The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

+24
pedro
themightyone
incontinentia
dynamark
navyblueshorts
jimbohammers
Dave.
mystiroakey
1GrumpyGolfer
Humpyd
GPB
shclaff
Skydriver
SmithersJones
Lairdy
princedracula
sirbenson
NedB-H
Shotrock
beninho
super_realist
McLaren
robopz
kwinigolfer
28 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:23 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Ah, the Florida Swing, previously known as the Sam Saunders Swing as Arnie's son-in-law seemed to receive a sponsor's invite to every event for the month. The five tournaments this month are:
Honda Classic
WGC Cadillac Championship / Puerto Rico Open
Tampa Bay Championship (previously known as the Transitions - what will it be known as next year?)
Arnold Palmer Invitational

The home course advantage for the Florida gigs is not as pronounced as for the California Coastal events, but each of last year's winners live in Florida even if they don't come from there.

2).But a few notes about last week's Match Play, either the last year at Dove Mountain or the penultimate year at Dove Mountain depending upon which reliable source you choose to consult. We certainly discovered that it's a terrible venue, unplayable in the snow (which is not as rare as the Chamber of Commerce would have us believe), and the high winds of Sunday which, combined with firm greens and inaccessible pin placements made the day a war of attrition.
No denying Matt Kuchar's performance as the last man standing however - he made a point of saying he was just going to be Steady Eddie and that's exactly what he was, the smiley faced Smile assassin banking a cool $1.5M.

3).I'm kinda taking a liking to Hunter Mahan, certainly wanted him to win the Final. Behind the poor dress sense, hideous facial fluff, gnashers that look more Sandown than Sandwich and those ghastly Golf Boys videos, he actually seems a pleasant guy. Certainly hits the ball like a dream with a beautiful swing and a vastly improved short game. He seems to have a great relationship with his caddie, John Wood, and their very matter-of-fact professionalism whenever I've followed them is an eye-opener.
But like Poulter and Jason Day in the morning, Hunner just seemed to hit the wall in the afternoon at the same time as punditry was anointing him America's best match-player. Which presumably made Davis Love IIIIIII feel especially good. That's "ironic" as Alanis might squeal.

4).What of the Foreign Legion? Pretty B- overall, I'd say, but Shane Lowry made a lot of friends - he's missed out on a sponsor's exemption for this week's "Honda", but much more good play and Tournament Directors will be falling over themselves to offer him a free pass. He won and lost with grace, then came out to follow McDowell in his afternoon match. What a guy! Good luck to him.

5).McIlroy and Woods disappointed networks and sponsors alike by failing to advance in tandem for the second time in 2013 - three 75's on Rory's CV this year, and that won't cut it and I can't imagine he'll find his game overnight in time to win this week. Feel I've said that before however.

6).Interesting stat's emerging from the U.S. National Golf Foundation with data showing a 5.7% increase in rounds played in the United States in 2012 compared to 2011. That is in the context of an overall 11% decline in rounds played over the previous decade.

7).Johnny Miller was all over Webb Simpson's case on Saturday as the newly shorn Simpson took an eternity to play the shots which ultimately defeated Gonzo. Would be good if that elevated the debate about slow play but one imagines the anchoring announcement stole the headlines and slow play proponents "considered the source".
A couple of amusing tweets from Steve Elkington extracted from an article in GolfWorld are apropos however:

"NBC golf would like to bring you uninterrupted bullsh1t for 55 min per hour with limited golf shots."
and:
"Had a kid dressed as Keegan Bradley last night at Halloween . . . . backed up and down stairs 12 times before he got his candy."

Incidentally, Keegs was bemoaning in his press conference today that "I'm being called a cheater more than ever by fans, by some writers . . . . . I'm sick of it to be honest."

8).We've been saying how crucial it is for new "graduates" to the PGA Tour to maximize their earnings in order to retain or improve position within their "status" as the year progresses. The Europeans have had mixed results as the first reshuffle was confirmed following the West Coast tournaments:
Ross Fisher - dropped 13 places from 3 to 16. As a result he was the last player to qualify for the original field at Honda.
Lingmerth - up to #2.
Karlsson - dropped 10 places to #37, failed in qualifying this week.
Henrik Norlander - moved up about ten spots, also failed to qualify this week.
When is a card a card? When it's a PGA Tour card - lots of fine print to be read.

