The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

khan vs bradley may have to wait

+10
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
OasisBFC
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Boxtthis
Duncan
AlexHuckerby
coxy0001
Liam_Main
Michaels, Sean
eddyfightfan
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

khan vs bradley may have to wait Empty khan vs bradley may have to wait

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 am

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/4/27/2136067/trouble-for-timothy-bradley-amir-khan-bradley-backing-out

although i don't actually beleive this (remember the same news 3 or 4 times with mccloskey) i think it wouldn't actually be a bad thing if the fight was postponed to the end of the year. the reason being i'd like to see khan take on judah and try and win the IBF title from him before a unifaction fight.

3 main reasons for this.....

1. khan got slated for his performance against mccloskey, but i think he did okay against a pretty awkward fighter. a fight in the summer against a world class opponent will restore some (waining) beleive in khan as well as boost his confidence.
2. it will mean khan comes into the bradley fight equally matched in terms of titles (khan:WBA/IBF bradley: WBC/WBO) which should help negotions as apparently bradley has refused a 1.4 million (according to twitter) offer, saying he's the man to beat.
3. more interest in the fight and longer to promote, because both fighter should try and make as much money from this fight as possible- as there won't be much for them to do at lightwelter after this fight, and if they both stepped up in weight neither man can just expect the same success as they've experienced at LWW, as there are some tough opponents (mayweather, pac man, ortiz, berto, mosley) to beat.

if this was the case bradley would need a opponent in the mean time, and i think prescott could be the ideal candidate- he would be an easy win for bradley, would put all the rematch talk between khan and mccloskey at bay and would get a lot of media attension rasing bradleys profile with little risk. his last match against alexander was a bit boring so this could raise the interest somewhat.

it would be great for boxing if this was to happen, but not very likely i admit. the point is if khan and bradley don't fight each other is anyone going to interested in whoever they decided to fight next? comments or thoughts please.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

khan vs bradley may have to wait Empty Re: khan vs bradley may have to wait

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:58 am

First proper unification fight in boxing for a while and it needs more promotion?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:22 am

just think people are becoming a bit unimpressed with khan and never really were that interested in bradley- and when they move up to welter unless they fight carefully selected opposition or improve greatly it could be a dead end for them. just think a IBF title from judah would stir up alot of interest in the fight and pull a massive PPV audience

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 am

IMO I would rather have the unification bout in the summer and then at the end of the year Khan fighting Judah if he wins.Then in 2012 he should move up,Khan doesn't need to rush into moving up.Theres big fights at LWW first.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:28 am

maybe i consider bradley the tougher challenge though

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:32 am

To be honest, not sure anyone gives a monkeys which belt who has nowadays. Such is the diluted influence they've had on who is really the man at the weight, the fans have their general 'man' and it doesn't really count who has what.

It's the calibre of opponent and competitiveness of the matchup that counts, not who holds what belt.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 am

To be fair, I would actually love to see Khan take on Judah before Bradley... I think it could be a tough fight, ultimately one that I think Khan will win, however will be very interesting to see what Khan does with someonewhere he doesn't necessarily have that much of a speed advantage if he even does have a speed advantage over Judah...
I think Bradley's walk forwards with better technical ability than Maidana is more suited to Khan personally and I can see him just doing what he did to Kotelnik to Bradley... Too mechanical, I know you would bring up Maidana but Maidana had more power and came with wild shots that can be difficult to deal with.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:57 am

Heard Eddie Hearn say Khan looked weight drained in the McCloskey fight.

I think Khan fights once more only at LWW
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 am

I did think the same about Khan fighting Judah first, would set it up nicely providing Khan wins.

But I think the sanctioning body’s would find away of stripping one of the titles, I was sure three belts where on the line when Bradley went to fight Alexander, then one ended up vacant, I could be corrected on that though!

Sadly you lost your way abit with the Bradley v Prescott idea…

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:07 am

Duncan wrote:I did think the same about Khan fighting Judah first, would set it up nicely providing Khan wins.

But I think the sanctioning body’s would find away of stripping one of the titles, I was sure three belts where on the line when Bradley went to fight Alexander, then one ended up vacant, I could be corrected on that though!

In the Alexander vs Bradley fight the vacant IBF belt was only on the line for Alexander not Bradley not 100 percent on the reason why though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am

Duncan wrote:I did think the same about Khan fighting Judah first, would set it up nicely providing Khan wins.

In the Alexander vs Bradley fight the vacant IBF belt was only on the line for Alexander not Bradley not 100 percent on the reason why though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:12 am

Liam_Main4 wrote:

Yeah I thought it was something like that, I knew Alexander retained the IBF belt in the Kotelnik fight, then some how it ended up vacant and Judah was fighting for it.

