The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?

+12
Sam
mbernz
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
doctor_grey
yappysnap
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
Effervescing Elephant
aitchw
formerly known as Sam
t1000advancedprototype
16 posters

Go down

Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?  Empty Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:50 am

I reckon he will end up in France again or possibly Worcester.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?  Empty Re: Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:02 am

Lyn Jones to Dragons, Henson to follow?!

Back to top Go down

Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?  Empty Re: Who will sign Henson if London Welsh get relegated?

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 am

I reckon he'll stay at Welsh. He needs a season without injury and incident and he will rip up the Championship if he's anywhere near form. That would be a good avertisment for himself, running to somewhere else would hardly make him look loyal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:24 am

Sam, can't see his ego surviving a year in the Championship plus there would be at least 4 clubs in that league who will be pushing hard for promotion next season. I can't see Welsh (or anyone else) doing a Falcons next season.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 am

This Championship season isn't over yet. Newcastle still have to make it through the playoffs. It's a tough league to get out off. Not many teams really need a 10 for next season either.

Off the top of my head.

Newcastle - Clegg, Hodgson
Sale - McLeod, Cipriani
Tigers - Flood, Lamb, Bowden
Saints - Myler, some random Kiwi
Glaws - Burns, Mills, Taylor
Worcester - Warwick, Mieres
Bath - Heathcote, Ford, Donald
Bristol - Robinson, Jarvis
LI - Humphreys, Geraghty
Wasps - Goode, Carlisle, Bell
Exeter - Steenson, Slade, the other guy that's on loan at Bedford
Quins - Evans, Botica
Sarries - Hodgson, Farrell

Don't think any other AP clubs would have the finances. I suppose Exeter, Worcester or Newcastle might do a deal if the price was right but they'd be some real adapting to be done for him at those clubs (their coaches aren't famous for compromising on the team ethos).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 am

It might be time for him to start thinking about Japan. Whistle

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 pm

He wouldn't fit in at Chiefs. Not the right personality at all.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Why not Sale? He'd need to be persuaded to move to 12 though, and play outside Cipriani.

Certainly plenty of talent there, and on paper they compliment each other nicely. If Sale can harden up the pack and give those two a platform, then Sale would be a different proposition next season.

Richie Gray and Richie Vernon are both leaving Sale, so they'll certainly have the budget.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:14 pm

As a player he would fit quite nicely at WR. He knocked us back last time though, so I cannot see any talks happening again.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Theoretically he'd be the perfect 10 or 12 for any top club. Just not Quins.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm

LondonTiger wrote:As a player he would fit quite nicely at WR. He knocked us back last time though, so I cannot see any talks happening again.

Did Tigers put in an offer to him then? Was this before you got Flood?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 pm

yappysnap wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:As a player he would fit quite nicely at WR. He knocked us back last time though, so I cannot see any talks happening again.

Did Tigers put in an offer to him then? Was this before you got Flood?

He was reported as visiting Oval Park iduring the 2007/8 season I think. Just before Flood joined and around the time Gav went to live in London with Ms Church.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:29 pm

I'd give him a go at Saints. We need another out half and, if he continues to play well, might be a big missing piece of the green, gold, and black puzzle.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Saints is a good shout, I could see that working.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 pm

Henson has got to be a number of steps up over Ryan Lamb. Besides, it puts me in a position to get a lot of stick from everyone else if we sign Henson. Lot's o fodder for good quality trash talking. I think I might even go to a tanning booth today.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Sam I don't think anyone could accuse Henson of being loyal with 4 clubs in 3 seasons!

Yappysnap nor Saracens!

Sale or Saints in my opinion would be two ports of call for him as already mentioned. Good calls.

As already mentioned by FES he could work with his like minded soul Danny.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Griff wrote:Lyn Jones to Dragons, Henson to follow?!

I was thinking a similar thing. Lyn is most likely going to be looking for a new job, as after all he has to have one eye on the welsh job in 2015 (or earlier if the Lions bite Gats ass), so a move to a Rabo side may well be on the cards. I can't see the Scarlets, Blues or Ospreys wanting/needing him. So that would leave the Dragons as first choice, or maybe an outside bet on Edinburgh? And I would not rule out Henson being given a last-last-last-final-last-chance at whatever club Lyn goes to, as apparently he has not played too shabby since his latest comeback.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:30 pm

If someone was raiding London Welsh for a FH, they'd be better off going for Gordon Ross. LW have won 4 games in the premiership this season and Henson has only played in 1 of them, where he came off after 60mins with them losing 6-9, Ross came on and they won 16-9.

I know Henson is the big name, but given how well LW were doing at the beginning of the season with the 3 year club experienced Ross at the helm I think it's been a mistake for them to change tack and begin starting Henson the last couple of months, and not even bringing Ross off the bench for the last 3 matches.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 am

yappysnap wrote:Theoretically he'd be the perfect 10 or 12 for any top club. Just not Quins.

