The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ???

+7
Mr Bounce
School Project
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Rowley
superflyweight
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ??? Empty Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 am

Or would people just say a la Lacy...He was overrated!!..................

Should Rees win would it rank higher than ;

Napoles v Stacey
Curry v Honey .....???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ??? Empty Re: Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ???

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

No one is backing the wee Welsh lad.

Its gonna be another brave, gutsy Brit going down fighting at the hands of a far more classier American.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ??? Empty Re: Rees Upset!! - Would it be the greatest Brit upset of alltime ???

Post by superflyweight Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 am

Turpin beating Robinson just about trumps them all, Truss.

I think Lloyd beating Don is probably a bigger upset as well. Broner hasn't nearly reached the heights that Curry was operating at and although Honeyghan was a far better fighter than Rees, to go to America and take out the p4p king is a monumental achievement and was a huge upset.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

Rees has no chance but he has nothing to lose.

Turpin v Robinson does trump them all.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 am

It is right up there but you’d probably have to say Lloyd turning over Curry would trump it. As superfly has said Broner looks the part and seems to have the potential to be a P4P star but as of yet that potential has not been fulfilled so you will have people inevitably jumping off the bandwagon fairly quickly. No such caveats exist with Curry who had enough on his ledger to be accepted as, if not top of the tree, pretty damned close to it.

None of this should detract though, if Rees does this he deserves nothing but praise and all the attention it would surely garner him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am

It would be a huge upset but no, the above mentioned are/would be bigger upsets

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't curry in most people's top 3 p4p and was between him and Hagler for #1. He was suppose to be the successor of Leonard who was retired, Lloyd was British champ and had only had like 1 or 2 fights at European level

Broner is a talent but at THIS point of his career (not what he could soon become) he is on the fringes of p4p top 10 and barring Demarco he hasn't fought anyone of any pedigree except for a lot of good but not great fighters. Rees is also a world champ, and one that has fought at a higher weight and used to fighting bigger, stronger man and is probably more suited to lightweight

I terms of Odds the upset would be huge as Rees is a ridiculously huge underdog

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 am

Forgot Turpin-Robbo....good shout!!

Problem for Rees is whether people would take an upset seriously!! Honey never got the respect he deserved (pains me to say that!) and I feel Broner was "a triumph of marketing If he loses.."

However I look though.......I can't see a way Rees wins...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 am

I feel Broner is perhaps second behind Alvarez for the "next big thing" tag. Arguably Donaire should be the one making all the headlines but he doesn't seem to be making that leap into the public consciousness (maybe his promotor's fault or some other factor...another thread for another time perhaps).

That being said, Broner still hasn't made his mark by beating a highly ranked well respected opponent with style and plenty to spare (neither haz Alvarez really) and therefore, whilst he's certainly got the potential to be a "star", if he was to lose to Rees, I'm sure many would be quick to dismiss him as another hype job which would be a an insult to both Broner and Rees.

Would it be classed as an upset if Rees won? Depends who you ask. The regular boxing fans would say "yes", your man in the street wouldn't have a clue. Sadly, Danny Williams' victory over Mike Tyson made more headlines and was considered more of a shock than anything Gavin might get if he was to pull off the win.

Ideally, Broner gets tagged hard at least once and the smile wiped off his face even if it's only momentarily. Sadly, even getting off the deck won't be enough for him to think he's the mutt's nuts.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 am

Broner outclassed Demarco who fought Valero and beat Villeres a good Freddie Roach fighter.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

Demarco got a real pasting from Valero and before Broner was on a one sided loss agaisnt Linares but linares is the most fragile man in boxing and got knocked out

Demarco was a very good win, but not really great and Demarco fought the wrong fight by trying to get close and ended up just stayig in range getting hit whereas he should have used his range

He was the boss at SFW by apart from burns who didn't want to fight him or the Asian guy who no-one really knows, the division was void of talent and he was huge at the weight

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

I just hope Gavin puts a good account of himself in. Think Macklin... A guy who was over matched but due to his style and grit, can fight on and get big fights.

We've seen before that even in a loss you can win fans and more fights... but sadly (for a fan of Gavins aswell), I picture this being in the league of Jennings v Cotto, Lockett v Pavlik and Murray v Rios.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 pm

I keep looking at this fight and thinking "Do I buy into Broner's hype?" yet also "Do I stick a couple of quid on Rees for the upset?".

