The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

+24
pedro
themightyone
incontinentia
dynamark
navyblueshorts
jimbohammers
Dave.
mystiroakey
1GrumpyGolfer
Humpyd
GPB
shclaff
Skydriver
SmithersJones
Lairdy
princedracula
sirbenson
NedB-H
Shotrock
beninho
super_realist
McLaren
robopz
kwinigolfer
28 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:23 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Ah, the Florida Swing, previously known as the Sam Saunders Swing as Arnie's son-in-law seemed to receive a sponsor's invite to every event for the month. The five tournaments this month are:
Honda Classic
WGC Cadillac Championship / Puerto Rico Open
Tampa Bay Championship (previously known as the Transitions - what will it be known as next year?)
Arnold Palmer Invitational

The home course advantage for the Florida gigs is not as pronounced as for the California Coastal events, but each of last year's winners live in Florida even if they don't come from there.

2).But a few notes about last week's Match Play, either the last year at Dove Mountain or the penultimate year at Dove Mountain depending upon which reliable source you choose to consult. We certainly discovered that it's a terrible venue, unplayable in the snow (which is not as rare as the Chamber of Commerce would have us believe), and the high winds of Sunday which, combined with firm greens and inaccessible pin placements made the day a war of attrition.
No denying Matt Kuchar's performance as the last man standing however - he made a point of saying he was just going to be Steady Eddie and that's exactly what he was, the smiley faced Smile assassin banking a cool $1.5M.

3).I'm kinda taking a liking to Hunter Mahan, certainly wanted him to win the Final. Behind the poor dress sense, hideous facial fluff, gnashers that look more Sandown than Sandwich and those ghastly Golf Boys videos, he actually seems a pleasant guy. Certainly hits the ball like a dream with a beautiful swing and a vastly improved short game. He seems to have a great relationship with his caddie, John Wood, and their very matter-of-fact professionalism whenever I've followed them is an eye-opener.
But like Poulter and Jason Day in the morning, Hunner just seemed to hit the wall in the afternoon at the same time as punditry was anointing him America's best match-player. Which presumably made Davis Love IIIIIII feel especially good. That's "ironic" as Alanis might squeal.

4).What of the Foreign Legion? Pretty B- overall, I'd say, but Shane Lowry made a lot of friends - he's missed out on a sponsor's exemption for this week's "Honda", but much more good play and Tournament Directors will be falling over themselves to offer him a free pass. He won and lost with grace, then came out to follow McDowell in his afternoon match. What a guy! Good luck to him.

5).McIlroy and Woods disappointed networks and sponsors alike by failing to advance in tandem for the second time in 2013 - three 75's on Rory's CV this year, and that won't cut it and I can't imagine he'll find his game overnight in time to win this week. Feel I've said that before however.

6).Interesting stat's emerging from the U.S. National Golf Foundation with data showing a 5.7% increase in rounds played in the United States in 2012 compared to 2011. That is in the context of an overall 11% decline in rounds played over the previous decade.

7).Johnny Miller was all over Webb Simpson's case on Saturday as the newly shorn Simpson took an eternity to play the shots which ultimately defeated Gonzo. Would be good if that elevated the debate about slow play but one imagines the anchoring announcement stole the headlines and slow play proponents "considered the source".
A couple of amusing tweets from Steve Elkington extracted from an article in GolfWorld are apropos however:

"NBC golf would like to bring you uninterrupted bullsh1t for 55 min per hour with limited golf shots."
and:
"Had a kid dressed as Keegan Bradley last night at Halloween . . . . backed up and down stairs 12 times before he got his candy."

Incidentally, Keegs was bemoaning in his press conference today that "I'm being called a cheater more than ever by fans, by some writers . . . . . I'm sick of it to be honest."

8).We've been saying how crucial it is for new "graduates" to the PGA Tour to maximize their earnings in order to retain or improve position within their "status" as the year progresses. The Europeans have had mixed results as the first reshuffle was confirmed following the West Coast tournaments:
Ross Fisher - dropped 13 places from 3 to 16. As a result he was the last player to qualify for the original field at Honda.
Lingmerth - up to #2.
Karlsson - dropped 10 places to #37, failed in qualifying this week.
Henrik Norlander - moved up about ten spots, also failed to qualify this week.
When is a card a card? When it's a PGA Tour card - lots of fine print to be read.

9).Haven't seen any official records but would think that Honda, the longest running sponsorship of a PGA Tour event and in its 32nd year (just signed up for another four years), has been rewarded with the best field in the history of "The Honda Classic". Several factors contribute of course:
~The venue, PGA National, which was a typical Florida grind when I played it in the 80's distinguished only by the memory on one hole of a ball whizzing over our heads as we sauntered to our 200 yard drives. We looked round to see a cart hurtling towards us, a wide body at the wheel. "Just playing through," yelled Craig Stadler as he zoomed to his ball. But Nicklaus has tarted it up and redefined the "Bear Trap", 15, 16 and 17, since then, watery graves at every turn. Apparently in wonderful condition though. Europeans beware the grainy Bermuda greens.
~The migration of golf residences from Orlando to South Florida means that this is now a home game for many. (Next week too, of course.)
~The calendar, which means that, whilst this week may be a good chance for many Americans to take a breather, it's must-play for most overseas guys double-dipping on two Tours. Donald, Garcia, Harrington and Poulter are among the few notable European PGA Tour members not playing. Thrilled to see Casey get an invite for his first appearance in 6 months. Has he still got it? I'm hoping he has!

