The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kelly Pavlik retires.

+5
jimdig
BoxingFan88
spencerclarke
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Kelly Pavlik retires. Empty Kelly Pavlik retires.

Post by hampo17 Sat 19 Jan - 20:45

He's decided to call it a day stating he's concerned for his long term health. Wish him all the best in the future and hope he doesn't let his demons get the better of him.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8859950/kelly-pavlik-decides-retire-preserve-long-term-health

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kelly Pavlik retires. Empty Re: Kelly Pavlik retires.

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 19 Jan - 20:53

Unexpected if im honest as he wasnt too far off a fight with Ward but i guess he knows his body more than anyone

Accomplished alot given his limitations and out of boxing complications with alcohol and as he says he made good money and doesn't need to take the punishment that some boxers receive by hanging on for too long

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 19 Jan - 21:22

It's nice in these times when so many fighters go on too long that someone with problems in the past has taken a positive decision and getting out at the right time.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 19 Jan - 23:44

Best of luck to him, I think he did it at the right time, hopefully he won't feel the need to make a comeback in a few years time.

I think Pavlik could have achieved more, if he had a better trainer than Jack Loew.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 20 Jan - 14:52

Nothing left for him to achieve. Making middle would be murder for him. He never showed his middleweight form above that weight. Ward would have been a payday and another loss, he probably would lose to Kessler or Froch (although have been competitive). He has his money made, put Youngstown back on the boxing map & had a good career. I hope he has a fulfilled life away from the game.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 20 Jan - 16:32

I always liked Pavlik. Its a pity he lost a chunk of his career to booze and ill health. There were lots of goods fights for him out there it he could have stayed healthy. Fights with Froch and Kessler in particular could have been real humdingers. Think its a sensible decision though. He ships alot punishment and last couple of outings he looked pretty poor. I think Ward would have dismantled him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 21 Jan - 7:31

He's saying there is a small chance he will come out of retirement if the right big fight is offered to him.

Froch call him out please...
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 21 Jan - 8:54

TheMackemMawler wrote:He's saying there is a small chance he will come out of retirement if the right big fight is offered to him.

Froch call him out please...

You want him to continue fighting?

A fight between the 2 would be a fairly entertaining affair but I doubt Pavlik can beat him as he hasn't travelled to supermiddle and Froch doesn't really prove anything fighting him when there's better fights out there for him

He has admitted that he has lost his hunger for the game and if he wants to fight for only the big $$$ you can probably assume that he isn't the most motivated fighters being in it for only the money

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 21 Jan - 16:05

I want to watch an entertaining fight between him and Froch. It's no more complicated than that.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 21 Jan - 16:16

I'll just wish him good luck.............for now.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 21 Jan - 16:47

TheMackemMawler wrote:I want to watch an entertaining fight between him and Froch. It's no more complicated than that.

Just find it a little odd that you would want the 2nd best supermiddleweight in the world up against someone who has been out of form for several years now and no longer has the desire to fight but for money

Pavlik hasn't exactly been in exciting fights lately has he

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 21 Jan - 17:45

Froch makes every fight exciting. Pavlik has a big heart, he wouldn't stand a chance, but it would be a fun fight to watch.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 21 Jan - 17:48

I don't think you can make a call on his desire to fight and the reasons for doing so. When he says he would come out of retirement for a big fight why does it have to be about money? Have you fought before? Maybe a big fight is simply the driving force and the money is secondary to that.

Ray leonard would come out of retirement for the big fights too, not necessarily about money though?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 21 Jan - 19:18

I didnt make the call he said himself that he doesn't have the drive for it anymore ad mentioned it in the past

What impact does me boxing have on him retiring?

Are you Sugar Ray Leonard? No, so how do you know why he came out of retirement. He said he thought he could beat Hagler hence why he returned

I didn't say he won't take the fight for good money, I just questioned why an elite fighter would take him on a opponent like him who could just turn up for the money (his only motivation it seems form the article) and not take any punishment to prolongs his health which is the reason he's retired

Read the article, "don't think I have the desire for it anymore" and comments along the line of 'I've accomplished enough already', ' I don't need to take any punishment for my long term health' etc all go towards my point that he doesn't seem to have the desire anymore and hoping he goes to war with Froch isn't going to happen

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 21 Jan - 20:40

Sorry if i come across a bit short. Maybe you are right about his motivation, maybe you are wrong.

I still think it would be an entertaining fight, and a fight i would be interested in watching. Couldn't care less about Froch Vs Ward, Not that interested in Froch Vs Kessler two either. Those rematches would be just like watching the first fights. I may as well youtube them.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 22 Jan - 17:00

I bet Ceej is crying as we speak

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down