9).Haven't seen any official records but would think that Honda, the longest running sponsorship of a PGA Tour event and in its 32nd year (just signed up for another four years), has been rewarded with the best field in the history of "The Honda Classic". Several factors contribute of course:
~The venue, PGA National, which was a typical Florida grind when I played it in the 80's distinguished only by the memory on one hole of a ball whizzing over our heads as we sauntered to our 200 yard drives. We looked round to see a cart hurtling towards us, a wide body at the wheel. "Just playing through," yelled Craig Stadler as he zoomed to his ball. But Nicklaus has tarted it up and redefined the "Bear Trap", 15, 16 and 17, since then, watery graves at every turn. Apparently in wonderful condition though. Europeans beware the grainy Bermuda greens.
~The migration of golf residences from Orlando to South Florida means that this is now a home game for many. (Next week too, of course.)
~The calendar, which means that, whilst this week may be a good chance for many Americans to take a breather, it's must-play for most overseas guys double-dipping on two Tours. Donald, Garcia, Harrington and Poulter are among the few notable European PGA Tour members not playing. Thrilled to see Casey get an invite for his first appearance in 6 months. Has he still got it? I'm hoping he has!

10).No idea of likely contenders this week - frankly a minefield of who's going to be up for it, who's just here to get in their required events. Wouldn't put it past Mr.Woods to make a statement as he came so close last year.
But one thing's for sure: Sam Saunders is playing the web.commer in Columbia so it won't be him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:25 pm

What happened, I think, was pure US Media hype and speculation. Those expectations certainly didn't make Ty's life easier as he was trying to move up the ladder.

Last edited by Shotrock on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Only boring people spell the same way all the time.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

Rory learning that he gets way more publicity for "walking off" the course than he ever will for finishing second.

Meanwhile, what a triumph it would be for Nike if Tont failed to make a birdie coming in? Nike Broadcasting Company would be incandescent. Won't happen though. Will it?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:05 pm

Justin back involved. Fav know for my money!

he is starting to remind of faldo. ghost

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Strange Days indeed ...

Top Euro runs off because he can't get off the bogey train.

Top American fighting to make the cut (again).

And Boo Weekly going to be saddling up in the next to last group on a weekend?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:11 pm

And Sean O'Hair resplendent in Aronomink club colours?
Is that your Thursday outfit too, Sr? Should be sequestered.

(Perhaps Tiger will birdie in? Rolling Eyes

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

jeas i wish tiger walked in- why do we have to see every shot he plays

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:17 pm

Nice outfit! Would like to see some more birdies from the man however.

No more posts from me today, however ... Just not feeling it. And my tooth hurts some.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:41 pm

If we have to watch the C*** then i'm glad he is struggling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

Neither McIlroy nor Woods would speak to the press.

Don't they appreciate that it's much more interesting to hear what they have to say, perhaps with a scowl on their face, than when they're Very Happy , just shot lights out, and get tossed sycophantic softballs by America's finest?

Possibility of Woods playing with David Lynn tomorrow. That'll be a thrill for Mr.Lynn. Perhaps?
Possibility of McIlroy playing with Caro tomorrow, if she can get to Florida in time after bagging her match in Malaysia. Thrill for whom?

Very good chance for someone making the cut on the number winning this . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm

Gotta go with Rose or Westy. I hope they arnt paired together mind Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:11 am

Puerto Rico field announced and the highlights are:
Cabrera, KJ Choi, Ishikawa (is that a highlight or a lowlight?), Romero, Villegas, Yang

Karlsson, Norlander, Stenson,

Casey, Christian, Davis (if he can be bothered), Knox, Shane Lowry.

