder from Scotland, fighting the brash, cocky American who appears to be boxing's next big thing! The UK hasn't had a fight quite like it for sometime!

If he could entice Broner to the UK what difference do we feel this could make to the out come of the fight? I feel it's fare to say Broner would be a heavy betting favourite but with home advantage, a large crowd behind him, maybe............just maybe.

CDSPHeron

Back to top Go down

If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK? Empty Re: If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK?

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:42

Would be nice to think it would happen but you have to suspect the economics of it would dictate it will be in the states. The PPV revenue tend to make it difficult for any other location to compete financially with Vegas. Is a pity though because personally I feel it would help the profile and popularity of the sport if the sports biggest stars fought overseas with a little more frequency.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK? Empty Re: If Burns beats Vazquez could we see Broner fight in the UK?

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:43

nope. Will be on HBO. If Burns beats Vasquez he adds 100k to 200k on his HBO purse for fighting Broner, I would imagine

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:44

Would be interesting as you'd hink Burns would bring more to the table holding two belts but money talks and this fight is a nailed on cert for Vegas.

Last edited by hampo171 on Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:52; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 20:51

Broner said he would come to the UK, regardless of where the fight takes place, I can't see a different outcome.

Broner is a superstar in the making, that destruction of DeMarco was something pretty special.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by CDSPHeron Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:45

Broner offered to fight Burns in the UK in Dec after Walsh and Ocampo both pulled out fighting Burns. Golden Boy also said a fight between the pair would likely take place in Atlantic City so no Vegas l'm afraid.

Does anyone feel the fight would be more marketable in the UK than the US? Burns, although by this time could hold both the IBF and WBO belts isn't well known across the pond where as Broner, as Boxingfan88 states, is a superstar in the making and popular with boxing fans in the UK - his next fight against Ree's will also gain him more UK exposure.

The UK doesn't host bouts like these as often as they should and with a Broner willing to travel could Burns and his team not push for home advantage if the finances stack up? How often will Broner travel in a few years? This could be an opportunity to get a special talent over here for a potentially hugh unification fight.

CDSPHeron

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:48

He's not a superstar.....

Less of the hyperbole..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by CDSPHeron Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:51

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's not a superstar.....

Less of the hyperbole..

"Superstar in the making"

CDSPHeron

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:52

I can't see the fight taking place anywhere other than in the States, regardless of whether Burns goes in to it as a unified WBO / IBF kingpin or not. I tend not to take it at all seriously when I hear American pound for pound figures giving it the 'I'd love to fight in the UK, I love the country and the fans' routine. Jones Jr said it for years. So did Hopkins. So has Floyd. Nary a fight on these shores between them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:52

He isn't.......

Boxing's last superstar was Mike Tyson.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:54

Think Mayweather may disagree there, the worlds most valuable sportsmen for 2011 and 2010.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:56

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He isn't.......

Boxing's last superstar was Mike Tyson Oscar de la Hoya.......

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 21:57

Not talking about money....,.Basketball players earn millions too !!

A superstar is a person who transcends the game.......

Most women over here haven't heard of delaHoya, Mayweather and Paccy...

Everybody knows who Tyson is......."Who do you think you are Tyson"

He's the last superstar...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by CDSPHeron Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 22:01

I'II remind you of this Chris when Hopkins fights Cleverly in Wales. Wink

CDSPHeron

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 22:05

Hoppo is nearly 50 and still too much of a threat!!!!

He's fighting Bob Foster next....in the tried and tested WARREN FORMULA"

can see it now....."He's a legend you know..and Clev has become one by beating him"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 22:08

Well Mayweather consistently sells over 1.4mil PPVs Truss so would have to disagree, may not be on the Tyson level but he alongside De La Hoya and Pacquiao are/were superstars of the sport.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Jan 2013 - 22:11

I'm thinking superstar...:

Michael Jordan...Tiger Woods......

Depends on how we view the term "Superstar"...I guess.

Maybe CDSP is right...

There is a first time for everything!! Wink Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 0:17

Although not impossible it's highly unlikely the fight will take place in the UK. Granted burns is a big draw in Scotland but doesn't have as many fans as Broner has and doesn't do have as big viewing figures

The fight won't take place untill September by which time Broner's profile will have further improved. Assuming he gets through Rees like he's expected to, he is going to be put on the Floyd-Guerrero card in may. Add into the fact that Canelo will be on the card against either Trout or Cotto than lots of people will pay to watch this card. Broner will be on 24/7 too meaning that unless burns gets a huge surge in followers his profile and bargaining power will be less than Broners which his why I don't feel Warren will want the fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 12:29

Stick Cotto on that card and people will start drifting off. Cotto is done and dusted

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 16:27

DAVE667 wrote:Stick Cotto on that card and people will start drifting off. Cotto is done and dusted

Whilst that may be right, (Although I don't think he's completely done) An Alvarez Cotto fight would actually still be mightily entertaining.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 17:02

Broner has an audience back home.....He has the networks......Don't think Warren has the audience or the money to entice him over....

Broner would win the purse bids........

Besides can Broner win over here...unless he knocks him out.????

Burns will have to go to the States..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 17:08

HBO will still end up paying good money for the fight even if it's in England or Scotland. And yes, Broner can win over here.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 17:16

No...He's a big name why take the risk!!!

Mayweather and Pacman had an audience waiting for them over here!!!

Burns is small fry he can go to the States....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 17:26

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No...He's a big name why take the risk!!!

Mayweather and Pacman had an audience waiting for them over here!!!

Burns is small fry he can go to the States....

Without a shadow of a doubt, if the fight is going to happen it I'm 95% sure it will be in America, however I was more or less just stating that it would actually work both ways if they wanted it to.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013 - 17:27

Logistically be easier in America...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down