The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

+24
pedro
themightyone
incontinentia
dynamark
navyblueshorts
jimbohammers
Dave.
mystiroakey
1GrumpyGolfer
Humpyd
GPB
shclaff
Skydriver
SmithersJones
Lairdy
princedracula
sirbenson
NedB-H
Shotrock
beninho
super_realist
McLaren
robopz
kwinigolfer
28 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:23 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Ah, the Florida Swing, previously known as the Sam Saunders Swing as Arnie's son-in-law seemed to receive a sponsor's invite to every event for the month. The five tournaments this month are:
Honda Classic
WGC Cadillac Championship / Puerto Rico Open
Tampa Bay Championship (previously known as the Transitions - what will it be known as next year?)
Arnold Palmer Invitational

The home course advantage for the Florida gigs is not as pronounced as for the California Coastal events, but each of last year's winners live in Florida even if they don't come from there.

2).But a few notes about last week's Match Play, either the last year at Dove Mountain or the penultimate year at Dove Mountain depending upon which reliable source you choose to consult. We certainly discovered that it's a terrible venue, unplayable in the snow (which is not as rare as the Chamber of Commerce would have us believe), and the high winds of Sunday which, combined with firm greens and inaccessible pin placements made the day a war of attrition.
No denying Matt Kuchar's performance as the last man standing however - he made a point of saying he was just going to be Steady Eddie and that's exactly what he was, the smiley faced Smile assassin banking a cool $1.5M.

3).I'm kinda taking a liking to Hunter Mahan, certainly wanted him to win the Final. Behind the poor dress sense, hideous facial fluff, gnashers that look more Sandown than Sandwich and those ghastly Golf Boys videos, he actually seems a pleasant guy. Certainly hits the ball like a dream with a beautiful swing and a vastly improved short game. He seems to have a great relationship with his caddie, John Wood, and their very matter-of-fact professionalism whenever I've followed them is an eye-opener.
But like Poulter and Jason Day in the morning, Hunner just seemed to hit the wall in the afternoon at the same time as punditry was anointing him America's best match-player. Which presumably made Davis Love IIIIIII feel especially good. That's "ironic" as Alanis might squeal.

4).What of the Foreign Legion? Pretty B- overall, I'd say, but Shane Lowry made a lot of friends - he's missed out on a sponsor's exemption for this week's "Honda", but much more good play and Tournament Directors will be falling over themselves to offer him a free pass. He won and lost with grace, then came out to follow McDowell in his afternoon match. What a guy! Good luck to him.

5).McIlroy and Woods disappointed networks and sponsors alike by failing to advance in tandem for the second time in 2013 - three 75's on Rory's CV this year, and that won't cut it and I can't imagine he'll find his game overnight in time to win this week. Feel I've said that before however.

6).Interesting stat's emerging from the U.S. National Golf Foundation with data showing a 5.7% increase in rounds played in the United States in 2012 compared to 2011. That is in the context of an overall 11% decline in rounds played over the previous decade.

7).Johnny Miller was all over Webb Simpson's case on Saturday as the newly shorn Simpson took an eternity to play the shots which ultimately defeated Gonzo. Would be good if that elevated the debate about slow play but one imagines the anchoring announcement stole the headlines and slow play proponents "considered the source".
A couple of amusing tweets from Steve Elkington extracted from an article in GolfWorld are apropos however:

"NBC golf would like to bring you uninterrupted bullsh1t for 55 min per hour with limited golf shots."
and:
"Had a kid dressed as Keegan Bradley last night at Halloween . . . . backed up and down stairs 12 times before he got his candy."

Incidentally, Keegs was bemoaning in his press conference today that "I'm being called a cheater more than ever by fans, by some writers . . . . . I'm sick of it to be honest."

8).We've been saying how crucial it is for new "graduates" to the PGA Tour to maximize their earnings in order to retain or improve position within their "status" as the year progresses. The Europeans have had mixed results as the first reshuffle was confirmed following the West Coast tournaments:
Ross Fisher - dropped 13 places from 3 to 16. As a result he was the last player to qualify for the original field at Honda.
Lingmerth - up to #2.
Karlsson - dropped 10 places to #37, failed in qualifying this week.
Henrik Norlander - moved up about ten spots, also failed to qualify this week.
When is a card a card? When it's a PGA Tour card - lots of fine print to be read.

