The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broner vs Burns

+21
Captain Charisma
Lumbering_Jack
mikeymax71
Unbeatable Georgey Groves
WelshDevilRob
The Galveston Giant
licence_007
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AlexHuckerby
oxring
captain carrantuohil
djrogo
HumanWindmill
6oldenbhoy
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Jimmythebullet
eddyfightfan
Dass
Rowley
Daz
bellchees
25 posters

Go down

Broner vs Burns Empty Broner vs Burns

Post by bellchees Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Just seen this article from Ring Magazine and it is rumoured that Broner will be made mandatory challenger for the WBO title held by Burns. I can only see Broner winning the fight if it is made, probably inside the distance, what do you guys think?

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/168223-broner-apparently-becomes-mandatory-challenger-for-wbo-title

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Broner vs Burns Empty Re: Broner vs Burns

Post by Daz Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Very very tough for Burns. Could lose his title here! Crying or Very sad

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Tough ask for Ricky, however his last three defences have hardly been top drawer so is only reasonable to expect him to fight someone of ability at some point sooner rather than later

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Its how Burns handles Broner when he starts to unload the punches that interests me the most as I think otherwise Burns can outbox him.

Tough fight but I'm nailing my colours to the mast and going for Burns in this.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Dass wrote:Its how Burns handles Broner when he starts to unload the punches that interests me the most as I think otherwise Burns can outbox him.

Tough fight but I'm nailing my colours to the mast and going for Burns in this.

Brave man.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

have to be honest not seen anything of broner, his record look a little protected up till his last two fights, but reading your comments he must be half decent. glad burns is getting tested and warren getting forced into tough defences, but with his pull with the WBO i think warren might be able to wangle his way out of this one if he decides against it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 pm

if the WBO force the mandatory defence then he wont have a choice will he, werent his last few defences voluntary?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Warren will probably exert his influence that he has on the WBO to avoid this in the near future

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:28 pm

Am going to stick my neck and go for a Burns UD here, especially in Scotland.

Broner record does look padded and although he blasted Litzu out( Litzu known for having a dodgy chin), Burns has got a good set of whiskers. I reckon he would ride the early storm and out box Broner to 116-112 decision

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:29 pm

djrogo wrote:can you really see that taig Burns fighting Broner? just like his previous defences, he will be fighting an opponent who doesn't deserve a shot. i think he'll fight Alex Arthur.

Can somebody ban this clown. This is the second time he has spouted this sectarian muck.

Last edited by 6oldenbhoy on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:31 pm

im agreeing with you there fortune, im backing burns to pull off another martinez upset, i think burns although limited is boxing at the top of his game, its just a shame frank is giving him soft fights. i expect him to step up to the mark.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:37 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:im agreeing with you there fortune, im backing burns to pull off another martinez upset, i think burns although limited is boxing at the top of his game, its just a shame frank is giving him soft fights. i expect him to step up to the mark.

I know his last few fights his opposition has been poor. But you can only beat who is put in front of you. Warren wanted and Burns v Appleby all Scottish showdown until he got outworked by Layrea, hence Layrea got the shot.

Broner looks very muscle bound and not sure if that could work against him fighting someone like Burns who has got a good chin and is always in your face throwning punches, unless he can get Burns out of there, he would get outworked for a decision IMO thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:45 pm

djrogo wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
djrogo wrote:EDITED OFFENDING CONTENT i think he'll fight Alex Arthur.

Can somebody ban this clown. This is the second time he has spouted this sectarian muck.

EDITED OFFENDING COMMENT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taig

Clearly is sectarian. Again can somebody ban this idiot?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Cut the sectarian stuff.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by djrogo Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

[quote="6oldenbhoy"]
djrogo wrote:
6oldenbhoy wrote:
djrogo wrote:EDITED OFFENDING CONTENT i think he'll fight Alex Arthur.

EDITED OFFENDING COMMENT

Clearly is sectarian. Again can somebody ban this idiot?

last time I checked, Ricky Burns wasn't Irish. He only wishes he was.

djrogo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:57 pm

There's no need to use the word it enhances the discussion in no way at all and is clearly sectarian based in its uses. Ricky Burns does happen to be a Celtic fan though and the idiotic Old Firm contingent would happily use the word in its sectarian roots without Burns having to be Irish.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:07 pm

The perpetrator of the sectarian insult appears to have no use for this board but as a vehicle for sectarian jibes (three for three, as the Americans would say). As the board isn't a forum for bigotry and general abuse, I can't see why he isn't banned sine die.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:25 pm

djrogo wrote:last time I checked, Ricky Burns wasn't Irish. He only wishes he was.

