The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs France: Match Thread

+55
bluestonevedder
AlastairW
kingjohn7
EnglishReign
doctor_grey
englandglory4ever
LondonTiger
Alex_Germany
Hood83
A World Cup and 3 Finals
Luckless Pedestrian
captain carrantuohil
aitchw
dummy_half
lostinwales
Cyril
fa0019
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
yappysnap
welshy6
formerly known as Sam
doctornickolas
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
Josiah Maiestas
littlejohn
Knackeredknees
Casartelli
LemonyVodka5
MarcusHalberstram
George Carlin
Looseheaded
maestegmafia
Hound_of_Harrow
Duty281
Ozzy3213
wales606
ironrobson21
ChequeredJersey
glamorganalun
IanBru
Pal Joey
BamBam
GunsGerms
Morgannwg
tigertattie
100%beefy
tatterd
flyhalffactory
mckay1402
nobbled
stub
thebluesmancometh
mystiroakey
nathan
59 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

England vs France: Match Thread - Page 8 Empty England vs France: Match Thread

Post by nathan Sat 23 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Couldn't see a match thread for this, so i created this one.

Getting nervous, haven't a clue who will win.

nathan

Back to top Go down

England vs France: Match Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: England vs France: Match Thread

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

I agree that what makes a good starter and makes a good sub are different things
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

England vs France: Match Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: England vs France: Match Thread

Post by welshy6 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

like I said the ref helped previously but in rugby you have to play the ref and they won deservedly.
what changes would England supporters make to face Italy?
personally I would swap Youngs with Hartley. also Lawes on the bench, he was terrible. likewise Wood at 6 as I just haven't been impressed with him at 8.
also who is the other option at wing instead of ashton, I mean apart from annoying huget did he do anything???
positives, barret was a rock, Robshaw really played well, and goode and brown worked well.

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:08 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:From Nick Easter's Twitterfeed-

"From one No 8 to another. Picomoles u r something else with ball in hand pal!! Outstanding game. Subtle foot work with tree trunk thighs"

yeh Picamole was immense, Nyangae also outshone Lawes who to me looks like a big scary player but really didn't have much of an impact (mainly due to his missed tackles!!!!!)
However I think robshaw jut shaded Dusatoir which is all I need to say. Well played robshaw

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:16 pm

Good win for England - second best for the first half but kept themselves in the game and would have been leading at the half but for Fofana's brilliance, which showed great spirit.

Second half was a seriously different story - Haskell, Youngs and Vunipola made a difference to our dynamism at the breakdown, while at the same time France were making some very odd changes that weakened their side. OK, we had a couple of lucky moments (the accidental offside before Manu's try), but really were well on top from about 55 minutes other than when Picamoles got his hands on the ball.

Robshaw was immense again, and I thought Parling was quietly effective too. This game did though show that we need Morgan back as Wood is not really a great 8 and Lawes clearly isn't an international class blind side (too slow - Fofana wouldn't have got outside a true blindside to make his break).

The really good thing is that again we won the game reasonably comfortably while only putting in about a 6/10 performance overall.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:34 pm

Decent match with the ladies too. Off to a dinner now. Good luck to Scotland and Ireland tomorrow, not sure whom I want to win there, usually suuport the Scots but the lady is Irish so might get in trouble there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:43 pm

Well it pains me to say this as a Welshman but France, on that performance would have betaen us. (even given the second half substitutions, they were good enough to have had the game won by halftime.) And yes, the logical extension of this is that England are far too good for us at the moment. They play the game with more pace, have a better attack, as good a defence, and make less mistakes. England will win the GS in Cardiff Sad

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:46 pm

tatterd wrote:Well it pains me to say this as a Welshman but France, on that performance would have betaen us. (even given the second half substitutions, they were good enough to have had the game won by halftime.) And yes, the logical extension of this is that England are far too good for us at the moment. They play the game with more pace, have a better attack, as good a defence, and make less mistakes. England will win the GS in Cardiff Sad
Hooray! Smile

Hang on, you're not trying to jinx us, are you? Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
tatterd wrote:Well it pains me to say this as a Welshman but France, on that performance would have betaen us. (even given the second half substitutions, they were good enough to have had the game won by halftime.) And yes, the logical extension of this is that England are far too good for us at the moment. They play the game with more pace, have a better attack, as good a defence, and make less mistakes. England will win the GS in Cardiff Sad
Hooray! Smile

Hang on, you're not trying to jinx us, are you? Wink
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
would that it were so Cyril me old mucka. I don't know how it happened, but England got good

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:54 pm

Dissapointed with how Hartley and Lawes turned out in this game, yes it was tougher up front than Ireland but both seemed to be cruising rather than going all out like Youngs and Wood/Hask do from the start.

