The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off

+11
ShahenshahG
milkyboy
bellchees
TopHat24/7
Strongback
paul12342
Boxtthis
88Chris05
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off - Page 2 Empty Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 19 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Donaire just posted this...

NEWS BREAK: I want you guys to hear it from me first. I am NOT going to NYC for the presser this Thursday bc Rigo is backing off his agreement to VADA drug testing. Rigo's team verbally agreed to VADA testing both online and in negotiations. But now that the contract to start testing is infront of them, they are finding every excuse not to sign and delay the start of the testing. I have NOT signed my fight contract yet to fight him so I have no obligation to fight ONLY HIM. It disappoints me that top fighters these days run from everything that will hold professional boxing integrity to its highest standard. I will be looking into other opponents with my manager, Cameron Dunkin immediately.

Can't blame Donaire, love to see what the Rigo fan boys have to say about this....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:24 pm

Does anybody have a link to the Marroquin fight? I cant find it on youtube. So far I've watched 4 fights from the Cordoba fight & although he wasn't massively impressive throughout that fight, nor was Cordoba, he is a huge talent with the only thing going against him is his lack of experience. I do not think this fight is a miss match & don't think he gets pancaked. He is going to give Donaire a lot of problems, he has fast hands, is accurate & has reasonable power. Also you cant ko what you cant hit. Donaire is going to bring the best out in this guy.

Back to top Go down

Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like Rigo vs Donaire is off

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtmwht_2012-09-15-guillermo-rigondeaux-vs-robert-marroquin_sport#.USjeAFebiSo
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:54 pm

@mackem & BF88

Thanks guys I'll give it a try later. I think I'm going to watch Donaire's last 5 fights again as well to try & get a better perspective on both fighters & how this fight could pan out. Mackem are you still backing Rigo?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:55 pm

sohotnot wrote:@mackem & BF88

Thanks guys I'll give it a try later. I think I'm going to watch Donaire's last 5 fights again as well to try & get a better perspective on both fighters & how this fight could pan out. Mackem are you still backing Rigo?

Course he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXnu31-k_U

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
sohotnot wrote:@mackem & BF88

Course he is

Nice touch shah that raised a laugh! You still think it'll be a Shrove Tuesday moment for Rigo?

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 23 Feb 2013, 4:03 pm

I'll be surprised if it goes past the first round.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 23 Feb 2013, 5:40 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

Mackem are you still backing Rigo?

Course he is

Yeah why not (even though i feel i may end up with egg on my face).

Donaire does best against the come forward types. Guys who fight with heart and fire back when hit. The other guys he fights he has the skills to outbox. He can get a bit carried away when he has someone on the ropes, and when he does, he often leaves himself open for counters.

Rigo has the better skill set (Donaires skill set is better adapted to the pro game).

If Rigo slows the pace of the fight, slips with his hands up (rather than by his torso) and overcomes the tricky moments then he should be able to counter and move his way to a points victory. I see Donaire being a little over zealous.

Rigo will need to be in the best shape of his life If he hits the canvas at any point in this fight he'll lose. Hopefully some early well placed body shots will slow Donaire down in the later rounds.

The smart money is Donaire but I'll stand by my man.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:
sohotnot wrote:

Mackem are you still backing Rigo?

Course he is

Yeah why not (even though i feel i may end up with egg on my face).

Donaire does best against the come forward types. Guys who fight with heart and fire back when hit. The other guys he fights he has the skills to outbox. He can get a bit carried away when he has someone on the ropes, and when he does, he often leaves himself open for counters.

Rigo has the better skill set (Donaires skill set is better adapted to the pro game).

If Rigo slows the pace of the fight, slips with his hands up (rather than by his torso) and overcomes the tricky moments then he should be able to counter and move his way to a points victory. I see Donaire being a little over zealous.

Rigo will need to be in the best shape of his life If he hits the canvas at any point in this fight he'll lose. Hopefully some early well placed body shots will slow Donaire down in the later rounds.

The smart money is Donaire but I'll stand by my man.