Surprised no more Europeans have made the effort.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:09 am

Approximate body count for next week's Cadillac, pending new eligibilities following this week's tournaments:
Europe: 26
USA: 20 - There will certainly be one or two added via the FedEx route, CHIII, Brian Gay etc.
Then there's another owgr Top 50 qualification.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:10 am

Baldy nine chins and spud face remind me of the pretentious very low players you probably have at your club. Jovial and cheerful when they play well full of excuses and miserable when they arent. Both are despicable, but perhaps a trait you need in your 'personality' to sign for Nike, golfs most dreary manufacturer.
I think it will be Olesen that is Nikes brightest light this year not the bottom lip dragging Bubba from Forrest Gump or the crashed bottle of the arrogant and increasingly conceited Pube Head.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

hehe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:42 am

I actually liked diggers (or was it hibbz) knickname for poults..

quality street. hehe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:38 am

super, are you a nazi? can't image why else you'd admire the cardboard cut-out scandinavians, while at the same time mocking the charisma A-bombs otherwise known as Woods and McIlroy..
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:42 am

Jesper Parnevick was pretty awesome tbh.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 12:01 pm

Cooler and a bit windy on the Florida coast today.
A good chance for Team GB (Westwood, Rose, McDowell) to make their mark on the season?
Or will it be guys who have forgotten how to win: Ogilvy, Howell, Weekley, Glover, O'Hair?
Or young guys looking for their first trip to the Winners' Circle?

Not to mention Ross Fisher with a chance for another decent finish.

Kaymer and Schwartzel looked to be hitting the ball beautifully last night, imagine one of those at least will roar into contention.

And then there are Camilo and Rory . . . . . . . Poor Rory's going to have to face a media firing squad at the Cadillac - charm offensive won't work, he needs his clubs/swing to do the talking.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:10 pm

Matteo is supposed to open today's batting but pgatour.com doesn't seem to have woken up.
Was working fine Thursday and Friday morning - wouldn't refresh at all Friday afternoon.
What a way to run a leaderboard - thank goodness Europeantour.com provides a decent service for the E.T.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:12 pm

I'm sure Rory is not heading the way of David Duvall just yet but that was quite a poor showing yesterday. Something we expect from John Daly but not the World No.1

The Nike curse is starting to gain some momentum, but he's just too good a golfer not to come back. But the slump is not all due to the clubs, I think there is some honesty in his mental issues. Maybe it's dawning on him that he really is the worlds best golfer and the pressures this brings. I'm also not sure he's with the best management team? Since leaving Chubby there has been an obvious change in his demeanor. "Cocky" is a word I would use but when you are that good at that age you can be.

Justin Rose for me all the way. Not been outside of the top 25 in his last 10 strokeplay events. Made me chuckle with the earlier post, looking more like Nick Faldo every day Very Happy I really do think a major is on the cards for Justin soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

Would love to see O'Hair battle into Sunday. Do wonders for his confidence.

Heralded young bomber Colesaerts finally made another cut, but surely finding life on the big tour challenging. I assure you he would like to see things working the way they were on the Euorpean Tour.

New sticks don't add 24 strokes to your game. GB Rory or Irish Rory's got some 'splaining to do ... and good advice that it should start with his clubs.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

Hi blistering!
11 months and 3 weeks since Justin Rose's last win. Agree he has Faldo-like potential but there seems to be something stopping him winning as often as we think he should. Is this the week??!!

A bit cruel on Colsaerts, Sr; after all he did reach the 3rd round last week - plenty of big names fell before him. But agree that the grind of Tour play may not always suit him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm

Conditions pretty benign for the early starters, but there could be carnage later on if the forecast wind materialises.

Patrick Reed and Tont with the best rounds going, both -3 early on; David Lynn -2 after 8 holes.
At this rate, Woods would deny Riviera winner Merrick a spot in the Cadillac by leap-frogging him in the FedEx points list.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

So Rose out with O hair,

very relaxed group that. they wont annoy each other and possibly spur each other on!

Same goes with oglivy and westy..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:21 pm

Not being tough on Nicholas Kwin; consistency is what keeps the paychecks coming. Already 4 behind the world #2, and started the day tied with him. Lots of time, however.

