The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section?

+9
User 774433
lags72
invisiblecoolers
socal1976
HM Murdock
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
newballs
Henman Bill
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Are We Here?

What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap12%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap15%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap6%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap6%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap52%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 52% 
[ 17 ]
What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_lcap9%What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 33

What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Empty What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section?

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:01 am

Please vote now.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Empty Re: What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section?

Post by newballs Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:05 am

HB the last box admirably sums up most of the low life that frequents this forum (myself excepted naturally enough). It definitely gets my vote.

newballs

Back to top Go down

What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section? Empty Re: What Is The Point of This Forum's Tennis Section?

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

You missed out 'All of the above', 'None of the above' and 'To annoy the Moderators'

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

Why should 606v2 be any different than any discussion about sport in any part of the World in any context?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

bogbrush wrote:Why should 606v2 be any different than any discussion about sport in any part of the World in any context?

Some of us remember a golden age to this forum when issues such as the relative merits of Sampras and Federer as GOAT were discussed at length. Those were the days when some of the posts were very entertaining.

Since Rafa turned up though the quality of debate has definitely gone down. It actually has stayed pretty much in the gutter since his injury so maybe it's not all his fault.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:12 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:You missed out 'All of the above', 'None of the above' and 'To annoy the Moderators'

I think you can vote for all of them or none of them by selecting all of none of them, genius! Although the last one you are right I have missed that one out, but there is always the comments section.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:14 am

newballs wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Why should 606v2 be any different than any discussion about sport in any part of the World in any context?

Some of us remember a golden age to this forum when issues such as the relative merits of Sampras and Federer as GOAT were discussed at length. Those were the days when some of the posts were very entertaining.

Since Rafa turned up though the quality of debate has definitely gone down. It actually has stayed pretty much in the gutter since his injury so maybe it's not all his fault.

You mean the original 606? Anyway, I ought to go back to work now. This is taking a long luch break to excess already. I'll try and have a look in the evening to see if I've unleashed any mayhem, although I am more interested in the vote result!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:16 am

newballs wrote:

Entertainly, but not really different.

My point is that this is what sport discussion is; one long, pointless argument which resolves nothing inspiring strong passions on a subject that doesn't matter.

That's why we all enjoy it so much.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 28 Jan 2013, 10:20 am

bb there were some posters back in the days of 606 who made winding up others in the forum into a fine art form. Sadly they've long departed even if (as you rightly point out) all they were doing was creating a pointless argument that seemingly went round in circles.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

Some of them were classic, but wouldn't be allowed today. We went closer to the edge in those days yet there wasn't, mostly, the same vitriol. I think for some reason the exterme irony that was common coin sort of allowed it all to be defused through mockery and humour.

Ah, the days of Dr_Sinceres Premature Speculation, Wise_Analysts various names for Federer;

"Swiss Shanky"
"The Basel Bungler"
others?

and of course "chilling warnings" and "irrefutable".

Very good old days!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Where else would I go to establish whether that guy who you've never met and has no idea if you exist is better or worse than that guy who I've never met and doesn't know if I exist?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:39 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Where else would I go to establish whether that guy who you've never met and has no idea if you exist is better or worse than that guy who I've never met and doesn't know if I exist?
Exactly. And what can be more important than that?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:45 am

You forgot, "because i'd never have the b*lls to be this inpolite and rude in real life, soo I think it's OK to do it here, and bellttle other people despite havign done practically nothing with my life in comparison"

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

bogbrush wrote:Some of them were classic, but wouldn't be allowed today. We went closer to the edge in those days yet there wasn't, mostly, the same vitriol. I think for some reason the exterme irony that was common coin sort of allowed it all to be defused through mockery and humour.

Ah, the days of Dr_Sinceres Premature Speculation, Wise_Analysts various names for Federer;

"Swiss Shanky"
"The Basel Bungler"
others?

and of course "chilling warnings" and "irrefutable".

Very good old days!

