The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy vs Wales Match Thread

+37
Knowsit17
Casartelli
glamorganalun
The Bachelor
kiakahaaotearoa
Imperialbigdave
Heaf
GunsGerms
flyhalffactory
cakeordeath
LeinsterFan4life
t1000advancedprototype
Morgannwg
George Carlin
Barney McGrew did it
AlastairW
Dave.
mankiaow
B91212
tigertattie
mystiroakey
Sgt_Pooly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Looseheaded
nathan
stub
Cari
nobbled
LemonyVodka5
IanBru
thebluesmancometh
bsando
Pal Joey
wales606
Cyril
100%beefy
maestegmafia
41 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Italy vs Wales Match Thread - Page 6 Empty Italy vs Wales Match Thread

Post by maestegmafia Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

SIX NATIONS: ITALY V WALES
Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome Date: Saturday 23 February Kick-off: 14:30 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on BBC One Wales, BBC One HD, Red Button and online; listen on BBC Radio Wales & online and BBC Radio Cymru; live text commentary on BBC Sport website; watch again on BBC iPlayer; highlights on Sunday's Scrum V

Wales team to face Italy:

Leigh Halfpenny. Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North, Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Richard Hibbard, Adam Jones, Andrew Coombs, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones (captain), Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau

Replacements: Ken Owens, Paul James, Craig Mitchell, Alun Wyn Jones, Sam Warburton, Lloyd Williams, James Hook, Scott Williams.

Italian Team to Face Wales:

Andrea Masi (Wasps); Giovanbattista Venditti (Zebre), Tommaso Benvenuti (Treviso), Gonzalo Canale (La Rochelle), Luke McLean (Treviso); Kristopher Burton (Treviso), Edoardo Gori (Treviso); Andrea Lo Cicero (Racing Metro), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Treviso), Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester, capt), Antonio Pavanello (Treviso), Francesco Minto (Treviso), Alessandro Zanni (Treviso), Simone Favaro (Treviso), Manoa Vosawai (Treviso).
Replacements: Davide Giazzon (Zebre), Alberto De Marchi (Treviso), Lorenzo Cittadini (Treviso), Quentin Geldenhuys (Zebre), Paul Derbyshire (Treviso), Tobias Botes (Treviso), Luciano Orquera (Zebre), Gonzalo Garcia (Zebre).

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Wales Match Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Italy vs Wales Match Thread

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Lloyd Williams is full on useless, since Phillips left the field he's killed our play.

Although it doesn't help making both halfback changes at same time!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:13 pm

Commentators mention the birth place of players too much for my liking. They're on the pitch now so why does that matter?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Well that was touch and go IMHO fly, you see those tackles come in early all the time, half a second before the balls touched!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Commentators mention the birth place of players too much for my liking. They're on the pitch now so why does that matter?

You couldn't cope with Irish commentary - especially when it comes to their Gaelic Sports. You get the player's family history during the commentary. I think it's funny.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

How do you prove a deliberate or accidental knock on? Surely Cuthbert was only thinking he could catch that and score?

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Morg

Noone has to roll away after a maul goes down, if your the wrong side youve done a good job and gain a turnover.

Italy have been a little unlucky so far today, but as the day dries up they are losing touch with Wales.

I qould say Wales have been very deffo the much better team, however Italy should have had a pen try and Biggar should have had 10 mins in the bin. Might have made a difference but not alot

Clueless. picard
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

A perfect example of why Biggar is better than Hook
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

James Hook what are you doing????

Howley has killed this game, we need a big win for confidence and he throws numbers of replacements on for no reason!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Leigh Halfpenny has been picked as MOTM by the Italian media. clap

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Noone has to roll away after a maul goes down, if your the wrong side youve done a good job and gain a turnover.

Italy have been a little unlucky so far today, but as the day dries up they are losing touch with Wales.

I qould say Wales have been very deffo the much better team, however Italy should have had a pen try and Biggar should have had 10 mins in the bin. Might have made a difference but not alot

Clueless. picard

i'd agree with him (jiffy agreed too) that he tackled the man before he touched the ball.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Clueless. picard

I agree anyone who says you have to roll away from a maul is pretty much away with the fairies
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Marginally nathan, Ive seen a hundred of them allowed, in all sorts of positions so I was never worried about him being penalised.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Poite is hard to understand sometimes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Clueless. picard

I agree anyone who says you have to roll away from a maul is pretty much away with the fairies

Yeah and admitting where you have been wrong is the trait of a grown man. Something you should learn as you have lacked this trait many times in the past. I don't have anything to add BTW, just that your post is clueless.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 pm

nathan wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Clueless. picard

i'd agree with him (jiffy agreed too) that he tackled the man before he touched the ball.