O'Hair or Rose would be awesome this week.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

are people really blaming mcilroy poor form on his new clubs?? well I suppose he didn't miss a cut last year with his amazing titleist clubs did he. just seems to be when he is on he is great when not he doesn't seem to care about grinding out a result. like capital one paid the money and got Swansea vs Bradford. sure Honda must be pleased with some of the names at the top of the halfway leaderboard...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

O'Hair's dressing style was just about as inspired as McIlroy's judgement yesterday... Yikes

Spoiler:

Leaving aside Rory's 'mental' issues for a moment, the media itself went 'mental' yesterday after all that carry on... Doug Ferguson was telling us a little while ago here on radio that one of the journalists or photographers happened to take a picture of McIlroy eating a sandwich sometime before his withdrawal, and later in the day a few of them took the picture and enlarged it and study it in detail to try and figure out on which side of the mouth he was chewing...!! Rolling Eyes

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:29 pm

well we all know he didnt have a tooth pain.

the first reason he said was his mind wasnt up to it.

If you have severe tooth pain not only would you say it but you wouldnt be able to talk to well either!- it would be very noticable

not sure why anyone needs more proof.

he had no major tooth pain..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:40 pm

Number Two looks like he's got a problem with his wisdom tooth . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Mysti - You are absolutely right.

Pathetic IMO, to walk off with 9 holes to go.

Quitter.

But he's that good so he'll be back and all will be forgiven once he starts winning his majors again.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

Fine effort from David Lynn - must have been a little nervous playing with Tiger and outplayed him.
That 68 could look a super round if the wind really picks up. Good for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:31 pm

incontinentia wrote:super, are you a nazi? can't image why else you'd admire the cardboard cut-out scandinavians, while at the same time mocking the charisma A-bombs otherwise known as Woods and McIlroy..

Oakey. I work for a Scandinavian company, speak a Scandinavian language, have to go there for work a lot will probably end up moving there too.

Apart from that though Olesen looks to be the business.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

thats incont dude!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 02 Mar 2013, 5:35 pm

Sorry mate. I woikd have thought he would have more more nazi sympathy than me tbough given the leprechaun stance during the war

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

blisteringblue wrote: Something we expect from John Daly but not the World No.1
Thought exactly the same... Sissy.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:23 pm

Still only David Lynn and Brandt Jobe in with under-par rounds, Stanley just about to join them. Woods up 20 places with his even par round.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

Matteo was unchanged on the LB (compared to his position yesterday) when he finished his 1-over par round today. Now he's 20 places higher...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

It really is windy out there.

i reakon Rors would be struggling to break 100 out there today Whistle .

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:23 pm

youre damn right roakey, Rory never was much good into the teeth of a gale, heh heh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:32 pm

Hehe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Just seen LW's rather odd drop on hole 5. Unless PGA Tour already has its own rules I don't believe ball can be dropped on putting green in those circumstances. I know he had an official there so has probably got away with it, but must be a lucky boy. Better make the most of it!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:47 pm

why cant it be?.. If the ball travelled with a draw over the green I would drop it there as well.

There is no question on that ruling - the question may be if it did travel over the green or not

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:52 pm

No, it can't be dropped nearer the hole. He can drop within two club lengths of where it crossed the margin of the hazard and with the shape of this hole it just so happened to be on the green.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

Amazing tee-shot from Guthrie in those conditions at the 5th followed by a dreadful miss with the putter. Anyways, I really like this guy...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

Myst - I may be wrong, often am, but I thought when taking relief a ball cannot be dropped in a hazard or on a putting green?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 7:59 pm

see grumps comment.

he is spot on..

2 clubs from the point it crossed the hazard- but not nearer the hole..

You can drop the ball anywhere you want 'in play'- so the green is fine

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

By the way did i just see LW play a beautiful chip or an i seeing things?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

I think the rules are different for abnormal ground conditions, where you cannot drop the ball on a putting green, and hazards where you may be able to? Not near a rule book, but I know you can't in the former case (agc) and am assuming you can in the latter (hazard). Don't understand why in one case and not the other? For example if there is a patch of GUR on a putting green, I don't believe you can drop on the green? But from a hazard, admittedly under penalty, you can drop on a green? Need to have a read!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

I have allways done it myself on island greens

I admit to not knowing that GUR ruling but I would assume you could drop on the green as long as your not nearer the hole.

I personally allways play from GUR unless the lie is awfull

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:17 pm

Welcome return to some sort of form this week for Ogilvy and Glover.

Meanwhile Patrick Cantlay is in search for his first carreer win far, far away, in Bogota... And talking of return to form, solid effort from Cejka, a top 10 there should give him some confidence...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next