Salutations to this knowledgable poster Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

Remember when Federer was "triple bagelled" by Kuerten, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 at the French?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:59 pm

Henman bill there are like 2 regular posting Djokovic fans, so I don't think it is really a battle between the federer fans v. Djokovic fans. But I like your suggestted answers a very funny thread. I voted for talking tennis but I guess a lot of the other wons are pretty valid as well. Who knows why we spend so much time here.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:04 pm

socal1976 wrote:Henman bill there are like 2 regular posting Djokovic fans, so I don't think it is really a battle between the federer fans v. Djokovic fans. But I like your suggestted answers a very funny thread. I voted for talking tennis but I guess a lot of the other wons are pretty valid as well. Who knows why we spend so much time here.

Who knows why we spend so much time here. [/quote]

because we have nothing better to do?

Last edited by laverfan on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : NB... is my strikethrough correct? LF)

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

I'm here because I'm drunk with power. One day I will delete you all! Do you hear me? BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:16 pm

While Rafa do gets bashed he has tremendous support here as well, its not that Fed don't go un-bashed nor Djoko fans go without celebration.

HB, you just making too much fuss about the situation thumbsup

I know you are a Murray supporter and have nothing else to do outside this thread after his loss, perfectly understandable. notworthy On the other hand you can learn from other Murray fans who took the defeat sportingly even though they didn't like it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:36 pm

bb & JHM : Ah .....the ubiquitous "irrefutable" was always one of my favourites.

The nonsensical theory behind its use being if I simply assert something to be fact then it obviously is (yeah ....right !!) Along with the if I keep it repeating this stuff often enough, then rational people with conflicting views will eventually become converts (which of course nobody ever did ....)

I often used to wonder whether some of the more tedious WUM's such as Unbiased Educator and his many alter egos ('simple analyst', 'tennis tutor' etc etc...... ) and his mate boromir, actually believed any of the guff they wrote. Certainly they ended up becoming parodies of themselves, as though living in some sort of parallel world. They surely can't have been quite as stupid as they were (seemingly) happy to appear ..... chin

I too found much of it entertaining for a while - not least when some of the more surreal articles/posts that had been produced before my time were later requoted by various longstanding members.

But ultimately the poor quality WUM's became very tiresome indeed. So personally I won't be getting too nostalgic myself, not least because I only joined the new 606 once I saw clear evidence that the nastier brand of wummery had been given very short shrift, prompting the perpetrators either to move on voluntarily OR talk themselves into a ban.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:39 pm

As one who has been banned on multiple occassions by the lord high executioner of the delete button Julius the DICtator, I take exception to being called a WUM lags! A sarcastic and aggressive hothead yes, but a WUM never!

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:51 pm

socal : there was - you will observe - absolutely no reference to yourself in my post when I was talking of WUM's. There were, however, mentions of certain other names.

I do hope your defensive rebuttal is not a sign of a guilty conscience on that score ...... Erm

Anyway I will happily go with your own (very honest!) description ...... Wink

(btw, huge congrats to your man for a convincing win yesterday, and indeed a fine performance throughout the AO thumbsup clap )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:54 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm here because I'm drunk with power. One day I will delete you all! Do you hear me? BWAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But do you have the option of deleting yourself? if so can you do it and prove me laughing

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 28 Jan 2013, 1:58 pm

socal1976 wrote:As one who has been banned on multiple occassions by the lord high executioner of the delete button Julius the DICtator, I take exception to being called a WUM lags! A sarcastic and aggressive hothead yes, but a WUM never!

for me the one who moves on in the life forgetting the past and making steps to correct it should never be remind of his past again, Socal v2 is a credit to the forum. thumbsup

After all everybody makes mistakes but humans differ from animal by correcting it and making sure doesn't happen again.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:07 pm

lags72 wrote:socal : there was - you will observe - absolutely no reference to yourself in my post when I was talking of WUM's. There were, however, mentions of certain other names.

