The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy

+2
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Green Giant
6 posters

Go down

Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy Empty Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy

Post by Green Giant Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Many especially in America are suprised that Warren would put Burns in with the young brash American in the form of Broner and many claim he still wont. Burns has not been ordered to fight his mandotory and does not need to until at least another fight. But according to Warren and Golden Boy Promotions talks are already taken place as we speak and that a november date is being set for Burns to be 'fed' to Broner. The fight is expected to be placed in the US in a co headlining show for HBO.

Now this aura is reminiscent to a certain 2006 fight between a young, confident American and an expierienced world champion hailing from the British isles. Their names were Jeff lacy and Joe Calzaghe. One was held as the miniture tyson, the other an old overprotected champion who was finally willing to be dethroned. Americans who fancied Calzaghe were laughed at and Britons branded blinded patriots.

Lacy was destroyed.

Warren has been in this business along time, far longer than his Golden Boy counterparts who have been critised lately for their handling of young fighters. He knows the difference between hype and the real thing, and has made a career out of exploiting the former and avoiding the latter. Whether the hype is the overstated abilities of a young up and comer or the unseen disminished abilities of an old champion, Warren has an undoubtable eye for the true substance of a fighters present worth.

Does he see Hype in Broners fists? Many will point to his win over daniel Ponce de leon, a fighter moving up in wait and those many cried robbery for when Broners hand was lifted at the end of ten rounds. They claim Broner hasnt fought a fighter the callibre of the previous champion Martinez like Burns has. Others will point to his first round knockout of Jason Litzau in his lastest outing.

Burns is no Calzaghe and no one will expect a lacyesqe performance. But the parrallels lay mainly in the perception of the outcome. Broner will be heavily favoured in the end despite what each mans record suggests. He faster, younger and brushes his hair in the middle of a fight, all qualities America appeciates in an African American fighter. And he will be expected to win.

Its up to Burns to show the world different.
Green Giant
Green Giant

Back to top Go down

Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy Empty Re: Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:13 pm

As you say, Burns is no Calzaghe but he seems to have grown in stature since becoming Champion. Whilst I think he's far from being the best SF out there, I think he makes the best of what he has and what he lacks in natural ability, he makes up for in determination and self belief.

It's only the fact that it's in the US that might cause a few hearts to flutter. This would be the biggest night of Burns' career and we have no idea how he will react on the big stage.

Back to top Go down

Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy Empty Re: Burns v Broner: A second class Calzaghe v lacy

Post by Green Giant Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:21 pm

DAVE667 wrote:As you say, Burns is no Calzaghe but he seems to have grown in stature since becoming Champion. Whilst I think he's far from being the best SF out there, I think he makes the best of what he has and what he lacks in natural ability, he makes up for in determination and self belief.

It's only the fact that it's in the US that might cause a few hearts to flutter. This would be the biggest night of Burns' career and we have no idea how he will react on the big stage.

Dave to be honest i think its the best fight at SFW out there. Fana has shown not interest in fighting burns or even fighting anyone. And i dont think any of the japs can have a claim over burns to be the best in the division. Its quite sad considering the talent we had there just afew years ago.
Green Giant
Green Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm

I agree but with no dosrespect intended to Burns, in the great pantheon of SF legends, Burns will be a footnote I fear. Nice guy and all but he's not about re-write history.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 pm

When it got mooted that Broner was Burns mandotory, I said I fancy Burns to win if the fight was in the UK.

Burns has got an underrated chin and has ammense stamina and workrate which would trouble a counter puncher who doesnt throw enough punches in Broner.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 am

to be fair to burns, i dont think many people gave him a chance against martinez, and he pulled the performance of a lifetime from the bag. maybe he can do it again.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

As much as I don't want to say this I think he will be crushed by Broner.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 am

Burns exceed expectations when he beat Martinez but I feel he has little chance here. If Broner was an agressive brawler then I could understand why this might be compared to the Calzaghe masterclass against Lacy. However, Broner is a very powerful counterpuncher with good boxing skills. The best way to describe him as an hybrid of Mayweather and Berto as far as his style is concerned but would accept that he does tend to coast during fights.

Ricky has the workrate to trouble Broner but I feel everytime that Adrian opens up he would have Ricky in trouble and score enough knockdowns to win a comfortable decision or stoppage.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

Hybrid of Floyd and Berto - FFS

Lacey was the mini Mike Tyson wasn't he?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 am

I never agreed with the assessment of Lacy, however, I was merely giving a guage of how Broner looks and fights and a world class boxer with better than average power will be too much for Burns.

Before fighting Lacy, Calzaghe had beaten several World champions in Eubank, Reid, Woodhall, Brewer, Mitchell and apart from Eubank they were all relatively close to their best days.

Lacy on the other hand had been very protected and was nothing like Tyson when it came to power.

For me style wise I would still say Broner has modelled himself on Floyd but puts a lot more power into his shots (and with the muscle bound physique easily comparable to Berto) but I am not labelling him as the next big thing like Lacy was. Just think his style and attributes are more than what Ricky can handle as Burns has only won one fight against a name fighter with anything left in the tank.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down