Not sure if they should start the next game or not.

Also I'd like to see Ashton dropped but then the only alternative to him in the EPS is Strettle who hardly inspires confidence.

So do people still want the 36/Manu partnership to be given a start or has this game made the Barritt/Manu pair come back in to favour? And should Brown still be on the wing or moved to 15? We definitely looked far less threatening out wide than France did.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:56 pm

Barrit could be dropped v Italy for 36.. But what is it gonna tell us... However they do we must start Barrit v Wales

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm

I'd stick with Barritt and Manu I the centre and bring Wade onto Ashtons wing for Italy.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 23 Feb 2013, 8:59 pm

Both Brown and Goode looked good today - as they did vs Ireland. Goode was poor vs Scotland but did have excuses. I hope there will be a time when we dont need Goode with Farrell at fly half but they complement each other well.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

Both Brown and Goode looked good today

Laugh Was Brown playing Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:02 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Both Brown and Goode looked good today

Laugh Was Brown playing Laugh
Were you watching?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

Ye, was Brown? Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:05 pm

bluesman,

I'm actually too happy with our win to bother with your inane arguments against players you decide you don't like?

Begone with your ill-informed, mealy-mouthed bile! Begone! Laugh

It's not wanted here.

You're the guy who doesn't rate Manu and thinks Mike Phillips is brilliant Laugh

Last edited by Cyril on 606v2 on Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:05 pm

Brown got the ball 4 times, all, I think, in the 2nd half, all as a winger, all off his wing none from kicks. He made 19m, beat 2 defenders and made an offload. Unlike Ashton, he made his 3 tackles and missed none. Not especially good, but better than Clerc, Ashton, Fall despite getting less ball than the first 2 and the same as the last one. For a FB playing somewhere he literally never ever plays for Quins, he's doing bloody well
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:12 pm

Agree Ozzy, Barritt and Manu is the best pairing.

How has JJ been playing, is he injured or something? Could he come in to the wing?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

Agree Ozzy, Barritt and Manu is the best pairing.

How has JJ been playing, is he injured or something? Could he come in to the wing?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:14 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:bluesman,

I'm actually too happy with our win to bother with your inane arguments against players you decide you don't like?

Begone with your ill-informed, mealy-mouthed bile! Begone! Laugh

It's not wanted here.

You're the guy who doesn't rate Manu and thinks Mike Phillips is brilliant Laugh
now steady on Cyril old bean. Spikey might not be the greatest SH but he hates England - wouldn't put it past him to tear a few of you a new arse whilst putting in a MOTM performance. (albeit in a losing side mad )

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

Brown didnt see the ball at all first half. Doesnt mean hes poor for it.

When he did get the ball in the second half he looked pretty damn good. One point he picked the ball off a ruck (or got passed to) no speed right in front of the French pack and he still made ground and was very very hard to put down. I think what makes really good players is the ability to make something out of nothing - Fofana did that (big time) in the first half - Brown did it late on.

couple more thing to add - isnt it funny how often that its Tuilagi who picks up interceptions - or gets to be in the right place at the right time to pick up the ball like he did today (and doesnt he look so much better running with the ball that without it)

And Ashton - I dont think hes quite as bad as many have made out today but it would be great if he could just pass the ball once or twice..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:17 pm

Strettle just scored a good finishers try for Sarries. Cant see him getting picked ahead of assclown though.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

Ashton tried his heart off. His work rate was fine. Had a bad game that's all. He won't be dropped

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:19 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Ye, was Brown? Laugh

Yeah hes stood right behind Tuilagi when he runs in his try watching someone else do all the work.
Tuilagi, the guy you spent the last 6 nations slagging off *shrug*

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:24 pm

Ashton has missed tackles in all three games so far and was directly responsible for tries being conceded against Scotland and now France.

He was exactly the same in the autumn too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:34 pm

Ashton's tackling was dire today. I'm generally one to spring to his defence but he was hesitant, unwilling and a liability when faced with the opposition. He needs 'resting' and maybe he'll find a bit of hunger. The Italy game would be ideal to give Wade a run but not Strettle, please. On second thoughts Strettle would be better than Ashton right now.

