The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Canadian Wrestler?

+13
David Tails
theundisputedY2D2
randy-poffo
Dr Gregory House MD
Kay Fabe
Brady12
JoshSansom
AberdeenSteve
Marky
Liam_Main
theanimal316
legendkillar
ADMIN
17 posters

Go down

Greatest Canadian Wrestler?

Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap44%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 15 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap0%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap15%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap18%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap3%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap9%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap6%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap3%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_lcap2%Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 34

Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Empty Greatest Canadian Wrestler?

Post by ADMIN Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Canada has over the years produced countless tremendous wrestlers. From Piper to Hart, from Edge to Jericho, but who for you is the Greatest?

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Greatest Canadian Wrestler? Empty Re: Greatest Canadian Wrestler?

Post by legendkillar Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Man it is a toughie

Went with Bret Hart. I think it is a shame that he didn't have the longevity in the ring that say Shawn Michaels had.

Lance Storm was never really given much of a chance in the WWE which is a shame.

Chris Benoit is a tragic story. Will be one of the greats never to make it into the hall of fame.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Bret Hart, think he is the greatest ever period.

I thought he had great longevity legendkillar? He holds the record for consecutive mania appearances I think at 12 (correct me if I've gotten that worng) and wrestled long before making it big in the WWE. Plus, he was still in great shape when physically when he was forced to retire with the concussion. he easily had another 3+ years left at that point.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Tough one but I went for Jericho.Especially if he comes back and wins another world title.Was close too picking Bret Hart though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Didn't know Rock was Canadian!

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Such an unbelievable list of wrestlers.

Bret Hart, Edge, Jericho and Benoit were all fantastic.

Has to be Hart though, he is one of the greatest ever.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Not wanting to question oh wise admin Hero but is Rocky Canadian? I thought he was born in America?

Went for Bret because he was just superb but it is incredible to think of the number of top wrestlers they produced. Certainly should be a big shout out to Rowdy Roddy Piper as well.

Also, while I am not sure he would win such a poll I would have Jim Niedhart in there as well as he has a dual nationality, Abdullah the Butcher and Stan the Man Stasiak potentially as well - though I never saw him compete.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 pm

Bret Hart, one of the greatest living Canadians... Longevity? He wrestled for 20 years & only ended his career due to a concussion

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 pm

Brady12 wrote:Bret Hart, one of the greatest living Canadians... Longevity? He wrestled for 20 years & only ended his career due to a concussion

Quite frankly the reason why Goldberg does not deserve the praise and adulation he gets to this day. Vince might have screwed Bret, Bret might have screwed Bret but it was Goldberg who nearly kicked his head off, ended his career and lead to him having a stroke.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:21 pm

the guy was wrestling for 25 years and 16 years on Main Stream American Wrestling

Last edited by the-gaffer on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
theanimal316 wrote:Bret Hart, think he is the greatest ever period.

I thought he had great longevity legendkillar? He holds the record for consecutive mania appearances I think at 12 (correct me if I've gotten that worng) and wrestled long before making it big in the WWE. Plus, he was still in great shape when physically when he was forced to retire with the concussion. he easily had another 3+ years left at that point.
the guy was wrestling for 25 years and 16 years on Main Stream American Wrestling

I think that the point Legendkillar is trying to make is that there was a feeling that there was more to come from Bret and that he could have done more. No-one can say that he didn't have incredible longevity (for those of an age bracket to know!! Wink ) but the he had to retire unlike, for example, Shawn, who chose to on his own terms.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 pm

the-gaffer wrote:the guy was wrestling for 25 years and 16 years on Main Stream American Wrestling

Also Gaffer - I would just say that you are fantastically informed on most things concerning wrestling and you clearly have a lot of knowledge. Not everyone on here does so I think that you need to give people a bit of slack sometimes!

Nothing personal mind you.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Bret always planned on retiring from the ring around his early 40s tho, sure he had to retire prematurely but when he signed his last WWF contract in 96 he expected to be retired by the time Goldberg injured him , moving to WCW and Owen dying delayed his plans

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Josh i don't see what i did wrong when all i did was state his longevity, i didn't question why the guy said it, i just threw the figures out there, you joining the witch hunt?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Josh i don't see what i did wrong when all i did was state his longevity, i didn't question why the guy said it, i just threw the figures out there, you joining the witch hunt?