**insert usual rant about to many sanctioning body’s etc etc**

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:12 am

Khan vs either Judah or Bradley would do fine for me. Both highly competitive match ups. Both with 2 champions putting belts on the line.

Best just setting your sights towards any competitive fight - it's about all you can hope for these days as it seems to be a nigh on impossible task to get any actual number 1 and 2 contenders in the ring without months of preamble/moaning.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:14 am

was really an after thought to be honest as i was wondering who bradley would take in the mean time if khan fought judah, think the khan team would like that to happen to show prescott for what he is, but don't know who bradley could face- maybe maidana? would be a war but bit risky just before a unifaction fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 am

eddyfightfan wrote:

was really an after thought to be honest as i was wondering who bradley would take in the mean time if khan fought judah, think the khan team would like that to happen to show prescott for what he is, but don't know who bradley could face- maybe maidana? would be a war but bit risky just before a unifaction fight.

I think Maidana probably deserves another shot at it out of anyone, the super six has been abit two long winded but I like the idea of setting up straight semi final / final tournaments to unify titles, with as near as you possibly can to the top guys in the division.

So if you have Khan v Judah & Bradley v Maidana then 3/4 months later the winners fight each other to unify the division.
Obviously won’t actually happen though it makes far to much sense…

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 am

Duncan wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:

Yeah I thought it was something like that, I knew Alexander retained the IBF belt in the Kotelnik fight, then some how it ended up vacant and Judah was fighting for it.

**insert usual rant about to many sanctioning body’s etc etc**

Apparently "On October 22, 2010, Alexander was stripped of the IBF Junior Welterweight title for not fighting the no. 1 contender, Kaizer Mabuza."

I have a feeling they will always pull somthing like that...

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:38 am

Judah is to dangerous opponent to use to build up a fight imo he beats Khan and possibly Bradley. Khan doesn't have the speed advantage over Judah and Judah has the power to beat Khan.
Putting Bradley vs Khan off would be a bad idea look at what happened with Gamboa vs Lopez.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 pm

it needs to happen sonner rather than later.
judah is good, but he's had his day.

khan vs bradley should happen this summer, if khan wins he should look to move up.

if he loses, he then should fight judah for the IBF and move up.

lets face it, he's only gonna be a 140 fighter for so long, lets get it on with bradley. he's ready and he can win.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Judah is to dangerous opponent to use to build up a fight imo he beats Khan and possibly Bradley. Khan doesn't have the speed advantage over Judah and Judah has the power to beat Khan.
Putting Bradley vs Khan off would be a bad idea look at what happened with Gamboa vs Lopez.

Entangibles don't always win fights, it's not always about speed and power, it's about Boxing ability. Khan has much better boxing ability and a man that will tell him tthe tactics to use (Freddy Roach) He'll be able to hit and run in my opinion, I can't see Judah landing the big bombs to KO Khan. Khan has too much in the tank and especially if the fight goes to the mid rounds Judah tires waaaaaaaaaay faster than Khan. Khans boxing technique will see him through both the Bradley and Judah fights if they happen, I just think it will be someone like Ortiz or Berto - YES - Berto that will take him at WW.

Someone that has a good engine and can come forward with power shots - hasn't he struggled against fighters like this before...? (Maidana, Prescott anyone?) The fighters Khan looks good against are fighters like Bradley that will come forward with good boxing technique and not overawe him with power.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 pm

If this fight doesn't happen then its another blow to the rep of Khan.

All the talk before and after the McCloskey fight was aimed at Bradley and a potential showdown in the summer.

I can't see any reason why it shouldn't happen. After all, in their last two fights Khan and Bradley have came out without a mark on them.

And there is no need for tune up fights etc as Khan was the only one who needed one because of the Maidana fight. Bradley's fight against Alexander may as well have been a tune up for Khan because of how ridiculous it was.

I fear that only talk of Money will make Khan walk away.

Not sure Bradley will back away from this fight as he is in desperate need of making a name for himself.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Khan was marked up in the Maidana fight, in fact that is an atrocious comment to suggest that the Maidana fight was little more than a breeze of a tune up!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Duncan Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:30 pm

I did read somewhere about Team Khan not offering enough money (again) to Bradley, but shouldn’t this be a simple 50/50 purse split, I see this being a tricky negotiation as both fighters have an inflated sense of the current worth to the contest.

Duncan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:59 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Khan was marked up in the Maidana fight, in fact that is an atrocious comment to suggest that the Maidana fight was little more than a breeze of a tune up!

Who said the Maidana fight was a tune up?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:24 am

Mentioning the fact that Khan 'barely had a mark on him' would suggest that you regard the Maidana fight as a bit of a nothing bout..which it clearly wasn't, it was a war, and Khan looked like he had been in one, too.