Overall the performance today was another milestone in the journey, tested to the limit but coming through, albeit with a bit of luck, but deserving of the result. They come out of this with a new list of stuff to work on but that's a never ending process anyway.

Well done lads.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:37 pm

Great performance by England there. Really impressive, especially the last quarter.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:42 pm

A second poachers try for Strettle tonight.

In ashtons defence one of those tackles was a bit of a no hope dive, and he'd done damn well after missing the first up tackle on Foffana to get on his feet and chase him down to even try it.

Thing is theres little or no point in england picking wingers at all when they are playing this style. They were very much set up to stop France first then worry about scoring later, same as vs Ireland. Negative but efficient.

With Brown and Goode being putting together try scoring records to rival Mark Jones England need a try scoring winger in there somewhere just on the off chance the team does create something.

Twelvetrees and Wade would make England a lot more fun, not convinced theyd win more mind.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:45 pm

yappysnap wrote:Agree Ozzy, Barritt and Manu is the best pairing.

Currently injured, and not been in great form when he has played.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm

I too thought that England looked much better when Lawes and Hartley came off and this seemed to tip the balance in England favour. Great result and the margin was better than I thought it would be. Hope that Lawes and Hartley now stay on the bench... Don't know about Ashton really - didn't cover himself in glory today with the missed tackle but not sure if England have better options just now.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 24 Feb 2013, 12:45 am

Cool I'm not bothered about the naysayers, and thanks for the nice ackowledgements from the non-English posters on England's overall performance.

clap

However, that was way short of the performance I expected from England. Some changes for Italy I would think.

PS - Robshaw got MOTM, but Wood and Picamoles had great games too.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 24 Feb 2013, 1:09 am

When a side can be as outplayed as England were in the first half, having both got their back row selection so badly wrong and missed so many tackles against a much better French side (both on paper and on the day) than turned up in weeks 1 and 2, to come away with a ten point win has to say something positive.

It's always difficult to judge from 100 feet up, but England seemed to me to play proper Test rugby in the second half. Shut them down, appeared to be the mantra, and by God it worked. France had the life squeezed out of them in the second period and there were very few alarms after Tuilagi's fortuitous try. Miles from perfect, no doubt, but there is something to be said for a side with the priceless knack of winning games in all conditions, whatever sort of collective form they may be in.

Dare I say that they remind me a little of the Welsh team of twelve months ago?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 7:47 am

On paper no. On the day no.. First 20 mins yes..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sun 24 Feb 2013, 9:36 am

Don't think you read what I wrote properly.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Sun 24 Feb 2013, 9:40 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Miles from perfect, no doubt, but there is something to be said for a side with the priceless knack of winning games in all conditions, whatever sort of collective form they may be in.

Well said. Winning is all that matters. Three from three speaks for itself. clap

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 9:42 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Don't think you read what I wrote properly.

your right soz!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:01 am

what's clear is that England need more options at Loosehead and 8. With corbs and Morgan the pack looks unstoppable, without them less so.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:01 am

Finally watched the game. Thought we (England) were pretty poor and the French changes clearly handed it to us.

Lineout - a mess. We had plenty of options re jumpers, and Hartley was brought in to be improve our stats in this area. We got dominated.

Scrum - We were battered. Again, Hartley was brought on to stiffen this up but failed to. Clearly not all his fault but given Wales' dominance of Italy, that's going to be a worry for the Welsh game. I think for the first time our lack of 'ballast' showed here, as well at the technical excellence of Domingo et al.

Breakdown - Very disappointing, we hit it slow, late and with too few numbers. Worrying players like Wood looked to have gone backwards and look like the tall, rangy players they are e.g. not as effective as the cannonball shape guys. I think we missed the aggression and accuracy of T Youngs and the power of players like Morgan and Haskell. We were second best.

Defence - Line-speed was great, but we missed far too many first-up tackles. Partly it was players like Picamoles having a blinder.

Back-line - Pretty impotent, but they didn't get great, quick ball. I think a player like Fofana shows us what we miss in terms of creativity there.

Offloading - Non-existent but France attacked the carrier in numbers so it was tough.

Carrying - We really need Morgan or B Vunipola in as we looked as we were - lightweight. The athleticism of our pack is very good, but this game showed us the value of having players who can really get over the gain-line.