10).No idea of likely contenders this week - frankly a minefield of who's going to be up for it, who's just here to get in their required events. Wouldn't put it past Mr.Woods to make a statement as he came so close last year.
But one thing's for sure: Sam Saunders is playing the web.commer in Columbia so it won't be him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by puligny Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

We had a piece of GUR which was an extension to a green incorporating some pre-existing green. Compulsory GUR ie not allowed to play from it or even walk on it to retrieve balls! Rule posted also made clear that drop had to be off the green! I recall long arguments about it, and while not a part of the rules Taliban, we were convinced it was correct. Have assumed same would be the case from hazards, but you now have me thinking that may not be the case. Difference is possibly penalty, versus no penalty.
May drop that one into conversation in the bar, and retreat!

puligny

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:26 pm

well compulsory GUR is a local rule.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

I see normal service has been resumed from Westwood, shots dropping like flies on a Saturday.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

If Westwood could somehow par thru 17 and birdie the last, he'll be right in the shake-up - even better if he holes this tiddler. Come on Lee!!!!

Edit: Oh Lee!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:41 pm

westy can chip Smile

major coming

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

I actually think Lee has played pretty well today in those circumstances.

Matteo now 26 shots better than earlier in the day...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

lee looks on it!

great swing from the tee off 18

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:28 pm

Shame about the 2nd oakey! Should have been a 4, now he'll have to work to make par.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:30 pm

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, again!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

I reckon the glass is half full for Lee today, 3rd place, so what can he conjure up tomorrow? Looks like a good pairing w/Geoff Ogilvy again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

I think lee is gonna be in a very good place.

I have never seen him chip so well!

his long game clearly wasnt up to his high standards, but his swing looks ok..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

Don't get me wrong, no-one would like to see him win more than me. I'm just so used to him c0cking it up!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:52 pm

Lee wins this thing and he sure won't be second guessing his family move to these United States. He looks very comfortable out there. Some lesser known names on top, but those boys can play and I doubt will hand anything to Westwood.

Did Rory finally get his tooth extracted?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

mystiroakey wrote:westy can chip Smile

major coming

One good round of chipping doesn't mean the solution has been found......and putting is as much of the problem as his chipping, he misses far too many short putts tbh.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

nah thats a myth mate. his putting has never been as bad as many many major winners!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

Of course his putting and chipping has been poor.
And even when it isn't poor he's going to live with the reputation of a poor short game until he starts winning consistently - big tournaments.
Tomorrow would be a great start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:nah thats a myth mate. his putting has never been as bad as many many major winners!

Like who!?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:04 am

Off the top of my head without looking into it i would say that kaymer, hamilton ,gmac are no better.

Lee westwoods putting isnt bad- its average(many average putters have won!)- winning major golf events isnt about 1 aspect of your game- but how low you score. Westy has the ability to go low!!..

The last masters is a good one to look into- i think he had `19 more putts than Pmickleson or something- everyone just looks at that at face value !!

Well pmick had to have such low putts he didnt hit many greens. LW hit the most of the week.

But the telling tales for me was on the par 5 13th and 15th on saturday I think it was!- he got around the green in 2 both times.. he took a total of 7 shots.. this was due to his chipping- it wasnt just that he executed them poorly- he played the wrong shots full stop..

But the fact is you can allways win this argument- because its not about how you putt on average its about having the bottle to hole them when it counts!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:16 am

BTW just a quick note.

lee westwood was 4th on the euro tour in GIR putting average last year, and twentith in average putts- not exactly bad !

And that wasnt even just a one off in -2010 4th in gir putts and 10th in average putts..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:14 am

Trouble is, he's been playing mostly in America for the past couple of years and this is what he's done:
Strokes gained putting: 139th in 2011, 174th in 2012
Scrambling: 96th in 2011, 189th in 2012

I think he's an average putter who just neds to acclimate to the different grasses on the PGA Tour. He's a good sand player, he just needs to be more confident around the greens.
Starting Sunday!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:23 pm

Chance of showers this morning and in the 40's right now. Cool (60's, just) and windy later on.

Would a final round 62 from Woods be enough to win? No!

Can Westwood chip and putt his way to glory? Maybe!