Its alright Nathan everyone who is watching it here knows it was a pen try, and that you dont have to roll away from the maul...... two remarks which have made us smile

Clueless is correct
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:19 pm

yeah that was definitely a yellow, ref didn't pick up on it though unfortunately for Italy, but they deserved to lose, terrible game.

Well done Wales! Looking forward to game in 2 weeks at Murrayfield!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm

No ambition by Hook at the end, with the replacements no they should have been going for it
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm

Nice the way the PA plays Delilah every time Wales scored.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 pm

What an anti climax, just as we get going Howley gives us a handicap by changing key players!!

1/2p gets another MOTM by default, IMHO Biggar and especially Jenkins were far better. Jenkins couldve got it for his first half performance, that was immens, and like the Jenkins of old!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm

nathan wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Clueless. picard

laughing Yeah now jiffy is all of a sudden a neutral. He shows his colours alright, just like you have been in this thread. My colours are now blue for this evening btw. 11/4 Wink.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm

wales

How frustrating is that, your not coming off the bench to close out a close game, your on to make an impression, but then Carter couldnt do much with Williams inside him!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 pm

mystiroakey wrote:good win wales..

you dont suck that much any more.

bet you do

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Italy have been a little unlucky what with losing Parisse, getting nothing when tackled early when it looked like they were about to score a try and take the lead, the bounce of the ball for Wales first try and a few bad decisions from the ref but I expected Wales to win all the same ... shame though, if those things hadn't gone against them if could have been more competitive

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:What an anti climax, just as we get going Howley gives us a handicap by changing key players!!

1/2p gets another MOTM by default, IMHO Biggar and especially Jenkins were far better. Jenkins couldve got it for his first half performance, that was immens, and like the Jenkins of old!!!

I suppose you can't rely on your first 15 players and so howley is rotating them.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Bit disappointed with Hook even tho he only had 10 mins, showed no ambition in a game that was won, got turned over yet again.

Biggar deffo in driving seat, Gethin Jenkins had a great game, and Matthew Ress in for next game
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Well done Wales

Now lets see what Les Blues can do now
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm

It certainly looked as though the Italy fly-half debate is going to continue.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Fly

Rees in for who? Owens made another impact, and Hibbard tackled his gonads off!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 pm

A good win's a good win. And you can only play what's in front of you. But what a truly awful side Italy are. They have the handling, ambition, pace and footballing skills of a pub side - with just one good home win in them most years. Even the once great Castro seemed to be playing with a broken back. I just wonder if they had to pre-qualify to get into the 6N it might improve the overall quality of the competition.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:32 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:A good win's a good win. And you can only play what's in front of you. But what a truly awful side Italy are. They have the handling, ambition, pace and footballing skills of a pub side - with just one good home win in them most years. Even the once great Castro seemed to be playing with a broken back. I just wonder if they had to pre-qualify to get into the 6N it might improve the overall quality of the competition.

Did you not watch the France game?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 pm

nathan wrote:
Barney McGrew did it wrote:A good win's a good win. And you can only play what's in front of you. But what a truly awful side Italy are. They have the handling, ambition, pace and footballing skills of a pub side - with just one good home win in them most years. Even the once great Castro seemed to be playing with a broken back. I just wonder if they had to pre-qualify to get into the 6N it might improve the overall quality of the competition.

Did you not watch the France game?

that'd be their one good home game

and France were awful
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:37 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Fly

Rees in for who? Owens made another impact, and Hibbard tackled his gonads off!!

bluesman
I would say Rees on the bench and Owens to start, unless I am wrong (missed about 10 mins at end of first half, and 10 mins of start of second) Hibbard missed what 3 out first 5 throw-ins. I think Jenkins, Owens, Jones is a better balance in the scrum, and whilst I assumed Hibbard has been brought in for his accuracy in the line-out and his agression in the loose-play I didnt see any real evidence today.

Italy could have had a bit more out of those poor throw-ins in the first 10 mins if luck went their way
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

It's difficult to take anything positive for Italy out of that game but let's not underestimate the effect of the weather. Argentina came to NZ in similar conditions and that was a road crash of a test with NZ similarly pulling away in the second half.

I think Italy are at their best at home and with benign conditions as they want to run the ball and offload. With the game slower and the conditions not suiting that style of play, they didn't have the accuracy or the gameplan to impose themselves on the game.

