The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders

4 posters

Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders Empty 32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders

Post by GSC Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

Record: 4-12
Offensive Rank: 18th (Passing: 8th, Rushing: 28th)
Defensive Rank: 18th (Passing: 20th, Rushing 18th)

What went well?
Carson Palmer threw for 4000 yards apparently. Brandon Myers had a nice year for a receiving TE. Moore, DHB and Streater all had passable years. Seabass and Lechler continued to be Seabass and Lechler

What went wrong?
Gregg Knapp's ZBS was not a fit. Defense was pretty shoddy, highlighted by Doug Martin running riot. Oakland wasn't overly bad in 1 area, just bad in all of them. Having to dump Al Davis' contracts will hinder the Raiders for a couple of years

Prospects for 2013?

Reggie McKenzie getting the Raiders out of cap hell will take more time so the immediate prospects of the Raiders don't look overly rosy. This roster is riddled of holes and the Carson Palmer trade really hindered the Raiders ability to add cheap young talent to it. Darren McFadden behind a better scheme and Palmer on a reduced salary should give the Raiders firepower to be competitive however.

Projected 2013 draft pick:
I'm guessing with no 2nd and many holes the Raiders would love to get out of #3 and pick up a new 2nd rounder. Should they stay put, like the Jaguars its a long term fix so I don't think Geno Smith goes here, so BPA falls to Star Louta-something
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders

Post by Number-25 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:50 pm

Wow! I hadn't actually realised Oakland ranked 18th in both offense and defense. They really should have managed a couple more wins on that basis.

Where to start with Oakland?? Palmer isn't a bad QB and McFadden is an excellent RB when he's fit. There's also enough at WR and TE to make this a half decent offense if they can just somehow get their act together. It's just another team who need to settle down, get some stability, think long-term and draft smart. They're going to be paying the price of the previous regime for a little while yet though so it will be tough. You would hope for them that Reggie McKenzie is the man to help them do that. Given his history with Green Bay, he should have a decent idea of how to build a football team. Still though, what a first GM gig that is.... sorting out the Oakland Raiders. Tough first year for him last year though but they were crippled with the lack of draft picks. Big offseason for them this year. I hope they don't reach for a QB high in the draft. This isn't exactly a team that is thinking Superbowl just now though so Palmer can still give them what they need just now. This team needs some solid building blocks!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days: Oakland Raiders

Post by GSC Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:57 pm

The thing with Oakland, is there really isnt anybody who stands out. Maybe McFadden but hes always injured/had a bad year. Just some good, a lot of meh-bad.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:06 pm

I think we need to get back to the basics and start sticking with the run. It was hard last year because we were always coming from behind and/or the run wasn't working with ZBS.

We have a solid base on offence with DMC, Reece, Palmer, Myers, and potentially Streater who I like a lot. The defense is a train wreck at the moment though. No corners worthy of a starting spot, no discernable pass rush, and a DT tandem that badly needs refreshing.

Lots of changing to come this offseason but I suspect we are looking at make or break for Dennis Allen. Reggie should have time, but I don't think the same applies to Dennis if we look as bad as we did last year.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:12 pm

I think both need time ultimately, Allen's been dealt a tough hand, as McKenzie had to dump some good talent to get under the cap.

Think its a min of 3-4 years for the pair
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

Lets say Kamerion Wimbley can be kept for example. Its a boost.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:39 pm

already over the cap for next season.

Palmer and DHB likely to be asked to take a drop in wages. Lechler is likely to be cut after we put another punter on IR toward the back end of the season. Lechler was on far too much for a punter and if he wants to stay in Oakland he'll have to take a heck of a lot lower pay next year.

I don't see Seymour or Kelly returning. I'm actually hoping neither do. Also two rumours circulating around the draft we will either look at trading down to gain more picks and hopefully fill the many holes on defense or if Palmer doesn't budge on his salary he may be cut and Oakland look to the draft for a QB

As for next season the change back to the old blocking scheme should bring the running game back for DMC and take some of the pressure of CP3. We'll have Jacoby Ford back who I think could have a huge season, adding to Streater, Moore and hopefully we can resign Myers

I'm not expecting play-offs, not really expecting a winning season, but I do think we'll improve, more competitive in games which will be a step in the right direction ahead of what should be a full compliment of draft picks the year after

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

I think we'll improve too Gazzy, but I am fully prepared for a couple of years of tough work to get this franchise anywhere close to where it needs to be. I trust Reggie as things stand and I think he needs time to rectify the horrific cap issues as well as some of the duds we've had.

I like Streater, Criner and Burris, and I also liked the look of King in preseason when he had a couple of punts. If he is cheaper than Lechler (which of course he is...) then we have to cut Shane loose. Bergstrom might get a bigger role this year too, so overall what Reggie has done so far isn't bad.

I hope we draft either Werner or Lotulelei (assuming we stick at 3ish). I'm wavering between the two of them at the moment, either would be a huge upgrade.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

I'm going to put up an initial mock draft soon but my first instincts have the Chiefs, Jaguars, Raiders and Eagles picking Joeckel, Geno Smith, Barkley and Fisher respectively.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

Barkley wont be a top 4 pick.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

GSC wrote:Barkley wont be a top 4 pick.
I probably agree. I have sort of incorporated trades and reaching into my draft without actually moving teams. I expect Barkley to be a player whose value increases drastically between now and the draft. A bit like Tannehill last year.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

Think he'll end up more like Jimmy Clausen than Tannehill
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 6:04 pm

Just one wee point on the ZBS thing - I remember the Redskins O-Linemen talking about how the first year in Shanahan's ZBS was tough and how it took time to get it down. I think that was backed up by what we saw on the field - 1st year dreadful, 2nd year better but hampered by injuries, this year just past, very good. Gotta have a specific type of agile and nimble lineman to pull it off though but and am not familiar enough with Oakland to know if they have them or not. Point is, it's not surprising that last year was bad for them, but it doesn't necessarily follow that next year will be the same provides they have the right guys for the system.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down