I think I will be surprised if Gavin just "rolls over". I have a feeling he will make it competetive for a few rounds at least. Plus Broner's such an irritating little man I would LOVE to see him lose.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Kirkland Laing against Roberto Duran must be considered quite a big upset as well, but have to say that Honeyghan vs Curry is the biggest for me in my living memory.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:19 pm

In hindsight Laing-Duran wasn't an upset at all...................But granted like Honey it was more to with ignorance of how good Laing was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in both cases going into the fight there was only going to be one winner who was then beaten. Definition of an upset I think and something that still makes the sport exciting.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 pm

I have just looked at the pound 4 pound rankings on the ring website and they have Broner at 6!!!!! Ahead of Manny, Wlad and Bradley Erm

I didn't even think he was in the top 10. Might be more of an upset then I originally thought.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm

As far as achievement goes, it would be similar to the above but as far as great upsets, Honey or Stracey get the greatest upsets just because they were fighting great fighters in their own backyard. If I was to choose, I'd say Honey's was the best. He didn't just beat Curry, he beat him up and Curry was a never the same fighter again.

As great an achievement as Turpin v Robinson was it was, a Robinson, off the back of a Euro tour and in Turpin's home country.

Sadly, I think if Rees does win they boo boys will try make out Broner was nothing really, like they did Lacy.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:19 pm

First 4 rounds of Curry-MCCallum were the best iIve ever seen Curry box...

So bollox..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I can't really add anything to the table. Turpin, Lloyd and Laing.

However, an entertaining upset involving two Americans

Morrison Vs Bentt (round 1 TKO)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWL-gWoXKI

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Happytravelling wrote:As far as achievement goes, it would be similar to the above but as far as great upsets, Honey or Stracey get the greatest upsets just because they were fighting great fighters in their own backyard. If I was to choose, I'd say Honey's was the best. He didn't just beat Curry, he beat him up and Curry was a never the same fighter again.

As great an achievement as Turpin v Robinson was it was, a Robinson, off the back of a Euro tour and in Turpin's home country.

Sadly, I think if Rees does win they boo boys will try make out Broner was nothing really, like they did Lacy.

I don't think that'll be the case. Broner is clearly a talented fighter but is probably getting to much hype at this stage of his career, 18 months from now if he progresses as his is then it will be justified. Lacy on the other hand was not a talented fighter, he had big muscles & a big punch. I watched a couple of his fights leading up to the Calzaghe fight & saw nothing special in him & didn't think he'd beat Calzaghe and since that fight he's proved he's nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm

How did that fight pan for him Truss? Truss, I appreciate he's your hero.

Up to the Honey fight he was 25(18)-0 , 10 of the wins title fights. After he was 9-5(4), with only 3 of his wins title fights (only one a world title).

He was great but losing had its affect on him, like it did so many fighters before and after him. Its a confidence game.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 pm

"Lacy on the other hand was not a talented fighter, he had big muscles & a big punch. I watched a couple of his fights leading up to the Calzaghe fight & saw nothing special in him & didn't think he'd beat Calzaghe and since that fight he's proved he's nothing."

You're exactly making my point. Many thought Lacy was the next big thing. When any next "big thing" hits the scene they divide opinion and fans will claim they're the real deal and there will always be those who say they are over rated. The latter are always right if the next big thing's career falls apart around their ears. The sport is a history of them!

There are those who still try to deminish Calzaghe's performance by saying Lacy was "over rated" etc. Some people will simply not accept a good performance because of their prejudice.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Happytravelling wrote:"Lacy on the other hand was not a talented fighter, he had big muscles & a big punch. I watched a couple of his fights leading up to the Calzaghe fight & saw nothing special in him & didn't think he'd beat Calzaghe and since that fight he's proved he's nothing."

You're exactly making my point. Many thought Lacy was the next big thing. When any next "big thing" hits the scene they divide opinion and fans will claim they're the real deal and there will always be those who say they are over rated. The latter are always right if the next big thing's career falls apart around their ears. The sport is a history of them!

There are those who still try to deminish Calzaghe's performance by saying Lacy was "over rated" etc. Some people will simply not accept a good performance because of their prejudice.

I'm not sure if I am making your point exactly but agree that 'the next big thing' can often divide opinion.

Anybody that try's to diminish Calzaghe's performance in that fight is an idiot, it was a career best, punch perfect performance from Calzaghe against a big punching but limited boxer that American boxing were hyping up at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Have to agree it was a wonderful performance by Calzaghe........Lacy was respected if overrated..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down