The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farewell Wellies

+2
LondonTiger
Looseheaded
6 posters

Go down

Farewell Wellies Empty Farewell Wellies

Post by Looseheaded Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:22 pm

Jones is the most capped player of all time in Wales, and the second highest points scorer of all time for Wales. On and off the field he has been a major influence on a generation of Welsh players and a great role model. Jones will join Dai Young's coaching team at London Wasps from next season, having decided that the time is right for him to retire from playing.

Jones will retire having achieved a huge amount in the game at club and international level and with a stellar career behind him. The 104-time capped Jones represented the Scarlets and Clermont Auvergne before joining London Wasps, and his impressive accolades also include six test matches for the British and Irish Lions as a double tourist in 2005 and 2009.

He has scored a total of 970 points in 110 Test matches (104 for Wales and 6 for the British and Irish Lions). He has scored seven tries, all for Wales; kicked 198 penalties (186 for Wales and 12 for the Lions); 160 conversions (153 for Wales and 7 for the Lions); and 7 drop goals (six for Wales and 1 for the Lions).

Jones has played an important role for London Wasps on and off the pitch this season and will continue to be a key figure for the rest of the season. His enthusiasm and positivity has been his trade mark in an incredible career, one of the greatest Number 10s of all time, and having made 11 appearances so far for Wasps this season, he has played a significant role in the Club's recent upturn of fortunes.

Jones said: "I feel incredibly lucky to have played for some fantastic sides down through the years and I feel the time is right for me now to make the transition into coaching, which is what I have always wanted to do. There is an opportunity for me to do that at London Wasps and I am very excited about the next step of my career.

"I want to say a huge thanks to everyone at the Scarlets, Clermont Auvergne and London Wasps - and I feel grateful to have worn three fantastic professional club shirts in my career. I also feel honoured to have pulled on the Wales and British and Irish Lions shirts and I appreciate everyone involved in those sides as well as the supporters who have been there and backed me throughout my playing days. I am taking with me some incredible memories and experiences."

London Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: "I always thought Stephen would make an excellent coach and everything I have seen of him this season backs that up. It is sad to see him retire but what we are losing on the field we are gaining off it. I have always admired Stephen's tactical nous and I think he will be an excellent member of our coaching team. In the meantime we have some massive games coming up and Stephen is going to play a big part as a player in the coming months."

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/25087.php#.US-EERmRlFQ

if a mod considers this valid in International section then feel free to move it

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Farewell Wellies Empty Re: Farewell Wellies

Post by LondonTiger Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:25 pm

A quality rugby player - and always seemed a decent bloke. i am glad he was able to retire when he was ready to and reckon he will become a damn fine coach.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:40 pm

Sad to see him go, father time waits for no man and all that, not even the great Stephen Jones!

If he is half as talented a coach as he is a player, then the future of Wasps is bright and the Welsh boys may see him return to the MS.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

I don't really agree that he is one of the great 10's (although on stats alone I guess he is) like it says in the article but he was a damn good international 10 for many years and a player who made the absolute most of his ability. Thoroughly deserved to tour and play the tests on the Lions tours of '05 & '09.

Always one of my favorite 'Home Nation' players and remember him being interviewed at the cricket in Cardiff just after returning home with the '09 Lions - seemed a normal down to earth kind of guy. Agree with others that I think he will make a good coach and glad he is going out on his own terms whilst continuing to perform at a decent level.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

To be fair he had one hell of a career at club and international (and Lions) level.

No matter who it was that was thrown in his path as the next messiah Stevo managed to raise to the challenge and retain his shirt. For Wales he send Iestyn Thomas, Gavin Henson, James Hook, Nicky Robinson, Ceri Sweeney and Dan Biggar packing when they were after his shirt. And even for the Lions he was first choice fly half even when there were the likes of O'Gara and Wilkinson in contention for the shirt.

Add to that the fact he only picked up one yellow card in his long career, and that was an arguable 'tip tackle' right when refs were going of the top on it (post RWC, Versus the Ospreys at the Library). I honetly doubt I will see another fly half of his quality in my life time.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

One of my faveourite Stevo moments was against the Dragons at Stradey. They had a drop 22 which was kick straight to Stevo right on the far touchline, he took a drop goal attempt, which missed. The next drop 22 went to him again, and another wide attempt with a drop goal. The third drop 22 went to him again, and with a huge grin on his face he took a third drop goal attempt. He was practically wetting himself whent eh next drop out went straight to him, and then he spread the ball to the back instead.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:18 am

ScarletSpiderman

I wouldn't say he sent JW packing in 05.... They both started in the 1st test and Jones was dropped for the 2nd and had JW not got injured he would have stayed on as starting 10.... regardless of him being only half fit for the tour.

Jones was a top class player though, perhaps not the very best of his era but he played at such a consistent standard for so long. His kicking was pretty poor at the beginning/mid career but he really shored that up by the end.

I can't recall him ever having to many bad games for his country. A guy like him IMO will make a top coach... talented but not a genius, a worker and a level headed guy.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:25 am

fa - I would argue that Wilko was moved to inside centre for that first test because he was not seen to be as good a fly half as Jones.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:32 am

ScarletSpiderman

Swings and roundabouts really on the 1st test. Arguably yes, Jones was the form 10 leading up from my own memory, but his kicking was not consistent enough to play without a kicker (like Townsend in 97)... I think it was about the mid 60%'s of that years 6N.... perhaps 20% down from what you'd then and now expect/want from your 10.

He was dropped for the 2nd test probably for that reason.

Come the next series that was all put to bed however as he became an accomplished test quality kicker in his own right.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down