The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BARKER V SPADA

+7
Imperial Ghosty
TechInept
azania
The Galveston Giant
88Chris05
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Young_Towzer
11 posters

Go down

BARKER V SPADA Empty BARKER V SPADA

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 30 Apr 2011, 5:28 pm

Darren Barker returns tonight with a European title fight against rugged Italian Domenico Spada @ the Olympia in London, the Barnet fighter has been out for a year with injuries and will have to be on his toes against a fighter who has twice gone the full 12 with Zbik. Who wins?. When Barker wins hopefully Chavez the hype beats Zbik and that fight can be made, Daz will absolutely box his ears off

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

BARKER V SPADA Empty Re: BARKER V SPADA

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sat 30 Apr 2011, 5:52 pm

This is a great for fight darren right now Spada is tough and will push him hard and probably take him the distance. He's well rated amongst a few organisations as well would be great to see Darren fight for a world title or fight Macklin. Much more talented than Macklin and would box his ears off as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 6:05 pm

Would be disappointed if Barker lost this one; Spada is tough, durable and does most things fairly well, but nothing brilliantly. But I do have one concern - Barker's inactivity. It might not be a problem, but a fighter doesn't always return with that same timing in their first fight after a long break, and I'm particularly worried about Spada's low, crouching style of defence, which isn't pretty but has wreaked havoc on opponent's timing on the occasions I've seen him box. He can make things very awkward and is deceptively difficult to hit, so Barker will need to be sharp from the off. He's capable of being so, just as long as the inactivity doesn't cause problems.

I think Barker takes this on points, and then it should be ahead to the match up with Macklin.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 30 Apr 2011, 6:56 pm

Yeah hopefully Barkers inactivity doesn't play a part in this one, i fancy him to take a UD but as has been mentioned Spada has pushed Sebastion Zbik close the past couple of years, and Barker will have lose the ring rust quick and get down to business.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 30 Apr 2011, 7:00 pm

This is a great for fight darren right now Spada is tough and will push him hard and probably take him the distance. He's well rated amongst a few organisations as well would be great to see Darren fight for a world title or fight Macklin. Much more talented than Macklin and would box his ears off as well.
Im a Macklin fan to be honest, that would be a big 50/50 fight, im also a Barker fan so would love to see that fight, depends if Matt stops Sturm though

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:24 pm

Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:37 pm

azania wrote:Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

And yet you're always harping on about boxing today being much better in every single way than it was in the fifties, when Barker wouldn't have been anywhere near a world title. Can't please some people!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:50 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
azania wrote:Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

And yet you're always harping on about boxing today being much better in every single way than it was in the fifties, when Barker wouldn't have been anywhere near a world title. Can't please some people!

Too many belts is more to the point.

Moreover I haven't said it was better in every single way.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:38 pm

Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

///////////////////
Bit harsh that, especially when he hasnt even had the chance to prove himself at world level, bang out of order i'd say anyway.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TechInept Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:45 pm

It's round nine now, he's doing ok, it's only the second time I've seen him, but after a year lay-off and injury he's come back very well. Barker has been drawn into a bit of a brawl, but largely completely dominating with his superior boxing skills. Spada looking pretty average, lack of imagination eith his attack tbh. Wide ud if things continue.

TechInept

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 30 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm

Steven_89 wrote:Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

///////////////////
Bit harsh that, especially when he hasnt even had the chance to prove himself at world level, bang out of order i'd say anyway.

Well let him prove himself before going for a world belt. Its too easy nowadays to fight for a belt. I remember when GB only recognised the WBC belt. Now you have IBF, WBA, IBO, WBF, WWE, WBO, IBA, IBC, IMF, CIA, USSR and god knows what else. All claiming to be world champ. Wasn't Hatton the IBO champ and Barerra also?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 01 May 2011, 12:19 am

Neither claimed to be a world champion because of it though

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Sun 01 May 2011, 6:19 am

azania wrote:
Steven_89 wrote:Barker will fight for a world belt and lose. It is simply shocking that someone with his talents can actually fight for and be recognised as a world champ (assuming he wins). Nothing personal about him. From his interviews he seems a great guy. But world champ? Spare me.