Unless you meant by 'in their last 2 fights' that you were grouping their last 1 fight each together, and didn't mean the last 2 fights of each individual.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:42 am

Khans last fight (McCloskey)

Bradleys last fight (Alexander)

Should have worded that a bit better.

I mean't the two "fighter's" last fights.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Judah is to dangerous opponent to use to build up a fight imo he beats Khan and possibly Bradley. Khan doesn't have the speed advantage over Judah and Judah has the power to beat Khan.

Entangibles don't always win fights, it's not always about speed and power, it's about Boxing ability. Khan has much better boxing ability and a man that will tell him tthe tactics to use (Freddy Roach) He'll be able to hit and run in my opinion, I can't see Judah landing the big bombs to KO Khan. Khan has too much in the tank and especially if the fight goes to the mid rounds Judah tires waaaaaaaaaay faster than Khan. Khans boxing technique will see him through both the Bradley and Judah fights if they happen, I just think it will be someone like Ortiz or Berto - YES - Berto that will take him at WW.

Someone that has a good engine and can come forward with power shots - hasn't he struggled against fighters like this before...? (Maidana, Prescott anyone?) The fighters Khan looks good against are fighters like Bradley that will come forward with good boxing technique and not overawe him with power.

Khan is indisciplined never listened to Roach during the Maidana fight. If Maidana can get the big bombs off against Khan Judah would have no problem. Stamina may not be as much of an issue because Khan has a suspect chin and if Judah was to land a couple of big ones it's fight over.

I don't see Khan beating Bradley, think Bradley will just wear him down and when he does land Khan will panic like he always does and become erratic. Bradley is a very fit fighter and can go at his pace for 12 rounds. Khan doesn't seem disciplined or smart enough to keep Bradley at distance and will let him inside and that's where Bradley wants to be. That's where Bradley wins the fight. Bradley is open to a right uppercut but that's not a punch I've seen from Khan to often with good effect.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:33 am

khan has a very nice short right uppercut that he throws on the way out- and i think that will be the punch that catchs bradley out

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:51 am

Eddy tbh I've never noticed it. If he doubles or triples up on his jab Bradley will slip to his left and lean in trying to get inside. When he does this he is wide open to that short right uppercut. That punch could win Khan the fight.
Do you know any of his fights that he did throw this punch so I can go and have a look?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun May 01, 2011 10:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFij3RKev14 -nice slow mo around the 45 second mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYFqvXUwVjM
also uses it to good effect in maidana fight

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun May 01, 2011 9:11 pm

The one in the Malignaggi fight was a lovely punch short quick and landed cleanly would've rocked most butnot the Magic Man with his iron chin.
Maidana is far to easy to hit with that shot Khan didn't even need to work behind the jab at times to get that shot away.
He will need to use it against Bradley he is open to that shot a lot something that Alexander never even tried to do.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 am

i think you can train really well for an opponent like bradley, he does the same every fight and never alters or adapts- this fight is khans for the taking if he prepares properly, and with roach in his corner the tactics will be there. he will have to be ontop of his game because bradley wont let you make too many mistakes, but i think khan will do it.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 am

I think Khan has the tools to beat Bradley but based on the Maidana fight Khan never followed the instuctions Roach gave him. If Khan is disciplined and follows Freddies instructions he could outbox bradley to a wide UD. Problem is he is indisciplined and I can see him getting dragged into a tear up and if that happens Bradley will win.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 02, 2011 4:32 am

definetly- no way khan can win a tear up. i think the crowd convince khan to stand there and slug it out more than anything, hopefully he can keep focused, he's definetly more than capable

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 4:39 am

Doesn't look like the fight is going to happen.

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blog/_/name/rafael_dan/id/6443074/tim-bradley-amir-khan-fight-falling-apart
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 02, 2011 4:54 am

exactly what happened before the mccloskey fight. seems nobody can organise a fight these days without threatening to call it off. 1.3 million for bradley seems a very good deal.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon May 02, 2011 4:56 am

I don't get the purses for this fight. Bradley gets only $100000 less even if he faces a no-one. Khan and goldenboy really are f***ing up when it comes
to money. Bradley holds an advantage over khan as he has two belts to khans one. He offered too little for Peterson and mcclosky had to be renogotiated.

Khan should be prepared for pressure fighters as he spars with manny. Bradley has alot of head movement and natural strength and stamina which is the concern for khan. Roach needs to drill it into him that he knows beat and khan has to stick to the game plan.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 4:58 am

Does but it's guaranteed no matter who he fights because of the daft contract HBO gave him and Alexander to make the fight happen. Think he would rather use it for an easy opponent and face Khan after that because he will make good money from the Khan fight.
Not ideal because I would love to see the fight but can understand the logic behind Bradleys thinking.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02, 2011 5:13 am

[quote="WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs"]I don't get the purses for this fight. Bradley gets only $100000 less even if he faces a no-one. Khan and goldenboy really are f***ing up when it comes
to money. Bradley holds an advantage over khan as he has two belts to khans one. He offered too little for Peterson and mcclosky had to be renogotiated.