I do hope your defensive rebuttal is not a sign of a guilty conscience on that score ...... Erm

Anyway I will happily go with your own (very honest!) description ...... Wink

(btw, huge congrats to your man for a convincing win yesterday, and indeed a fine performance throughout the AO thumbsup clap )

Thanks lags, your congratulations are warmly appreciated. Oh I have been known to purposely stoke the fires a bit everything in moderation.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

Impartial_Lion, Wise_Analyst, Medier, Dr_Sincere, mouse_in_lions_clothing, and the rest were very, very funny and brilliant to debate with. I never found the bitterness there.

They were essentially pro-Sampras, anti-Federer guys who adopted Nadal as the head of "Team Nemesis" who were going to stop the Basel Bungler in his tracks. Stan Wawrinka was frequently referred to as "Swiss No 1". Those glorious four weeks when Federer got the French then scored #15 at Wimbledon more or less finished them.

I miss them. You could have hours of highly charged fun. They were very well informed and knowledgable tennis fans who were keen to remind you of that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
socal1976 wrote:As one who has been banned on multiple occassions by the lord high executioner of the delete button Julius the DICtator, I take exception to being called a WUM lags! A sarcastic and aggressive hothead yes, but a WUM never!

for me the one who moves on in the life forgetting the past and making steps to correct it should never be remind of his past again, Socal v2 is a credit to the forum. thumbsup

After all everybody makes mistakes but humans differ from animal by correcting it and making sure doesn't happen again.
You've not studied much history, have you? Hug Laugh
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:27 pm

falzy21 wrote:You forgot, "because i'd never have the b*lls to be this inpolite and rude in real life, soo I think it's OK to do it here, and bellttle other people despite havign done practically nothing with my life in comparison"
Well I kind of had this, in a more polite way.

I see my pointless, frivolous thread easily outranks in posts and views my thread discussing the upcoming tournaments....

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:31 pm

I joined 606 in 2009, according to what I've heard, it was the tail end of some kind of golden era!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:35 pm

I hear what you say bb, and there's no doubt there were amusing, and (at times) quite entertaining, elements to the various ramblings of the WUM's.

Despite the knowledge that they showed on occasion, I would still question just how much they enjoyed watching tennis versus their main sport of keyboard wummery (eg Wawrinka Swiss Number One, Federer the clay muppet, Roddick the clown and countless other bits of guff ...)

But as already mentioned, it all became tediously repetitive after a while ; and for that reason alone I'm a little surprised to hear you miss them.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:38 pm

lags72 wrote:Wawrinka Swiss Number One
Sets Wawrinka has taken of Djokovic in AO since 2008: 2
Sets Federer has taken of Djokovic in AO since 2008: 0

Irrefutable.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
lags72 wrote:Wawrinka Swiss Number One
Sets Wawrinka has taken of Djokovic since 2008: 2
Sets Federer has taken of Djokovic since 2008: 0

Irrefutable.
That's the kind if factual inaccuracy that would have seen you hounded on 606.

With no edit button it was a much harder school than this place.

(I know what you meant to say, but........ Wink

Last edited by bogbrush on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:40 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Well thank you IC, you are credit to the forum as well and as fellow los Angeles LAker fan and one who appreciates JMDP you have good taste as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:42 pm

lol... I meant in the Australian Open.
Let me edit that.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

bogbrush wrote:Impartial_Lion, Wise_Analyst, Medier, Dr_Sincere, mouse_in_lions_clothing, and the rest were very, very funny and brilliant to debate with. I never found the bitterness there.

They were essentially pro-Sampras, anti-Federer guys who adopted Nadal as the head of "Team Nemesis" who were going to stop the Basel Bungler in his tracks. Stan Wawrinka was frequently referred to as "Swiss No 1". Those glorious four weeks when Federer got the French then scored #15 at Wimbledon more or less finished them.

I miss them. You could have hours of highly charged fun. They were very well informed and knowledgable tennis fans who were keen to remind you of that.