///////////////////

Well let him prove himself before going for a world belt. Its too easy nowadays to fight for a belt. I remember when GB only recognised the WBC belt. Now you have IBF, WBA, IBO, WBF, WWE, WBO, IBA, IBC, IMF, CIA, USSR and god knows what else. All claiming to be world champ. Wasn't Hatton the IBO champ and Barerra also?

Hatton was but lost it to Manny. Also held the WBU belt when younger.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 01 May 2011, 8:27 am

The Mighty Atom wrote:Neither claimed to be a world champion because of it though

What were they defending and who were they paying sanctioning fees to? Of course they were claiming to be world champs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 01 May 2011, 8:28 am

AdZacO wrote:
azania wrote:

///////////////////

Hatton was but lost it to Manny. Also held the WBU belt when younger.

Exactly. Lewis was also the IBO champ. Quite frankly its ridiculous imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 10:45 am

To many belts is a problem but Barker will only have his eyes on 3. Sturm, Zbik and Sylevester. Zbik and Sylevester imo will lose their titles to Chavez jnr and Geale. Sturm should beat Macklin hopefully setting up a big fight between him and Martinez. Could see Barker beating Chavez and Geale was impressed with how he dealt with Spada considering the lay off he had.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sun 01 May 2011, 12:02 pm

azania wrote:

///////////////////

Hasn't he proved himself by winning the European strap? Isn't the world stage the next step?

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 01 May 2011, 12:22 pm

Small Time wrote:
azania wrote:

///////////////////

Hasn't he proved himself by winning the European strap? Isn't the world stage the next step?

It is. What does that say about the level of boxing at MW?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 01 May 2011, 2:38 pm

To many belts is a problem but Barker will only have his eyes on 3. Sturm, Zbik and Sylevester. Zbik and Sylevester imo will lose their titles to Chavez jnr and Geale. Sturm should beat Macklin hopefully setting up a big fight between him and Martinez. Could see Barker beating Chavez and Geale was impressed with how he dealt with Spada considering the lay off he had.
I'll put me neck on the line right now and tell you i'd bet my house Barker will box Chavez' head off if it was in England, that is one hype job

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 2:50 pm

He is a hype job problem is Barker won't get to fight him here it would be the States or even worse Mexico like Rhodes with Alvarez although I don't think Alvarez is a hype job.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sun 01 May 2011, 3:06 pm

Alvarez isnt an hype job kev, he is quality, he will stop Rhodes who imo is very, very, very overrated

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 3:22 pm

Agree with that mate he will be looking to put on a great performance in Mexico. Future P4P top 5 imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 04 May 2011, 7:45 am

prettyboykev wrote:Agree with that mate he will be looking to put on a great performance in Mexico. Future P4P top 5 imo.

Doh That will come back to hanut you

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 04 May 2011, 6:42 pm

Baffling that you say this! absolutely baffling i nearly fell off my chair with laughter, i mean your saying technically if he went to USA and beat Martinez he wouldnt be a genuine world champ, absolutely puzzled.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 04 May 2011, 6:51 pm

Baffling that you say this! absolutely baffling i nearly fell off my chair with laughter, i mean your saying technically if he went to USA and beat Martinez he wouldnt be a genuine world champ, absolutely puzzled.

That's not quite what's being said though. The inference is that if Barker were to somehow win a world title, it'd be astonishing given the fact that he's not considered to be a great fighter by the author of that statement. You were jumping the gun.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 04 May 2011, 6:58 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Agree with that mate he will be looking to put on a great performance in Mexico. Future P4P top 5 imo.

BARKER V SPADA 56390 That will come back to hanut you

Maybe Soldier it's happened before with Judah and Cotto.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down