9).Haven't seen any official records but would think that Honda, the longest running sponsorship of a PGA Tour event and in its 32nd year (just signed up for another four years), has been rewarded with the best field in the history of "The Honda Classic". Several factors contribute of course:
~The venue, PGA National, which was a typical Florida grind when I played it in the 80's distinguished only by the memory on one hole of a ball whizzing over our heads as we sauntered to our 200 yard drives. We looked round to see a cart hurtling towards us, a wide body at the wheel. "Just playing through," yelled Craig Stadler as he zoomed to his ball. But Nicklaus has tarted it up and redefined the "Bear Trap", 15, 16 and 17, since then, watery graves at every turn. Apparently in wonderful condition though. Europeans beware the grainy Bermuda greens.
~The migration of golf residences from Orlando to South Florida means that this is now a home game for many. (Next week too, of course.)
~The calendar, which means that, whilst this week may be a good chance for many Americans to take a breather, it's must-play for most overseas guys double-dipping on two Tours. Donald, Garcia, Harrington and Poulter are among the few notable European PGA Tour members not playing. Thrilled to see Casey get an invite for his first appearance in 6 months. Has he still got it? I'm hoping he has!

10).No idea of likely contenders this week - frankly a minefield of who's going to be up for it, who's just here to get in their required events. Wouldn't put it past Mr.Woods to make a statement as he came so close last year.
But one thing's for sure: Sam Saunders is playing the web.commer in Columbia so it won't be him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Scoring generally looks tricky this morning; at this rate the cut will have the +1's playing the weekend.
No-one's told Freddie Jacobson, flying out of the blocks.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Florida/Puerto Rico Swing: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by princedracula Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

C'mon Leee...! Even though he's Lee Westwood, a win here could be something of a breakthrough for hm...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

What the heck is going on with World #1? He's sure to have an early exit.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:34 pm

Rory's defence of his title has sunk without trace.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:57 pm

Didnt Mcilroy have a stinker of a period last season when he was struggling. Is it just that when he is good and consistent he is very very good. But when he is a bit off then he cannot grind it out or looses interest?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

Rory withdraws after being +7 for 8....and hit his approach into the water on the Par 5 18

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:16 pm

Rory said late last year that he was going to play less in 2013.

Who knew that he meant weekends.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

I'm sure he'll blame an injury but this is really poor form (in more ways than one) from the world number 1 and defending champion.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm

He's probably really tired after alll the golf he's played this year; 4 and a half rounds isn't it?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:37 pm

Who does he think he is?
Tiger Woods??
Serves bl00dy Nike right.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:39 pm

I think it's the new Nike Wanchor irons, they're probably too heavy for him. They're guaranteed to send you sinking down the leaderboard.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

Rors has NR'd - naughty boy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

So apparently the reason is he wasn't mentally there.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

by the way LW -show them who the real no.1 is.. Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:46 pm

sirbenson wrote:So apparently the reason is he wasn't mentally there.

tbh neither am i after going 7 over through 8 and then hitting the water on the 9th.

difference is i dont walk in¬!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:49 pm

Personally I don't think the problem are the clubs. As all pros have their clubs made for them, I doubt if there is that much difference between the Nike and Titleist clubs, at least in the way they perform.

However, I think he may have it in his head now that it's the clubs. I bet Faldo is having a quiet chuckle to himself!!

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

Severe wisdom tooth pain is the reason he is giving.

Last edited by sirbenson on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

the clubs dont make you 20 shot worse than normal..

Rors said the other week that he wasnt like other golfers and didnt have to practise.

That tells me one thing. He hasnt been practising and assumed he could just play to a half decent standard.

Rors has never ever been a consitant golfer. He really hasnt won many events either. he has allways been streaky. therefore i am not sure how he has come to this conculsion that he doesnt need to keep up the practise and game fitness like others!

Has going no.1 gone to his head?

Last edited by mystiroakey on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:54 pm

sirbenson wrote:Severe wisdom tooth pain is the reason he is giving.

I take it his agent has quickly txt him, after using the mentaly not there excuse!

That isnt something the sponsers or media will like!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

How's GMac doing?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

GMac has walked off too!! It's reported that he heard about Rors severe wisdom tooth pain and is going to find him and punch him in the mouth which will hopefully dislodge the offending tooth and knock some sense into him!!