As for Wales, they retained their composure and got the crucial scores that took the game away from Italy and broke them psychologically. It wasn't pretty but it was effective and now with two wins under their belt I'll bet they're glued to the England France game to see the result but also prepare for the England match as even if England wins today, they suddenly have momentum on their side in a good way (instead of the losing way) and one should not underestimate the confidence and knock-on performance effect Wales can get from today.

Still a long way to go but Wales got the win today and that was the main thing. They only need to worry about what they can do rather than worrying about things out of their control.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

I thought Italy were good against France and have then not had much luck in the games vs Scotland and Wales. The only team to win convincingly in Italy in the last few years are NZ I think.

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:It's difficult to take anything positive for Italy out of that game but let's not underestimate the effect of the weather. Argentina came to NZ in similar conditions and that was a road crash of a test with NZ similarly pulling away in the second half.

I think Italy are at their best at home and with benign conditions as they want to run the ball and offload. With the game slower and the conditions not suiting that style of play, they didn't have the accuracy or the gameplan to impose themselves on the game.

As for Wales, they retained their composure and got the crucial scores that took the game away from Italy and broke them psychologically. It wasn't pretty but it was effective and now with two wins under their belt I'll bet they're glued to the England France game to see the result but also prepare for the England match as even if England wins today, they suddenly have momentum on their side in a good way (instead of the losing way) and one should not underestimate the confidence and knock-on performance effect Wales can get from today.

Still a long way to go but Wales got the win today and that was the main thing. They only need to worry about what they can do rather than worrying about things out of their control.

Agree with everything pretty much, apart from Wales thinking about England. Scotland up next, and that will be a huge, huge game for us. Forget recent history, Scotland will be favourites for that one I reckon. Wales will have to be at their best to get a result.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm

We will have to wait and see how Scotland go tomorrow.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Got the order wrong. Should be a good match. If Scotland finds a way to beat Ireland then both teams will be in the unfamiliar position (at least since the last autumn) of having momentum behind them and the game could turn out to be a cracker with both sides demonstrating they can score tries.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Much better half from Wales - well deserved win.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:It's difficult to take anything positive for Italy out of that game but let's not underestimate the effect of the weather. Argentina came to NZ in similar conditions and that was a road crash of a test with NZ similarly pulling away in the second half.

The voice of reason and truth as always Kia. Much unlike these arrogant English and bandwagon Scots.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm

I stick with what I and others have stated 1/2Penny on the wing Bryne at FB, AWJ in the second row no other changes from the starting team. Not a bad performance but I wish we stop going blind and far less aimless kicking.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Why bring Byrne in now? Headscratch
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Byrne makes sense if you are using your back 3 in th elin eoff quick ball...wales aren't.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Watching England France in a rugby club in Rome.

What a game..

Great day out.

Fantastic that the Italians are devastated with the match, they really are becoming very passionate about their rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Most dismal game of international rugby ever played.

Wales weren't as awful as Italy and won, so the dwindling fanbase will be happy and BBC Wales will film another annoying advert, but this bishbosh rubbish isn't going to be enough against Scotland and England will crush us in Cardiff if we play like this.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Cas, with regards to playing styles we didn't have much choice in these past two games, and it's worked for us.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Casartelli wrote:Most dismal game of international rugby ever played.

Wales weren't as awful as Italy and won, so the dwindling fanbase will be happy and BBC Wales will film another annoying advert, but this bishbosh rubbish isn't going to be enough against Scotland and England will crush us in Cardiff if we play like this.

You obviously haven't seen many international games
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Cas, with regards to playing styles we didn't have much choice in these past two games, and it's worked for us.

Not much choice??? We have the biggest and one of the fastest backlines in international rugby!

But we never throw them a pass, unless we're so far behind that the players abandon the gameplan.

Shambles.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Casartelli wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Cas, with regards to playing styles we didn't have much choice in these past two games, and it's worked for us.

Not much choice??? We have the biggest and one of the fastest backlines in international rugby!

But we never throw them a pass, unless we're so far behind that the players abandon the gameplan.

Shambles.

When we tried to use them in the first half, Roberts knocked on 3 times in a row!
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm

wales606 wrote:
Casartelli wrote:

Shambles.

When we tried to use them in the first half, Roberts knocked on 3 times in a row!

It was once. After 32 mins! Poor sod was so surprised someone had thrown him the ball.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Because that isn't the gameplan in tight games, which the weather can dictate (such as today). That style was also a must-do in France and it payed off. We need new halfbacks (or a form Priestland) to play the favoured type of game.

BTW, have you not noticed that the Ospreys, Scarlets (against certain teams) and the U20s all play the same style as Wales?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next