The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment?

+22
slashermcguirk
Jahu
LuvSports!
Josiah Maiestas
Chydremion
laverfan
CaledonianCraig
Silver
Born Slippy
socal1976
gboycottnut
User 774433
Henman Bill
lags72
sportslover
The Special Juan
Danny_1982
hawkeye
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment? Empty Raonic vs Fed

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:42 pm

So the next big game is on tonight, certainly full of Canada [Tennis fans] will get up early in the morning to watch it. Luckily for us its the 2nd match of the evening which means it won't likely start before 5.30 AM, I am gonna sleep early to be in time for the match Very Happy

Do any body think Raonic have chance? will he atleast stand like Stan did?, so for Fed hasn't played anything special in this tournament, would like to see how he respond to Raonic's booming serves and forehand. Shocked

While I do think Fed will be a little too much for Raonic, I am pretty sure Raonic will rise to the occasion and give a stand out game.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment? Empty Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment?

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

I really think Raonic will come through to be a 'big thing'; it might be tomorrow or a few years away but I think he has all the tools.

Tomorrow we get a chance for him to make his big mark against a veteran champion, just as Federer did back on that auspicious day. It didn't really mark the start of the Federer era but it certainly established Federer as confirmed potential, not just speculative. Could this be one of those moments?

It has to happen soon enough; Federer is as close to 32 as he is 31 and sometime he HAS to be put to the sword by a young player. Equally Raonic has such an irresistible serve that he must soon put it together for three successful sets. He blew Kholi away - no poor player - giving up no break point chances so why not?

I hope the dreaded day can be postponed further but it's inevitable one day, and that day will be a surprise as it will be the first time. I will be watching with no little trepidation.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment? Empty Re: Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment?

Post by HM Murdock Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:50 pm

The day will come but it won't be tomorrow.

Fed's purring along beautifully so far, I can't see him falling tomorrow.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment? Empty Re: Fed v Raonic; a Wimbledon 2001 moment?

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:53 pm

He might give Roger a hard time of it for a while I think BB.. but I still think your hero will prevail.
Roger is too quick around the court for the big boy.. and has dealt with the big servers all his career.. Roddick ?? Isner ?? Karlovic ?? Have no fear Cool :

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:54 pm

Raonic era?! I cough well hope not. bogbrush. Have you been drinking?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:56 pm

hawkeye wrote:Raonic era?! I cough well hope not. bogbrush. Have you been drinking?
I don't, funny enough. Terrible things, drugs!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

Agree with Murdoch. It will come, but not right here and now.

If Roger gets enough serves back he'll outmanoeuvre him like Murray did in New York. Roger is much more fleet footed side to side and front to back. Every point that goes past 3 shots I would make Roger hot favourite to win.

3 set win for Roger, the first two being fairly close.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:59 pm

Hey coolers, we appear to have had the same idea at similar times. Sorry!

Want to merge your post over here, there's been a few replies that's all?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

I have to disagree when you say "Raonic has all the tools". The only tools he has in his possession are a big serve, big forehand and the fact the he is one (at times). I think Federer has enough for the next year or two to deal with behemoths like Raonic. As mentioned, he's dealt with Roddick and Karlovic and they played on faster surfaces. The only thing going for Raonic tomorrow is that he's kind of similar to Berdych who Federer has struggled against in the past.

Yes, he may well eventually have done to him what he did to Peter all those years ago but I highly doubt it will be tomorrow.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm

As long as Roger can move him around the court I really dont see the problem.
Ive always thought Raonic slow and rather clumsy. He has difficulty with returning low balls. Something Roger is pretty niffty at.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:04 pm

Although Roger is up 3-0 in the h2h things can change - who knows it may happen here but unless he gets that first set it may prove to be difficult.

Roger is playing well, I haven't seen Milos play here as yet but a Q/F spot is up for grabs and I'm sure he will give it his all.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:11 pm

We know from all we have witnessed over many years that past performance is no guarantee of future results ; each & every match is a different proposition, even when spaced just a couple days apart within the same tournament.