"Impartial_Lion, Wise_Analyst, Medier, Dr_Sincere, mouse_in_lions_clothing" Rumour has it they were one and the same guy constantly chatting with himself. Having said that some of the posts were very clever and wound up lots of us in a way some of the later WUMs can never achieve.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:44 pm

I did find them kind of amusing as well, but lets be fair there were a lot of anti-Nadal wums who simply haven't gone away and I don't know if they have ever been quite as funny as the anti-fed wums. There does seem to be more naked aggression in some of the heat directed at Nadal, Djokovic gets a bit of that now as well. Either way one must take the silly stuff on these forums with some humor. I personally like my goosing of federer fans from time to time but it can overwhelm the substance of tennis debate when everything is viewed through intense polarization

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:46 pm

Yeah I loved how unbiased educator used to call Stan Wawrinka the swiss no. 1. That is a golden oldie.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Indeed, a salient edit/correction IMBL

(you can't have forgotten the bagel suffered by Djokovic v. Federer just a few short months ago, surely ........... Erm)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

lags72 wrote:Indeed, a salient edit/correction IMBL

(you can't have forgotten the bagel suffered by Djokovic v. Federer just a few short months ago, surely ........... Erm)
Djokovic only plays properly at the AO.

Rest are all chamber pot tournaments.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:51 pm

True enough.

He'd best keep well away from South America ....... Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:51 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:While Rafa do gets bashed he has tremendous support here as well, its not that Fed don't go un-bashed nor Djoko fans go without celebration.

HB, you just making too much fuss about the situation thumbsup

I know you are a Murray supporter and have nothing else to do outside this thread after his loss, perfectly understandable. notworthy On the other hand you can learn from other Murray fans who took the defeat sportingly even though they didn't like it.

I am not a Murray supporter. Why do you assume I have some hidden motivation? I am a Federer fan actually.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:56 pm

Everyone knows that the Australian Open is the most valuable Grand slam, and that each AO is worth at least six wimbeldons and 5.5 USOs, every tournament should be played outdoors on plexicushion that is the only way that they will ever matter.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 2:57 pm

socal1976 wrote:Everyone knows that the Australian Open is the most valuable Grand slam, and that each AO is worth at least six wimbeldons and 5.5 USOs, every tournament should be played outdoors on plexicushion that is the only way that they will ever matter.
Yes.
Wimbledon is a chamber pot tournament.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

Grass is for cows and dirt is for farming wheat IMBL, not for tennis you know that.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:03 pm

Why are we here? Because, thanks to hawkeye, you get to read all of the The Times tennis output without financing the Murdoch empire with PPV Very Happy

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:14 pm

Yes that is funny YvonneT, I would never pay any money to read stuff I can read for free.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 Jan 2013, 3:30 pm

Tis a good source of information and entertainment like any forum should be. Like Ronseal. Does it says on the tin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 28 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

Blimey, I remember Wise_Analyst and company - did anyone ever find out that they were (irrefutably) the same person? They were hilarious, provided you left your suspension of disbelief at the door.

socal1976 wrote:Grass is for cows and dirt is for farming wheat IMBL, not for tennis you know that.

laughing

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:54 am

Henman Bill, I apologise I thought I was being polite about it, I had to hold something back.
Were sort of in 3 camps I guess,

1) quite a few of us just come here to talk about tennis, since it can be hard to find people outside of it to discuss the relative merits of grand slam weights, without giving you that eye to suggest youve gone a bit mental.

2) Another are the sarcy ones, that have some fun playing devils advocate, they mostly went as socal said after the old 606

3) Then there's the 3rd one, the ones that ruin the lot, the childish immature ones that have a genuine hatred of a player for no reason other than jealousy, and oh boy do they want us to hear it and ruin the forum for the rest. The ones that genuinly talk about asterisk slams, and belittle everything about the player, that they can only win in the wind or can only win when the other is inujured, or they wish the hated player would just get injured. There aren't many, but they ruined the old 606 and they make this one really unwelcoming at times, during slams its intolerable

Ther third one is the one taht makes me consider whether to bother posting, it's like dealing with schoolchildren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:57 am

The point is that these top guys have worked and achieved probably more than any of us ever have, and we should respect them for that. You pick a side yes, and you don't have to like the style they play, but its the result of years of work, and to belittle that because youre angwy that they beat youre player or you dont like them is a schoolboy bullys mentality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next