You've been warned once already. Last time.

Cut the sectarian stuff or leave.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:37 pm

You guys that think Burns can beat Broner are in for a bit of a shock... I get a feeling you haven't seen Broner as much as I have because if you have you would give Burns a very small outside chance, don't think he can outbox him and think he will be knocked out very fast, prediction Broner knockout 5th, can't see him lasting to the second half of the fight, he will be up for this and he is gonna have way too much for Burns, Ricky if you want to keep your title stay the hell away!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:07 pm

I like Burns a lot but can't see him getting past Broner who just looks like he has to much for Burns but like has been said if it's in Scotland another Martinez style of performance might be enough.

SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 pm

No way Kev, I actually think although he doesn't have the credentials to prove it I think that he is better than Martinez and Burns will be outclassed and I'm talking solidly! No doubt on this one boys ALL ABOARD THE BRONER HYPE TRAIN! :P

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:16 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:No way Kev, I actually think although he doesn't have the credentials to prove it I think that he is better than Martinez and Burns will be outclassed and I'm talking solidly! No doubt on this one boys ALL ABOARD THE BRONER HYPE TRAIN! :P

I think Broner is better than Martinez as well but if it was in Glasgow and Burns could pull off something like he did against Martinez it's not impossible. Highly unlikely though. Is their any room aboard that train?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Hop on Kev, I read that you don't take up too much room kiss
But yeah I guess you never know, however Broner has fought Mexicans in Mexico before, though they won't be anything compared to a Glaswegian crowd getting behind there man!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:25 pm

Any fights in particular to scout out Broner so I can form an opinion?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Daniel Le Ponce - he struggled in the fight but Le Ponce was 41 -2 I believe and was a tough nights work for anyone, He sparked Litzau in a round who was pretty much a world level opponent have a look at his boxrec seen him knock out most sparko in seconds flat aswell

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 pm

licence_007 wrote:Any fights in particular to scout out Broner so I can form an opinion?

Probably the Ponce De Leon fight. Never looked his best but dealt with an experienced guy pretty well. Not many of his other fights have lasted that long or been a decent level to get a good look at him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 pm

Mainly because he really is a lightning fast thunderous puncher, looks absolutely HUGE at the weight couldn't believe he was SFW when I first saw him genuinely thought he was a WW

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I'll check them out tonight, cheers guys.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:47 pm

Looking forward to a Burns fight for once, tough ask but he's still improving, a win will put him firmly on the world stage, nice fight. Will check out the De Leon fight as he's tough as old boots.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Burns has had it relatively easy since winning the belt but this will be a tough task. I favour Broner to take the belt.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:40 am

R.I.P Ricky Burns Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:42 am

Broner is built like Andre Berto but boxes in a similar way to 'Money' Mayweather but with power. I can see why people think Burns could win as Broner does not put it all on the line for he full 3 minutes of a round like Floyd, however, it's when he chooses to open up and let his hands go he is very dangerous. If the fight was held in Scotland and Ricky can be competitive in the early rounds without shipping too many then in the latter stages he could ask some questions.

But as Broner is only 21 and only getting stronger it could prove to be a level too far for Burns. A brave Ricky to pick himself off the floor a couple of time to lose by UD or late stoppage.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:32 pm

I think this would be competitive for a few rounds with Burns applying some pressure (through his arm punching, needs to correct this). Broner has a bit of a dig and Burns is not exactly iron chinned, he struggled with pressure as well.

Broner to step up the pace around round 5/6 and stop him not long after.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Unbeatable Georgey Groves Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:10 am

It would probably be an earlier KO, maybe round 5 AT THE LATEST! No way in hell Burns can handle Broners devastating power and speed with both hands.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Charisma Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 am

If its in America Broner would prob win...but in the UK you'd never know.I wouldn't write Burns off on a few easy defences thus far and Broners KO of Litzau proves that Litzau is a premier hot/cold fighter.