Only joking of course, GMac currently -5 overall.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:24 pm

Completely unprofessional from Rory, just to walk off without saying anything to the organizers? All because he was having a poor round, really frustrates me when players withdraw furious

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:25 pm

sirbenson wrote:Severe wisdom tooth pain is the reason he is giving.
That's what he's said but my ariss that's the reason. Take some pain killers and get it done. Rapidly losing any like of McIlroy, exceptional player though he may be.

Edit: I wonder if McIlroy has noticed the irony of relating his withdrawal to a problem with a wisdom tooth?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:31 pm

Advantage Tiger.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

Not surprising when someone sticks $250m in your bank account.

Brandt Snedeker for the next number one?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

Looks more like advantage Michael Thompson to me.
Terrific, Brian Davis-like (only worse) season to date:
Cut
T78
Cut
Cut

Should be a Stewards Inquiry.

I see that something called "Ever Bank" is sponsoring this year's Tampa Bay Classic - one of the more anonymous names for a (presumably) financial institution.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:08 pm

This is no looking good for RM overall not just this event.Fine line between good and average and hes on the wrong side at present.Our old buddy jeff carnage posting on the BBC top man

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

Birdie train for Fisher...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:15 pm

Seems like signing for Nike (the Gola of Golf) turns you into a bell end.

Amstrong, Baldy Nine Chins, Pistorious and now McIlroy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:39 pm

Come on SR up your game.

Wheres the nickname for Mcilroy.

He must have done enough to warrant one!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

Very good round for Jamie Donaldson, good to see him playing well over here with limited opportunities. Be good too to see Fish parring in - hope he's playing Puerto Rico next week.

With notable exceptions some good British performances so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Come on SR up your game.

Wheres the nickname for Mcilroy.

He must have done enough to warrant one!

I had one yesterday Oakey. I referred to him as Spud Face.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

super_realist wrote:
Not likely, Woods will be #1 by July. Expect wins at the Arnold Palmer, Masters and Memorial.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Not likely, Woods will be #1 by July. Expect wins at the Arnold Palmer, Masters and Memorial.

Laugh I see you haven't lost your sense of humour Inco.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

Camilo has put all his effort in trying to squander his R1 lead and has had a lot of success doin that: he even looks like missing the cut!

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:20 pm

spud face is a bit un PC dude!

how about 9 excuses?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Camilo -- from leading to cut could be something.

Nice to see Ogilvy in the mix ... and O'Hair!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

super_realist wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Laugh I see you haven't lost your sense of humour Inco.

westy will be on a charge

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Oh Camilo,
Midge Ure at last has a sequel . . . .

Rory may not have withdrawn yet from next week's Cadillac due to a dental appointment, but Brandt Snedeker certainly won't be there, still complaining about his ribs.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:28 pm

mystiroakey wrote:spud face is a bit un PC dude!

how about 9 excuses?

Why/how is that Un PC?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

I've never bought into the Villegas myth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

Do I really need to point it out dude!

spuds- potatoes- irish blah blah!

WHo has bought in to the villigas myth.

However he is deffo gay if thats what your talking about!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:39 pm

You know, this Rory quitting mid round doesn't count as a missed cut.

I hope he's got some wisdom tooth pain ... otherwise pathetic behavior.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:39 pm

weren't Villegas and Anthony Kim the next big things circa 2008? come to think of it, what's Kim up to these days?

always thought Camillo was more style than substance

Last edited by incontinentia on Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm

Yeah Kim was certainly the touted American, then fowler- who has more chance tbh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:44 pm

Fowler, Wie, Villegas, Kim all failed to live up to the hype/promise.

Too much money too soon I think.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Fowler's doing ok. Just looked up KIm there apparently he had achilles surgery last June and was supposed to be out for 9-12 months. I'm sure he'll be back, serious talent.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:54 pm

the thing with golf is that you can become good at a later age. players rise from nowhere..

just because you skilled at 18 doesnt mean you will get better.

The american media is just the same in reagrds to there sports as the british are to footy stars!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

Mysti - True that! Remember Ty Tyron and even Michelle Wie?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:16 pm

I just googled Ty because I couldnt work out who he was. But when I saw a pic I remebered him. What happened there?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next