The slate is wiped clean after any win. Just a few hours ago we saw how very close Djokovic came to going out, before another Houdini act. And he had been purring along in previous rounds even more smoothly than Federer.

Raonic has already built a positive h2h v Murray and has also been running Fed extremely close - just a point here & there has seen Federer pull through past clashes. The Federer QF streak at Slams simply HAS to come to an end at some point, and both Raonic and/or Tsonga have the ability to make it happen.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm

Actually, this article by BB is not so unbelievable at all. I watched the Fed-Raonic match at Madrid. Federer won 4-6 7-5 7-6. Raonic played well, at times having the edge and putting Federer under a lot of pressure. The match was on a knife edge for a while, and Federer could easily have lost it in straights sets and then had to win a final set tiebreak as well.

Raonic is a bit better player than Tomic.

He doesn't have much form though. Lost to Dimitrov at Brisbane, and ended last year with losses to Querrey, Muller, Baghdatis. (Before that, he did beat Stepanek , Tipsarevic and Murray in Tokyo before losing to Nishikori in the final, to be fair.) So I cannot quite believe he will really do it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

I still think Fed will win in straights.
Apart from serve I am not sure Rao has the game or form to trouble Roger.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm

lags72 wrote:We know from all we have witnessed over many years that past performance is no guarantee of future results ; each & every match is a different proposition, even when spaced just a couple days apart within the same tournament.

The slate is wiped clean after any win. Just a few hours ago we saw how very close Djokovic came to going out, before another Houdini act. And he had been purring along in previous rounds even more smoothly than Federer.

Raonic has already built a positive h2h v Murray and has also been running Fed extremely close - just a point here & there has seen Federer pull through past clashes. The Federer QF streak at Slams simply HAS to come to an end at some point, and both Raonic and/or Tsonga have the ability to make it happen.

Not if Federer keeps up the level and playing standard he showed V Bernard Tomic in which his backhand as well as his forehand shots were both working very well.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:05 pm

My gut feel says Raonic could, and I say could, serve so well that he just denies Federer chances on his serve. Federer has been poor on bp conversions too, which won't do against this guy.

The be saving grace is that Federer too gas been secure on serve. Tie breaks look more than possible, and they are toss-ups.

I felt Tomc might pressure, and I was right. I suspect this could be tougher.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm

But IMBL, I imagine you have seen some /all ? of their previous clashes.

If so, did you genuinely feel at the time that Raonic wasn't troubling Federer in any way ? It certainly seemed he was from what I saw. And the score lines alone indicate as much.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:10 pm

This is a slam Lags.
Fed's turf Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:17 pm

Well I agree that Bo5 is a different proposition and that Federer has a depth of experience at Slams that Raonic can only dream of.

But he could be about to make his mark and upsets are by definition not telegraphed in advance......!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm

I think you know what I'll say next lags Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:19 pm

The surface is playing fast enough for those that want to. I think it will be fast paced, short points, and entertaining. Fed in 4 including at least 1 TB.

Let me check the odds. Hm bookies giving Raonic about a 1 in 8 chance to come through.

I'll be in Luton Airport for this one. Doubt they'll have it on.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:21 pm

Is it me or does BB always play down Fed's chance and Amrit always plays them up? Is this some sort of reverse psychology or wanting not to set yourself up for a let down?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:30 pm

Personally, I think Fed likes the big servers he has more problem against players who return and defend well. Raonic is still a terrible returner, at least he was when I last saw him play some months ago. Federer in straight sets, I just can't see Raonic breaking Roger and it is very hard to win a match that you can't break serve in.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:36 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Is it me or does BB always play down Fed's chance and Amrit always plays them up? Is this some sort of reverse psychology or wanting not to set yourself up for a let down?
I see what you say but honestly I'm just not confident of Federer any more, in particular when he has to return well.
I guess I've seen him become much more erratic over the years, able now to lose to all sorts, esecially big hitters. 2012 was a big change in that, I have to say, but it's not changed the feeling.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm

@ SL, while Roger is playing good his movements are not its best, yes against Tomic he did some great defense but it won't be easy against Raonic's raw power. If Raonic believes himself this could well be his moment.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

bogbrush wrote:Hey coolers, we appear to have had the same idea at similar times. Sorry!