Certainly not. I just think that there are ways of saying things and heading the post "Peed OFF" makes your post appear more combative than it is. I understand that you often message from your phone and therefore are not in the mood to send sweeping verses... I like you and your posts and so am just trying to offer some friendly advice so that you don't get a bad and undeserved reputation.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 pm

I didn't head any post Peed off and i certainly wouldn't do it for that, infact i don't even know how to headlind a single post within a thread

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:48 pm

The point I was making about his longevity was in terms as a singles competitor. I remember watching him win the intercontinental title at 1991 against Mr Perfect. Bret after he retired I so wanted him to stay on TV and he never did. I still felt he had so much more to offer and it was a shame his career was cut short. A true wrestling legend though.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:50 pm

the-gaffer wrote:I didn't head any post Peed off and i certainly wouldn't do it for that, infact i don't even know how to headlind a single post within a thread

:/ a quirk of the internet them mate because it shows as that on my computer...

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 pm

I dont think Bret was ever going to stay on TV tho for much longer, going by what he said in his book when he signed his last WWF Contract in 96 he was looking to wrestle until he was about 42 and retire in 2000, he didn't go out as planned tho

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 pm

JoshSansom wrote:
the-gaffer wrote:I didn't head any post Peed off and i certainly wouldn't do it for that, infact i don't even know how to headlind a single post within a thread

it shows on mine too but I'm saying I definitely didn't do it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:00 pm

the-gaffer wrote:
JoshSansom wrote:

it shows on mine too but I'm saying I definitely didn't do it

I believe you. Not sure what's up with it.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 pm

It did it on one of your earlier ones too Gaff which is I think part of why it flared earlier.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Maccs the only time I've wrote that today was the headline in our PM

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 pm

I think it's copying it on some of your messages, best to double check them before posting else you'll be looking like your kicking off on more people! Wink

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:16 pm

I went for Chris Benoit in this but it was a hard choice between him and Hart, Both were tremendous workers, with Hart probably being slightly better i must admit, but there was something about the intensity and realism that Benoit brought to his work that really sets him apart, both men were clearly perfectionists when it comes to there in ring work but both translated in different ways, while Hart was smooth as silk in terms of his manouveres Benoit drew you in with blood, sweat and tears intensity, both were masters in the ring but Benoit's style is just my personal preferance

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:21 pm

Good reason, nothing for me in Pro Wrestling is better than someone who can draw you in and make you believe

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 am

I see where you are coming from on Benoit... It is amazing that a guy with such a heel character (i.e. intense and liking to hurt people) was able to get over with the fans due to his dedication and effort.

It has been the real basis for Orton's face run at the moment, though his intensity seems to veer into anger; whereas Benoit always had that cold, controlled intensity to him which made him more interesting to watch.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by randy-poffo Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:13 am

i have got to go for Bret.
He is the one wrestler that i have liked through out my time from watching wrestling.
Even when Hogan was in his prime,and i first started getting into wrestling they was always something about Bret that made me want to watch.
And for me they are only two others who are as good technically as him and they are Kurt Angle and Dynamite Kid.

randy-poffo

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 am

Bret Hart, hands down. Not only the greatest Canadian wrestler, but the greatest wrestler full stop.

He was technically brilliant, always knew where he was and what he was doing, everything was seamless. The fact that he never injured an opponent to the point where they couldn't work the next day says it all in my opinion - he embodied what pro-wrestling should be all about, make it look as real as possible without injuring yourself or your opponent.

People talk about Bret's 5 Moves of Doom but they were signature moves - if you've been watching wrestling for a while you can practically call moves before they're hit - and I'd go so far as to say that if you look back at Bret's pay per view matches he's got more different finishes to his matches than just about any other headliner.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:06 am

I really wanted to go with Chris Jericho but he's just not quite at the same level as Bret Hart for me. He was just fantastic at everything he did.

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 am

Chris Jericho
Followed By Benoit

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Bret is a must for me too like Y2 said if anyone thinks Bret only had 5 moves of Doom then they don't know what they're talking about

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Bret Hart raised the standard of wrestling. Before you had the likes of Hogan and Warrior who 'technically' weren't the most gifted and lived of their persona big time than their in-ring skills. Bret got the best out of Shawn Michaels and made him a big name after their feud and he did so with Stone Cold Steve Austin which for me is the best feud of all time. The only thing that annoyed me when I look back was when they wasted him in a feud with Jerry Lawler!!

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I went for Edge not much between Hart, Jericho and Benoit but sheer excitement Edge gets it for me.
Always thought the Rock was American.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 pm

I voted for Edge, because I was an WWF Attitude kid so never knew about Bret till much later.

Also, the Rock isnt Canadian, he was born in California. He did play football there for a while, but certainly isnt canadian.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

He's dual nationality, his father was from Nova Scotia

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by User Name Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Where's Santino on this list?

User Name

Back to top Go down

Post by goldustismyhero Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 am

well after much deliberation ive voted for Owen Hart, RIP,

Massivly under-rated and would go as far as saying under used

IMO would definatly have held the big one if it was for that tragic night

goldustismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down