Can i get on this hype train for Broner ???? Is there a return ticket?

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:51 pm

For how poor this SFW division is, Broner sounds like a maniac...

I think I have an article about him in a boxing magazine actually, referred to as a mini-Tyson, might be wrong though, I'll have to look about.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:29 pm

He is very good and has a massive dig and is getting better with every fight let's not forget he's still slightly green although the ponce De Leon would have taught him a great deal, especially against a tough almost veteran like guy in De Leon. I just don't see what Burns can hurt Broner with, Broner is so much faster stronger physically and digs far harder, has better boxing fundamentals and does everything that Burns can do except faster and harder, just don't really see what Burns can do apart from give it everything he's got. I fear that this will not be enough however for the young Scot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Ricky will need to put in the performance of his life but I'm sure he can do it.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm

Just had a brief chat with Adrien Broner on Twitter. He said that if the money is right he will come over to the UK for the title shot against Burns, and said 'I will crush that guy'.

Seems like a bit of a character does Broner!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:07 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Just had a brief chat with Adrien Broner on Twitter. He said that if the money is right he will come over to the UK for the title shot against Burns, and said 'I will crush that guy'.

Seems like a bit of a character does Broner!

He's not short of confidence is he. Would be great if he came over here for the fight but I still only see one outcome and that's Broner taking the belt home with him.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:44 am

like many hype trains, i think this one is running away a little. He's a big super feather who can box and can certainly dig. But Litzau has been sparked before, and frankly ponce was a career super bantam who only recently moved to feather... a smaller man than broner as was clear in the fight. Oh and it was a contentious decision. I thought he won, but it wasn't comfortable.

Clearly he's a handfull, but nothing to show he's the second coming yet to me. Still be favourite against burns obviousy, though you write ricky off at your peril

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 pm

He seems to be generating the same hype Lacy did. Big guy knockout merch and the americans think is the next coming of Tyson, and I have seen him refered to as a mini Tyson other then on here.

Daniel Ponce de Leon was unlucky not to get the nod in there fight (could have went either way, not a robbery by any means) and he is not even a natural SFW.

What I've seen on Ring Facebook page is that they all think he would spank Burns in a round. They will be in for a rude awakening if that is the case.

I think Burn would drag him into the trenches and box him to a UD by 4 rounds if in the UK.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:36 pm

I think there's a lot of hype because he has only just turned 22 and already has 2 really good wins on his record against Daniel Ponce de Leon and Litzau. Also he has a lot of the tools that can't be taught, genuine speed and power and also he is a pretty massive Super Featherweight. I don't see the Tyson comparisons as Broner does a lot of counter punching with single shots rather than coming forward. I think against Burns he'd need to let his hands go more than he did against Ponce de Leon, I've only seen the fight once but I remember thinking that he was letting rounds slip away just by being inactive and looking for a one punch KO. On a side note how one judge scored that fight 99-91 to Broner is beyond me.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Broner isn't mega aggressive really. He's a counter puncher, I don't see how on EARTH Burns takes him into the trenches...

I would be suprised if Burns could apply effective pressure, Broner digs really hard and isn't just a come forward I'm gonna spark you Lacy character. He has real craft and guile and the De Leon fight came too early against such an experienced veteran, no doubt Burns is still getting better but so is Broner, and I already feel Broner has gotten past Burns in terms of skill.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Broner vs Burns Empty Burns vs Broner?

Post by themadworldofjb Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Well well,

Ricky Burns may face the toughest test of his career in Spetember when he faces classy American Adrian Broner.

Schaefer has been bigging this bout up and it may happen on September 16th. He says hes flying to meet Frank about it.

If this comes off, this would be easily the biggest fight of Burns career. Broner has wins over Ponce De Leon and Litzau so Burns will have to be careful. I really hope he can pull it off and put another American Hype Job down a few levels. Broner is good but believes hes better than he is.

Heres the Boxing Scene link about it

http://www.boxingscene.com/ricky-burns-adrien-broner-happen-says-schaefer--42476
themadworldofjb
themadworldofjb

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:33 pm

Just going to merge this with the other thread on it, mate.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Broner wins inside the distance, for me, stopping a brave Ricky on his feet.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down