As prettyboykev has mentioned this was the deal done when the Alexander fight was signed & he probably wants to get a low risk fight for the money out the way & get more money against Khan. With respect to Bradley's advantage over Khan because of the 2 belts, I agree in boxing terms, Khan is the bigger draw & as Frank Warren used to say its about bums on seats. Just look at the size of the crowds for some of Hattons less than great opponents. Must say it does look as though team Khan & Goldenboy are a little tight when it comes to money for opponents.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 5:20 am

Looks that way McCloskey wasn't happy with his fee and he was grateful just to be getting the shot.
It's Golden Boys perogative to make as much money for Khan as possible think the problem might be team Khan. His uncle and father have no knowledge of the sport. Look at what happened with Sky for the McCloskey fight it wasn't PPV worthy.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon May 02, 2011 7:31 am

@Prettyboykev
they know nothing and showed the Hearns/McCloskey no respect at all, they wont do the same to Bradley, Gary Shaw doesnt take no bull sh**, and rightly say, he has beaten by far the better fighters and holds 2 titles, and is also a very, very good fighter and rated #1 in the world at the weight officially!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 7:52 am

Problem is Bradley doesn't have great support in America their public just haven't taken to him. The fight should be easy to make 50/50 split surely.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon May 02, 2011 11:33 pm

this is exactly why khan should fight judah next, because if he came into the fight with a win over zab behind him and the IBF and WBA it puts camp khan in a much better position to negotiate

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm

Eddy Judah is to dangerous a fight to take just to strengthen your hand for upcoming negotiations. Judah is still very good. Forget his record at WW he never looked the same fighter at 147lbs. He is a LWW where his record is excellent he has only lost once at 140lbs and that was to Tzsyu.
IMO Judah might just have the beating of both of them. He has been working hard on his defence and at pacing himself better throughout a fight with Pernell Whittaker which was his biggest problems in the past. He is still very quick and has good enough power to trouble both he also has experience on his side.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue May 03, 2011 12:24 am

maybe but for me judah is the lesser of 2 evils- i can't see him taking another easy fight (ie mccloskey) because the fans won't have it and it wouldn't sell in the US (where his next fights need to be because of the sky thing), if bradley isn't happening then that would leave stepping up in weight which would be a tougher challenge than zab or bradley imo.

khan is going to have to take a few risky fights to make himself a huge name in the US and i think judah might be his only realistic option atm, although i've heard morales and gavin have come out in the last week both saying they fancy khan as well, so who knows what will happen. personally i think bradley/khan will happen.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 03, 2011 12:46 am

I think it will happen but I think they will have another fight each before it does.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 am

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/05/prescott-option-if-khan-v-bradley-falls.html?utm_source=BP_recent

unless he fights prescott again which makes sense

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 am

Prescott said he had been promised the fight because GBP expected this to happen because of Bradleys two fight contract with HBO.
Don't see it happening though Prescott isn't a name and has been poor since he beat Khan.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue May 03, 2011 1:17 am

dont think Prescott's been so much poor Kev, i think he got taken to school off a fighter in Mitchell who on his night is world level imo without any doubt, he was punch perfect that night Mitchell, i watch that fight all the time it was a beautiful performance and i maintain the Mitchell who boxed him like that would of took Katsidis to school. Prescott was quality last weekend, i seen that fight, he should fight Breidis again, he was iced in a round and made to look an idiot, why not avenge the defeat lol? the fight would be a guaranteed seller as well

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 am

if he can sort out the problems with sky then it would be a good fight to have in england, low risk but little comeback as most people would like to see khan avenge his loss. prescott hasn't done that bad, yeh he lost a UD to mitchell, and a split decesion loss Vazquez- but other than that he has won every fight since (4 of 6)

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue May 03, 2011 1:28 am

He hasn't looked good winning though he's been on ESPN a few times. Khan has moved on and proved he is a world class fighter Prescott has proved he isn't why go back just because he beat you when you were young and inexperienced. Khan doesn't need to prove he is better than Prescott by fighting him he has done that already by moving on from the defeat and becoming a world champion.
He won't come back to England for a long time the stuff with Sky was very bad for his reputation over here and made him look like a money grabbing knob who was trying to rip people off.
Lamont Peterson would be a better bet imo no real threat to Khan power wise and Khan should have enough to outbox him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next