Want to merge your post over here, there's been a few replies that's all?

Okies. i will post my thread comment here, btw JHM or LF if you can merge the two threads it would be appreciated. thumbsup

I posted 3 mts ahead of thou Very Happy

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:47 pm

So the next big game is on tonight, certainly full of Canada [Tennis fans] will get up early in the morning to watch it. Luckily for us its the 2nd match of the evening which means it won't likely start before 5.30 AM, I am gonna sleep early to be in time for the match

Do any body think Raonic have chance? will he atleast stand like Stan did?, so for Fed hasn't played anything special in this tournament, would like to see how he respond to Raonic's booming serves and forehand.

While I do think Fed will be a little too much for Raonic, I am pretty sure Raonic will rise to the occasion and give a stand out game.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:47 pm

In short no.

When I see Raonic I think of other big hitters in the game. Del Potro, Berdych, Isner and wonder what does he have that they don't that would elevate him to the next level. Del Potro won a Slam, Berdych defeated Federer at the 2004 as an 18 year old and Isner nearly took out the greatest clay courter of all time a couple of years back. Yes Raonic has some breath taking power and good movement for a big guy, but he is not quite at that level. 0-3 against Federer, 0-4 against Ferrer.

A BO3, maybe. BO5? Not tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:48 pm

By the way cooers, I'm in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, off up to my place up North. Lovely and COLD!!!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:54 pm

bogbrush wrote:By the way cooers, I'm in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, off up to my place up North. Lovely and COLD!!!
It is cold Bro, last year we had a mild winter, this time its not horrible but certainly colder than last year.

I just have one question to those who think it would be st.set to Fed, if Raonic can win a set in BO3 why can't he win a set in BO5? I am sure Raonic gonna win a set and it could well be the first one , but after that its gonna rest on Roger's legs, I am not sure I have seen the best of his in this tournament.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 20 Jan 2013, 11:55 pm

Thread needs to be closed, pls post on the other thread of BB's which has more or less similar theme. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:00 am

Hope it is very cold, I need to get across water plus do a fair bit of burning, so need plenty of snow around for safety.

I feel the same way as you; I can't see any rationale for easy Fed predictions.

What on this says "easy"?

2012 Halle Germany Grass
Federer, Roger 6-7(4), 6-4, 7-6(3)
2012 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid
Federer, Roger 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(4)
2012 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells
Federer, Roger 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-4
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:19 am

Roger looks in miles better form that he was going into any of those matches. The display against Tomic was truly exceptional. His footwork was unreal. I can't see any way Raonic is going to break serve. He might grab a set in a tiebreak if he gets lucky but, unless Fed has a real slump in form, he'll win relatively easily.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:53 am

If Fed plays like he did in the previous round, there's absolutely no chance of him losing. Even if he's as shocking on break point conversion, I just can't see Raonic getting near the Fed serve, and winning three tiebreaks against him seems unlikely given the stage, Federer's supreme pedigree in slams and his excellent record in tiebreaks. And we shouldn't forget that Federer is the only player left in the tournament who's yet to be broken, so he's hardly serving badly himself.

...but like bogbrush, I rate Raonic highly and do have a nagging feeling that if Fed doesn't step up to the plate and remain focused, he could be dumped out here. Two narrow tiebreak losses in the opening sets, for example, and he's in a world of trouble with some serious pressure to cope with. It has to happen some time, and whilst I don't think it's going to happen today, he's been inconsistent enough in the last few years that anything could happen. The aura of infallibility during slams was broken by Soderling and Tsonga, and confirmed by Berdych last year. Raonic is a similar type of player, albeit with a better serve and weaker everywhere else.

That said, If anyone's going to dethrone Fed and end his ludicrous streak of QF appearances, I'd like it to be Raonic. He seems very dedicated and I've been impressed with his general attitude, particularly compared to the other youngsters who have a more varied arsenal. Plus, I could watch that serve all day, it is simply phenomenal!

Hope you're wrong BB, but I'll also be watching with interest and slight concern Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:56 am

Hi ho, Silver.