Fair enough mackem you make some good points & we've all been left with egg on our faces at some point. I agree with you that Donaire is best against come forward fighters who fight with heart & try to engage in a brawl with him, & I think Rigo performs better than Donaire against a counter puncher or a guy not throwing much. If he gets Rigo on the ropes I don't see him getting countered to be honest, but he could become a little over zealous if he gets a little frustrated. But if he catches him then he's not gonna let him off the hook like Marroquin did its gonna be game over. Defo Rigo is gonna have to be in the shape of his life & no show boating but he seems to have a good engine but so does Donaire. The things against Rigo is his lack of experience in the pro game, he's not faced a fighter of Donaires calibre before, Donaire has been in with plenty of top fighters. An interesting fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 23 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

In the pro ranks we know next to nothing about Rigondeaux and I do think some are being blinded by his amateur exploits. The only man he's faced that comes to being world class is Cordoba and he struggled massively, yes he's inexperienced but that's the whole point, thus far he's done nothing to suggest he lives with someone of Donaires class.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 7:41 pm

I've only based my opinion on his last 5 pro fights & I only learned about him on here. I think he is a talented boxer but his inexperience is a huge factor we cannot overlook. The Cordoba fight was not a great fight, Cordoba did very little in that fight & Rigo pretty much cruised it. How were Ramos, Kennedy & Marroquin rated at the time of their fights? I think he has shown, speed, accuracy, reasonable power, decent movement & footwork and appears to have reasonable stamina admitedly in not high pressure fights. Donaire is clearly a class above anybody he's faced before but stylewise I don't think is anything new for rigo. Donaire has not faced anybody with Rigo's style before though. I'm not getting carried away with Rigo but I think he will make Donaire think a little, not saying he's going to win either but I don't think he gets pancaked either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

Ramos, Kennedy and Marroquin were all overmatched opponents whom a world champion shouldn't be facing, don't want to be too harsh on Rigo but his opposition has been fairly poor.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:46 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Ramos, Kennedy and Marroquin were all overmatched opponents whom a world champion shouldn't be facing, don't want to be too harsh on Rigo but his opposition has been fairly poor.

Interesting as all had had more fights than Rigo but they all seemed overmatched after the first bell. With the Cordoba fight was Rigo an overmatched opponent, who had he previously fought before Cordoba? From what the commentary team said he was favorite but based on what? You have to give the guy credit for wanting Donaire but could be a huge mistake.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:04 am

Ghosty doesn't want to be too harsh on rigo Wink .. Fought the very awkward cordoba in his 7th fight, Ramos may not be a worthy challenger but he was world champion when rigo fought him. Of course donaire is a step up in class, he's a step up for everyone, so credit to rigo for taking it as his 12th fight as a pro.

Yep he's shown some vulnerability, yep donaire will be favourite. Exciting fight in my book view though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:05 am

It's all about levels.

Donaire may not have faced anyone like Rigo but he has faced his fair share of world class opponents so we know where he's at. Rigondeaux hasn't faced anyone who's like Donaire but nor has he faced anyone near his level so there's a lot of unanswered questions as far as the pro ranks go. I'm predicting an early KO but it's hard to really judge Rigo as he's so damn inexperienced, for someone of 11 fights his level of opposition has actually been very good but it doesn't prepare you at all for a world class operator.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:08 am

Its going to be the second pancake day of the year... Run

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:11 am

sohotnot wrote:I've only based my opinion on his last 5 pro fights & I only learned about him on here. I think he is a talented boxer but his inexperience is a huge factor we cannot overlook. The Cordoba fight was not a great fight, Cordoba did very little in that fight & Rigo pretty much cruised it. How were Ramos, Kennedy & Marroquin rated at the time of their fights? I think he has shown, speed, accuracy, reasonable power, decent movement & footwork and appears to have reasonable stamina admitedly in not high pressure fights. Donaire is clearly a class above anybody he's faced before but stylewise I don't think is anything new for rigo. Donaire has not faced anybody with Rigo's style before though. I'm not getting carried away with Rigo but I think he will make Donaire think a little, not saying he's going to win either but I don't think he gets pancaked either.

Ramos was not really anything to shout about, in the fight where he won the world title, he was losing every single round clearly, before he landed a one punch KO money shot.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:12 am

Agree entirely ghosty... We don't know how good he is as a pro... Flashes of brilliance mixed in with the not so good. His mistakes will get punished, but if he fights smart, he could make it interesting. I think he has the style to trouble donaire, but suspect not the durability. I'm interested to find out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by StagiestCosine (TMM) Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:20 am

Going into the bout Cordoba was 37-2-2, Rigo was 6-0.

Rigo won the first 6 rounds. Cordoba came on strong in the second half of the fight.

Rigo Won.

It was only natural a 6 fight novice would struggle over 12 rounds (even though he seemed fit throughout).

Rigo is a counter puncher, it's no easy feat winning in that way when you are giving away 5 inches in height.

StagiestCosine (TMM)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2