He could be our 3rd Choice 10 and 12 behind Evans/Botica and JTH/Casson Whistle

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am

mbernz wrote:If someone was raiding London Welsh for a FH, they'd be better off going for Gordon Ross. LW have won 4 games in the premiership this season and Henson has only played in 1 of them, where he came off after 60mins with them losing 6-9, Ross came on and they won 16-9.

I know Henson is the big name, but given how well LW were doing at the beginning of the season with the 3 year club experienced Ross at the helm I think it's been a mistake for them to change tack and begin starting Henson the last couple of months, and not even bringing Ross off the bench for the last 3 matches.

I've been very impressed with Gordon Ross this season. Obviously I remember him well from his Scotland days but he's been an effective fly half this season in the Aviva.

He should have had more Scotland caps back in the day. Always underrated.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:23 am

Ross is having a good season but he dropped out of contention for a reason. He was competent but not much more. At Leeds he didn't set the world on fire and delivered as many average performances as good ones. Pleased for him that this season has gone well as I think he's better than he's shown for a couple of seasons before that. Certainly rate him above Henson as a club player.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:35 am

Surely if Henson leaves welsh, his career is going to wind down? Hes 31, has a ton of baggage, no reputation of loyalty and hasnt performed for a long time now.

Never before has a player been able to get contract after contract on the back of sailors wives tales.

The people i feel bad for are the ones who have had to play second fiddle to him throughout his career, the latest being Gordon Ross. Model pro's who put in hard work and commitment, yet get constantly overlooked in favour of a lazy narcisist who is more interested in furthering his own profile than bleeding for the teams he plays for.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:38 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:Hes 31, has a ton of baggage, no reputation of loyalty and hasnt performed for a long time now.

Never before has a player been able to get contract after contract on the back of sailors wives tales.

Sounds like a Bradley signing!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 am

yappysnap wrote:Theoretically he'd be the perfect 10 or 12 for any top club. Just not Quins.

Nor Glaws
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:Surely if Henson leaves welsh, his career is going to wind down? Hes 31, has a ton of baggage, no reputation of loyalty and hasnt performed for a long time now.

The people i feel bad for are the ones who have had to play second fiddle to him throughout his career, the latest being Gordon Ross. Model pro's who put in hard work and commitment, yet get constantly overlooked in favour of a lazy narcisist who is more interested in furthering his own profile than bleeding for the teams he plays for.

You sound like you blame Henson for being picked. He is forcing no one to pick him. He didn't sign himself to Saracens, Toulon, Blues and LW. You have to ask yourself what the likes of Venter, the Toulon boss, and Lyn Jones saw in him. Why experienced, fairly successful coaches wanted to sign him? Then ask what they know that you and other 606v2 posters don't. Maybe, just maybe as pro coaches they are able to tell a decent player better than us on here?

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 am

We'll have him at the Dragons please, bring all the Welsh players home Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 am

aitchw wrote:It might be time for him to start thinking about Japan. Whistle

Now theres no Lions tour and no world cup to aim for it really wouldnt be a bad idea for him aside firm the kids issue. He coudl command a decent fee out there and be away from some of the BS he faces here. It would draw a line under any faint hope he had of another wales cap, but each year that lessens anyway regardless of how well he plays.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:04 am

Was only slightly tongue in cheek, PSW. He must be running out of options here.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:55 am

mbernz wrote:If someone was raiding London Welsh for a FH, they'd be better off going for Gordon Ross.

Gordon Ross's 35th birthday today. Could have sworn he was older than that.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:39 am

Griff wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:Surely if Henson leaves welsh, his career is going to wind down? Hes 31, has a ton of baggage, no reputation of loyalty and hasnt performed for a long time now.

You sound like you blame Henson for being picked. He is forcing no one to pick him. He didn't sign himself to Saracens, Toulon, Blues and LW. You have to ask yourself what the likes of Venter, the Toulon boss, and Lyn Jones saw in him. Why experienced, fairly successful coaches wanted to sign him? Then ask what they know that you and other 606v2 posters don't. Maybe, just maybe as pro coaches they are able to tell a decent player better than us on here?

I dont blame him for being picked at all, I just dont see why people fawn over a player who is more hastle than hes worth. And I stand by my belief that hes an arrogant disgrace to his teammates who are far more professional than he ever has been. If he actually brought his rugby ability to the field more than once every 5 years then fair enough, but he lives off this reputation built upon two 6N's performances and so many people (read:welsh) forget about everything else.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:39 am

BigDave, Henson is his generations version of Barry John, disappeared at the hight of his game leaving people wondering what if. Sadly people tend to hang on to the memory of hem being good and forget what they became.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 am

If he's his generation's Barry John that's incredibly sad.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down