We agree 100% on this one.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jan 2013, 1:41 am

Sorry I don't buy into all this panicking. Roger Federer to win in strsight sets (four at most for me). Raonic is renowned as a fantastic server but in all other areas he falls short of Roger. Lets just say he holds serve throughout the match then where does he break Roger's serve? His return game is average so quite possibly each set will come down to the business end and who holds their nerve best? In that area I would bet on Federer every time. Lets remember that Raonic was being tipped to beat Murray in New York on the back of his serve and impressive head-to-head against him but when it came to slam tennis he was dismantled and lost in straight sets. I see a similar outcome here.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 21 Jan 2013, 4:17 am

@iC... your article was merged with this one. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 21 Jan 2013, 4:23 am

laverfan wrote:@iC... your article was merged with this one. Wink

thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:08 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Sorry I don't buy into all this panicking. Roger Federer to win in strsight sets (four at most for me). Raonic is renowned as a fantastic server but in all other areas he falls short of Roger. Lets just say he holds serve throughout the match then where does he break Roger's serve? His return game is average so quite possibly each set will come down to the business end and who holds their nerve best? In that area I would bet on Federer every time. Lets remember that Raonic was being tipped to beat Murray in New York on the back of his serve and impressive head-to-head against him but when it came to slam tennis he was dismantled and lost in straight sets. I see a similar outcome here.
Well of course you don't, because you'd not see such a result as disappointing. Laugh

Check their match stats and tell me where the evidence for a routine stroll is. I'm just basing my thoughts on what I've seen in their three meetings, all close, two decided in final set tie breaks.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

guinness Your glass is half empty BB. He WILL win., OK

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:20 am

Did I say it would be a stroll? Just by looking at their previous meetings gives us all a good idea how it is going to go. Tight sets going to the business end but Fed's vaster experience and temperament coming through tie-breaks or getting the odd break of serve. It isn't rocket science.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

Haddie-nuff wrote: guinness Your glass is half empty BB. He WILL win., OK
I hope so, and think he will - I've not predicted a defeat, I'm just alert to its possibility.

My glass is as full as their three meetings suggest, and I subtract for the anticipation of the impending inevitability that at this stage of his career the 'shock' will happen, it's just a matter of when, not if. Hence the thread title; nobody predicted that, either.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Did I say it would be a stroll? Just by looking at their previous meetings gives us all a good idea how it is going to go. Tight sets going to the business end but Fed's vaster experience and temperament coming through tie-breaks or getting the odd break of serve. It isn't rocket science.
Have you never watched a match when the younger player finally turns it round?

You're right, it's not rocket science. Rockets should repeat the same performance endlessly.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:30 am

Yes I have seen the younger player turn it around if they have many strings to their bow. Raonic strength is his serve but Federer has the returns to negate that at slam level as we saw Murray do in New York. I will say I know where you are coming from though as I was mighty nervous/anxious before that match but sometimes as a supporter that is the way it is. Anxiety clouds the mind. I am confident of a Fed win in three or four sets at thevmost.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:34 am

Worst of all I'm going to miss it as I have a big customer meeting. If they make it through the snow, that is. Have to hope they do; that pays the bills, tennis doesn't!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

This is not Raonic against "Indian Wells virus'' Roger

nor is it against "first match ever on blue clay" Roger

nor "playing warm-up tournament" Roger

this is.... SLAM Roger

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:40 am

Exactly Chrydemerion. I just don't feel Raonic is ready to take Roger out in a slam yet.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

Chydremion wrote:This is not Raonic against "Indian Wells virus'' Roger

this is.... SLAM Roger
Eh? Fed won those events.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon 21 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

in a 3 set match he always has a fathomable chance to win. Not over 5, I am more sure of this win than I was of Tomic.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Mon 21 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

bogbrush wrote:
Chydremion wrote:This is not Raonic against "Indian Wells virus'' Roger

this is.... SLAM Roger
Eh? Fed won those events.

Apart from Halle. He did win Indian Wells and Madrid, but his form improved as the tournament progressed. But he played Raonic early in those tournaments.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next