Will Ross Fisher shoot the 59 he needs to secure a top ten? Not likely!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Off the top of my head without looking into it i would say that kaymer, hamilton ,gmac are no better.
erroneous, ERRONEOUS!! Kaymer and Gmac are far superior puttsmen to Westwood, I can't think of a single clutch putt Lee has made, but Martin and Graeme have holed some classics!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

lee has made just as many if not more in ryder cups!

lee has also won many more events than both put together and competed in more majors than both together. but unluckily for him he has been up aganist players like p mickleson Sad

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

I would back Kaymer and GMac to win another major rather then Westwood winning one.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

What a great word - puttsmen
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:lee has made just as many if not more in ryder cups!

lee has also won many more events than both put together and competed in more majors than both together. but unluckily for him he has been up aganist players like p mickleson Sad

Unlucky, I don't think so tbh, there is always going to be good players in whatever era and if you can't put in majors when it matters you will not win one.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:12 pm

sirbenson wrote:I would back Kaymer and GMac to win another major rather then Westwood winning one.

well i think that statment is based on the fact they have won one.

lw is and has been by far the better golfer overall..

if he doesnt win one- he will go down in history as one of the best not to have won one..

if kaymer or gmac hadnt won one- we wouldnt even talk about them

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

Sirbenson ..there are many many single majors winners that have had the luck of timing on there side and are inferior overall to many golfers without them.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

You could say he is better then GMac considering the amount of tournaments he has won but not Kaymer.....Also Westwood won a lot of average European tour events, the fact he has only won two PGA Tour events says it all.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Sirbenson ..there are many many single majors winners that have had the luck of timing on there side and are inferior overall to many golfers without them.

I don't think you can call that luck tbh but to suggest he is a far better golfer than GMac and Kaymer is wrong imo!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:19 pm

Btw i would never put kaymer or gmac in the list of bad major winners they are certainly not - however there putting isnt much better than average on tour- that was my point originally.

Both are very worthy players.

LW has only just gone stateside btw and you can adjust that 2 to 3 later on tonight thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

btw kaymer and gmac both have 10/8 wins(on major tours)(edited!!!). i would put them equal pegging tbh. however kaymer did get to no.1 in the world for a week, westy took that title straight of him of course and made it stick for half a year

Last edited by mystiroakey on Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:22 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Btw i would never put kaymer or gmac in the list of bad major winners they are certainly not - however there putting isnt much better than average on tour- that was my point originally.

Both are very worthy players.

LW has only just gone stateside btw and you can adjust that 2 to 3 later on tonight thumbsup

GMac is a much better putter.....I would agree with Kaymer yes.

Maybe he should have been a full time member of the PGA Tour years ago and he may have missed the boat.....He is a great golfer and I hope he wins a major.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:27 pm

I just have this horrid feeling that my main 4 english hopes alongside sergio garcia and adam scott are gonna be fighting out a major on there own in a year or so!! and only one will get it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:49 pm

Anyone at the Honda early this morning would have an early-round treat as Kaymer and Els are off in a moment playing together.
Notionally follow them for 18 holes, time for a butty and a brewski and traipse around with Ogilvy and Lee in the afternoon.
Perfect day of golf following!

No-one making any sort of move among the back-markers - perhaps Fish can redeem himself after yesterday's shambles?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

Philadelphia flower show today with the family - highly recommended to anyone ... but back in time for end of day action. I have a hunch about Fowler or if Yang picks up where he left off yesterday, he could be the man. If the final group decides it's a match play event, look for them to be overtaken.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Wouldn't Rose be more appropriate??

No flowers here, except in the florists; YE Yang already has a win and a runner-up at PGA National, precious little elsewhere except Hazeltine.
And: Don't overlook Peter Hanson - could be this year's version of Jason Dufner, competitive wherever he tees it up.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:18 pm

Scoring tough this a.m., 40 strokes over par offset by just four guys who are each one under par.
59 watch? 69 watch more like.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:20 pm

thats what i like last round kwini. We could be in for a ding dong later

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

Thirteen players back in the bar, and only Billy Horschel's 70 any better than 73.

Of those still working, only Matt Jones (-2 after 12 holes) better than some one unders.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

cioerage starts in 20...

perfect timing after the london derby!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 03 Mar 2013, 5:48 pm

Unfortunately, Horschel's 81 yesterday remains the worst round of the week, so far. Not sure what happened to him there, he could've been leader in the bar long into the afternoon today without that...

Double whiskey for Eldrick Tont...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:02 pm

E.T.: And another wee dram at the seventh. Bloody typical as I just switched him into my yahoo team last night. Should have known he wasn't all he's cracked up to be by Shotrock. No 62 today.

If Billy Horschel was a footballer he'd be a walking red card - some wonderful golf obliterated by the inevitable red mist.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

I know Branden and Dave Matthews were only born a couple of dozen miles away from each other. But of one thing they both agree:
Grace Is Gone

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

Another double from E.T., but that 68 from Matt Jones looks like being the round of the day. Still only two other rounds, Vaughn Taylor and Rory's buddie Billy Horschel to match par.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

Birdie! Who said lw1 can't putt? Oh, me!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

2nd in scrambling Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:47 pm

Tiger could run out of balls at this rate.

I've got some lovely old black and white photos of Sunderland Flying Boats taking off from their safe harbour in Ceylon. Tiger's making more splashes than these things make.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Birdie! Who said lw1 can't putt? Oh, me!

Still can't unfortunately.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 03 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

You're right Grumps, Got to make everything ten foot and in if he's going to win this.

Some shockingly bad rounds out there; five South Africans 28 over par already for instance. Team GB doing well by comparison - six men 12 over between them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next