All in all. Not great, we got the rub of the green and sneaked it. I thought Picamoles was a clear man of the match.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:03 am

It is good that we have showed up some weaknesses to be honest. Something to work on. Would have prefered to play wales next to really cement and work on the problems!

No disrespect to italy - but they had there game first up , and have never played decent at twickers.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:04 am

Also, i like Ashton, and I'm not sure he can be faulted for us having a gameplan which in no way involves the wings, depressingly. But given his defence looks pretty average at the moment, I see no reason why Wade shouldn't be given a shot. The worry for that is that he would at some point have to play against North and Cuthbert....I don't fancy seeing that.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:05 am

Hood I think the first 20 minutes stayed with you abit to long tbh..

the reason france made the changes from my opinion is because england started applying pressure and getting the upper hand from 20 mins to 50 mins..

then there was only one team in the game.. as the subs didnt work out- wereas ours really did!!

even if there orignal players had stayed on there wouldnt have been as fit as our subs..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:06 am

yappysnap wrote:Dissapointed with how Hartley and Lawes turned out in this game, yes it was tougher up front than Ireland but both seemed to be cruising rather than going all out like Youngs and Wood/Hask do from the start.

Not sure if they should start the next game or not.

Also I'd like to see Ashton dropped but then the only alternative to him in the EPS is Strettle who hardly inspires confidence.

So do people still want the 36/Manu partnership to be given a start or has this game made the Barritt/Manu pair come back in to favour? And should Brown still be on the wing or moved to 15? We definitely looked far less threatening out wide than France did.

I think Twelvetrees defence is pretty good, not as destructive but solid. I would like to see him get decent game-time against both Italy and Wales.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:08 am

mystiroakey wrote:Hood I think the first 20 minutes stayed with you abit to long tbh..

the reason france made the changes from my opinion is because england started applying pressure and getting the upper hand from 20 mins to 50 mins..

then there was only one team in the game.. as the subs didnt work out- wereas ours really did!!

even if there orignal players had stayed on there wouldnt have been as fit as our subs..

Yeah, that's a fair point probably. I'd probably need to watch it all again. I didn't feel like we were getting the upper hand when they made the subs, maybe we were gaining parity though.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:11 am

Brown for full back for me.

I think he is immense.

he has so much power and guile.

If not i am happy to keep him in the side,he just needs to work out his positioning on the wing.(when you havent played there that often- it must be tough to work out your surrondings and how to play defensively- but he has the attributes..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

yeh maybe it was only parity.

However we were on the assedance. and the french coach may have the idea that the french players can only play so well for 50 mins.. France never seem to be able to put a full 80 mins in. He clearly loves his game plan(the one he picked for the first two games) and wanted to give it another go when they might have the fitness edge late on..

Anyway france are not a complete side. They dont have the same options as teams like NZ SA or even ENG at the moment. They have alot of work to do clearly before the all black tour

We have proven different options. When we have made changes recently we still look very good. There is a passion playing for england at the moment. The lads are fighting for there lives to remain part of the squad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:32 am

mystiroakey wrote:yeh maybe it was only parity.

However we were on the assedance. and the french coach may have the idea that the french players can only play so well for 50 mins.. France never seem to be able to put a full 80 mins in. He clearly loves his game plan(the one he picked for the first two games) and wanted to give it another go when they might have the fitness edge late on..

Anyway france are not a complete side. They dont have the same options as teams like NZ SA or even ENG at the moment. They have alot of work to do clearly before the all black tour

We have proven different options. When we have made changes recently we still look very good. There is a passion playing for england at the moment. The lads are fighting for there lives to remain part of the squad

Yep, I think this is the aspect which pleases me most. There seems to be real competition too for some places and this must be very useful for SL as a motivating factor.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 24 Feb 2013, 10:46 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:A second poachers try for Strettle tonight.

In ashtons defence one of those tackles was a bit of a no hope dive, and he'd done damn well after missing the first up tackle on Foffana to get on his feet and chase him down to even try it.

Thing is theres little or no point in england picking wingers at all when they are playing this style. They were very much set up to stop France first then worry about scoring later, same as vs Ireland. Negative but efficient.

With Brown and Goode being putting together try scoring records to rival Mark Jones England need a try scoring winger in there somewhere just on the off chance the team does create something.

Twelvetrees and Wade would make England a lot more fun, not convinced theyd win more mind.

