The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kelly pavlik

+3
School Project
jimdig
Rich1066
7 posters

Go down

Kelly pavlik Empty Kelly pavlik

Post by Rich1066 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

I might have missed another thread on this but his surprise retirement seems to have gone under the radar. How do you rate Kelly and what do you think of his retirement?

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Kelly pavlik Empty Re: Kelly pavlik

Post by jimdig Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

He announced it on postponement of the Ward fight. I think it was covered as it must be over a month ago. Good decision if he can stay off the beer. He was never effectual above middleweight and it killed him to get down there. If your heart is not in it, no point getting in the ring to get punched in the head by a top 3 P4P fighter.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

I think during his time at Middle he would have beaten the German guys (Abraham, Sturm and Stieglitz). They had the style that suited him...

Great jab, good dig, good chin, the basics were there and he used them. But his defense was a little lacklusture and was alwasy going to be beat by someone who didn't fight in lines - he was a lateral movers dream to fight.

Like Jimdig has pointed out, his body let him down. Too big for Middle, not enough power or speed for Super Middle.

Not sure how much Hopkins took out of him, I honestly don't think his mind was there prior to the fight anyway. Wish him the best in retirement, got out when he wanted.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

https://www.606v2.com/t39626-kelly-pavlik-retires?highlight=Kelly+Pavlik+retires

Was sure I'd posted this but with the amount of threads we have on here it was like 80 pages in Laugh

If he can stay off the booze then great, I'd like to see him going in to training personally. Would be a great way for him to stop getting bored.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm

Good time to retire. This is a health risk sport, and Pavlik was not a force at SM at all. All he would have got from a step up in class there was a beating from Ward, Kessler or Froch, so I am glad he retired with his facilties in tact and some $ in the bank. Always liked Kelly. And he has that great and dramatic 1st win over Taylor to think about. All the best to the Ghost!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm

You think Bute should retire???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

I think during his time at Middle he would have beaten the German guys (Abraham, Sturm and Stieglitz). They had the style that suited him...
On the old 606, one of the first articles I wrote was about how good a possible Pavlik Abraham fight might be.

Got a dog's abuse for it

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 15 Mar 2013, 10:04 pm

Kelly will be back

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down