The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny will not fight in the US again.

+8
Atila
BoxingFan88
Imperial Ghosty
JabMachineMK2
captain carrantuohil
manos de piedra
davidemore
hampo17
12 posters

Go down

Manny will not fight in the US again. Empty Manny will not fight in the US again.

Post by hampo17 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

This is according to promoter Bob Arum, and the reason being he doesn't want to give money to the government.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Manny will not fight in the US again. Empty Re: Manny will not fight in the US again.

Post by davidemore Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:44 am

And maybe his brain is fried and he wants to cook some home town decisions.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Manny will not fight in the US again. Empty Re: Manny will not fight in the US again.

Post by manos de piedra Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 am

Hes probably going broke and only realises it now. The tax/cost of living is enormous in the U.S compared to the Phillipines.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 am

Well, I can't see too many meaningful opponents making the trek out to Manila, or indeed anywhere else in Asia, so you'd think that his future options are somewhat limited in that case. Can we really imagine Pacquiao-Marquez V in London or Montreal? I dare say that nasty old Uncle Sam will just have to do for Manny when he's thought everything through.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 am

Sad really, considering that the American fans have pretty much paid for his womanising, gambling and all the other bad stuff he's been associated with.

Bob Arum is truly a despicable human being. I don't hate many people before meeting them, but he is someone that by reputation I wouldn't ever want to meet unless I was given the opportunity to punch him in the face.

He's given us some cracking fights over the years, but never on purpose, never for the fans, always for his own pockets. 10x worse than Don King in my opinion.

Scumbag.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 pm

I also think arum resents donaire somewhat, having a fighter who tells him the score must really bug him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I also think arum resents donaire somewhat, having a fighter who tells him the score must really bug him.

I have seen some interviews where Arum is slagging of Donaire for no good reason. I was hoping that Donaire would leave him for Golden Boy, he would be far better off.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:52 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Hes probably going broke and only realises it now. The tax/cost of living is enormous in the U.S compared to the Phillipines.
But isn't the U.S. where he generates the most money? He'll make money wherever he fights but I'll be surprised if it's anywhere near the 20 - 30 million that he's supposedly made for fights in the U.S.

Besides, if he's going broke with all the money he's earned fighting in the U.S, it's his own fault.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Id say ppv is where the bulk of his earnings come from and thats wouldnt change much if he fights outside of America. He might not be seen as the star he once was though. Gates might be smaller elsewhere but perhaps not sufficiently so given what it costs to train, reside and fight in the U.S.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm

If Romney had won we'd get to see Marquez 5............

Thank god for Democrats...............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Manny is a hero in the Philippines, every single Filipino would watch him live so they could sell out any stadium/arena in the country althoughi have no idea what sized venues they have

On the other scale Maruqez has a similar (obviously not to the extent of manny) following in Mexico and Arum said that it could take place there also

Both countries will follow there fighter still the end, will watch it live and will do great TV numbers. Add into the American viewings etc it will do huge business wherever they fight

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Manny reportedly generates a total purse with his opponent all in, PPV, sponsorship, TV and all that of 10mil+ a fight.

Lets say that he gets 50% (unlikely dependent on opponent)

5 million.

Lets say his house he lives in costs £500,000 (a one time purchase and likely something he has)
Travel, training, entourage
Promotion company will take what, 1 mil?

Tax of 40% on 5mil would leave him with 3 million to cover all this.

I think he'd do very very well from 2 or 3 of these a year.

Pacquiao and Arum are idiots for daring to complain.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

He can write a lot of his costs of to expenses...and he'll have the best accountants..

I'll be surprised If he pays 14% on his money earned..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Pacquiao wastes and spends a ferocious amount of money. Basically self funded his own political ambitions, funds entire hospitals, funds a gigantic entourage which spends lavishly and thats before he even started spending money on himself and his own family. I heard he had cash flow problems in the past and Arum advanced him money on the Bradley fight I think. But ultimately on top of spending fortunes it never seemed to dawn on Pacquiao that boxers have a shelf life. When you can millions a fight the tendancy is to think you can just keep on spending and keep on fighting. But hes at the stage now where on the back of two losses his career could be winding down and he may not have many more mega fights left and his expense bill remains extremelly high.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Let's hope this isn't something to do with his health after the recent KO where they fear he won't be allowed to box in the US.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He can write a lot of his costs of to expenses...and he'll have the best accountants..

Good point well made - he'll have some way of getting around his actual fees going into the taxation lanes.

Irks me this. Boxers can be somewhat forgiven, as they have at most 20 - 30 year careers where at most they'll be earning a premium for 5 - 10 year (the rest just scraping by) and afterwards have no career, nothing. (Still a big issue for Pacquiao to cheekily tell the country where he's made his millions - no)

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm

The problem with being self employed is that you pay your tax at the end of that tax year...

these guys tend to spend the money....and get themselves into trouble....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He can write a lot of his costs of to expenses...and he'll have the best accountants..

Good point well made - he'll have some way of getting around his actual fees going into the taxation lanes.

He'll just get his fees paid to a company, therefore he doesn't have to declare it personal income. Bit like when Warren Buffet pointed out most of his income came through his companies so his tax on dividends/capital gains meant his marginal tax rate was about 14% but his secretary was paying 28%!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Not sure where you've got your figures from JM but between June 2011 and June 2012 he earned $56mil from his two fights against Marquez and Bradley as well as $6mil from endorsements.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down