Ashton's no hope dive (after a first brush off) was a big mistake. Ashton is the fastest player in the England team and without ball is capable of catching Fofana with ball. A last ditch dive is what backrowers do to stop wingers, not what wingers do to centres 30 yards from the line.

(Remember Worsleys last ditch try saving tackle in the RWC - I think v Australia. Apparently someone recognised him coming out of a public toilet, and said "nice tackle").

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun 24 Feb 2013, 11:09 am

Couldn't find a player rating here, so without referring to the Telegraph, and from memory, and trying not to give 6-8 all round, my thoughts. Please edit:

1. Cole: Got beat at the scrum for once but good in the loose. His getting back on feet to hunt the turnover is great. 6
2. Hartley: Didn't help in the scrum or line out. Anonymous in the loose: 4
3. Marler: Anonymous. 4
4. Parling: Put in some good tackles and had a presence. But he's also meant to be running the linout. 5
5. Launchbury: Got around a lot and was a nuisance. 7
6. Lawes: Not a 6. Missed tackles, few carries. 3
7. Robshaw: Captain's performance, lots of carries, got everywhere. 8
8. Wood: Looked superb in the last quarter (perhaps taking heart from Tom Youngs), struggled when going back. 7
9. Youngs: A charge down, no breaks, otherwise fairly reliable but not a threat. 5
10. Farrell: Got flustered in open play, missed some kicks, but some good passes. Should probably have made/got a try when attempting kick to the corner. 5
11: Brown: Quiet first half, started to break tackles in the second half. Well placed (again) if tuilagi couldn't get to the line. 6
12: Barritt: Part of superb England line defence. Tackled everything. 8
13: Tuilagi: Looked menacing and completely outclassed his big opposite number. Superb pickup off ankles for his try. 8
14: Ashton: Chased well and some OK runs in centre, but tackling is not optional. 4
15: Goode: Safe and reliable but not threatening. 5

Subs:
Youngs: Phenomenal carrying and tackling. Probably higher work rate of anyone else (all be it for 30 minutes): 8
Vanipolu: Looked great carrying but needs to engage brain more - nearly got a second yellow card in a few matches. Needs more fitness if he wants to start: 6
Haskell: Stopped a tiring French backrow - looked good going forward: 7
Care: Looked dangerous and responsible for some quick phases in the last quarter: 7.
Flood: Again, looked dangerous and was threatening an interception: 7

Edit: Now looking at the DT, seems fairly similar - perhaps more generous on the under and average performers. Main point of difference is Parling, who leads the worst performing line out in the championship. Steve James says: "The line-out expert and showed notable energy throughout, showing up his opponents in this respect. 7". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/9890318/Six-Nations-2013-England-v-France-player-ratings.html

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Feb 2013, 11:24 am

Marler 5 - Really struggled with Mas, otherwise fairly anonymous
Hartley 4 - Struggled in scrums and lineouts
Cole 6 - Really struggled at first with the diminutive Domigo. Had gained parity by the time Domin go left and dominated his replacement. Excellent work in the loose (only one tackle less than Robshaw).
Parling 6 - solid game
Launchbury 7 - Excellent defence. Why is he not used in the lineout?
Lawes 2 - Poor
Robshaw 8 - good game
Wood 8 - Not a No8 but had an excellent match.
Youngs 7 - Controlled things well, will have been disappointed to be handed of by fofana
Farrell 5 - Not his best match, but will learn from this.
Brown 7 - another solid, understated performance.
Barritt 8 - defensive rock upon which the win was built
Tuilagi 7 - so much better than Baseraud. About Englands only threat, just needs to be involved more.
Ashton 2 -
Goode 6 - Decent showing

Replacements:
Youngs and Care 7
Vunipola, Flood and Haskell 6

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Sun 24 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

That was a serious test match and showed exactly where England's weaknesses were. ie:-

1. Ashton is just not up to it when it comes to the toughest sides. He will probably look good against Italy but that will paper over the very wide cracks in his game.

2. Lawes is not a backrow forward at the highest level. Keep him for the engine room.

So what do we do about it?

1. We know Ashton is a good finisher with ball in hand so just replacing him with another good finisher with similar defensive weaknesses is not the answer. We need a winger with a good all round game. Monye is playing exceptionally well for his club right now.

2. SL is slipping in to the old A.Robinson days of playing people out-of-position. We must have back row players that ARE back row players for their clubs.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next